Threadiquette & Forum Rules Updates ~ Ask Your Questions Here

bolding mine>

I can't always tell if someone's baiting so with one post I try my best to reply in a sincere manner. If it turns out the person IS baiting for it's own sake they see this as buffoonish on my part, naive if you will and are at it all the more. I've been banned from other cites for alerting a mod so I'm loathe to do that. Will I be banned for trying to answer courteously and sincere? Sometimes it does take more than one or a couple posts to try to guess someone's purpose.

if someone is baiting you, (and truly it may only be a perception because the written word is tricky that way) ignore them 100%. if it is a troll, responding to them in a polite manner will not make any difference. Put them on ignore, scroll by and find a post that is interesting and worthy of discussion.
If no one talks to trolls, they have no one to talk to.
Honestly, it really is that simple.

You will never be banned for answering someone in a polite and courteous manner. if you fall for their trick once, just don;t do it twice :)

Discussions regarding TH's Facebook are allowed if located in the main stream media. Here's a list of sources you may draw from using links:

Main stream media, including Willamette Week

Television

The Levi Page Show

UPDATE:

You may link to comments made by members in the earlier threads about TM's FB page while it was still open.

If you know of another source to be considered, contact us privately and we'll look into it for you.

Remember, TH is not a POI and LE has asked us to be kind when posting on the internet. We can discuss suspicious behavior, but we can't bash or accuse anyone of a crime, or anything along that line. No matter what you believe, think of TH as innocent as you post peculiar behavior.

Is what we hear reported on tv and radio news okay to mention? Even if it's tv news reports I'm usually only privy to audio so all I hear is what I hear. abc, cbs, fox, msnbc, cnn. Are those considered main stream media? Otherwise it's AP news via radio broadcast. Is AP radio considred main stream?

Is what we hear reported on tv and radio news okay to mention? Even if it's tv news reports I'm usually only privy to audio so all I hear is what I hear. abc, cbs, fox, msnbc, cnn. Are those considered main stream media? Otherwise it's AP news via radio broadcast. Is AP radio considred main stream?

sure as long as you can link to the report. You would be surprised how many times that I have thought the newscaster said something that they didn't.
So, it is always best to link the report. If it is information that is not totally contradictory to prior information, or an aha moment or immaterial to the case, it's not such a big deal.
For example if you said I heard on the radio that they did not find anything at SI, you wouldn't really need to link that because it is already generally understood. But if you said I heard they found a woman's size 5 shoe by SI and it matches the shoe that XX wears, you better find a link or forget about posting it.
hth

if someone is baiting you, (and truly it may only be a perception because the written word is tricky that way) ignore them 100%. if it is a troll, responding to them in a polite manner will not make any difference. Put them on ignore, scroll by and find a post that is interesting and worthy of discussion.
If no one talks to trolls, they have no one to talk to.
Honestly, it really is that simple.

You will never be banned for answering someone in a polite and courteous manner. if you fall for their trick once, just don;t do it twice :)

Yes that's simple enough but I already replied to someone today in sincere manner who I just was unsure of. I will take heed. Thank you.

sure as long as you can link to the report. You would be surprised how many times that I have thought the newscaster said something that they didn't.
So, it is always best to link the report. If it is information that is not totally contradictory to prior information, or an aha moment or immaterial to the case, it's not such a big deal.
For example if you said I heard on the radio that they did not find anything at SI, you wouldn't really need to link that because it is already generally understood. But if you said I heard they found a woman's size 5 shoe by SI and it matches the shoe that XX wears, you better find a link or forget about posting it.
hth

I would never mention a news report if I wasn't positive of what I heard and I have been in that situation where I thought I heard something. But I wouldn't mention it on a msg board unless I'm positive. AP or CNN can be verified by a reader of msg boards. At least eventually. Usually takes a few overnite hrs or such for them to post on their web sites. Or people can email them to verify it was reported. I understand not posting specifics without a link or source. I appreciate your help very much.

Landscaper or LS is the appropriate way to refer to the man who came forward to say he had been offered money to kill Kaine.

Lawn Boy, Lawn Dude, the Weed Whacker or other such variations might be construed as offensive, and will be considered name calling.

I would like to make a heartfelt and courteous plea to please let the terms stepmom, stepdad, biological parents, step parents, grandparents please be used. MSM uses these terms in their headers, posters post them in the links thread for this case. If it's okay to post small exerpts of MSM news stories with these terms in them, why is it not alright for us to type them?

Kyron does have grandparents, mother, father, step mother, step father, grandfather, grandparents.

Why is this considered a nono if MSM uses these terms and headers & excerpts to news stories containing these terms are allowed to be posted with these terms in them. The little boy does have these people in his life. Please let us type them & not just copy & paste. I'm a fast typer and it's much faster for me to type these terms than to study all the people's specific names just for sake of casual chat. I never took these terms as disrespectful to anyone in any way when reading or hearing them from news reports. I never meant these terms as disrespectful to anyone in any way when I used them myself. I sincerely thought what MSM uses is okay to use. These terms are pertinent to this case and they can be linked to MSM news on this case.

Google search results and much of them are MSM and oregon news. These terms are even used continually in video reports on this case.

kryon step mom
About 18,800 results (0.42 seconds)
kryon stepmom
About 22,300 results (0.18 seconds)
kyron step parents
About 28,700 results (0.35 seconds)
kyron biological parents
About 13,900 results (0.28 seconds)

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

A short list of initials used in Kyron's forum:

KH - Kaine Horman (father)
DY - Desiree Young (mother)
TH - Terri Horman (stepmother)
TY - Tony Younger (stepfather)
JF - Jaymie Finster (friend of Terri named in media)
AH - Art Harris
NG - Nancy Grace
JVM - Jane Velez Mitchell

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107206"]*~* Welcome Members and Guests to Kyron's Forum *~* - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

(Add to that, "K" or "baby K" for Kyron's little sister, if you need to refer to her.)

HTH

Thanks to the person who posted the guide. I know there's guides for abbreviations and a lot of people like to use them, but it doesn't say it's required. Why can't we simply type little sister etc? Is the nicknames mandatory?

Thanks to the person who posted the guide. I know there's guides for abbreviations and a lot of people like to use them, but it doesn't say it's required. Why can't we simply type little sister etc? Is the nicknames mandatory?

No, they are just a guide. :)

I have used respectful descriptors (like "TH's dad" or "Kyron's little sister") and was not disciplined for it. I don't know if the rules have changed, but I was under the impression that they just didn't want minors' names or derogatory nicknames. I haven't been to the threads much these past few days (the heat makes me cranky, so I am staying away from anything serious), so I am not sure what makes you think those terms you listed are not allowed.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Perhaps you should PM a mod if you see your posts being deleted or edited and want clarification.

(Others will, of course, continue to use initials and such, as most of the regular posters on these forums are quite familiar with the case and know all players by name.)

I have used respectful descriptors (like "TH's dad" or "Kyron's little sister") and was not disciplined for it. I don't know if the rules have changed, but I was under the impression that they just didn't want minors' names or derogatory nicknames. Perhaps you should PM a mod. Sorry I can't be of more help.

(Others will, of course, continue to use initials and such, as most of the regular posters on these forums are quite familiar with the case and know all the players by name.)

All of that is fine. The initials were created so people knew who others were talking about. :)

No, they are just a guide. :)

Thank you. I hope the terms little sister, grandma, grandpa, cousin, uncle, stepmom and stepdad, stepfather, half-brother, half-sister, step-sister, biological brother, biological-sister, sis, biological dad, biological mom etal have not become derogatory terms. It makes me want to cry to think that they have.

Those are beloved endearing terms generated by respect. Calling people by their first names as if I know them personally when I don't is to familiar for me. I understand when others do but I ask the same consideration. I'm so sorry anyone would think I'm cynical by referring to someone's step-parent, uncle or grandparent or half-sibling appropriately. Because that's what they are and there is nothing disrespectful in calling them those widely accepted terms.

Cynical means to show contempt. Those terms have no part of that word's definition. They mean the opposite. They indicate love, caring and respect.

Could a mod or someone else in the know help me out on this:

Are we allowed to link to an interview with a minor if his/her name and face aren't shown in our post itself? (i.e. that video interview with Kyron's friend - if we disable the embedding, and just link to the vid, is that ok?)

TIA.

You can link to a news story just don't embed as you stated. MSM only. And you know also of course no minor names. 10-4.
Thanks for asking :)

I'm sorry, but I find it extremely disconcerting / frustrating when entire threads get moved and become inaccessible. This happened a few times with the Casey threads and then again with the Shaniya threads. I turned to lurking because it's horribly frustrating (when participating in a discussion) to find the thread ripped away removing important exchange of ideas / info along with whatever material was/is deemed inappropriate. Wouldn't it be better to just purge the offending posts rather than invalidating the exchanges or, worse yet, leaving one with the feeling that they may have offended, although not knowing how. It really does discourage one from participating. Why bother to start / join in a conversation if its only going to be removed (for whatever reason) unless one has a photographic memory and has committed every earlier comment to memory and/or really doesn't give a hoot what others' as yet unseen opinions, ideas, responses may have been.

I don't mean to grouse, but isn't there a way to delete unwanted posts without punishing everyone?

I think that when there are a lot of rumors and bashing..etc. going on it's difficult for the mods to go through all of the posts and delete each individual one so that's why the whole thread gets shut down or removed. At least for me, I never go through all of the posts when trying to keep up with new info because it's impossible to take the time to do so. I understand how you feel though :smile:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back