WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a real hard time with the whole "last ping" concept as well as the boat launch placement. There is obviously data LE is not sharing or they are misleading. I have said before that there is absolutely no way that a "ping" would tell you that MC was at the boat launch. No way, no how, didnt happen. Evin IF gps was enabled it is not THAT accurate. Especially when you factor in water. If there was a call I might buy it.

My opinion is there are games being played to trip people up or give false sense of security. Jmo
Just catching up this morning so sorry if this has been covered.
Somewhere in past threads (hoping I didn't just dream this)there was a picture of 3 cell towers and they had all picked up the last ping. The drawer did the circumference of the cell coverage (not sure thats the right word to use) and in the middle was the boat launch. I thought that was how they knew this. Maybe the poster was making an assumption. Does anyone else recall this?

I apologies if this has already been brought up; I am on my way out the door and did not have time to catch up this morning.

Losing the data does not seem strange to me. What is strange is that the only data lost is the data during the most crucial time period. Correct me if I am wrong, they have data before and after the time period they really wanted. That is very suspicious. Do we have a suspect with a Verizon link? Is it possible for someone to get on a computer and manually purge that time period? If you had a friend at Verizon, could you call them up and ask them to purge a section of data? If someone had MC’s phone could they have purged that section of data?

So...are they still using tape or is this data recorded on disc...digitally?

Data on a hard drive:

The electrical and mechanical processes for saving data to a hard drive is quite complex.

I do not want to get too technical here so to make this as simple as possible:

Think of a newly formatted, empty hard drive as a library with empty shelves.

Let's say you write a book. Now you want to save that book. You place the book on a shelf. After a while you've written many books and now there are hundreds of books stored on many shelves.

Now, you want the public to be able to access and read your books ... but there are so many how will the public locate specific books?

Well, you create a directory that lists all your books and details exactly where each book is stored. When a person looks up the book in the directory they are provided with exact location details. Since this is a 'special' library the person is allowed only to walk to the specific location and can see only the specific shelf and can see only the specific book.

Now, let's say you no longer want that book to be available because it contains obsolete information. The first thing you do is delete the directory entry for that book. When people look in your directory they will no longer see an entry for that book.

To them, the book was 'deleted' from the library, while in fact only the directory entry was deleted. Assuming a new book was not put in its place, that original book is still on the shelf and if someone has 'special' access they can still walk to and access that book. Of course if a new book was put in its place that original book is no where to be found.

NOTE: the above is an extreme oversimplification, but sufficient for our purpose.

To summarize:

If you delete a file from a hard drive, the file is not actually 'erased' ... only the directory information that details where the data is saved on the drive is erased. Now, if you do save something new to the drive after you deleted the original entry, the original data could be partially or completely overwritten because as for as the directory is concerned that space is 'empty'.

In that case the original data is irretrievable because new data was saved on top of the original data. You need very specialized equipment to read the magnetic signatures of the hard drive platters to even attempt to 'read' what was originally saved. Even then, it can be hit or miss.

Data Storage 'general' rules-of-thumb:

Short-term storage of data:
* retained for less than 1 year, typically measured in days or weeks
* saved to hard drive

Long-term storage of data:
* retained for one to many years
* saved to tape

There are (US and international) laws defining requirements for retaining various types of data, including the format, compression, physical storage, retrieval, etc. Since 9/11 it has become a much more complex and critical focus.

Long-term retention examples:

In at least one state (Texas), disability and sick benefit records must be retained for 6 years. Employee inventions claims must be retained for 25 years.

Depending on the business, OSHA requires that certain industrial hygiene records and medical records be retained for 30 years.

Financial institutions transaction data must be retained for 7 years.

Short-Term Storage vs. Long-Term Storage

Initial, interactive and short-term (temporary) storage of data typically is to hard drive and might be retained on hard drive(s) for days, weeks, or months depending on data type, volume and retrieval requirements. The more detail you save, the more drive space you need. The more drive space you need, the higher the cost.

Long-term storage of data typically is to tape (but in some rare instances also can be to hard drive). Data is copied from hard drives to tapes, and the tapes are transported to and stored in environment-controlled (temperature, humidity) archival locations.

Where does long-term data come from?

Long-term data used to be short-term data.

Short-term data, say for a company's ACD pbx telephone system, might be retained on that systems hard drives for 30 days, where the data is immediately available to access for running reports on # of calls, talk time, average speed of answer, etc.

After 30 days, that data might be copied to tape for long-term storage for future reference. After copying, the data on the hard drives is purged (actually deleted from database tables) and replaced with new data as it becomes available.

As for mobile / cell phone data retention, I am not sure if the law quoted below, applies. It indicates "provider of wire or electronic communications services or a remote computing service."

http://www.ictregulationtoolkit.org/en/PracticeNote.2117.html

In the United States, Title 18 of the United States Code, Section 2703(f) states that: “A provider of wire or electronic communications services or a remote computing service, upon the request of a government entity, shall take all necessary steps to preserve records and other records in its possession pending the issuance of a court order or other process.”

The policy of the U.S. Government is based on the belief that investigators and prosecutors need the ability to have service providers preserve (without disclosing) for a limited period of time, any data which already exists within their network architecture and which relates to a specific investigation. The law requires preservation for 90 days, renewable for another 90 day period.

After such period, access to these historical records can be obtained pursuant to a court order or in conformity with other due process protections. For example, the Privacy Act requires, with some exceptions, that disclosure of any personal information be allowed only pursuant to a written request or prior written consent of the individual to whom the information belongs.7

he requirement for data preservation does not, however, require a service provider to collect data prospectively, nor does it permit the preservation of everything in a service provider’s systems – only the information that related to a specific investigation.

The United States also does not require ISPs to routinely destroy or retain communications data. ISPs are free to destroy or retain communications data as they each choose, based upon their own assessments, resources, needs and limitations

I apologies if this has already been brought up; I am on my way out the door and did not have time to catch up this morning.

Losing the data does not seem strange to me. What is strange is that the only data lost is the data during the most crucial time period. Correct me if I am wrong, they have data before and after the time period they really wanted. That is very suspicious. Do we have a suspect with a Verizon link? Is it possible for someone to get on a computer and manually purge that time period? If you had a friend at Verizon, could you call them up and ask them to purge a section of data? If someone had MC’s phone could they have purged that section of data?

It sure seems like that could be a possibility.. coincidence?? Not sure.. you're right, the chance that only the data from the critical time frame was lost is unlikely and suspicious. If you worked for Verizon and a friend called and requested the data be destroyed, I think that person would decline. I am not sure the killer is even smart enough to understand our comm/data networks enough to know such data may exist.. do you?

Data on a hard drive:

The electrical and mechanical processes for saving data to a hard drive is quite complex.

I do not want to get too technical here so to make this as simple as possible:

Think of a newly formatted, empty hard drive as a library with empty shelves.

Let's say you write a book. Now you want to save that book. You place the book on a shelf. After a while you've written many books and now there are hundreds of books stored on many shelves.

Now, you want the public to be able to access and read your books ... but there are so many how will the public locate specific books?

Well, you create a directory that lists all your books and details exactly where each book is stored. When a person looks up the book in the directory they are provided with exact location details. Since this is a 'special' library the person is allowed only to walk to the specific location and can see only the specific shelf and can see only the specific book.

Now, let's say you no longer want that book to be available because it contains obsolete information. The first thing you do is delete the directory entry for that book. When people look in your directory they will no longer see an entry for that book.

To them, the book was 'deleted' from the library, while in fact only the directory entry was deleted. Assuming a new book was not put in its place, that original book is still on the shelf and if someone has 'special' access they can still walk to and access that book. Of course if a new book was put in its place that original book is no where to be found.

NOTE: the above is an extreme oversimplification, but sufficient for our purpose.

To summarize:

If you delete a file from a hard drive, the file is not actually 'erased' ... only the directory information that details where the data is saved on the drive is erased. Now, if you do save something new to the drive after you deleted the original entry, the original data could be partially or completely overwritten because as for as the directory is concerned that space is 'empty'.

In that case the original data is irretrievable because new data was saved on top of the original data. You need very specialized equipment to read the magnetic signatures of the hard drive platters to even attempt to 'read' what was originally saved. Even then, it can be hit or miss.

Data Storage 'general' rules-of-thumb:

Short-term storage of data:
* retained for less than 1 year, typically measured in days or weeks
* saved to hard drive

Long-term storage of data:
* retained for one to many years
* saved to tape

There are (US and international) laws defining requirements for retaining various types of data, including the format, compression, physical storage, retrieval, etc. Since 9/11 it has become a much more complex and critical focus.

Long-term retention examples:

In at least one state (Texas), disability and sick benefit records must be retained for 6 years. Employee inventions claims must be retained for 25 years.

Depending on the business, OSHA requires that certain industrial hygiene records and medical records be retained for 30 years.

Financial institutions transaction data must be retained for 7 years.

Short-Term Storage vs. Long-Term Storage

Initial, interactive and short-term (temporary) storage of data typically is to hard drive and might be retained on hard drive(s) for days, weeks, or months depending on data type, volume and retrieval requirements. The more detail you save, the more drive space you need. The more drive space you need, the higher the cost.

Long-term storage of data typically is to tape (but in some rare instances also can be to hard drive). Data is copied from hard drives to tapes, and the tapes are transported to and stored in environment-controlled (temperature, humidity) archival locations.

Where does long-term data come from?

Long-term data used to be short-term data.

Short-term data, say for a company's ACD telephone system, might be retained on that systems hard drives for 30 days, where the data is immediately available to access for running reports on # of calls, talk time, average speed of answer, etc.

After 30 days, that data might be copied to tape for long-term storage for future reference. After copying, the data on the hard drives is purged (actually deleted from database tables) and replaced with new data as it becomes available.

EXCELLENT POST... thank you!

VzW would still have copies of the raw records. LE gets a copy of the digital records.

Obviously. Data retention requirement might be on the order of 90 days, based on a Title 18 definition .. but I am not sure.

http://www.ictregulationtoolkit.org/en/PracticeNote.2117.html bottom of the page

But still, if LE was provided data and portions of that data were deleted after the fact then we'd have a very interesting situation ...

So, ChuckMaureen................the allegedly "purged data" could very well be on a tape?
I'm finding it very hard to believe that a "section" of data was lifted out and purged and lost! Do you think LE is just playing games with the potential perp(s)? I would think they would want them to think they had all the phone data! How did the interviewer for GoLakeChelan have this information? I find it extremely odd that this information came out on this interview. It's like it was a "plant". Maybe LE wants the perp(s) to think they are safe? From everything our resident experts are saying, there is no way anybody from Verizon wireless would just go in and pluck out data and purge it like this. Am I correct? This is very troubling.

Do you think LE is just playing games with the potential perp(s)?

I sure do..! Let him think he is in the clear so he can brag to others, open up, be more public etc. He'll slip sooner or later...!

Just saw the MC coverage on KIRO TV news in Seattle. They say it was a 12-hour data set from MC's phone that is missing. I wonder if they received more detail and this is a fact, or if they are just poorly paraphrasing the less detailed report on GoLakeChelan?

If MC's phone was turned off for that 12-hour period ... there would be no data for her phone for during that period.

Might we assume the implication is that existing data does not indicate a power-off event beginning in to the 12-hour period so data is expected for the period? This would be the only reason why LE expects data.

Unless LE really does have the data and is playing some form of cat-mouse? That would be very interesting to say the least ... but to whom would they be playing? Would it have to be with someone whom is aware of the specific 12-hour period or doesn't that matter?

Or perhaps LE is providing this as a cover excuse for delays in forensic analysis, to keep the perp in a 'safe mode', making him believe LE has a lost cause on their hands?

Nahhh. We must KIS ... the simplest explanation is most likely the most accurate.

VzW never provided data for that period or VzW simply does not have that data because it was purged (accidentally or technical error) from the db?

We used to lose pbx data on our CMS servers during when performing a full backup to tape. The CMS application would shut down data retrieval from the pbx because it could not copy files that were actively being written with new data. That is no longer the case with newer versions of the software, and I would expect this not to be the case with VzW data as I'm sure if they do backup or archive that it is not at the expense of recording new data.

Clearly the biggest piece of evidence (with a trail) is the cell phone. The news and LE showed a picture (2/25) of her exact phone and asked for help from the public, asking if anyone had seen it. Did they think they POI had it as a momento? Or in the unlikely event that someone "found it" it would have valuable data that they could not retrieve from Verizon, et al?
Thanks to modern technology, and sadly in this case, the traditional "fingerprints" of a crime scene are only as reliable as a Big Corporation.

Or maybe LE is just playing cat and mouse????

I think they are still hopelessly lost on knowing who it is. They just interviewed my daughter again (third time) and took a DNA swab.

BTW, what are the laws as far as interviewing and getting DNA from a minor? I'm still ircked they have done all of this without my knowledge or consent...

Jerry Moore, Chief of Administration, Chelan County Sheriff's Office was interviewed on February 14th by GoLakeChelan and, imo, it's interesting in retrospect to the information that has recently come to light.

(Sunday morning - Feb 14th) Moore was interviewed by GLC's Byquist again, and in this interview, Moore reports on other aspects of the investigation including the forensic efforts of the State Crime Lab who had been in town earlier for studies of MacKenzie's vehicle which was found abandoned up Pitcher Canton, and the effort's of authorities to secure and analyze the computer and cell phone records of Ms. Cowell; action that was undertaken with the full cooperation of Verizon, Google, GMail, My Space and Face Book; all areas where MacKenzie had reportedly been active and communicating with others.

quote pulled from podcast:

"In the cell phone records returned. ...
Detective Dave Helvey with Douglas County was tasked with authoring search warrants for the MySpace, Facebooks, Verizon and Gmail. And, uh, I for a fact know that the Verizon information came back. I don't have an update on whether MySpace, Facebook or Gmail came back. The results of the Verizon information gave us some information that we could use to follow leads from Mackenzie's cell phone activity."

Wonder if she wrote that in a failed attempt at a funny april fool's joke?

ETA: Nevermind, I just read the comments that followed that post on her FB and she seems to be serious and bragging about it :eek:

I have been reading your comments about this person DD on fb and she is crazy and by far more than just a bowl etc short.
I am the person that she did this too !
It was a sick joke for her to do to me and my family! And on April fools day!
I thought I personally would state the facts !
Her boyfreind had been hired by me to do renovations to my business. She got jealous of me and the night before she prayed to the devil to help her along with several diseased people to kill me with her bare hands. The evidence was found in her residence all over the walls, ceilings, closets and closet doors etc where she had written( in ink ) to the devil by the investigators on the case. She was charged with 2 felon charges and 4 misdemeanors. Along with a restraining order for life.
She spent almost 5 months in a mental facility by Spokane. She is schyzo and manic depressive. One of her children spent time in one also.
I would not trust her about any info you hear and I don't want to be harassed by her. I was lucky to be alive and she lied when she said she hurt my dogs ! She only attacked me from behind and the boyfriend tried to get her off of me with no prevail. My daughter could hear my screams and she called 911 and ran to assist (she was 17 at that time ) . The police arrived about 15 units with fire trucks etc. and it took 5 of them to get her off of me along with my daughter and the boyfriend of the DD person. She was sent straight to the medical facility.
I hope this clears up the comments on here.
I have been on here from time to time hoping we can help MC. To be able on finding resolution for this young girl. This a terrible thing to have happened. I know from personal experience what being a victim is like and it is so scary when trying to save your life. I am a lucky one ! People were around me. If I had been alone I may not be here today !
I appreciate you snipping it from this site.It is amazing how i got pulled into this. Thanks anyway for helping and I respect everyones theories and please keep up the great work

I think they are still hopelessly lost on knowing who it is. They just interviewed my daughter again (third time) and took a DNA swab.

BTW, what are the laws as far as interviewing and getting DNA from a minor? I'm still ircked they have done all of this without my knowledge or consent...

WTF???? I didn't think that was legal! Did you give them the go ahead for the first one? Why are they taking DNA (still!) from daughters? Unless they really think a girl gang was responsible? Maybe they just want to dirty up the water on the internet! Keep us discussing everything so we don't zero in on or get too close to the truth! MOO

I have been reading your comments about this person DD on fb and she is crazy and by far more than just a bowl etc short.
I am the person that she did this too !

OMG! WOW... I am sorry that happened to you.. and thanks for providing insight on this person.

Jerry Moore, Chief of Administration, Chelan County Sheriff's Office was interviewed on February 14th by GoLakeChelan and, imo, it's interesting in retrospect to the information that has recently come to light.

(Sunday morning - Feb 14th) Moore was interviewed by GLC's Byquist again, and in this interview, Moore reports on other aspects of the investigation including the forensic efforts of the State Crime Lab who had been in town earlier for studies of MacKenzie's vehicle which was found abandoned up Pitcher Canton, and the effort's of authorities to secure and analyze the computer and cell phone records of Ms. Cowell; action that was undertaken with the full cooperation of Verizon, Google, GMail, My Space and Face Book; all areas where MacKenzie had reportedly been active and communicating with others.

quote pulled from podcast:

"In the cell phone records returned. ...
Detective Dave Helvey with Douglas County was tasked with authoring search warrants for the MySpace, Facebooks, Verizon and Gmail. And, uh, I for a fact know that the Verizon information came back. I don't have an update on whether MySpace, Facebook or Gmail came back. The results of the Verizon information gave us some information that we could use to follow leads from Mackenzie's cell phone activity."

Great sleuthing, Liz! So, can we deduce that LE did receive all data from Verizon wireless and any purging of data would have happened at the LE level??? This just gets curiouser and curiouser!

Just speculating but IMO they want her DNA just to eliminate it. Maybe they have lots of DNA and need to go through the process of elimination, the t crossing and i dotting. This make sense why the lab is taking so long. If MC had many friends, you'd think a lot of her friends would have left some DNA in her car or elsewhere at one time or another.

IDK about the parental consent issue, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member