WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would he stop to make a repair, what kind of repair. I thought he was running late and wanted to be with her!

I am NOT blaming SS, accidents do happen, but would any of you really leave on a 200+ mile trip at night alone (with just your 8 year old son) without making sure you 100% have your cell phone? Isn't that the exact situation that a cell phone is pretty much essential, G-d forbid you get lost?

A lot of this just doesn't add up to me. I have no idea what the real story is, but it just all seems so fishy. It's all TOO coincidental. Neither of them have available phones?

I don't (yet) think the fiancee was physically involved or anything, and I understand what some of you are saying about him getting all the information out via the website to the media early. But it still rubs me the wrong way that the website is all about him, and minute details the media probably wouldn't ask about for a few days at least - its all information that LE would ask. And it all fits in a little too nicely for me. It just gives me an icky feeling.

where is the handy mart?

When she entered that Handy Mart and we see the video of her she looks really happy and she is smiling. Not sure that she looks drunk, but almost like she is not scared at all. It is weird.

Hmm he was making a repair to his motorcycle very near to where she was.

If he was making the repair in Toledo/Vader, that is a pretty good distance from Olympia... at least an hour's drive on the freeway.

The Toledo-Vader exit on I-5 is about 20 minutes from Castle Rock if you are doing the speed limit. I drive that stretch of I-5 often and NO ONE does the speed limit. 10 to 15 minutes tops, in my opinion is the average time it takes to drive that.

But he did say he stopped to make a repair so I guess I can give him the benefit of the doubt on the time it took him to get to Castle Rock.

He might also have taken SR 411 from Vader to Castle Rock. I've done it a few times, it's more pleasant than I-5 with all the semis and hills and people doing 85. That would be especially true if he was on a motorcycle, as someone upthread mentioned.

Smiley called her grandfather around 10 p.m. from a stranger's house to tell him she was lost, but OK. The people who helped her place the call said she appeared disoriented. Smiley told her grandfather she'd been in an accident, but investigators found only minor damage to the bumper when they recovered her van

That makes no sense. Did the man say anything about them arriving or leaving on foot?

At some point in one of the articles linked on this thread, the police said the fall in the parking lot wasn't serious (I think it says she tripped).

The elderly couple who lived nearby said they let Smiley use their phone to call her grandfather, gave her son a piece of pizza, and then directed her back to the freeway. She wasn't heard from again.

"The homeowners said she acted nervous because she was lost," Mealy said. She was not injured but spoke of an accident, which investigators believe may have been a reference to falling down at the diner.

Where do they say she was "disoriented"

When she entered that Handy Mart and we see the video of her she looks really happy and she is smiling. Not sure that she looks drunk, but almost like she is not scared at all. It is weird.

Hmm he was making a repair to his motorcycle very near to where she was.

is there a link to the video?

So what we have is her car in area that is very difficult to access in the daylight and virtually impossible at night. We have surrounding woods with houses and porch lights easily seen at night offering help.

The directions she got from the folks at the house she stopped in were very simple and yet she still went in the opposite direction.

We have a she may have been drunk from her fiance - but I don't think she could have found that road intoxicated.

So what happened?

Did she make another call after the grandparent's - did someone offer to meet her?

Did she run into a perp after making another stop?

NEW DETAILS: Fiance Reveals Missing Mother Is Recovering Alchohlic With Recent Relapse, Searchers Baffled As They Continue To Look For Missing Mom & Son

Q13 FOX News Online Web Reporter
4:38 PM PDT, March 15, 2010

NEAR OLYMPIA - New details reveal that missing mom, Shantina Smiley, may have had emotional issues during the time of her disappearence.

Her fiance, Ronn Simmons, appeared on FOX News Tuesday saying, "She's a recovering alcohoic and she had a recent relapse last week because I'm having medical issues right now."

However, Simmons claims that his fiance would not have been drinking when she disppeared Saturday night. He says, "She would not get in the car and do something like that. She would not put her son at risk because she loves her son too much."

Searchers continue to look for the missing mother and son. The woman was heading to her stepfather's house when she and her eight-year-old son took one wrong turn after another through the backroads of Thurston County and onto a private Puget Sound beach.

The van they were riding in showed up in the waters off Dana's Passage. It was found partially submerged Sunday with its doors open. A wallet containing Smiley driver's license, some cash and credit cards were found in the van, but neither she nor her son was anywhere in sight.

more here - including video & 911 call

http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-031410-missingmomandson,0,6651388.story

That makes no sense. Did the man say anything about them arriving or leaving on foot?

At some point in one of the articles linked on this thread, the police said the fall in the parking lot wasn't serious (I think it says she tripped).

Where do they say she was "disoriented"

Smiley called her grandfather around 10 p.m. from a stranger's house to tell him she was lost, but OK. The people who helped her place the call said she appeared disoriented.

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2010/03/shantina_smiley_and_son_azriel.php

So what we have is her car in area that is very difficult to access in the daylight and virtually impossible at night. We have surrounding woods with houses and porch lights easily seen at night offering help.

The directions she got from the folks at the house she stopped in were very simple and yet she still went in the opposite direction.

We have a she may have been drunk from her fiance - but I don't think she could have found that road intoxicated.

So what happened?

Did she make another call after the grandparent's - did someone offer to meet her?

Did she run into a perp after making another stop?

i still dont get how she ended up down eastbay drive into boston harbor....but lets say ...well....it doesnt make since....but....

what if someone got into her van while she was at the elderly home making the call ?...

Haven't read through all the posts since yesterday but looks like some more info has been released by the BF? This story just wasn't making any sense at all. Praying for a positive outcome, but I don't a good feeling about this.

If she really is a relapsed alcoholic, maybe she got off the highway to find a place that sold alcohol? It would explain going to different stores - and we only know the ones she used her credit cards/owners stepped forward. Even though the diner waitress said SS didn't order a drink, maybe she went in, ordered the food, and then realized they didn't serve drinks - so she left? Then tried the other markets?

If she really is a relapsed alcoholic, maybe she got off the highway to find a place that sold alcohol? It would explain going to different stores - and we only know the ones she used her credit cards/owners stepped forward. Even though the diner waitress said SS didn't order a drink, maybe she went in, ordered the food, and then realized they didn't serve drinks - so she left? Then tried the other markets?

there are several gas stations that sale beer....right along that way before she got going on east bay drive......

O/T Ugh I am sick of these shows reporting on Tiger Woods. There are missing people who need the national news attention, NOT Tiger.

I don't know if this article had been posted but it has a pretty good rundown of the timeline and when and where she was spotted on cameras:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

snipped...............................

Searchers looking for a missing Washington state woman and her 8-year-old son who haven't been seen since Saturday say that the road leading to the beach where her submerged minivan was recovered is heavily timbered and very difficult to find without knowing the area.

Olympia, Wash., police haven't ruled out foul play."I couldn't even find the access road, and it was light out," said Lt. Chris Mealy of the Thurston County Sheriff's Office. "You really have to know where it is. It's the kind of road you don't want to take because it's so steep and narrow."

"It's very rare for someone who doesn't know the area to wind up where her van wound up," Mealy said

We went to get a bit to eat, when I received a phone call from the Thurston County Sheriff’s office. The had found the Van. In a follow up call, they informed me that they had to pull it out of the bay at the end of a dead end road. I immediately headed up there and sa[w] the van.

http://www.robbsimmons.com/

<snip>

the boston harbor mini mart is the only gas station or mini store after she turned onto eastbay drive and headed east......

:banghead:
NEW DETAILS: Fiance Reveals Missing Mother Is Recovering Alchohlic With Recent Relapse, Searchers Baffled As They Continue To Look For Missing Mom & Son

Q13 FOX News Online Web Reporter
4:38 PM PDT, March 15, 2010

NEAR OLYMPIA - New details reveal that missing mom, Shantina Smiley, may have had emotional issues during the time of her disappearence.

Her fiance, Ronn Simmons, appeared on FOX News Tuesday saying, "She's a recovering alcohoic and she had a recent relapse last week because I'm having medical issues right now."

However, Simmons claims that his fiance would not have been drinking when she disppeared Saturday night. He says, "She would not get in the car and do something like that. She would not put her son at risk because she loves her son too much."

Article snipped by me.

OK, I know I said I didn't suspect the fiance. However, WHY would he bring up the alcoholic issue in a forum where people are trying to find her IF he then turns around to say she would never drink and drive with her son?

If he wants LE/searchers to know that alcohol may have played a factor, then I understand him releasing the info. If he doesn't believe it played a factor, then why drag it out into the public domain that that?

I don't get it.

O/T Ugh I am sick of these shows reporting on Tiger Woods. There are missing people who need the national news attention, NOT Tiger.

HLN says they are covering this case but it is TW right now.

After watching these cases unfold time after time I think you become jaded. My hinky meter was going off yesterday. Hope the BS Leader is not involved, but I dunno, at this point I am not giving him a pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa