Terri Horman retains criminal defense attorney!

Maybe she slipped out in the truck of Mr. Cook when he delivered groceries.

I would think this attorney would be willing to wait for payment, knowing that she would be entitled to half the value of the house, at least.

Will be interesting to see what's next. I don't think we will be hearing a word from her.

We really don't know if there is equity in the house. As I recall, they purchased it fairly recently (I think I heard this was Kyron's first year at Skyline). I read somewhere that the house was appraised at $292,000.00. That may have been a few years ago when housing was it it's peak. It may be worth less at this point and depending on when they purchased it they may owe more then it's worth. It's happening to a lot of people around here.

Good post.

Well, if she can slip past a hoard of reporters without being seen, she most certainly could have slipped past a few teachers, parents and students with Kyron without being seen. Appears to me she's had a little practice at slipping past people un-noticed. Maybe she disguised herself as a red squirrel.
LOL, You always come out with these clever posts to make your point. ITA with you and thought it was beautifully posted.

It seems to me it must have something to do with the LE presser tomoz at 10am.

It could be they were sitting on her pretty hard so she was convinced by friends and family she needs an attny. Hope LE got some truthful info from her because she won't be sayin' anything more to them with Mr Houze by her side. It could be now comes the time for an arrest. I also agree with you Calliope that she could be a pro bono client. IMO

I think alot of us, even though there is a chance she may be innocent , were wondering why she did not protect herself in this way.

No worries there; I certainly don't. IF she gets convicted, she still gets a settlement? :waitasec:

(IMHO) Of course she does. Unless there is some kind of law that I'm unaware of. You can be in jail and have stocks, own a home, have bank accounts...

RE: Housing market- look, according to public records her husband is at about 100k a year + benes. House is modest for that income. They have money. I could be wrong (could happen...lol!) but as the daughter and brother of lawyers- trust me, there is NO DISCOUNT in this case. There is no need for "pro bono". She is paying full price, and one brilliant thing her soon-to-be-ex did in all of this was limit his liability on her legal expenses. He has exempted himself from this enormous expense/debt that she is (possibly) taking on.

Thanks Emma I figured that one out,lol...what I mean is how does this play out in regards to POI/not POI etc. Does this change somehow now that she has an atty. that they would now say she is a POI?

LOL Nana, sorry. I'm just a little relieved we have a good attorney on board.

I have been thinking a couple of things:

1) LE was ready to arrest her and told Kaine they were comfortable with him making his move, knowing Kaine wanted out and safety and wanted to file the divorce proceeding. If LE is indeed comfortable, then they have done all they think they can regarding making a case against Terri. And they will proceed with an arrest in short order.

2) Kaine could no longer wait to make his move and he did what he did and LE just has to deal with the result, which is Terri lawyering up.

3) Terri indicated to LE she ready to talk, but wanted an attorney present. Kaine made his move, even though she was ready to talk, because she was getting an attorney anyway.

There might be other scenarios .... these are just the ones I come up with offhand.

LE does not have to name her POI or suspect to begin talking ...

This is where it gets dicey for me with defense attorneys....I just pray I never need one and I understand everyone has rights.....I just cannot get it through my head though that lots of these cases get off due to good counsel....it worries me and I guess I just want to be able to understand a lawyer's reasoning but it is not my place to know and could not strap my head around it anyway....the Baez deal has forever imprinted my pea brain of what can happen in a murder case.:banghead:
If you are innocent fine......but lots of times there is guilt.

Is anyone concerned that (if arrested, charged & tried) she will get off on a technicality or by some other means, since she has such a 'good attorney'?

It seems that TH got a look at what LE is thinking due to the restraining order. She knows she is a person of interest, no matter what LE is saying. I think it is telling that she got herself a criminal attorney and not a family law attorney. Her priorities at this point must be staying out of jail and not getting her daughter back.

LOL Nana, sorry. I'm just a little relieved we have a good attorney on board.

I have been thinking a couple of things:

1) LE was ready to arrest her and told Kaine they were comfortable with him making his move, knowing Kaine wanted out and safety and wanted to file the divorce proceeding. If LE is indeed comfortable, then they have done all they think they can regarding making a case against Terri. And they will proceed with an arrest in short order.

2) Kaine could no longer wait to make his move and he did what he did and LE just has to deal with the result, which is Terri lawyering up.

3) Terri indicated to LE she ready to talk, but wanted an attorney present. Kaine made his move, even though she was ready to talk, because she was getting an attorney anyway.

There might be other scenarios .... these are just the ones I come up with offhand.

LE does not have to name her POI or suspect to begin talking ...
ITA. There is also the fact( maybe) that they did not want to arrest her in front of the little one. I know my LE friends try to avoid that.

Hmmmm It might be LE will now have to out fox the FOX. By the FOX I don't mean her but rather Mr Houze. Hopefully there are some super thinkers among the LE ranks who will know just what tack to take now. I hope the FBI is still with the team. We've read about Multnomah County's Prosecutor, pretty sharp he seems. Let's hope it all comes together now to benefit Kyron, finding and bringing him home and then nailing those who threw him away.

Oregon is a non community property state- TH doesn't automatically get half...

Is anyone concerned that (if arrested, charged & tried) she will get off on a technicality or by some other means, since she has such a 'good attorney'?

No. I don't think there are many cases where someone charged with the murder of a child get off on a technicality. At worst, sometimes a new trial might be ordered on appeal because of a technical deficiency in the state's case, or once in a while a retrial if there's a hung jury.

I can't offhand recall any case at all where someone was brought to trial for the murder of a child and walked away free on a technicality. The system really does work very well and the guilty almost always pay, especially in these cases (that is, in the ones where someone is actually charged and brought to trial).

It seems that TH got a look at what LE is thinking due to the restraining order. She knows she is a person of interest, no matter what LE is saying. I think it is telling that she got herself a criminal attorney and not a family law attorney. Her priorities at this point must be staying out of jail and not getting her daughter back.

She may have a family law attorney. But, even if she had first spoken to a family attorney, that attorney, (assuming they read her paperwork, if not the newspaper), would have been obligated to send her to the best criminal attorney they could think of. She has 30 days to respond to the divorce filing. She has an immediate need for criminal representation. Period. She had that need several weeks ago - & when they published her face all over the flyer & when they first asked her to take LDT's... IMO

Still on the fence (leaning away from the majority) with regards to her involvement but I'm really glad that she has representation now. If LE doesn't have some super solid evidence they have done the Horman family members, including Kyron Horman, an incredible disservice. Really I'd say everyone is worse off

It occurs ro me that LE is stacking the deck against her by asking folks to stay away from the media. I'm really glad that one family let their story be known despite being asked not to. I just don't get the feeling she harmed KH and I think the police have blinders on. Of course its just a feeling and I could very well be wrong but for now thats where I'm at.

Wowza.

They don't come any more pre-eminent or more highly rated than Houzer's rating.

http://www.martindale.com/Results.aspx

(Highest peer review rating possible.)

(so much for not being able to afford the very best...) ;)

Oh good. Thank you LORD this is not another Baez. Good for her for getting a good attorney. This case won't be a circus like the Anthony case then.

I don't think an attorney of this magnitude would represent her, if he didn't think he had a shot at successfully defending her interests.

If an arrest looks likely now do you guys think LE will:

* Show up unannounced at her property say tonight to effect an arrest
* Wait till right before the presser to arrest her and then announce she has been arrested, or
* Allow her attorney to deliver her to the Sheriff's office to be arrested?

Any other options?

Believe me, you want everyone to have good representation and make sure their constitutional rights are preserved. It's what this country was founded on! Of course we all want the guilty to pay for their crimes, but it's vital that law and procedures and due process be followed. That's my definition of justice. It's not a perfect system, but it's proven itself over the last 234 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uncommongrackle
Back