GUILTY OR - Jeanette Maples, 15, dies of abuse, torture in Eugene, 9 Dec 2009

Her half siblings witnessed her torture and maiming? Good God.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...46/jeanette-abuse-report-state-department.csp

Death prompts changes

A state report says Human Services will pay closer attention to abuse reports involving older children

"The state Department of Human Services will pay greater attention to child abuse reports involving older children and isolated youths in the wake of the death of a Eugene teenager allegedly murdered by her mother and stepfather in December.

State officials released a report Monday outlining a series of changes to policies and practices that will be implemented as a direct result of Jeanette Maples’ death.

“This is a very unusual case, and a painfully egregious case for us, because we had had contact with this family in the past,” said Lois Day, who administers the human service agency’s Office of Safety and Permanency for Children.

Agency officials previously acknowledged that state workers improperly disregarded reports in 2007 and 2009 that Jeanette was being abused in her home. Furthermore, workers did not adequately investigate a similar report from 2006, officials said.

The department’s admittedly lackluster response to those reports came under scrutiny after Jeanette’s death on Dec. 9. The 15-year-old allegedly suffered fatal abuse at the hands of her mother and stepfather, both of whom face aggravated murder charges in the case...."

more at link

Why did it take a death of a child to make this change?

That judge sure doesn't want the press, the family, or the public to see the facts about how Jeanette died. I keep wondering if we're going to learn that this child suffered any systematic "discipline" such as what killed little Lydia Schatz? This is the case that I referred to in a post yesterday concerning the "scapegoating" of children. Regarding the last quote, is anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...6/mcanulty-bearden-jeanette-richard-court.csp

Warrant in teen’s death likely to stay sealed

"A media request to unseal a search warrant affidavit containing details of the Jeanette Marie Maples murder case is likely to be denied, a Lane County Circuit Court Judge said Friday.

The court’s presiding judge, Mary Ann Bearden, said she intended to deny the request from The Oregonian newspaper after hearing opposition from the prosecutor and from the teen’s alleged killers, her mother and stepfather.

Angela Darlene McAnulty, 41, and Richard McAnulty Sr., 42, face aggravated murder charges in what court documents called the “intentional maiming and torture" death of Jeanette on Dec. 9. The girl’s mother also was charged with tampering with physical evidence in the case. The couple could face the death penalty if convicted......"

and

".....There’s sensitive information from young sources in that affidavit,” he said in an apparent reference to two younger half-siblings who lived with Jeanette in the home. Those children, a 5-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl, are now living in a foster home as wards of Lane County Juvenile Court...."

and

"....“There’s also information in that search warrant of a highly private nature with regard to Jeanette Maples

more at link

IMO, he's protecting the state. I think the evidence would show that whatever had been happening to her would have been obvious to any sane person at the time of the hotline call.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...46/jeanette-mcanulty-death-richard-murder.csp

Stepdad won’t face death penalty

Capital punishment remains an option for the mother of Jeanette Maples, who died of abuse last year

"Prosecutors will not seek the death penalty for a Eugene man charged with murder in the death of his stepdaughter last December from alleged abuse that included starvation and “intentional maiming and torture.”

But capital punishment is “still on the table” for the mother of 15-year-old Jeanette Maples, Lane County Deputy District Attorney Erik Hasselman said Friday.

A Feb. 1 trial date has been set for Angela Darlene McAnulty, 42, who faces charges of aggravated murder and evidence tampering in connection with Jeanette’s death....."

and

"....Jeanette’s stepfather, 41-year-old Richard Anthony McAnulty, is also charged with aggravated murder in the case. He, too, has pleaded not guilty. His trial is scheduled for Nov. 2...."

and

"Grand jury indictments of Angela and Richard McAnulty allege that the teen’s death was caused by “neglect and maltreatment” and occurred “in the course of, or as a result of, intentional maiming and torture.....”

more at link

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...1520-46/mcanulty-case-defense-trial-death.csp

Mother’s trial to begin Feb. 1

Angela McAnulty could face the death penalty if convicted in the death of her 15-year-old daughter

"The death penalty murder trial of Angela Darlene Mc Anulty will begin as scheduled Feb. 1, a judge decided Thursday after a brief hearing on a defense motion to postpone the case.

The 42-year-old north Eugene woman is accused of fatally starving, maiming and torturing her 15-year-old daughter, Jeanette Maples, who reportedly weighed only 50 pounds when she died in December 2009.

Jeanette’s stepfather also faces aggravated murder charges in her death. Prosecutors have said they will not seek the death penalty for Richard Anthony McAnulty because the facts don’t justify it in his case. The couple are being tried separately. Richard McAnulty’s case is scheduled for trial May 3...."

and

"....[Defense Attorney, Ken] Hadley also cited the defense team’s trouble working with Angela McAnulty “because of her crying and her moods.” A defense psychiatrist prescribed medication that improved her condition, Hadley said, but the doctor still needs “considerable time” to probe McAnulty’s mental state over the past few years.

The psychiatrist has warned that doing so would most likely cause “a serious mental decline” that could make McAnulty psychotic and unable to assist in her defense..."

more at link

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...1520-46/mcanulty-case-defense-trial-death.csp

Mother’s trial to begin Feb. 1

Angela McAnulty could face the death penalty if convicted in the death of her 15-year-old daughter

"The death penalty murder trial of Angela Darlene Mc Anulty will begin as scheduled Feb. 1, a judge decided Thursday after a brief hearing on a defense motion to postpone the case.

The 42-year-old north Eugene woman is accused of fatally starving, maiming and torturing her 15-year-old daughter, Jeanette Maples, who reportedly weighed only 50 pounds when she died in December 2009.

Jeanette’s stepfather also faces aggravated murder charges in her death. Prosecutors have said they will not seek the death penalty for Richard Anthony McAnulty because the facts don’t justify it in his case. The couple are being tried separately. Richard McAnulty’s case is scheduled for trial May 3...."

and

"....[Defense Attorney, Ken] Hadley also cited the defense team’s trouble working with Angela McAnulty “because of her crying and her moods.” A defense psychiatrist prescribed medication that improved her condition, Hadley said, but the doctor still needs “considerable time” to probe McAnulty’s mental state over the past few years.

The psychiatrist has warned that doing so would most likely cause “a serious mental decline” that could make McAnulty psychotic and unable to assist in her defense..."

more at link

What kind of legitimate mental defect could cause you to starve, maim and torture your flesh and blood? Let's hear it-I am all ears. She should be medicated sufficiently to fully realize what she has done. I am having a hard time mustering sympathy for her crying jags and mood swings, tbh. At least there are people who are choosing to HEAR HER CRIES and respond to them.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...eath_of_15-year-old_daughter_jeanette_ma.html

Eugene woman pleads guilty to aggravated murder in torture death of 15-year-old daughter Jeanette Maples

"An Oregon woman has pleaded guilty to aggravated murder in the torture death of her 15-year-old daughter in late 2009.

The Register-Guard reports that 42-year-old Angela McAnulty of Eugene began her trial today by pleading guilty to causing the death of Jeanette Marie Maples by neglect and maltreatment as a result of intentional maiming and torture.

McAnulty also pleaded guilty to destroying or altering physical evidence in the case. A Lane County jury will now decide whether she should face the death penalty...."

more at link

Here's the Register Guard article with a few more details:

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...1-41/mcanulty-guilty-death-murder-penalty.csp

In the next phase of the trial, will the COD and the autopsy results be made public? I really believe the people of Oregon need to be aware of just what this couple did to this child and how it all slipped under the radar. I find it very odd that, as closely as I've watched this case, the guilty plea got very little press. I almost missed it entirely.

A photo of the mother in court:

http://www.kval.com/news/local/115038474.html

I hope they follow through with the DP...this is absolutely s disgraceful act committed by the person this child should have been able to depend on for love and protection. Let's start sending some messages: You hurt children and you will pay...

Believe--Can I thank you ten times over for your statement,"We are GATEKEEPERS, we do not own them." It's so so true. And I have to beg families, make that 911 call before the child suffers irreversible harm. Then, it's too late for anyone. Your statement reminded me of the poetry I read at my granddaughter's funeral (she died 8 hours after her full term birth) two years ago. I find it very helpful, as a parent, to reread it frequently. Kind of puts us in our place.

"On Children"
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

LOVE Kahlil Gibran and this meditation!

One of the troubles I'm having with this horrific case is asking if the victim's age played a part in the poor response from CPS, but this is a copout! Jeanette was just 15 years old and reports started coming in 4 years prior to her death! If a 15 year old can be overlooked, surely an 11 year old cannot be!

RIP precious child - you are loved by so many people who tried to help you.

Found in the bathtub, timid isolated child, COD sealed, COD reportedly caused discomfort to investigators. Starving and torture of the child. Any chance she was pregnant and mother/stepfather tried to cause abortion? First starving her to try to cause a spontaneous abortion, then a physical abortion? Though I can't understand why stepfather wasn't charged with sex abuse charges if that was the case.

There is reference to the warrant being sealed because it contains info from minors and info of a highly private nature???? Since when has that been grounds for sealing a warrant in a murder case?

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...46/jeanette-abuse-report-state-department.csp

Death prompts changes

A state report says Human Services will pay closer attention to abuse reports involving older children

"The state Department of Human Services will pay greater attention to child abuse reports involving older children and isolated youths in the wake of the death of a Eugene teenager allegedly murdered by her mother and stepfather in December.

State officials released a report Monday outlining a series of changes to policies and practices that will be implemented as a direct result of Jeanette Maples’ death.

“This is a very unusual case, and a painfully egregious case for us, because we had had contact with this family in the past,” said Lois Day, who administers the human service agency’s Office of Safety and Permanency for Children.

Agency officials previously acknowledged that state workers improperly disregarded reports in 2007 and 2009 that Jeanette was being abused in her home. Furthermore, workers did not adequately investigate a similar report from 2006, officials said.

The department’s admittedly lackluster response to those reports came under scrutiny after Jeanette’s death on Dec. 9. The 15-year-old allegedly suffered fatal abuse at the hands of her mother and stepfather, both of whom face aggravated murder charges in the case...."

more at link

Why did it take a death of a child to make this change?

This is a very difficult situation in CPS. In order to remove a child due to abuse, they have to take it to court. If in court they say a child has been abused, but the child says no I fell, it is very difficult to get the court to believe the abuse occurred unless there is independent witnesses. And it isn't likely the other children are going to testify for the abused child. They saw what happened to her, and they may fear that if they testify they will be returned home and be retaliated against. IOW they may become abused just like the other child did.

We also can't forget that Jeanette's little body was so abused her own grandmother was counseled not to view it. The word "maim" has been used and I believe we talked about a possible home abortion somewhere upthread. The child must have been either profusely bleeding to be in the tub or she was being abused with hot or cold water. If she had been pregnant and McNulty disposed of the fetus, that could have merited the charges of destroying evidence. Without the fetus, there would be no way to determine who impregnated her, would there be? And being that the step-father seems to have rolled on his wife to escape more serious charges, I would think that any abuse by him would have been revealed. If I remember correctly, the family did attend church. Other than that, she seemed to be very sheltered and isolated. She was being home-schooled at the time of her death. I wonder if the other children in the home were also home schooled.

LCoastMom--Let me address you concern about age and DHS policy. I share that concern but maybe I can give you a bit of background. In the early 90s Oregon made a decision to triage all cases and to concentrate on the youngest children. The age cut off was 15. As if a 15 year old is not a child. As if sweet little Jeanette wasn't a child?

I've made a number of calls concerning teens in trouble and whom I believe to be neglected or abused but I've never ever had a single case followed up on. If I call about a younger child, immediate action. My daughter by marriage was a high school teacher for several years and even being a mandated reporter did not cause DHS to budge. A child had to be in imminent harm for a response. She used to tell me that administrators instructed the teachers to "call it in even though DHS won't do anything". I honestly don't understand how harm is defined as one call my daughter made was concerning a gay high school student who was being repeatedly beaten by his father--specifically for being gay. I have worked alongside this system for almost 20 years and I still don't pretend to understand it.

I firmly believe that Oregon owes the children and parents and citizens of this state, the full story on the death of this child. Without the facts, how can we go about instituting change.

Bless you, dear Jeanette. Fly high and free.

Missizzy I understand the triage system - but she was 11 when reports first came into the system!! 4 years of people making the right choice and calling for this child!

I'm up in the air over sexual abuse, (at least as far as a pregnancy is concerned) a girl who is being starved, starving herself or is severely underweight will stop ovulating. I think if Jeanette had been pregnant/aborted the state would be going after the DP for both parents. They're not because they are holding the mother as the most responsible, even with her guilty plea.

She supposedly told her MIL 'I whooped her and got carried away' - I feel she was in the tub because her egg donor panicked and tried to revive her. First responders must cringe when they hear the victim is in the bath - I know every time I hear it, I immediately think abuse!

Maimed - that word is terrifying in this context and the investigators being traumatized doesn't bode well. I agree, the investigation/COD should be revealed and CPS needs to be held accountable, I sincerely doubt if scapegoating one caseworker will suffice. We're talking 4 years of caseworkers failing this child!

Thank you for following up on Jeanette's abusers. It just keeps on getting uglier.

LeftCoastMom--You know that you and I are totally on the same page. I have NO earthly clue why the reports at age 11 were ignored.....especially when the state knew (and has since admitted that they knew) that this was an at-risk child. Possibly they questioned Jeanette and she denied everything. Remember that story she wrote about how her mom was her hero and she wanted to grow up and be just like her? She was a quiet and compliant child. Those children, sadly, don't always get the attention. If she'd been lighting the house on fire or abusing other children, then DHS might have paid attention. It always breaks my heart to watch a broken child continue to love their abusive parent. When they admit the truth, it tips their world upside down.

I can't get the word "maim" out of my mind either. It's different than torture or abuse. It means to disfigure or to mutilate. What in God's name did McNulty do to that little girl?

If a coat hanger for instance was used to attempt an abortion, if damage was caused to the cervix or even the outer gentalia in the process, that could be called "maimed"

Likely she would have struggled against what they were doing, and physical force might have been used. That could be why the GM was counseled against seeing her.

This story is heartbreaking enough, but it kills me when the neighbor says that Jeanette was quiet and she would see her on the side of her house holding her dog. That dog probably was the only friend she had once she was removed from school. Small consolation, but I'm glad she had that dog.

I really wish someone had been able to intervene before it was too late. I hope the b*tch that gave birth to her and the step-father get the death penalty (or sometimes I think life without parole is better...no appeals and hopefully they're tortured/harassed by the other inmates every day of their sorry lives).

I'm glad she had that dog too, though it breaks my heart to think of that as her only comfort at home. Poor sweet girl! I truly have no words to express how much this story hurts. How can people be so cruel to their own defenseless child? Most abused children still love their abuser parent too. That little girl loved them, and this is what she got in return.

God bless you Jeanette, there is no more pain now. Only love. XO.

The only update I've found on Jeanette Maples' death:

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...5996-46/mcanulty-death-angela-county-lane.csp

"The attorneys entered “not guilty” pleas for both Angela Darlene McAnulty, 41, and Richard Anthony McAnulty Sr., 42. Both were charged with aggravated murder of the 15-year-old River Road area girl. The Lane County District Attorney’s Office has not yet decided if it will seek the death penalty against one or both of the McAnultys.

In separate indictments returned late Tuesday by a Lane County grand jury, both McAnultys were accused of recklessly causing Jeanette’s death by neglect and maltreatment and “as a result of intentional maiming and torture.”

"Details of her injuries have not been released. Hasselman said Wednesday that he did not expect that information to become public until pretrial hearings in the cases."

I have rarely heard of a case that warranted the death penalty less than this one does. Seriously, they do not deserve to live after what they have done, or let happen depending on who claims to be the abuser and who simply didn't say anything. SICK!!!

Department of Human Services is a joke they just dont give a dam$.Sorry but I have been dealing with them.They feel children belong with the moms no matter what.Right now my grandson 4 and 7 his sister are living with their so called mom who has let her bf of 6 months hit them with a belt,he tied the 7yr old to a chair with a re has taken pics of them naked and the kids have said much more.DYFS was called many times even the police about the naked pics.The kids went to pros sex crimes office to talk to detectives.They were at my house and were afraid to leave to go anywhere neither one wanted to go back with the mom.She was living with bf till DYFS told her she couldnt.Oh but they are letting her and the kids live with his cousin who lives 10 minutes away, and she thinks he is Mr.Wonderful.The 7 yr old even told school principle about abuse and she reported it.We told the kids just tell the truth and DYFS will help they will keep you safe.The so called mom is now pregnant by this abuser and is thrilled she calls all the abuse unfounded but she was there and let it happen.My advice to others if a child is being abused sell your home and run with the child if at all possible.That is the only way to keep them safe because the system doesnt give a crap about the kids.I have been reading for years about children dying like this and I always thought it was because families didnt care ,BOY was I wrong it is the system.Those of you who the system has helped you really do not know how lucky you and the child are.

I'd take my child and run, no question, immediately, and far. I'm SO SO SO sorry for what your Grands are going through. I pray they are set free from this right away.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back