Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr Gupta is on CNN. He said his individual meter has quadrupled over the past 36 hours.

He gave his reading as .004 millisieverts - which isn't high or dangerous to health - but it still shows that the levels are going up. I really wish him and Anderson would get outta there.

Dr Gupta is on CNN. He said his individual meter has quadrupled over the past 36 hours.

He gave his reading as .004 millisieverts - which isn't high or dangerous to health - but it still shows that the levels are going up. I really wish him and Anderson would get outta there.

OT-- He had a bit of an excited stutter, didn't he?

eta: I sent DS to work with a small bottle of iodine.

I was just talking with a scientist friend of mine on a different board; she lives and works close to a nuclear power plant, so she decided to check in to potassium iodide tablets.

She found it for sale as high as $350.00 for a pack that normally sells for $10.00. She can't find it for sale online anywhere, and many places are giving a two week to one month backorder on it.

Crazy isn't it. And shame on those who are jacking the prices. I guess we can expect to see them on e-bay for 500.00 a box.

Anyone who makes money off a crisis ...well, I have words, but I don't want a TO.

Mel

yes! and why was he on the phone? Did they send all the camera men home? CNN is still saying that Anderson will be live from Tokoyo tonight.

One of the most important and misunderstood aspects of radiation is that the effects are cumulative. That means that when thinking about health effects, the time of exposure is just as important as the dose. For example, the average person receives about 1-2 mSv per year without any bad effects, but if they received a does of 1-2 mSv/minute they would become sick in less than a day.

The peak doses recorded at Fukushima Daiichi have been around 400 mSv per hour, enough to induce radiation sickness in about two hours' time. (Radiation levels at the site have since fallen, but continue to fluctuate).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/16/japan-nuclear-crisis-tsunami-aftermath-live

I've been putting extra, EXTRA salt on my popcorn. lol Okay, on everything...

Anderson Cooper on CNN now. On Camera.

Crazy isn't it. And shame on those who are jacking the prices. I guess we can expect to see them on e-bay for 500.00 a box.

Anyone who makes money off a crisis ...well, I have words, but I don't want a TO.

Mel

Last night on the local news (I'm in WA) they were explaining that most stores out here are sold out and some were selling them on e-bay for 1600.00!!!! They had a nuclear medicine doctor saying everyone in USA prolly gets enough iodized salt in our diets to protect 4 or 5 thyroids, let alone our own. LOL I dunno. I'm worried about the long-term effects of cesium myself. :(

One of the most important and misunderstood aspects of radiation is that the effects are cumulative. That means that when thinking about health effects, the time of exposure is just as important as the dose. For example, the average person receives about 1-2 mSv per year without any bad effects, but if they received a does of 1-2 mSv/minute they would become sick in less than a day.

The peak doses recorded at Fukushima Daiichi have been around 400 mSv per hour, enough to induce radiation sickness in about two hours' time. (Radiation levels at the site have since fallen, but continue to fluctuate).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/16/japan-nuclear-crisis-tsunami-aftermath-live

The 400 mSv and "since fallen" sounds like yesterday's data. I get the feeling it's not falling now. jmo

2231: John Luke from Nerimaku, Tokyo writes: "Remember, many people are wearing masks now because it's 'hay-fever season' NOT because they are worried about radiation. Your report gives the impression people are wearing masks because of fear. Please correct this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

ummmm........OK, hay fever.

I've been putting extra, EXTRA salt on my popcorn. lol Okay, on everything...

Too much salt can also be bad for you, but you've got the right idea. For 2 weeks prior to my daughter getting her radiation pill for cancer, she isn't allowed to have ANY salt 'cause salt interferes with the absorption of the radiation.

Remember though, too much salt can cause you other problems.

That's it! That's all I needed to hear. Now, friends, THIS IS IMPORTANT. Please print this out and read it. It tells you how to safeguard your home, what supplies to have on hand, etc., in a case like this.

Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

http://www.fema.gov/pdf/areyouready/technohazards.pdf

2231: John Luke from Nerimaku, Tokyo writes: "Remember, many people are wearing masks now because it's 'hay-fever season' NOT because they are worried about radiation. Your report gives the impression people are wearing masks because of fear. Please correct this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

ummmm........OK, hay fever.
Well, in all honesty - the Japanese have been wearing masks for quite some time now. It seems they have a real fear of "germs" in general. I guess that comes from so many people in such a little space.

But really, what good is a mouth/nose mask gonna do if radiation levels are high anyway? That stuff gets EVERYWHERE. Just because you don't breathe it in - doesn't mean that it isn't getting in through your ears, your eyes, on your clothes - I haven't noticed - are they wearing gloves too? Man I would be - your hands touch so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrskrash2012