GUILTY VA - Lenny Harris, 53, robbed & murdered, Alexandria, 21 Sept 2011

Very upsetting. Nothing in the local news? Any word from his wife?

His car has been located (this morning)... They don't say where but just said it was unoccupied. Hopefully they will be able to get prints and/or other types of evidence.

Police locate missing Alexandria activist's vehicle in P.G.

....Alexandria police said Lenwood "Lenny" Harris' 1994 Toyota Corolla was found in Prince George's County at about 5 a.m. Tuesday.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs...alexandria-activists-vehicle-pg#ixzz1aUt872tQ

His car has been located (this morning)... They don't say where but just said it was unoccupied. Hopefully they will be able to get prints and/or other types of evidence.

:( Oh No!!! I'm still not finding any additional info released online. They're keeping this very close for some reason...known by LE...IMO.

Doesn't sound good, but hopefully this will lead to much needed publicity and / or progress.

belimom,

not being local how far is Prince George's County from where Lenny went missing. (OT- but I seem to see a lot of news coming out of PGC when I am researching, not sure what is up with that area but it doesn't good.)

Still praying for and thinking about Lenny everyday. Praying he is found safe and for answers to his disappearance.

belimom,

not being local how far is Prince George's County from where Lenny went missing. (OT- but I seem to see a lot of news coming out of PGC when I am researching, not sure what is up with that area but it doesn't good.)

Still praying for and thinking about Lenny everyday. Praying he is found safe and for answers to his disappearance.

Cubby, it's just across the Potomac River from Alexandria. If you check one of my maps above, you'll see Woodrow Wilson Bridge going from VA to MD. It goes from Alexandria to Prince George's County. Very close... And, yes, it does have a pretty high crime rate.

ETA: I decided to bring one over for you:

attachment.php

*So* wish they'd tell us WHERE in PG county the car was found. But Just like with the ATM, they aren't saying. :banghead:

Poor Lenny. I'm really starting to think he was victim to a random robbery. People with his debit/credit cards, car abandoned, etc. If this were a more 'political' type of thing related to his activism, you'd think there would be more of a "message" - his body left somewhere obvious, etc.

Sad either way, of course. Wishing peace for his wife and family, and answers soon. :(

I'm proposing a hypothetical timeline for how I think this happened:

- Lenny leaves Charles Houston Rec Cntr
- car drives over WW Bridge to PG County (is he still driving at that point or not? to meet someone in PG County? or did the 'bad thing' already happen? :()
- (something bad happens)
- car is abandoned in PG County; both perps get into the minivan
- attempted ATM use in PG county at drive-thru
- attempted ATM use in Old Town Alexandria on King St*

*my thinking is that the ATM didn't work at the drive-thru in PG County, so they returned to Alexandria to try it at Lenny's bank. The reason I think this is that the ATM in Alexandria that they tried 2nd is at a branch of the bank that is handling the reward. I could be wrong - JMHO.

*So* wish they'd tell us WHERE in PG county the car was found. But Just like with the ATM, they aren't saying. :banghead:

Poor Lenny. I'm really starting to think he was victim to a random robbery. People with his debit/credit cards, car abandoned, etc. If this were a more 'political' type of thing related to his activism, you'd think there would be more of a "message" - his body left somewhere obvious, etc.

Sad either way, of course. Wishing peace for his wife and family, and answers soon. :(

I was thinking at one point that maybe it was random, but I don't think so anymore. The reason is that he said he was going to meet someone when he left Charles Houston Rec Ctr.

If that's true, then one of three things happened:

1) the person he met with was a set-up
2) he met with the person then something happened afterwards
3) he never made it

Now #2 or #3 could have happened and the person has contacted LE about it. But LE keeps saying that no one has seen him since he left the rec ctr. That makes me believe that whoever he met with is somehow involved.

ETA: I think the most likely scenario (and I haven't heard this or read this - it's just my own thinking) is that Lenny was targeted b/c he knew too much. It seems that he was very involved in the local community, was a mentor, tried to get kids off the street, etc. If he had close relationships with these people, then someone may have told him something that he shouldn't have been told. Either that or he was perhaps telling LE some of the things he learned from folks on the street. Again, I'm just speculating.

I've never been quite clear, did the ATM use ever succeed? In other words, did the perps have his PIN?

Good points, belimom. And no one has ever stepped forward to say he/she was the person who met with Lenny, right?

Just-a-Guy, I dont think they've ever said if the guys ever got any cash out at the ATMs, at least not that I've read.

Think I'm going to see if I can find what issues Lenny had been working on when he went missing. Probably many, he sounds like he was a busy guy. But maybe one in particular got heated, or something...maybe causing some sort of retaliation??

Thinking about Lenny....

I am thankful his car has been found- really hope it yields some clues/evidence in finding where he is and what happened.

IMHO I think this was a set-up. His "meeting" was intercepted OR something happened to him on that bridge. :(

Hope they tell us what they find... they have been pretty tight lipped...

Not much, but a new article nonetheless.

10/12/2011 1:45 PM
<snip>

As friends and family continue their desperate search, police are putting pressure on the public to come forward with information.

Harris, a longtime fixture in Virginia, was best known as an advocate for the underprivileged.

He’s also a regular at city recreation centers where he helps children succeed in school by finding tutors.

http://m.nbcwashington.com/nbcwashington/pm_107960/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=423gPp2q

I haven't found any type of volatile issue in recent months that Lenny may have been working on that could have possibly been contentious or provocative enough to become violent. Unless maybe his work at the prison involved someone that got out and had it in for him?

I'm at a loss. Looking at the website for project HOPE, and all the articles about the One Love festival, And the housing issues he spoke on, I just continue to be impressed with this man and how hard he worked to help others - it's so hard to imagine this being a guy who someone would be angry enough at to harm, even criminals he spoke to at the correctional ctr., as he was there to help them.

Of course, obviously, some hardened criminals don't care about how good a guy someone is, but you'd think that someone who was experienced in working with the imprisoned, and outreach to them, wouldn't be the type to get on their bad side unknowingly, or have a criminal resent him for something, enough to do him harm,when he was all about trying to help them.

So frustrating,and such a huge loss to the whole community.

I'm concerned the person who called Lenny the night he went missing had something to do with his disappearance. It concerns me greatly, LE hasn't at least come out and said that person is known and has been ruled out as far as having any involvement. Even if LE did not release the persons name.

My fears are that someone passed Lenny's name along as someone who can help... but the person calling wasn't interested in help. I fear whomever 'referred' Lenny may be fearful of coming forward and letting LE know within days or weeks of his disappearance Lenny's name and contact number was passed along.

If this was something random why wouldn't he have already been found?
If this was something political why hasn't he been found?

I could be wrong, but that leaves me to thinking the perp knows at least one persons knows he (or she) had Lenny's info and that may be a reason to have 'hidden' him more carefully.

I pray I am wrong and continue to pray for his safe return, along with answers and peace for his family.

Where are you Lenny?

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/loc...in-finding-alexandria-man-lenny-harris-101211

If the family can remain hopeful I'll try too. This article says the car was found in the parking lot of an apartment complex on Livingston Road.

Thanks! From that article...

snip>>

"We've searched that area. But he may know that area because he’s everywhere with his pest control business and he has all types of friends," says Deborah. "But that's not somewhere he would go stay and park his car."

Hmm. according to Google Maps, the car was approx. 10.9 miles from the rec center he was last seen at and a 21min drive away.. still trying to find apartments in that area... Unless if it was at the Porbella Apartments right past the bride, thats only 6 miles away!

Hmm. according to Google Maps, the car was approx. 10.9 miles from the rec center he was last seen at and a 21min drive away.. still trying to find apartments in that area... Unless if it was at the Porbella Apartments right past the bride, thats only 6 miles away!

There are lots of apartments in the area along Livingston Road. It's quite a long road - a little more than 22 miles long from start to end (although the very top portion is in DC, not PG County). There may be more of it elsewhere but that's all I could come up with for now. It's quite densely populated. I was just over there for supper tonight.

Have they said exactly where on Livingston Rd, or just "Livingston Rd"?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-14 at 8.22.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-14 at 8.22.11 PM.png
    450.4 KB · Views: 182

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads