Hurricane Earl

I've spoken to my Mom in NJ...she says she's not worried. She'll just stay home on Friday. :waitasec: I tried to explain that she may need water and supplies, but she thinks I'm a worry-wart (I am...it's true, I worry about her).

So at this point, unless they come tell her to leave (they meaning the police), she's gonna just stay home on Friday.

She's probably going to be just fine. I will be a mess worrying about her until we have a better idea of where Mean Earl will be hitting...

Sigh.

Best-
Herding Cats

This is an amazing pic of Earl taken from the International Space Station:

I've been watching Earl all night, and the situation's not looking good. He still hasn't made the northward turn that was predicted, and the trough that was supposed to steer him north might actually be backing up to let him in. :praying:

I've been watching Earl all night, and the situation's not looking good. He still hasn't made the northward turn that was predicted, and the trough that was supposed to steer him north might actually be backing up to let him in. :praying:[/QUOTEt

I cant seem to find anythin more current then last nigh. The maps Darkknight
post are the best I kind find but I was looking for information on the front that wa susposed to block Earl from coming ashore.

If it does make landfall of North Carolina and Virginia I stand to affected seem. All the snow we had over the winter in VA has done a number on our trees and roofs,so I dunno how well we would do with storm damage.

I've been watching Earl all night, and the situation's not looking good. He still hasn't made the northward turn that was predicted, and the trough that was supposed to steer him north might actually be backing up to let him in. :praying:[/QUOTEt

I cant seem to find anythin more current then last nigh. The maps Darkknight
post are the best I kind find but I was looking for information on the front that wa susposed to block Earl from coming ashore.

If it does make landfall of North Carolina and Virginia I stand to affected seem. All the snow we had over the winter in VA has done a number on our trees and roofs,so I dunno how well we would do with storm damage.

Check out Dr. Masters' blog at the Weather Underground and particularly the discussion below his post. The members are amateur, but dedicated, meteorologists, a lot like Websleuthers. You'll find links to all kinds of maps there and the latest up to the moment information.

Fortunately, it looks like Earl has started to take the northward turn, but will still skirt very close to the Outer Banks. The NHC has moved its model to the west. He's even showing signs of slightly weakening, but the latest pressure was 929mb, so that's not saying much.

Here's the Wunderground link. Godspeed.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1600

Be careful all who are in Earls path..seems he's gaining strength...God Speed.

Check out Dr. Masters' blog at the Weather Underground and particularly the discussion below his post. The members are amateur, but dedicated, meteorologists, a lot like Websleuthers. You'll find links to all kinds of maps there and the latest up to the moment information.

Fortunately, it looks like Earl has started to take the northward turn, but will still skirt very close to the Outer Banks. The NHC has moved its model to the west. He's even showing signs of slightly weakening, but the latest pressure was 929mb, so that's not saying much.

Here's the Wunderground link. Godspeed.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1600

Good morning all! bessie, I really like this link. Thanks for posting it!

I evacuated to my daughter's home inland last night since my home is at sea level and I didn't want to risk flooding from the storm surge. It is already overcast and breezy in SE NC and conditions will deteriorate throughout the day. Forecasters are calling for 50-60 MPH winds later on today. We are under a TS warning so hopefully we will miss the brunt of the storm.

I am really worried about folk who live in points north. Please take this seriously folks and evacuate when told. This is a powerful storm. Stay safe everybody on the east coast!

wm

Good morning all! bessie, I really like this link. Thanks for posting it!

I evacuated to my daughter's home inland last night since my home is at sea level and I didn't want to risk flooding from the storm surge. It is already overcast and breezy in SE NC and conditions will deteriorate throughout the day. Forecasters are calling for 50-60 MPH winds later on today. We are under a TS warning so hopefully we will miss the brunt of the storm.

I am really worried about folk who live in points north. Please take this seriously folks and evacuate when told. This is a powerful storm. Stay safe everybody on the east coast!

wm
It's good to hear that you're out of harm's way, WM. Also, glad you like the wunderground site. They're always a few hours ahead of the official news sources who rely on the NWS advisories.

Hoping and praying everyone stays safe and damages are not too great.

Hurricane season sucks, and I don't like the look of this year. It's giving me flashbacks to 2005.

Friends, please don't make us have to search and rescue you. If you're advised to evacuate- evacuate. And please help your elderly and infirm neighbors do so as well.

ETA: and take your pets, PLEASE!!! You wouldn't leave a child to fend for themself....don't leave your helpless best friend behind, either.

There are likely other cruise lines/ships that are having to divert ships from the path of the storm, but here is the official notice from Princess cruises regarding the Caribbean Princess that is currently on a Canada/New England sailing:

9/1/2010

Update on Hurricane Earl

We have been closely monitoring Hurricane Earl as it heads north and is forecast to be in the path of Caribbean Princess from Halifax to New York.
As the safety of our passengers and crew is our priority, we have cancelled Caribbean Princess' call to Halifax tomorrow and will sail directly for New York to avoid the worst effect of the hurricane. The ship will instead make a call to Manhattan on Friday September 3. During the early morning of Saturday, September 4 Caribbean Princess will reposition to the cruise terminal in Brooklyn in time for disembarkation Saturday morning. We expect embarkation for the next voyage to commence as planned, and Caribbean Princess will sail from New York at 5 p.m. Saturday evening.

our sciguy at houston chronicle has an awesome blog and is very knowlegable....he follows all hurricanes and updates twice a day......check him out.

snipped HURRICANE EARL

Earl has intensified over night into a very powerful 145 mph hurricane and forecasters believe the storm should now slowly weaken due to increasing wind shear and decreasing sea surface temperatures as it tracks north.

Fortunately it still appears the storm will not make a direct hit on the United States, but it will come close to the Carolinas and Massachusetts, especially the latter. Here are the overnight (00Z) runs for the major dynamical models:

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/

I am so glad I moved away from all that, the year we got the 19 or so hurricanes was it for me I was so tired of putting shutters up and down I just left them up. The metal shutters weigh a ton. The only thing is I was always late for work because it was so dark. Oh well now I'm 1200 ft about sea level and chances are hurricanes will be tropical storms, if that, by the time they get here. Well I hope everyone evacuated that was suppose to and your lights come on right away and nobody gets hurt or killed, and your property stays in one piece. Keep us informed if your in the path please we really do care.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kebrando
Back