Canada - Marie-France Comeau, 37, & Jessica Lloyd, 27, slain, Ont, 2009 & 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he is found guilty of the charges will he be allowed to petition the crown for transfer to military prison? I can't find anything that explains this in layman's terms.....It all seems to foggy for me to grasp...

Williams turned himself in to Ottawa police Sunday after getting a call from the OPP. They wanted to question him after learning tracks from a crime scene were a close match to the treads of his truck’s snow tires.

It was after that interview, conducted by an OPP behavioural sciences expert, that police discovered the body of Jessica Lloyd
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Canada+general+shock+over+military+murder+probe/2548027/story.html

I did not realize the order of these events, I read earlier that he was brought in and questioned, now I read that he turned himself in after the call. hmmm so many versions....

I'm not convinced that Williams led LE to Jessica's body, and as Flipflop has pointed out, there are several different versions as to what happened. This Toronto Star article also suggests that Jessica's body was found by police on the Monday after Williams was interviewed and arrested on the Sunday. This article does not confirm that he confessed to anything. Maybe the media are being asked to not mention these previous details. From the article:

On Thursday, Feb. 4, one week after Lloyd went missing, the Ontario Provincial Police put up a roadblock on Hwy. 37, which connects Belleville with Tweed, not far from her red brick bungalow.

From 7 p.m. that evening until 6 a.m. Friday, officers stopped every vehicle travelling in either direction and asked questions.

They were looking to match unusual tire treads found outside Lloyd's house.

Williams, behind the wheel of his Pathfinder – not the BMW he usually drove – was reportedly stopped. An officer noticed his tire treads resembled the ones left at Lloyd's home.

Investigators won't say what happened next, but by Sunday Williams agreed to sit down for a chat with a behavioural sciences expert from the provincial police. Some reports say he confessed to dozens of lingerie break-ins, but police will not confirm. He was arrested later that day and, on Monday, Feb. 8, officers found Lloyd's body on a dirt road near Tweed.

Williams was charged with the two murders and two sexual assaults. He has made one court appearance and will appear in court again via video-link on Feb. 18.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/764948--life-and-times-of-col-russell-williams?bn=1

I'm not convinced that Williams led LE to Jessica's body, and as Flipflop has pointed out, there are several different versions as to what happened. This Toronto Star article also suggests that Jessica's body was found by police on the Monday after Williams was interviewed and arrested on the Sunday. This article does not confirm that he confessed to anything. Maybe the media are being asked to not mention these previous details. From the article:

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/764948--life-and-times-of-col-russell-williams?bn=1

I concur. I do not believe that he led them the location of the body. He may have told them the approximate location. And to avoid contributing to the rumour mill I will leave it at that. But this is all just my opinion, which may not be worth anything.

I'm not sure how reliable information provided by a "source" can be, but the Globe and Mail has published an article stating that - according to a "source" - Jessica Lloyd was strangled, as well as Corporal Comeau. The "source" claims that Comeau was blind-folded and gagged before being asphyxiated, even though the theory is that she was meant to live.

I don't buy that. She knew him and even if she couldn't see his face she would know his voice and presence. Why would he let her live when there was a good possibility she could have identified him.

(BBM)

I believe the experts who have been quoted as saying that it's unlikely that a sexual offender like RW would have just begun committing these type of crimes at age 46. I'm pretty sure that he has committed many similar offenses, going back a decade or longer. There have been comments from profilers about escalation and de-escalation in the severity of these type of crimes. But RW doesn't seem to fit any previous mould and I have a theory. It's merely speculation and mostly based on this quote from one of his alleged victims:

“You’re going to kill me, aren’t you?” she asked him, early on.

“No need for that,” he replied."

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/cana...id=MARK-MSUN9-SMedia_Calgarysun-EN20090113NB1

Is it possible that this man has committed both sexual assaults and murders in the past, with the culmination dependent upon whether or not the victim could identify him? Suppose his primary motives were the voyeuristic and sexually sadistic nature of the crimes, with murder committed only as a necessity? That his perverted thrills came from the former two, but not from the murder? A true psychopath would not stop at killing, but if the need for it wasn't part of his pathology, he may have considered it a higher risk and resorted to it only when unavoidable. This could explain a back-and-forth shift of his MO.

Again this is just an amateur theory and posted as speculation.

JMO

Williams turned himself in to Ottawa police Sunday after getting a call from the OPP. They wanted to question him after learning tracks from a crime scene were a close match to the treads of his truck’s snow tires.

It was after that interview, conducted by an OPP behavioural sciences expert, that police discovered the body of Jessica Lloyd
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Canada+general+shock+over+military+murder+probe/2548027/story.html

I did not realize the order of these events, I read earlier that he was brought in and questioned, now I read that he turned himself in after the call. hmmm so many versions....

This appears to be the first article saying he turned himself in. Previous ones said he was arrested at his home in Ottawa.

Another article yesterday said he would be financially responsible for his own legal counsel, which will be non-military. However, he will continue to be paid by the military. If he is found guilty, he will be required to repay his salary from the date the charges were laid.

NBG, did you forget to include a link? I'd like to read that. TIA

BBM - Dream on! LOL.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ary-has-failed-to-pass-muster/article1465052/

Is that the one referred to? I doubt that many Canadians would filter out the minutiae between what he calls "attitude" and "morale". The common usage "bad attitude" seems comprehensive. I think that particular comment is more PR bluster than anything. "Bad attitude" and "great morale" would be a contradiction to the average person. Speaking as an average person.

They were looking to match unusual tire treads found outside Lloyd's house.

Why not kill her there at the house? He got away with leaving evidence at the homes of the other victims so what made him change his MO?..As it turns out it was his car (tires) that did him in so it didn't really matter & he also faced the risk of being seen dumping her body..All in all he wasn't very cautious or just plain arrogant.

Does anyone make a connection between the theft of a baby blanket and the family rift his brother Harvey talked about?

Here is a man who was stayed in Canada at boarding school while his mother and stepfather lived overseas. He then seems to have cut ties with his mother and brother, following the breakdown of his mother's second marriage.

And he has no children from his marriage.

BBM. No. Canada has double jeopardy laws similar to the US.

"“66. (1) A person may not be tried or tried again in respect of an offence or any other substantially similar offence arising out of the facts that gave rise to the offence if, while subject to the Code of Service Discipline in respect of that offence, or if, while liable to be charged, dealt with and tried under the Code in respect of that offence, the person

(a) has been found not guilty by a service tribunal, civil court or court of a foreign state on a charge of having committed that offence; or

(b) has been found guilty by a service tribunal, civil court or court of a foreign state on a charge of having committed that offence and has been punished in accordance with the sentence."

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qro-orf/vol-02/doc/chapter-chapitre-102.pdf

So here's another question. What if that same person was linked to another crime in addition to the current ones? For this example, let's say it was a murder of a cadet at a military college? If such a murder was initially investigated by MPs, even though it was at a military college rather than a base, how would it be handled? If the person faced concurrent or subsequent charges, and was convicted of a military college murder, how would any prison terms, lawyers, etc. be handled? Would the person serve civilian time first, then serve time at a military prison, or could the person perhaps work out a deal to serve all the time at a military prison? Would the prison time on civilian charges have to be served before a military trial even began? Or is this something that has never happened before, in Canada? Purely theoretical, of course.

Why not kill her there at the house? He got away with leaving evidence at the homes of the other victims so what made him change his MO?..As it turns out it was his car (tires) that did him in so it didn't really matter & he also faced the risk of being seen dumping her body..All in all he wasn't very cautious or just plain arrogant.

I wonder if she went willingly somewhere with him? Was there a ruse in play, or were there signs of a struggle at her home? Or was this person already in the home waiting for her? These are all things we don't know, because the police will never reveal evidence pending a trial. Sometimes such things are also kept secret from the family.

If she was taken somewhere on a ruse, then realized she was in danger and struggled to escape, this could explain the change in MO. I believe that circumstances change events, so MOs change depending on circumstances.

Does anyone make a connection between the theft of a baby blanket and the family rift his brother Harvey talked about?

Here is a man who was stayed in Canada at boarding school while his mother and stepfather lived overseas. He then seems to have cut ties with his mother and brother, following the breakdown of his mother's second marriage.

And he has no children from his marriage.

I considered the angle of a deep-rooted psychological reason behind the theft of the baby blankets. Another possibility is that the blankets were used to wipe up DNA evidence and removed to eliminate this clue. Thankfully, he didn't think of everything.

JMO

I wonder if she went willingly somewhere with him? Was there a ruse in play, or were there signs of a struggle at her home? Or was this person already in the home waiting for her? These are all things we don't know, because the police will never reveal evidence pending a trial. Sometimes such things are also kept secret from the family.

If she was taken somewhere on a ruse, then realized she was in danger and struggled to escape, this could explain the change in MO. I believe that circumstances change events, so MOs change depending on circumstances.

(BBM)

These are good questions and the bolded one has been brought up before. I don't believe RW was waiting in his victims' homes in any of the cases. He needed, and obviously used, his vehicle. A strange car parked in the driveway or nearby would have alerted the victims and neighbours. At least one woman who was assaulted was caught unaware while asleep at 2:00 a.m. Jessica sent a text at 10:30 p.m. saying she was safely home (and I believe it was indeed she who sent it; for the perp to do it would be a stupid, unnecessary risk). I believe that he broke into Jessica's home after she went to bed, and disabled her enough to take her away in his vehicle - assaulting and murdering her elsewhere. Hence, no sign of a struggle (or at least little enough that LE kept up the pretense that she may still have been alive when she vanished).

The missing link here is the case of Marie-France. She was seen by the neighbours leaving home in the morning and returning during the lunch hour. She was found dead shortly after by her boyfriend. This would have been a daytime attack. Where was the perp's vehicle and did the neighbours not spot it in that short time span?

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache...nch&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

JMO

RIP, JESSICA
:(

This appears to be the first article saying he turned himself in. Previous ones said he was arrested at his home in Ottawa.

Another article yesterday said he would be financially responsible for his own legal counsel, which will be non-military. However, he will continue to be paid by the military. If he is found guilty, he will be required to repay his salary from the date the charges were laid.

that's kinda dumb ... how's he gonna repay his salary while incarcerated?

he may have arranged to turn himself in to authorities at his home and was therefore arrested there ... just a thought

I considered the angle of a deep-rooted psychological reason behind the theft of the baby blankets. Another possibility is that the blankets were used to wipe up DNA evidence and removed to eliminate this clue. Thankfully, he didn't think of everything.

JMO

I'm leaning toward the dna angle. He just took them to remove 'evidence' IMO.

that's kinda dumb ... how's he gonna repay his salary while incarcerated?

he may have arranged to turn himself in to authorities at his home and was therefore arrested there ... just a thought

...Especially after hiring an expensive legal team, unless he's planning to act as his own counsel!

The media is really digging up anything coincidental from his past...

The coincidence – Williams, a boarder at the school at the same time Brown was molesting students – is hard to ignore although there is currently no evidence indicating they, in fact, crossed paths. Brown, who remained at UCC until 1993, was reached by the Star. He said he never had any contact with Williams
http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/764948--life-and-times-of-col-russell-williams

I just thought of something disturbing. I hope he doesn't try to claim PTSD after being in a war zone. Aargh!

He says the strange theft happened Jan. 28, the night Lloyd disappeared from her Belleville home.

"So is my coat, my gloves and my lighter with her body?" he said recently. "Or is it in his house here? Where is it?"

VERY interesting article, really looks like RW was trying to frame the neighbour. I bet they find his missing articles! So glad they made the arrest on RW before they came across the neighbours belongings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz