CA - American students catch heat for wearing red, white & blue on Cinco de Mayo

Bue we as Americans bow down to them and give up our own freedoms as to not hurt their feelings. :waitasec:
And if we don't, then we are trouble makers.

BS!

If I moved to another country, I would expect to conform to their ways and cultures. I would not expect them to change the way they live so that they don't hurt my feelings.
I think America is the only country with that carppy mind set. It's the politically correct carp.

I'm a firm believer that if you want to live here, come here legally, learn the language, work hard for what you get, and stay out of trouble. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be here. I'm sorry if that hurts anybody's feelings...freedom of speech and all, you know, it lets me say what I feel. You don't have to agree with me. That's what's great about being an American.

Now this is a travesty…..

Montebello High School in California
You will not see this heart-stopping photo on the front page of the NY Times, nor on the lead story of the major news networks. The protestors at Montebello High School took the American flag off the school's flag pole and hung it upside down while putting up the Mexican flag over it. :banghead::banghead::furious::furious::furious:

If anyone wants to see the pictures just let me know and I will email them.

You will not see this heart-stopping photo on the front page of the NY Times, nor on the lead story of the major news networks. The protestors at Montebello High School took the American flag off the school's flag pole and hung it upside down while putting up the Mexican flag over it. :banghead::banghead::furious::furious::furious:

:eek: OMG I'm speechless. :furious:

I looked it up and saw the photos. Again, I'm speechless.

FYI - there are white - very white latinos.

Snipped respectfully by me in order for clarity of my response.

Indeed jannuncutt. I am confident that I have no need to share this with any of our Websleuth members m as I am assured they already know the following (I adding this in case any of our guests may read this open forum and may not know this)

And that is this fact (not my humble opinon and if a supporting link is needed please let me know)

Hispanic and/or Latino and/or Latina is not a race.

(Much like many of us identify ourselves by our family's originating country of course with the exception of native americans, ex: French, Scot, German, Irish...etc...

It is an ethnicity. Slightly off topic but I thought I would add this as an aside post. Mods please delete if too off topic.

ETA:Jan I wasn't directing my comment at you. Jumping off your post. Just wanted to make sure you know that.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/mexicoflag.asp
Yes, it looks like it happened in 2006. According to the Principal, about a 1000 students not from Montebello High overwhelmed the school. They started throwing bottles and descimated the school when none of their students would join them. They illegally ripped down the California flag and put up what was in the picture. More on Snopes website. Pic also on Snopes website. It did say they got into trouble but not how they got in trouble.

Ima

Indeed jannuncutt. I am confident that I have no need to share this with any of our Websleuth members m as I am assured they already know the following (I adding this in case any of our guests may read this open forum and may not know this)

And that is this fact (not my humble opinon and if a supporting link is needed please let me know)

(Much like many of us identify ourselves by our family's originating country of course with the exception of native americans, ex: French, Scot, German, Irish...etc...

It is an ethnicity. Slightly off topic but I thought I would add this as an aside post. Mods please delete if too off topic.

ETA:Jan I wasn't directing my comment at you. Jumping off your post. Just wanted to make sure you know that.
My point is that being a white person among latinos would not necessarily make you stand out because, there are very white latinos.

What race are they, as when dna is done? I've only seen Caucasian, Hispanic, African, and Asian, I believe but am probably wrong. I know that Latin is not considered a race, but just wondering about Hispanic, because I didn't think they would be considered Asian as Native Indians. I'm thinking back to some cases of rape/murders when dna was looked at in trying to figure the race of the attacker.

[h=3]Protest rekindles Morgan Hill Cinco de Mayo American flag debate[/h]MORGAN HILL, Calif. (KTVU and wires) – A group of protesters stood outside a Morgan Hill high school Tuesday, holding American flags in the morning chill, rekindling a heated debate over the students right to wear American flag t-shirts to class.
The controversy began five years ago when a group of boys wore American flag t-shirts to school on Cinco de Mayo.
Fearing violence at the school with a 40 percent Latino student body, officials told the boys to change or hide their red-white-and-blue clothing by turning them inside out.
Lawsuits ensued and finally in March the U.S. Supreme Court refused to review a lower court decision in favor of the school officials.
In the lower court decisions, the judges cited the fact that Live Oak High School officials had documented at least 30 fights on campus during a six-year span between gangs and "between Caucasian and Hispanic" students.
The judges said the school administration had good reason to fear a violent reaction and to tell the boys not to wear the T-shirts on a Mexican holiday.
On Tuesday, Kendall Jones – the stepfather of one of the boys – joined the group of protesters. more at link: http://www.ktvu.com/story/28981044/protest-rekindles-morgan-hill-cinco-de-mayo-american-flag-debate

I completely agree! Was it really necessary to show their patriotism on this particular day??? It wasn't the 4th of July, they couldn't let the Mexicans just have ONE day to celebrate their heritage???:mad::razz:
Bumping my post in response because I am so mad at these bigots!!! They had to trot out several American flags to tromp on their day- looks like the KKK!!!

cluciano, thanks for this post, but I am of the belief that since our forefathers died to provide us with this wonderful land that at any time we may celebrate our feelings about it. Any American should feel that any time is appropriate to say in any way, "I love America". It would be instigation if these students had been in Mexico and worn the flag to school there, but not here. Bravo to those students that expressed their love for the USA !!!!

Um, pardon me, but the forefathers of Mexican students also died to protect California when IT was a part of Mexico. So the "forefather" issue is a wash, unless you want to count whose ancestors flooded the state looking for gold.

But here's the thing...so what? I would say there is also a lot of anti-Americanism going on.

The 5th of May is nothing more than a drinking holiday like St. Patrick's Day. It should not have this much exposure at school for gosh sakes.

It's fine if the kids want to wear Mexico colors like people wear Green on St.P's Day but if 5 kids wear American Flags on that day, even if they are protesting the celebration of another country, so what?

Any American anywhere should have the right to wear the flag of our country that so many died for. Shameful to think otherwise imo.

Will the ACLU come out and defend them? Ha!

Three things amuse me here and I trust ziggy won't mind me taking off from her post. (In fact, I agree with her.)

1. All this talk about the sacrifices of our forefathers (not from ziggy). The forebearers of Mexican-Americans were Spanish, Mexican and Indian; they suffered a hell of lot more than the Anglos who invaded California looking for gold.

2. The "things are going to hell lately" claim (which ziggy did not make). Irish-Americans have been "awearing o' the green" on St. Patrick's Day since long before I was born. Although the custom wasn't enforced by school officials, students when I was a kid used to reserve the right to punch any kid who didn't wear green. (It had nothing to do with being Irish; it was just punches in the arm and something kids did.)

3. The hot topic when I was a teen in the late 1960s was the supposed "outrage" of wearing the American flag as clothing in ANY case except military decorations. More than one kid found himself stripped in public by rednecks who objected to his flag pants, shirt or hat. The same people who are defending the wearing of red, white and blue now would have opposed it back then.

So let's don't pretend there's some sort of universal, objective rule on the subject. Patriotic customs are fluid and change rather quickly.

I'm with ziggy and those who think the flag-wearers were a$$-clowns (no pun intended), but the vice-principal overreacted.

I don't think they were being jerks at all. If they wore the clothes to make a point, that's fine. As long as they did nothing wrong what is the big deal?
This is America. Self expression of the love of your country should be ok any day of the year IMO.

Except, Kim, in this context, the wearing of national colors signifies ETHNICITY, not SOVEREIGNTY. With very few exceptions, Mexican-Americans who raise the Mexican flag (in any form) aren't calling for a Mexican takeover of the Southwestern U.S.; they are displaying their identification with their Mexican heritage. (Apparently, they don't get an entire color, like the Irish.)

And wearing the Stars and Stripes in this context isn't about pride in our country, for the most part, but arrogance born in being comparatively non-Latino. That's why it's obnoxious.

Protected speech? Yes, I agree with you. But speech being protected doesn't make it admirable.

This is total BS! We are not the dam United States of Mexico. They do not like it head back across the border so you will not be offended. I am sick of paying for pregnant women that make it across the border and popping a baby out so they can be a US citizen. Then I can work another year to pay for it. When are people going to say enough is enough to the illegal Mexican people that come here and try to change the US.:banghead: You want my respect come legally, get a job. learn English and join me watching your paycheck shrink. Do NOT tell me not to wear the flag my dad, brother and husband fought for!!!!!!

If you want MY respect don't extend your empire by slaughtering the native peoples like Anglos did in the Southwest. I believe we took a dim view of such practices when Germany and Japan tried it, but guess who they were imitating?

No, it won't be the last of stories like this. Because, IMO, American's are losing more and more freedoms as to not offend or hurt others' feelings. There should never be guilt for loving your country and showing your love and support by wearing red, white, and blue. IMO
A lot of people will not be happy until we are stripped from everything this country was founded on.

I mean, we have a president that refused to wear a flag on his coat for a long time. And, the people of America voted him in. But, I did notice he's wearing one now that his ratings have went down.

It's REALLY time to turn of Fox News. (I know, I know: you never watch it. Nobody does.)

The President didn't think wearing flag pins by rote showed much in the way of patriotism and I agree with him.

As for all the rights we are supposedly "losing", I'd like to see a list. As I said above, one couldn't even wear an American flag as clothing when I was a kid (well, the issue was still being fought in the courts). How would we have fewer rights now, even if we could only wear it 364 days per year?

Ok, then let's start by looking at what it exactly TAKES to be a citizen of this country.

I don't like that kids were told NOT to wear American colors, because let's face it, we ARE in america. BUT, If you don't like the "perks" as many of you call them that illegal immigrants have, then let's look at our laws that are in place in regards to becoming a citizen. ALong the same lines, nothing burns me up like a crime being committed by an illegal alien just to be sent back to their country for "punishment" to come back and try again. My answer? Make them a citizen. Make it a TEST and NOT money that makes you a citizen (please believe i Know there is a citizenship test, but I also know money talks more than any test!) THEN when a crime is committed, we punish. No one would worry about the Medicaid because let's face it as citizens they pay into it.

I agree with both sides here. It's not right for someone to come here illegally. ..but it's not right that we, as a COUNTRY of illegal people, would stop someone from wanting a better life.

Don't we do that now in the case of major crimes--make the convict serve his sentence here and then deport him to Mexico?

I don't think most Caucasian's ancestors did come here illegally. The first ones came by ship and some worked out peace with the Indians who lived in the area until so many came moving West that mistreatment and wars broke out. Seems like the same thing is happening all over again with them coming in droves. We sure don't want fighting happening again with Mexico people and the other South Americans who can just walk or ride over in a vehicle.

They didn't come here "illegally" only because after the death of 90% of the Indian population there was a perceived labor shortage and big money interests wanted the cheap labor so immigration prohibitions were few. But immigrants from Europe weren't that different: they came largely for economic reasons and, unless they already knew English, most lived in communities where their native language was spoken.

As for a period of peace between colonists and Native Americans, it was a period of a almost exactly one year! A 12-year-war followed, during which the Anglos did nice things like dig up Native graves in order to steal the household items the Indians buried with their dead. (Of course, the Indians in Mexico, Florida and the Caribbean had been defending their land against the Spanish since almost a century earlier.)

We are a nation of immigrants.

On March 17th, people (many of whom bear no Irish ancestry) wear green. (When I was a kid my mom made us wear orange because we were protestant Scots-Irish. How embarassing, but that is another issue, lol).

On Columbus Day, bars and restaurants celebrate with tasty Italian fare and parades with the Italian flag waving. (Not going to debate the whole Vespucci/Columbus thing).

In Louisiana, we celebrate the French Catholic tradition of Mardi Gras. The state is draped in purple, green and gold (actually, year-round, and nobody seems to mind).

And in Southwestern states, the 5th of May is another festive holiday for American citizens and for Mexican residents alike.

Oh! Chinese New Year! Rosh Hashanna! Guy Fawkes? Oktoberfest?

I am wondering how any of these are counter to being respectful of the USA?

Does it really diminish our identity as a nation if we embrace all cultural celebrations? If it does, we are pretty weak and whiny.

Why can't we celebrate our individuality?

I am proud of my Scots heritage, and also my French and Welsh heritage. If I wanted to celebrate my heritage by wearing a tee shirt or hanging a flag in my yard, am I no longer an American?

So much for tolerance.

I have to agree with Theodore Roosevelt on this subject: "We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and this is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

How convenient for Teddy! His flag, his language, his loyalty. None of which deterred him from conquering Puerto Rico and Cuba to add them to the American empire.

I wonder if he was speaking to Texan Anglos?

Then have them spend the money they would use coming here illegally to come here as a legal citizen. Take the test at an American Embassy and then come to the US for your better life.

FYI I am 1/2 Cherokee Indian

The legal immigration period may take as long as 24 years. If your Mexican children are starving...

It's REALLY time to turn of Fox News. (I know, I know: you've never watch it. Nobody has.)

The President didn't think wearing flag pins by rote showed much in the way of patriotism and I agree with him.

As for all the rights we are supposedly "losing", I'd like to see a list. As I said above, one couldn't even wear an American flag as clothing when I was a kid (well, the issue was still being fought in the courts). How would we have fewer rights now, even if we could only wear it 364 days per year?

I agree. Doing ANYTHING by rote is essentially meaningless.

Making a statement based on heartfelt belief, well, that is something. Frankly, I would find suspect a person who declared a pin or flag as the only real show of one's allegiance.

I would look more into a person's deeds and character.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurumsal
Back