Southeast States - AL, AR, LA, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN - Weather Discussion

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – A tornado fueled by an unusually warm winter air sliced through parts of northwestern Arkansas early on New Year's Eve, killing at least three people, injuring several others and knocking out power to thousands of homes and businesses.

Three people died in Cincinnati, a hamlet of about 100 residents about three miles from the Oklahoma border. Washington County sheriff's dispatcher Josh Howerton said the storm touched down near the center of the community. He said "lots of injuries" were reported, and officials in nearby Benton County said the storm injured two people and damaged five homes there.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_severe_weather_ark

Prayers for everybody affected, in Jesus' Name, amen.

I slept right through this whole storm. Sure was surprised when I woke up around 9 am to the news of the deadly storm in Cincinnati. Last time I heard that small town mentioned was when Pauline Devor went missing.
(Missing 2007, found 2009. Her daughter has pled guilty to first degree murder. Husband has been arrested as accomplice.)

We had tornado watches here in NE OK, thunder, lightning, pouring rain, all a bit odd at the last of December.

Tornado on Arkansas-Oklahoma border kills three

CINCINNATI, Ark. - Three people are confirmed dead and a rural fire department was destroyed after a tornado ripped through an Arkansas border town, officials confirmed Friday.

Gerald Dean Wilson, 88, and Mamie Wilson, 78, were found dead inside their destroyed home at 12618 Highway 59 North, according to the sheriff’s department in Washington County, Ark.

James Richard “Dick” Murray, 78, was found dead inside a nearby dairy barn. Murray had been milking cows when the tornado hit, officials said.

Cincinnati is a community of about 100 people located near the Oklahoma state line, about 37 miles east of Tahlequah [OK].
---
Reports from Bentonville, Ark. [home of WalMart], were that debris and street signs were found there from Cincinnati, which is about 30 miles southwest of Bentonville, [NWS meteorologist Chuck Hodges] said.
---

more at
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20101231_12_0_CINCIN511954

Same storm system:

Sheriff: Storm kills 2nd in Mo.; death toll at 5

Kansas City, Mo. – Authorities say a second resident of a southeast Missouri mobile home destroyed by a powerful storm system that spawned tornadoes has died.

Dent County Sheriff Rick Stallings says the second woman killed during the Friday storm was related to the first. He says their home was one of three mobile homes and a barn that were leveled by the storm.

One of the women died at the scene and the second died later at a hospital.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101231/ap_on_re_us/us_tornadoes

It is freakishly warm. IL has had tornado warning after tornado warning so far today. Ths far no tornados where I live but man the counties around me have been lighting up with warnings all day.

Prayers for those who have lost homes and those who've lost family members.

It is freakishly warm. IL has had tornado warning after tornado warning so far today. Ths far no tornados where I live but man the counties around me have been lighting up with warnings all day.

Prayers for those who have lost homes and those who've lost family members.

Yes, it was in the mid-70s here yesterday in advance of this storm system.

slightly off topic but 2010 has been quite an unusual year it seems to me with weather and natural disasters.

I think 2011 will bring more of the same.

slightly off topic but 2010 has been quite an unusual year it seems to me with weather and natural disasters.

I think 2011 will bring more of the same.

Here in Indiana we've had more tornadic activity in 2010 than I have seen in YEARS. I've been in the basement several times this year, which is unusual.

Just learned tornado hit a town a little ways up the road, Lake Petersburg. Thankful their was no reported loss of life or major injury but some property damage. Very odd weather indeed the last few years. Or maybe I am just older and less self involved? Hmm, hadn't thought of that, maybe I am just noticing it more?

I'm in NM and felt/saw Spring blowing in early this past week-end.

Must be nice! I'd almost rather have this than another 8" of snow combined with ice, which is what this system is going to provide for us where I live. Thousands of people still have not gotten their power back after this week's first ice storm. Truly insane.

Those of you in Florida, please stay up to date with the weather reports. There are reports of tornadoes touching down, and please if your in the area.. take cover!

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2340

A powerful tornado ripped through Adairsville, Georgia, northwest of Atlanta, at 11:19 am EST this morning, killing at least one person in a mobile home park. The tornado caused major structural damage in the downtown district, and overturned approximately 100 cars on I-75 near Exit 306 (see eyewitness video here, with swear words.) Eight injuries, some serious, are also being reported from a tornado just southeast of Calhoun, GA around 11:30am EST. NOAA's Storm Prediction Center has placed most of the Southeast in their "Slight Risk" region for severe weather for Wednesday, a step down from the "Moderate Risk" potential issued on Tuesday for the Midwest. Three other tornadoes have hit Georgia today, and there were 79 reports of wind damage due to high winds as of 2 pm EST along the cold front that triggered today's severe weather, from Alabama to Pennsylvania. Tornado watches continue for a wide swath of the Southeast this afternoon, from Alabama to North Carolina.

Much more at link if you scroll down...video and picture of the tornado and damage, and reports....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back