17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, they are not a party in the case of the State of Florida vs Zimmerman, O'Mara is.

What difference does that make? There are four attorneys making the rounds IN FULL SUPPORT of the prosecution.

Crump, Jackson, Rand, Parks, and also an attorney who is with the NAACP has been making the rounds and seeming to speak for the Martins as well. And of course, the man who has his own show on MSNBC.

and again, thank heavens they are all involved, Sharpton as well. This case wouldn't be where it is today without them.

~jmo~

The attorneys representing the victims family are NOT a party to the case of State of Florida vs Zimmerman, and are therefore not held to the same ethical standards that O'Mara and the prosecution are held to in discussing this ongoing case.

Unless there's a gag order in place, so far as I know there is no ethical standard prohibiting a defense attorney from publicly advocating for a client. In this particular situation, even if the state were allowed to give interviews, there would be no need for them to - there are plenty of surrogates doing a great job at tainting the jury pool against GZ.

IMO, most people perceive that someone who is named a person of interest or charged with a crime is probably guilty of something. So the deck is stacked against the person in the court of public opinion from the beginning in most instances. (I'm not talking about actual jurors who take an oath to put aside prior knowledge and feelings, just the general perception in the public.)

I've never seen so much vilification of a person prior to even being named a POI or arrested as we've seen in this case. So I don't begrudge O'Mara doing what he can to try to ease that perception a bit. I don't think it will make any difference, really. If the state gives the jurors even barely enough to hang their hats on, GZ will go down hard, IMO.

Actually, the day chief Lee made his statement was the day I knew something wasn't right about this case, he was so condescending and arrogant. I think his speech made many question what really happened in this case. And what his role was. IMO
His alleged meeting that night and refusing to talk about it along with his leaking so much in the case is plenty of reason to get rid of him along with the attitude. IMO

and again, thank heavens they are all involved, Sharpton as well. This case wouldn't be where it is today without them.

~jmo~

So why begrudge the defense their chance to speak on tv as well?

AC's on again in 10 minutes, for anyone interested. I'll personally be watching, as I'm very keen on seeing what exactly O'Mara is saying.

It makes a huge difference, but if you can't see that there is nothing I can do to help you see the difference.

It only makes a difference because you deem it so. That is your opinion, that you are parading as fact.

So why begrudge the defense their chance to speak on tv as well?

I have no issue with the defending atty going on tv, it's just amusing considering he told reporters that he would not try this in the media.

When we're referring to the entire group, is there a preferred name? I'm not trying to be snarky - just genuinely curious. The conversation this stems from seems to be more about the entire group than one or two individual ones. Thanks. :)

I think Crump's lawfirm would be fine if you are talking about them as a group. What is not acceptable is the guessing game of who the "element" is or crump and company. That leaves much to speculation.

Saying Trayvon was murdered in cold blood. I see that as questionable statement to be given as fact, before a trial has happened. Saying he was hunted down like a dog. I never said they were with the SA office. But they do represent the family. And they are saturating the airwaves.

Trayvon was murdered in cold blood...

cold–blood·ed
Pronunciation: \ˈkōl(d)-ˈblə-dəd\
Function: adjective
Date: 1595
1 a: done or acting without consideration, compunction, or clemency <cold–blooded murder> b: matter-of-fact, emotionless <a cold–blooded assessment>

Thus, murdered in cold blood, means that the murderer had no conscience, or emotion as he committed the act.

without emotion or feeling; dispassionate; cruel: a cold-blooded murder.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cold-blooded

As for the hunted down like a dog, I'd say that speaks for itself. Tactical flashlights, 9 mm weapon with hollow-point bullets, sure sounds like he was hunted like a dog in my opinion.

~jmo~

Actually, the day chief Lee made his statement was the day I knew something wasn't right about this case, he was so condescending and arrogant. I think his speech made many question what really happened in this case. And what his role was. IMO

Agreed, It's the day many people knew something wasn't right with this case. And fortunately, most people don't have short, convenient or selective memories.

Again, Chief Lee was no innocent scapegoat.

JMHO

It makes a huge difference, but if you can't see that there is nothing I can do to help you see the difference.

Is there a gag order preventing the defense attorney from speaking publicly?

If not,there is nothing wrong with his doing so. You may feel differently, but there is no legal reason preventing him from speaking in defense of his client. Especially given the onslaught of attorneys seemingly trying the case in the court of public opinion, from the other side.

I'm sadden by this whole UNNECESSARY event. We have a 17 year old teenager DEAD because of some man who decided it was HIS responsibility to take the law into his own hands when he, IMO had no right to. Tray was simply a teenager walking back to his home, minding his own business when GZ decides to make a big deal out of it. I personally don't think that TM looked like he was up to no good. I believe he felt threatened that GZ was following him therefore he stood his ground and tried to protect his own life.

If I were on the jury, and as for now I don't have all the facts like none of us do, but just hearing the pleas for help, and I believe it came from TM, would make me wonder why on earth GZ had to kill him. He should have backed off at that point because at that point he had the upper hand. Self defense? I doubt it :twocents:

I think Crump's lawfirm would be fine if you are talking about them as a group. What is not acceptable is the guessing game of who the "element" is or crump and company. That leaves much to speculation.
BBM

I thought that initially, but they're not all a part of his lawfirm. I was just looking for an all-encompassing term. If that's as close as we can get, I understand.

Trayvon was murdered in cold blood...

cold–blood·ed
Pronunciation: \&#712;k&#333;l(d)-&#712;bl&#601;-d&#601;d\
Function: adjective
Date: 1595
1 a: done or acting without consideration, compunction, or clemency <cold–blooded murder> b: matter-of-fact, emotionless <a cold–blooded assessment>

Thus, murdered in cold blood, means that the murderer had no conscience, or emotion as he committed the act.

without emotion or feeling; dispassionate; cruel: a cold-blooded murder.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cold-blooded

As for the hunted down like a dog, I'd say that speaks for itself. Tactical flashlights, 9 mm weapon with hollow-point bullets, sure sounds like he was hunted like a dog in my opinion.

~jmo~
And you have FOUR attorneys making statements like those above, and yet you begrudge O/Mara for making his defense statements?

I was pretty aghast when I read this, which I had not seen before, kindly posted earlier..

&#8220;If someone asks you, &#8216;Hey do you live here?&#8217; is it OK for you to jump on them and beat the crap out of somebody?&#8221; Lee said. &#8220;It&#8217;s not.&#8221;

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/15/2696446_p2_trayvon-martin-case.html

What a thing for him to say..."hey do you live here???"

That's what he was trying to purport happened? Zimmerman just asked him if he lived there? Before they were forced to release the reports? whahuh?

If ****only**** Zimmerman had said that. *sigh*

I was pretty aghast when I read this, which I had not seen before, kindly posted earlier..

“If someone asks you, ‘Hey do you live here?’ is it OK for you to jump on them and beat the crap out of somebody?” Lee said. “It’s not.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/15/2696446_p2_trayvon-martin-case.html

What a thing for him to say..."hey do you live here???"

That's what he was trying to purport happened? Zimmerman just asked him if he lived there? Before they were forced to release the reports? whahuh?

If ****only**** Zimmerman had said that. *sigh*
I don't think anyone has lauded Lee's rhetorical stylings. I'm pretty sure we all agree he was out of line.

Is there a gag order preventing the defense attorney from speaking publicly?

If not,there is nothing wrong with his doing so. You may feel differently, but there is no legal reason preventing him from speaking in defense of his client. Especially given the onslaught of attorneys seemingly trying the case in the court of public opinion, from the other side.

It's just a little contradictory on his part considering he has made statements that he wouldn't try this case in the media yet every time you watch a news program, he's on it trying his case in the media, he's standing in front of a group of microphones trying his case in the media, he's being quoted in newspapers trying his case in the media. That's all. Sounds very hypocritical to me.

~jmo~

I think O'Mara's decision was 100% calculated and that he got exactly the reaction he was expecting. jmo

Yes, very probable that he was trying to give the public a glimpse of Zimmerman's (no doubt well-instructed, calm, humble) demeanor. It may be the only opportunity to put his client before the public outside of trial. I think O'Mara is a very smart guy and, like you said, was aware of how it might play and considered it a risk worth taking. I still wonder whether he cooked it up or whether GZ really wanted to do it and O'Mara saw the potential benefit in it and allowed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingfish8877