WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
The spec home was searched right after the body was found....

Didn't someone say recently they talked with a Spec House neighbor who saw 'SOMETHING,' and that the Police were there the night before the body of MC was found? And am I correct in recalling that LE won't reveal the location of the last cell phone ping?

Trying to catch up with everything on WS while still going about daily life . . .

A couple of observations: Regarding the comments about JF's estranged wife saying that he wasn't capable of doing something like this (or words to that effect) - If you were SF, would you risk saying anything to the contrary? If she had any kind of feeling at all that he could possibly be a killer she certainly wouldn't take a chance of "outing" him for fear of retaliation. I'm in no way saying he should be the POI, I'm just saying that we can't rely on statements of a soon-to-be-ex who could very well be fearful. It has been mentioned on here that he possibly has a bad temper and is not nice to women.

Second - MOO - I spoke to a young adult recently, just to see what the teens and young adults are saying. I asked if it is thought that it could possibly be drug related and the comment was "well yeah, of course", like it should be common knowledge. I asked this person if s/he knew MC personally and the answer was no, but s/he knew "of her" and that her car was well known downtown. The term "she was a plastic" was used. (Anyone have insight on that?)

This is speculation ONLY - and I'm not passing this along to ruin the reputation of this poor girl, nor am I insinuating in any way that she was a bad person. Nobody deserved what happened to her! I'm just letting you know what some of the "young crowd" is saying. Drugs are much more prevalent than many people in our small town can even imagine. We tend to bury our heads in the sand when it makes us uncomfortable.

Also, MOO, if LE is watching WC's house it is probably for protection.

Check urban dictionary for the definition of "plastic". It could refer to drug use or being pretentious. I think I posted a while back about the prevelence of drug use among our young people. It wasn't until this happened that I started questioning the young people around me and found it's huge. Specifically, prescription meds (oxycontin, vicodin, xanax, percocets, etc.). These drugs are HIGHLY addictive and hard to kick. They are also a big money maker. ONE 80 mg oxycontin pill can go for $80-$100. If the people around her were desperate for money and lived a life of crime and sustance abuse or had friends/acquintances that did, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think this may be drug related. Even good kids can get hooked. This is all JMOO and not based on any facts.

I think that last ping could have been at the spec house. There was no other reason to search it...right?? (This is not fact...just a guess.)

Yeah, this to me speaks VOLUMES! I have believed all along that they have a POI and they have just kept it hush hush until lab results come back.

It makes me sad for Mackenzie that she was referred to as "plastic". Teens these days can be soooo misunderstood and I am sure that is exactly the case here. She had soo much going for her. Even if she dabbled in drugs a little that doesn't mean she wasn't a good girl.

FactsAlthough Wenatchee is not a huge community, the high school has the 6th largest student body poulation in the state- 2200+ students. The majority of students only come in contact with those in their "inner circle" and don't even know of or about most of their fellow students. It's a large, varied group that includes at least 100+ gang members.

I don't know which kids said she was plastic and I never knew MC, but I do know quite a few personally who are listed on her "friend list" on Facebook.

Opinion based upon first hand interactionThe majority of those kids are good kids from a variety of backgrounds. Most are fairly popular kids. Dozens are involved in school and community extra curricular affairs including school sports and the like. Although there are a handful who are pictured with beverages, etc (yes I saw the dude blowing smoke), these are by far the minority.

Yes, gangs, although kept at bay, are present. Go to nearly any high school in Eastern Wa where hispanic folks have been brought to town by agriculture (Wenatchee, Yakima, etc.) and you will find youth gangs. They stir up some community trouble, but compared to major city (LA,etc.) gangs they are pretty harmless. At school, rarely are there conflicts as these kids pretty much keep to themselves.

I have know several kids who were tagged with labels (druggie, plastic, etc.) in that school that were the absolute opposite of what they were about. This could be the case with MC. This comment could apply to hundreds of kids who are being judged by one outside their peer "circle".

OpinionEvery fact we have seen presented about MC projects a pretty good girl. From the folks I have spoken with, I have heard nothing to refute this. I'm inclined to believe she was a pretty good kid who met an untimely end because of circumstances that were initiated much more by the person who killed her than by her own volition.

Just caught up on all the overnight chit chat on here. I too have a couple thoughts that I mentioned early on... I believe her car keys are still missing and that LE did not say anything because they were waiting and watching. I believe the killer has had those keys the entire time, and they were a means for him to get back into a place (spec home) where they had been prior to this. I think that is why the spec home was searched before they found her body too. I concur that the last cell phone ping came from the spec home and that is why they searched there BEFORE her body was found. Add to that the fact that she possibly had a spec home key on her car key ring that is missing and that gives more than enough reason to search there prior to the body discovery. The million dollar question is, what did the person who visited the spec home see?

FactsAlthough Wenatchee is not a huge community, the high school has the 6th largest student body poulation in the state- 2200+ students. The majority of students only come in contact with those in their "inner circle" and don't even know of or about most of their fellow students. It's a large, varied group that includes at least 100+ gang members.

I don't know which kids said she was plastic and I never knew MC, but I do know quite a few personally who are listed on her "friend list" on Facebook.

Opinion based upon first hand interactionThe majority of those kids are good kids from a variety of backgrounds. Most are fairly popular kids. Dozens are involved in school and community extra curricular affairs including school sports and the like. Although there are a handful who are pictured with beverages, etc (yes I saw the dude blowing smoke), these are by far the minority.

Yes, gangs, although kept at bay, are present. Go to nearly any high school in Eastern Wa where hispanic folks have been brought to town by agriculture (Wenatchee, Yakima, etc.) and you will find youth gangs. They stir up some community trouble, but compared to major city (LA,etc.) gangs they are pretty harmless. At school, rarely are there conflicts as these kids pretty much keep to themselves.

I have know several kids who were tagged with labels (druggie, plastic, etc.) in that school that were the absolute opposite of what they were about. This could be the case with MC. This comment could apply to hundreds of kids who are being judged by one outside their peer "circle".

OpinionEvery fact we have seen presented about MC projects a pretty good girl. From the folks I have spoken with, I have heard nothing to refute this. I'm inclined to believe she was a pretty good kid who met an untimely end because of circumstances that were initiated much more by the person who killed her than by her own volition.

Exactly my sentiments. The reason I've been so drawn to this case is because this child seemed to be doing everything right, planning for her future, and she didn't let the taunting or teasing discourage her. It's very sad that she never got to realize her huge potential.

Thanks so much for this post.

Check urban dictionary for the definition of "plastic". It could refer to drug use or being pretentious. I think I posted a while back about the prevelence of drug use among our young people. It wasn't until this happened that I started questioning the young people around me and found it's huge. Specifically, prescription meds (oxycontin, vicodin, xanax, percocets, etc.). These drugs are HIGHLY addictive and hard to kick. They are also a big money maker. ONE 80 mg oxycontin pill can go for $80-$100. If the people around her were desperate for money and lived a life of crime and sustance abuse or had friends/acquintances that did, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think this may be drug related. Even good kids can get hooked. This is all JMOO and not based on any facts.

I believe the term "Plastic" originated from the movie "Mean Girls." Heres the movie plot and the definition of "the Plastics":

"It opens on the new girl and her first day of school. Cady (Lindsay Lohan) has been living in Africa, which as we all know is really a much more sanitized version of Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom. Now her family has moved back to America and she’s forced to make the transition from lifelong home schooling to a public high school riddled with cliques and teenager cliché’s. At first she’s ostracized and thus makes friends with a pair of castoffs who’ve fallen prey to the school’s most powerful clique, “The Plastics”. “The Plastics” are shallow hot chicks who follow the lead of the sexiest and b*tchiest girl in school." http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/Mean-Girls-502.html

I am in no way implying MC was this type of person. MC appeared to be a popular girl, very pretty, and responsible young adult. I'm just relaying info I've seen on the term "Plastic."

Any maybe because of the missing keys, WC worries someone will try to break into her house or the spec house, using those keys. Even if she changed the locks, on both houses, the person who has the keys could still try to use them.

About being called or labeled plastic: I would rather be "plastic" than some of the other names, or labels, kids give other kids. Kids who call a girl plastic just maybe jealous of her.

Yeah, this to me speaks VOLUMES! I have believed all along that they have a POI and they have just kept it hush hush until lab results come back.

It makes me sad for Mackenzie that she was referred to as "plastic". Teens these days can be soooo misunderstood and I am sure that is exactly the case here. She had soo much going for her. Even if she dabbled in drugs a little that doesn't mean she wasn't a good girl.

IMO:
I have my own personal reasons not to have faith in local LE, but I take some solace in the fact that other agencies such as the FBI have been involved. And I believe that they do indeed have a POI and that everything they are saying and letting out is what they need to do to bide some time until all the results are back. I've always wondered WHY they released the video of her crossing the parking lot and getting into her car. I don't know what that would do to jog someones memory that pics of her and her car hadn't already done. My belief is that they release it to make it look as if they are reaching for clues anywhere they can so that the creature that did this relaxes a bit and stays put.

Drugs: Who in the hell cares if MC smoked a little pot? Most kids do at some point. It's not like doing Meth, which I've not heard any allegations about. And I KNOW plenty of professionals in Wenatchee, even in education, that dabble.

Premediated: I don't think so. I think it was an accident. PC and CB don't seem to fit into a murder that was planned. MC's car was dumped up PC in haste by the creature and help of a friend after the murder. I think they stumbled upon the duck blind. If it was premeditated someone could easily enough find a place on Colockum and bury a body deep enough that it couldn't be found and animals couldn't dig up.

I think the creature knows they are f-ed, but they can't flee because if they do, that just adds more suspicion and if LE is watching them they will stop them before they could get away? And they are probably dealing with their accomplice who got caught up in the moment to help someone they care about, but is now dealing with an enormous ammount of regret.

Exactly my sentiments. The reason I've been so drawn to this case is because this child seemed to be doing everything right, planning for her future, and she didn't let the taunting or teasing discourage her. It's very sad that she never got to realize her huge potential.

Thanks so much for this post.

Thanks Puf- I feel the same as you regarding why I'm so drawn to this.

I have been able to work with a lot of kids thru the years and I cannot help but think of this happening to one of them. MC was just a degree removed from many and similar in so, so many ways.

Let's hope they arrest someone soon and that deserved justice is swift and final.

She was turned down by whom?

She was told by whom to donate to the family fund?

She was told by the organizer of the event at the TTC that Doug Jones of Wenatchee PD "strongly encouraged" them NOT to donate any more $ to the reward fund at Wells Fargo Bank.

It was suggested that any more funds go into the fund for the family at Cashmere Valley Bank.

She was told by the organizer of the event at the TTC that Doug Jones of Wenatchee PD "strongly encouraged" them NOT to donate any more $ to the reward fund at Wells Fargo Bank.

It was suggested that any more funds go into the fund for the family at Cashmere Valley Bank.

I think that means the reward fund is not needed anymore but Mr. Jones is not at liberty to discuss that. Good to know!

Salem

Back to Crescent Bar, at one time settlers traveled through Crescent Bar on a trail near the cliff wall. I am not sure if it is above or below. I know there as a couple of old shacks above CB, as well as other old west style features. I have also heard that there are some small caves in the area. Settlers used them to hide from Indians and I imagine Indians used them to hide from settlers.
Again, I have not spent time down in that area and the conversation we had yesterday got me thinking and I have a couple of questions to those that know the area.

Are there any old houses in Crescent Bar that may have hand dug wells? (hand dug wells are large enough for a person to climb into)
Are there caves near the area?
Did LE use metal detectors to check the area for buried materials? (keys, phone)
Are there areas where someone can hide?
Some place behind the golf course is a small valley that I believe leads to the highway? Is this easily accessible?
Did LE search all garbage cans and dumpsters in Crescent Bar?

Sorry if I seem like a broken record, but I still think that the key to solving the case it at Crescent Bar….

A while back, I thought I saw a pic of MCs car when it was recovered - maybe it was a LE photo posted. I recall the car did not have hub caps. When I viewed the parking lot video her car appeared to have hub caps. Could someone confirm this?

A while back, I thought I saw a pic of MCs car when it was recovered - maybe it was a LE photo posted. I recall the car did not have hub caps. When I viewed the parking lot video her car appeared to have hub caps. Could someone confirm this?

Below is a link to photos of the car (the caption under photo says Courtesy of Wenatchee Police Department?). There is a slide show at the bottom of the article.

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Sea...25-Wenatchee-Police-Dept-issues-press-release

I remember seeing a different photo of the car somewhere, I thought it was just a photo of the same model -- as in a "stock" photo.

Here's a link to a picture provided by LE of the car; it does have hub caps.

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Sea...25-Wenatchee-Police-Dept-issues-press-release

ETA - I see Giddyup beat me to it and posted while I was in the process of posting. :smile: Sorry for the double post.

Below is a link to photos of the car (the caption under photo says Courtesy of Wenatchee Police Department?). There is a slide show at the bottom of the article.

I remember seeing a different photo of the car somewhere, I thought it was just a photo of the same model -- as in a "stock" photo.

Noticed how muddy the tires were the first time I viewed this photo. Really makes me wonder if they tried to go further up PC road and couldn't make it.

Noticed how muddy the tires were the first time I viewed this photo. Really makes me wonder if they tried to go further up PC road and couldn't make it.

I was thinking the same thing. It looks quite dirty, especially if it had recently been through a car wash -- and was also found where the pavement ends.

ETA: looking at the back of the car, as well as tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member