GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, now I see the reason for the 'stairs' discussion. However I definitely think that the apartment has no stairs. This is why:

Look at this pic: http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images...93788536274/The-Bristol-flat-of-Joann-007.jpg

The lawned garden is raised compared to the floor level of the apartment with a path leading in front of the basement windows.

To walk to JY's front door from the road you would walk down a slight slope http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/jan2011/9/7/jo-yeates-image-2-697085012.jpg
To me this looks as though upon conversion to an apartment, the ground has been dug down into, and the door has been dropped down in level to do away with the need for stairs - I can see an additional set of blocks at the bottom of the sandstone surround to the door, and the door has been dropped down a level so we now have a glass panel to fill the gap at the top. Check out the level of the bricks on the house wall at the ground level. Clearly the path is sloping.

quite different to the left side of the house where the ground remains flat to the main entrance then falls away into a steeper slope. jmo. Steepish slope is beyond the car in this image.
http://22.mm.g-media.com/666039.jpg

This is seen clearer in some pics than others. If you look at some pics of the height of the wall separating no.42 from no.44 you will see that it is high.

In other pics nearer the road it is not so high,indicating a slope. jmo. (Slopes do not always look like slopes on googlemaps or when using telephoto lenses) http://paimages.s3.amazonaws.com/categories/news/480x385/9984403.jpg

The apartment looks level to me - with a raised lawn - it's the path that slopes gradually from lawn level at the road gate to the door of the apartment.
in my opinion, the apartment has no stairs inside.

Edited to add: Apologies for those who have posted about the very same thing just now. I was preparing my post and missed the fact that many of you feel the same - no stairs.

I see what you're saying. It looks like the front of the building could have 3 feet more below ground than the back of the building. My guess then would be that there is maybe a small step inside the flat ... to give a little more head height. Does that make sense?

I agree about the slope - we're on the same page there! Without visiting the property and seeing all the plans - orginal and conversion, it's hard to the know exact details for sure.

It looks to me that there is still a shed in the back and that it would not be possible to go to the back of the building from the entrance to the flat.

I think it is. The shed is further back, beyond the corner of the building, although it's not easy to see.

TBH i dont know if the buttons are meant for fastening, but i do notice some women fold them over or have them pulled right up.

Also i would like to ask whether she was wearing tight jeans or tight/stockings ?? Therefore it may be possible she wasnt wearing these thick socks in her boots, meaning she must of changed into them ??

Photos are too indistinct for me to say. Will have to leave it to the experts. To me, could be very tight jeans (uncomfortable to sit in ?) or possibly 'stirrup' type leggins ? But as the shirt she's wearing beneath the jacket appears to be of the 'polo' type, it would probably not cover the backside. Would leggins/tights with polo top be considered appropriate for work ?

He would have been in Bristol then. They met in Bristol and had been together for two years. I don't know where they lived before Canynge Road though, neither of their names came up for me on the ER search. They may have opted to go on the edited ER, in which case their names wouldn't be in the public domain.
According to the press, they met at Winchester college...worked together and relocated to Bristol (think 2008) but press could be wrong. J/S was also at Winchester C.

Sorry, for J/S...read R/S (morphing C/J & R/S!!!!really tiring this!)

Without wishing to impose upon the privacy of the residents of the flats, have details of the flats' tenants been posted in this forum, say via rough description ? We refer to CJ for example and an eldery tenant has been mentioned by name, possibly by the media. But I don't remember having read details of all the tenants. So while Malaconotus has understandably eliminated a European couple, is much known about other tenants ?

While it may seem irrelevant to some, imo nearby residents and particularly tentants within 42 and 44, are as likely as potential suspects (from the online sleuther's viewpoint) as is, for example, GR

No, I quite agree. I'm not sure what has been posted on earlier threads, and I don't know what else Malaconotus has worked out, whether it's the same as me.

Apart from the 2 basement flats, I think there is an older lady in the large hall floor flat; above this flat is CJ to the left, and another lady to the right. The two top flats are occupied by former masters at Clifton College (both single gents as far as I know). Not sure if this is totally accurate & up to date, mind.

Thank you ... that was funny ... I clicked on the link and they all started talking at the same time. It looks to me that there is still a shed in the back and that it would not be possible to go to the back of the building from the entrance to the flat.
Yes, does look as though it goes right across the path...but isn't it odd that they cannot access the rear garden? or is the front garden with their flat and the rear with another?

Welcome, Aneurin. It seems that you have a considerable advantage over the rest of us in the shape of personal knowledge. Would you venture to express your own provisional opinion of the most likely time for the body to have been dumped ?

Applying the line of reasoning that the simplest answer is most often the right answer, then I would say that Miss Yeates was killed sometime on the evening of the 17th December and her body dumped shortly thereafter. That certainly seems to be the working hypothesis adopted by the local police. But then again, like any working hypothesis, it would be subject to revision in the light of any new evidence. After all beyond 8.40 pm ish on the Friday, the police have no secure timeline. They appear to believe that she did make it home, and may have good reason for so doing, but I don't think it's neccessarily a certainty. It also appears that they have no clear TOD. I would imagine that the usual forensic tests, liver temp and so on, are all somewhat comprised by the passage of time and the weather conditions, and the best that they can say is that she had been dead for several days before Xmas day. I therefore wouldn't exclude the possibility that she was killed sometime later than the Friday, and/or dumped sometime afterwards, simply because it's not possible to prove otherwise. But I would say that it appears to be an opportunistic rather than a planned crime, so that I would be sceptical about any hypothesis that was based on a convoluted explanation involving conveniently empty chest freezers of a certain capacity for example.

Just my opinion you understand.

According to the press, they met at Winchester college...worked together and relocated to Bristol (think 2008) but press could be wrong. J/S was also at Winchester C.

It's wrong. See my post 638. That version makes much more sense.

Yes, does look as though it goes right across the path...but isn't it odd that they cannot access the rear garden? or is the front garden with their flat and the rear with another?

The rental listing, which has since been removed, included " a SMALL PATIO in front of the living room". I think that means ... that's the yard space that comes with the flat.

"1 bedroom ground floor flat to rent Clifton, 44 Canynge Rd BS8 3LQ
£725 pcm
Lovely 1 BEDROOM FLAT on one of the most DESIRABLE ROADS in CLIFTON. Situated on the ground floor of this MAGNIFICENT HOUSE this flat benefits from its OWN ENTRANCE and a SMALL PATIO in front of the living room. The living room is light and airy and has a separate dining area. The kitchen and bat..." (linked earlier in this thread)

I think it is. The shed is further back, beyond the corner of the building, although it's not easy to see.

Correct. The foreshortening effect of the telephoto makes this unclear, but the shed is beyond the end of the building. You can definitely walk all the way around.

The rental listing, which has since been removed, included " a SMALL PATIO in front of the living room". I think that means ... that's the yard space that comes with the flat.

"1 bedroom ground floor flat to rent Clifton, 44 Canynge Rd BS8 3LQ
£725 pcm
Lovely 1 BEDROOM FLAT on one of the most DESIRABLE ROADS in CLIFTON. Situated on the ground floor of this MAGNIFICENT HOUSE this flat benefits from its OWN ENTRANCE and a SMALL PATIO in front of the living room. The living room is light and airy and has a separate dining area. The kitchen and bat..." (linked earlier in this thread)

Do we know which of the two basement flats this relates to?

Me too, same result - could be the police have asked that any electronic versions be taken down for now.

I was wondering that too. Other applications for interior work have drawings associated with them. The only information I could find related to tree work.

Bing bird's eye maps have four views, none of which provide a clear view of the rear of the building.

Thank you ... that was funny ... I clicked on the link and they all started talking at the same time. It looks to me that there is still a shed in the back and that it would not be possible to go to the back of the building from the entrance to the flat.
Just had another look at the film clip...think the shed is further away than it looks and that you would be able to walk around the back to access the garden and the shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member