Found Deceased MI - Venus Stewart, 32, Colon, 28 April 2010 - # 4 *D. Stewart guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, the police keep adamantly stating that the estranged husband is the "sole person of interest", this despite the husband's checked-out-so-far alibi.
That is, as far as we know, it's not possible for the husband to have pulled this off by himself--if he was involved, he had to have accomplices--aren't the police interested in those accomplices?

and yet the police have made no move to arrest the husband or even bring him in for questioning (with attorney, of course)? And is this a missing person case in which time is of the essence? If they suspect the husband's involvement, why not bring him in for questioning? Sure, he has a right to counsel and to not answer any questions, but they could still go through the process of bringing him, sitting him in an interrogation room and asking some questions. Maybe he gives something up in his mannerisms, maybe he answers a question or two, maybe he cracks under the circumstances and tells all, who knows. But it's gotta be worth a shot to find this missing woman.

Police departments' statements during the investigation of a crime, especially one that might be on-going, shouldn't necessarily be taken at face value.

Let's say, hypothetically, the police have determined that what's actually going on is being driven by someone other than the husband, but they don't want to alert the other parties they are investigating to that fact. So they put out this, to me, odd statement that the husband is the "sole person of interest"--when they freaking know he wasn't in Michigan at the time the abduction apparently happened! So shouldn't they also be looking for other POI (i.e., his accomplices)?

The criminal investigator must remain objective and open to different perspectives when conducting an investigation. He/she should follow the facts wherever the facts may lead them and not attempt to fit certain facts to the exclusion of others into a pre-determined conclusion. One must always look beyond the obvious and seek the truth.

Odd case. First glace it appears to be a simple case of an estranged husband abducting/etc his estranged wife. But then you run into facts like the husband lives across the country and has an alibi placing him in Virginia when the crime was being committed in Michigan.

Then there's the trail of breadcrumbs evidence: a receipt for a tarp and other items AND the packaging from the tarp ends up at the location the victim is abducted from. On the one hand, yeah, simple: the perp bought the tarp, left the receipt in the vehicle and also negligently left the tarp packaging at the crime scene.

On the other hand, it does create a nexus between the husband and the crime scene--and pretty much the only solid non-circumstantial evidence currently connecting the husband to the crime scene.

Oh, and the vehicle in which the receipt was found is not titled to the husband but to the estranged wife (who likely had spare keys with her).

And then the vehicle isn't found when the police first conduct a search
but then the police search again a few days later and discover the vehicle parked on a street nearby.

Were the police running regular searches for the vehicle or were they tipped off to go and look for it again a few days later? And, if the latter, who provided the tip and when did they provide it?

And it turns out that the missing woman was so violent toward the husband that she had been arrested and charged with domestic violence. And the husband had asked for and rec'd multiple personal protection orders against her. And the husband, not the wife, was the first to file for divorce:

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/margin-1376536-bottom-page.html

very odd case.

Hi Saint...just letting you know...get ready for the flood gates to open up. There should be about 4 or 5 incoming scud missiles headed your way when they wake up and read your post, they'll be arriving to give you a verbal beatdown for your unmitigated gall. LOL

Or he sold it. Or aliens took it.

Well, in that case I vote for the Aliens! I may have missed something but I haven't seen any mention in any news form that said he sold it..........and besides how could he sell it IF it was in her name?........So.....what planet do ya think they were from?

Hi Saint...just letting you know...get ready for the flood gates to open up. There should be about 4 or 5 incoming scud missiles headed your way when they wake up and read your post, they'll be arriving to give you a verbal beatdown for your unmitigated gall. LOL

this is NOT meant to be one of the scud missiles headed your way Saint!!

I just have to comment on the VS being charged with domestic violence. While I have never been a victim of domestic violence ( Thank God!!) I have tried to always be aware of it and it's "things to look for" patterns. One thing that comes to mind is........and I have not seen anyone else mention this.....Isn't it possible that for once she fought back? She had, had enough! She smacked him? Maybe it happened twice or three times, who knows but none of us know what her life was like living with this man....As I see it, he would have LOVED having her charged with domestic violence, that would be another thing he had on her. Doesn't anyone else see this as a possibility?

Well, in that case I vote for the Aliens! I may have missed something but I haven't seen any mention in any news form that said he sold it..........and besides how could he sell it IF it was in her name?........So.....what planet do ya think they were from?

Uranus

The local news here in MI reported tonight that during the search today a few items of interest were found. They don't know if ANY of them have anything to do with Venus disappearance, but they are investigating. A few items found: some cleaning solvent, tennis shoes, 1 croc type slipper, hair, and some TARP STRING. Not sure if any of this is connected, but those are some items found.

Thank you for the update, and thank you for searching for Venus!

I'm concerned about your use of the phrase 'verbal beatdown'. Just to be clear:

All posted opinions and contentions of fact are subject to challenge. If anyone doesn't want theirs challenged, a blog on the web with moderated comments is a perfect solution.

A solution in regards to posting contentions of fact is for posters to check their facts before posting, and provide links to credible sources to support them.

Posting of rumor (unsupported statements of fact) is generally not allowed. In some cases, posting of rumor is permitted at a mod's discretion. Check with a mod before posting to see if a particular rumor can be posted, and how it should be posted.

Members are advised to attack the post, not the poster. Attacks of posters, rudeness, and insults are not permitted, and should be alerted, or PM a mod about it.

If a post distresses you, don't respond - just scroll on by, and ignore it.

Those are all the words of wisdom I can scrounge up without coffee...

Thanks!
BeanE

But then you run into facts like the husband lives across the country and has an alibi placing him in Virginia when the crime was being committed in Michigan.

I've seen several posts saying that DS's alibi places him in Virginia, and that a friend, friends, and/or two friends provided his alibi. Links to credible sources today affirming the known facts about DS's alibi are in order. I want to take a look and see what we know about DS's alibi, versus what may be being assumed.

Update: I'm coming up with nothing on an alibi that places DS in Virginia, and nothing on alibi related a friend, friends, or two friends. If anyone has a link to a credible source on this, please post it.

Then there's the trail of breadcrumbs evidence: a receipt for a tarp and other items AND the packaging from the tarp ends up at the location the victim is abducted from.

My understanding is that the receipt for the tarp was found in a vehicle in Virginia, not at the abduction location (Michigan). I assume the 'other items' you refer to are the gloves etc also found in the vehicle in Virginia?

We need a link to a credible source that confirms where the receipt for the items, as well as the items, were found, so we can keep accurate track of the known facts. The search warrant docs straight from LE should do it.

Update: As confirmed by the search warrant, the receipt for tarp and the other items were found in DS's truck in Virginia, not at the abduction location in Michigan. http://woodtv.triton.net/news/search dodge douglas stewart.PDF

Oh, and the vehicle in which the receipt was found is not titled to the husband but to the estranged wife (who likely had spare keys).

Yes, and we know from Venus' parents that Venus did not have possession of the vehicle, but left it in Virginia with DS. It doesn't matter in whose name the vehicle is titled - what matters is where the vehicle was, and who had access to it. I'm unclear on your point - clarification would be appreciated.

LE has named Venus' estranged husband, Douglas Stewart, as the sole person of interest in this case. We need keep track of, and regularly post, the most recent statements (direct quotes preferred) from LE on this. It's a good thing to do in every case, for those new to the case. Pufnstuf, could I trouble you to track this for us in your excellent timeline/case notes posts?

I have a few things to do, and then I'll be digging for credible source links.

Also, the police keep adamantly stating that the estranged husband is the "sole person of interest", this despite the husband's checked-out-so-far alibi.
That is, as far as we know, it's not possible for the husband to have pulled this off by himself--if he was involved, he had to have accomplices--aren't the police interested in those accomplices?

I would bet big money that the police are intensely interested in DS's accomplice(s).

and yet the police have made no move to arrest the husband or even bring him in for questioning (with attorney, of course)? And is this a missing person case in which time is of the essence? If they suspect the husband's involvement, why not bring him in for questioning? Sure, he has a right to counsel and to not answer any questions, but they could still go through the process of bringing him, sitting him in an interrogation room and asking some questions.

What? I thought DS had refused to answer questions. I thought LE couldn't question someone if they refuse to answer questions. I thought LE couldn't even bring someone in for questioning if they have an attorney and refuse to answer questions. I thought we had laws about this. Like unlawful detainment. You know, the whole "the door is unlocked and you can leave at any time you wish", "Am I under arrest? Can I leave now?".

Wow wow wow! Need linky-dinks. And more coffee.

Update: Phew! I'm not losing my mind after all. LE has been trying to question DS from the very beginning! And he just plain refuses to cooperate and answer a single one. Good thing to know that LE is indeed diligently doing their job, and following the law.

Lt. Mike Risko says all investigators' contact with Doug Stewart is through his lawyer in Portage.
http://www.wwmt.com/articles/mother-1375777-newschannel-michigan.html

Police departments' statements during the investigation of a crime, especially one that might be on-going, shouldn't necessarily be taken at face value.

Here at Websleuths, to maintain credibility, reliability, and accuracy, we most heavily rely on information from LE and the courts as a basis for our sleuthing. We have to have a solid basis other than fabrication and fantasy, otherwise we're not sleuthing, we're just spittin' in the wind. That may be entertaining, but it doesn't help the victim. I'm all about helping the victim.

Although it may mean nothing to the case, I do wonder what she was mailing that moring.

Although it may mean nothing to the case, I do wonder what she was mailing that moring.

I agree, it may have nothing to do with the case at all - but I have wondered that myself? Just out of curiosity, I guess.

....because I wondered if she ever even got to the mailbox, or if she was on her way back to the house or what? Not that it matters, but I just would have thought they might have checked with the mail carrier to see if in fact anything was 'out-going' in the mailbox that morning? Maybe they did, and I just never heard of it.

I am new to this case and thank you for the timeline. It is very, very helpful!

Some quick impressions-

She was kidnapped on 4/26 and a multi-state manhunt ensues for her husband. He is located late in the evening of 4/26/10 at his apartment in Newport News VA, but the where abouts of her truck are unknown until 4/28/10, when it are located in the parking lot of the apartment building.

Later on in the timeline, there is a statement regarding the truck which indicates that it was parked two streets away rather than in it's regular spot.

?-The discrepancy, which is not yours, is bugging me. Because if the on street parking is true, then it certainly seems like he was evading police detection of the vehicle, but it is not like he gave it to a chop shop which would have done the job for sure. If it is NOT true, then why did it take police two days to find the vehicles in the apartment parking lot??? Just wondering. And it of course also implies that the truck was not there on 4/26 and possibly 4/27. So where was it?

Then, it appears that it was not until 5/4 that the police were able to take tire impressions of the truck, correct? Well, if I were the perp, on my way back from MI, I would have had the truck tires changed. For sure. If her truck (Venus') is part of the crime scene. JMO. So if the impressions do not match up or there is nothing gathered from the treads, I would be checking to see if the tires were the same as the ones that were last known to be on the vehicle-isnt there some kind of number on tires like a VIN?

Frank, I see you are questioning whether or not Venus took the kids from VA legally, and I think it was adequately answered by another poster but I do want to add that DS is within his rights to sue in MI for "custodial interference" if he wanted visitation with his children. It is not considered parental kidnapping if there is jt legal custody and sole physical custody in play.

Did Venus have physical custody when she left VA with the girls? Even if she didnt, the temp restraining order gave her sole custody at the time of her disappearance....

?-The discrepancy, which is not yours, is bugging me. Because if the on street parking is true, then it certainly seems like he was evading police detection of the vehicle, but it is not like he gave it to a chop shop which would have done the job for sure. If it is NOT true, then why did it take police two days to find the vehicles in the apartment parking lot???

But it is true. LE confirmed it.

Douglas Stewart's truck was parked on the street a few blocks from his complex, the Newport News police reported -- despite Stewart having two reserved parking spots in the structure at his apartment complex.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/sw_mich/CNN-Evidence-found-vs-Venus-husband

OK-so I wonder then if who ever drove the truck returned it to a scheduled spot later, or moved it when word of the manhunt went out, or whatever...

TY BeanE!

13hoursvirginiatomichigan.jpg

According to Google Maps, the drive from Doug's apartment to Venus's parent's home takes 14 hours.

Because it would have been very suspicious for Doug (or whomever was driving the four-door truck in Doug's possession) to return it to it's assigned parking spot, it was parked two blocks away.

I do not know what the two witnesses claim Doug was doing, or where he was, during the 14 plus hours prior to the truck being seen in the field across from Venus's parent's home or during the 14 plus hours after the abduction.

But, I will not be surprised if Doug's airtight alibi was provided by two loyal friends who agreed to lie for him, and did just that, before realizing what he had done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member