GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he left about 7pm when Jo was in the pub and Jo was seen alive after that right up to 8:40pm.

Yes he could have left later but surely the police would have checked his timeline and interviewed his half brother and his wife to confirm what time he arrived?

For example, for a long drive he may have needed to buy petrol or stop for a toilet break.

Also, would he have used a toll road?

Motorways in the UK have CCTV cameras everywhere - if he said he left at a certain time they could check cameras en route to plot his journey, and any stops.

As he would have initially been the prime suspect, I'm sure they went through his movements with a fine tooth comb.

JMHO.

I am sure the police said they were able to rule him out due to credit card reciepts & his mobile phone records, but dont be fooled by that. There are many tricks you can do with a mobile phone, here is one i know of -

if you switch your mobile off it sends a signal out to the network provider informing them you have switched it off, therefore if somebody rings you it gives the message "we are sorry, this mobile phone is currently switched off" , however if you pull the battery of the back the phone it is unable to send a signal out to the service provider, so when somebody calls the phone it gives the alternate message "we are sorry, this mobile phone is unavailable" making the caller think you have lost the signal ;) Basically the service provider assumes you have lost your signal !

Could the police of been wrong footed by GR taking the battery of his mobile after travelling a short distance & then returning to murder JY ?? You cant rule it out.

That's a good point. It was one of the worst nights weatherwise, so his 3 hour journey could easily have taken twice that time under all the circumstances. If he had a full tank, I cant necessarily see the need for him to stop, he could have had supplies in the car before setting out.... one would hope that the cops have thoroughly checked out his alibi..... I wouldn't take the word of his brother as gospel.

Surely he would of tanked his car up in Bristol before he set off ?? These credit card receipts would look suspect if he kept on pulling over to fill up ?? A full tank would get him there easy.

Yes, it would not surprise me at all if the BF is the perp. He may have telephoned and texted, and she never answered. He drives back and she has been at a pub ... and drinking cider. Certainly, he has exhibited lots of warning signs.

Sorry, I think that is highly unlikely - the UK is no where near as large as the US but to drive from Bristol to Sheffield and back you'd be looking at a 6.5 hour round trip, or 2 x 178 miles and that's without any delays on the roads such as bad weather, accidents etc.

The UK had just been hit with heavy snowfall making driving hazardous and slow.

The b/f doesn't strike me as a domineering control freak - he and Jo were messy individuals.

If he was a control freak he would be neat and tidy and surely he would have insisted Jo accompany him on his trip to Sheffield.

And as for exhibiting warning signs - the only evidence I can see of those is him being Jo's boyfriend.

Joanna Yeates police face questions over investigation

Detectives investigating the murder of Joanna Yeates are facing criticism that they appear no closer to finding her killer and may have made errors during the early part of the inquiry.

Police admit they still do not know where and when the landscape architect died or at what stage her body was dumped on a roadside verge, and appear to have backtracked on a crucial early theory about how the killer may have got to her.

Officers had been adamant there was no sign of a break-in at the flat, but now say they are following that line of inquiry.
---
A member of the Avon and Somerset Police Authority, who asked not to be named, said it was "worrying" that the police did not appear close to finding the murderer.

much more, very good article, at
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jan/04/joanna-yeates-police-questions-investigation

I am sure the police said they were able to rule him out due to credit card reciepts & his mobile phone records, but dont be fooled by that. There are many tricks you can do with a mobile phone, here is one i know of -

if you switch your mobile off it sends a signal out to the network provider informing them you have switched it off, therefore if somebody rings you it gives the message "we are sorry, this mobile phone is currently switched off" , however if you pull the battery of the back the phone it is unable to send a signal out to the service provider, so when somebody calls the phone it gives the alternate message "we are sorry, this mobile phone is unavailable" making the caller think you have lost the signal ;) Basically the service provider assumes you have lost your signal !

Could the police of been wrong footed by GR taking the battery of his mobile after travelling a short distance & then returning to murder JY ?? You cant rule it out.

Well if he was so cunning then it was pre - meditated. The dumping of her body in a place where it would be quickly found suggests it wasn't pre-meditated at all.

I'm sure if Greg meticuously planned Jo's murder down to fooling the police then he would have had better plans for the disposal of Jo's body so it would never be found or not found for a long time.

Surely he would of tanked his car up in Bristol before he set off ?? These credit card receipts would look suspect if he kept on pulling over to fill up ?? A full tank would get him there easy.

I don't always fill up before a long journey. As long as I have enough to get half way, I'll stop and refuel and grab a coffee or sandwich at the same time. 3 hours minimum is a long time to drive without a break.

sorry if I didn't make it clear, that was the point I was trying to make.... all a debit/credit card receipt would prove is when he filled up, a full tank would have been enough to get him there, so there could just be one bank transaction sometime on fri eve and nothing else till saturday...... mobile tracking is another thing, but as another poster pointed out.... not infallable.

I dont think it was planned but he had all weekend to get a story/alibi right in his head.

I don't always fill up before a long journey. As long as I have enough to get half way, I'll stop and refuel and grab a coffee or sandwich at the same time. 3 hours minimum is a long time to drive without a break.

IF something tragic had just happened, I dont think he'd be concious of 'time'.

Having evidently just had a jump to charge the battery before he left, I doubt if Greg would have stopped between Bristol and Sheffield for fear the charge would drain if he turned off the vehicle.

IF something tragic had just happened, I dont think he'd be concious of 'time'.

Sorry, I'm talking about Greg NOT having done it and the possible behaviour ppl might exhibit on a long journey.

If you mean by tragic as in Greg had just murdered his girlfriend then I think he would be very conscious of time. How else would he plan an alibi?

Sorry, I'm talking about Greg NOT having done it and the possible behaviour ppl might exhibit on a long journey.

If you mean by tragic as in Greg had just murdered his girlfriend then I think he would be very conscious of time. How else would he plan an alibi?

As I said; he had all weekend to plan his story, he knew she wouldn't be reported missing until Sunday Evening.

Having evidently just had a jump to charge the battery before he left, I doubt if Greg would have stopped between Bristol and Sheffield for fear the charge would drain if he turned off the vehicle.

True.

As I said; he had all weekend to plan his story, he knew she wouldn't be reported missing until Sunday Evening.

Maybe, but I personally can't see Greg driving from Bristol to Sheffield, then from Sheffield to Bristol to kill Jo, dump her body and then drive back to Sheffield.

That would be approx 10 hours of driving miniumum in good weather conditions and on Friday 17th and Sat 18th there was very heavy snowfall.

I also don't think he would know the significance of the pizza or it's packaging and therefore know to dispose of it where the police can't find it.

Afterall, if the pizza packaging had his fingerprints that wouldn't be out of the ordinary in his own home.

As I said before, just because he had the car jumpstarted at 7pm, doesn't mean he set off to Sheffield at 7pm. What if he did go to pick Joanna up ("I want to see you before I leave"). The only way I would completely rule this out is if his so called 'receipt' placed him near, or at least halfway to Sheffield at 9pm, 10pm latest.

At the moment, I'm not sure I trust the police to check out anything - fancy making such a big fuss initially over the pizza without checking whether the bins had been emptied first! :confused:

ETA: Perhaps they'd had a tiff and parted on a row, he set off to Sheffield at 7pm, got 1 hour in and was pondering it while driving, tried to call her, no answer, turned back to make amends, returns home (getting back for, ooh 9pm? :waitasec:), fight carries over, something happens, *****, panic stations, heads back up to Sheffield, a 2 hour delay can be easily explained....adverse weather conditions.

As I said before, just because he had the car jumpstarted at 7pm, doesn't mean he set off to Sheffield at 7pm. What if he did go to pick Joanna up ("I want to see you before I leave"). The only way I would completely rule this out is if his so called 'receipt' placed him near, or at least halfway to Sheffield at 9pm, 10pm latest.

At the moment, I'm not sure I trust the police to check out anything - fancy making such a big fuss initially over the pizza without checking whether the bins had been emptied first! :confused:

Agreed. When a source on the Avon and Somerset Police Authority is expressing concern about the investigation, the whole thing appears close to unravelling.

(Guardian link above)

I also don't think he would know the significance of the pizza or it's packaging and therefore know to dispose of it where the police can't find it.

Afterall, if the pizza packaging had his fingerprints that wouldn't be out of the ordinary in his own home.

He purportedly had left for Sheffield before Jo even bought the pizza although I don't remember ever seeing his exact timeline. If she handled and/or ate the pizza that night and the police knew that then the significance is that if he also handled and/or ate it with her then he would be connected to her at a time when she disappeared when he said he was not there.

To add to my above theory...makes even more sense as to why Joanna didn't appear to want to 'see GR off'...I would have wanted to say goodbye to my boyfriend if he was going away for the weekend. I wondered before if she was wandering around numerous shops as a delaying tactic because she wasn't quite ready to go home...

JMO

ETA: Perhaps they'd had a tiff and parted on a row, he set off to Sheffield at 7pm, got 1 hour in and was pondering it while driving, tried to call her, no answer, turned back to make amends, returns home (getting back for, ooh 9pm? :waitasec:), fight carries over, something happens, *****, panic stations, heads back up to Sheffield, a 2 hour delay can be easily explained....adverse weather conditions.

I'm thinking along those lines, get's car started, leaves it running a bit to warm up battery and defrost windows etc, goes to garage, fills up, maybe make sure the tyres inflated, check oil and antifreeze etc, realises it's about 8 and she'll be back soon so hangs about for a final goodbye or bite to eat.....he may even have bumped into her as he was filling up and decided to leave later when the road might be a bit clearer....

Cops bought in a Criminal Profiler now......

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK...er_To_Help_Find_Killer_Of_Landscape_Architect

To add to my above theory...makes even more sense as to why Joanna didn't appear to want to 'see GR off'...I would have wanted to say goodbye to my boyfriend if he was going away for the weekend. I wondered before if she was wandering around numerous shops as a delaying tactic because she wasn't quite ready to go home...

JMO

Put it this way.... I dont believe it to be the 'fairytale' relationship that has been portrayed..... to my mind, there is something abnormal about someone not at least texting to see if you arrived safely after a 3 hour journey in conditions whereby people were being advised not to travel unless absolutely necessary.

If it is him, I think the police will face further criticism.

From Luna15's Sky link above:

The psychologist, who has helped in several high-profile investigations, is advising detectives on the likely profile of the killer.

It is understood he has only recently joined the squad hunting the murderer of 25-year-old Ms Yeates, whose body was found dumped outside Bristol on Christmas Day.

He will study the evidence gathered so far and advise police on the likely background, mentality and motive of her killer.

The involvement of a profiler is intended to narrow down the number of potential suspects, but some detectives are dubious about their contributions.

The expert has joined the investigation after senior officers asked for help from the National Policing Improvement Agency, a centre of excellence which provides experts for forces with difficult cases.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK...er_To_Help_Find_Killer_Of_Landscape_Architect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen