LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
This needs to be emphasized so people don't get caught up again. This is the truck indentified as a Z71 by police that is still under investigation. It is traveling the same directions as Mickey and this is the only picture we have.

Picture #2 here: http://findmickeynow.com/

This makes sense of a lot of things:

- Charlie saying the initial photo wasn't 'the' truck, but to look for similar ones
- Polices spending the time to identify this truck as a Z71, but not identifying the other vehicles
- This truck traveled the same direction as Mickey, just behind her
- Neither Mickey or this truck are shown on the camera down the street (at least based on whats been released)

Given all that, this truck may be the key to the case.

How would Charlie have known before today that it wasn't "the" truck? Sounds like LE is sharing info with the family but not the public? If they knew that was the VOI why not say so?

I will be more circumspect in the future. Lesson to self, that's regarding doing this on the 'net.

In person, I can be pretty low-key and invisible and blend in. I didn't just go barging around. And had it been the car, I certainly wasn't going to stop and stare or go banging on the door. I would have left and called LE. And I didn't pull into the driveway, 8-track blaring, either.

A casual stroll from a few blocks away slouching with a low cap like the rest of the people and then use the corner of the eye.

Shouldn't have put it on the 'net.

When paris_paris shows up, tell her I'm ready for my spanking.

Yeah its best never to tell the interwebs your secrets

I've always been suspicious of the Patterson story. This just further proves that it's not connected.

I posted this late last night; it's my take on the Patterson thing:

There's a certain type of guy that's unique to Lafayette and to a degree, Houston. Local slang is 'hard-legs'. The age can range from 20's up to late 50's or so. Many of them work offshore on a regular 7 on/7 off schedule, or they work for the oil service companies coming and going all times of the day or night, some on call 365 days a year.

This is typical in an oilfield town which Lafayette is, predominantly.

They make good money, have all the man-toys ...the nice boats, the nice trucks, electronics, etc. They usually won't have a nice home, though. Or a nice stable relationship. It's sort of a nomadic life these guys live; they drift in and out of relationships, many drink heavily, they party the 7 or 14 days they are in and then back out to the rigs they go.

They keep the strip clubs in business to a large degree. Many would use the above term to refer to themselves, or they self-reference as a good-old-boy. They come in and want sex but have no wife or girlfriend so they cruise like the guy Tasha Patterson reported. The guy she described fits the stereotype (there's that word again) ...older, fed well, slightly scruffy ...and admits he likes to drive around looking for pretty girls (which are plentiful in Lafayette) but in my opinion, mostly harmless. The fact that she said no and he shrugged and said ok and let her out at the corner supports my contention.

I keep thinking, as I read some of these posts, about the old saying:

When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Am I the only one who found the whole Patterson thing to be oddly suspicious since it was never reported to police when it occured and it only came out now? Not saying she is lying, but my reaction when I watched the news story about it when it aired was definitive skepticism. All I know is that if I had experienced something like that, I would have gone to the police (even if not right away, but when Mickey went missing) and I definitely wouldn't have plastered my name and face all over the media with some sort of psycho out there.

But what could she report him for? He offered her a ride, in broad daylight, and she voluntarily climbed into his truck. Then he, according to her, offered her 60 bucks for a sex act. She declined, and he dropped her off safely. What exactly could she have him arrested for?

Just because he said, supposedly, that he liked to drive around to look for pretty girls? I bet lots of men do that, routinely. That is not against the law.

From yesterday's press conference, I did not get the impression that Mickey's bike suffered "significant damage."

To me, a bent fender and a dislodged tire is not considered significant damage.

A mangled frame would be significant damage.

jmo

I agree. MSM could be embellishing Corporal Mouton's words.

A question is whether there is an identifying mark on the front door of this truck or if that's just an artifact of the poor quality video. If you look at the door, it looks like there is an arc that starts at the bottom of the door, goes up under the front window and maybe continues all the way to the headlight on that side. It's shape is like if you were looking up at the St Louis Arch. It may be real or it may be just caused by the bad video resolution.

bilde

Oh, this is so disheartening!!! Nothin? How is that possible?

It's quite possible they didn't see anything. If you're not looking for something, that can happen.

Sometimes I'll be riding as a passenger in someone else's vehicle and say "Where did that building come from?" when it had been under construction for weeks just outside of my peripheral vision while driving. When I'm driving, I see less of my total surroundings than when I'm a passenger.

Or they could have been talking or reading a text message or posting to facebook or eating fries out of the bag or looking for the phone charger or checking the nav screen or changing the station...a million things.

Most of us (Chicken Fried excepted) don't get into a vehicle to look for something. We're going to or coming from something else. What happens in the middle is not usually notable.

A question is whether there is an identifying mark on the front door of this truck or if that's just an artifact of the poor quality video. If you look at the door, it looks like there is an arc that starts at the bottom of the door, goes up under the front window and maybe continues all the way to the headlight on that side. It's shape is like if you were looking up at the St Louis Arch. It may be real or it may be just caused by the bad video resolution.

bilde

i think that's the shadow of that diamond-shaped street sign, being cast sideways by the streetlamp/other light

bilde

I think it's a shadow from the street sign or something else.

bilde

Me thinks that is just the shadow from the sign.

For those living in the Lafayette area: A while back was there not a woman (could have been a man) who had multiple DUI's and accidents with injuries caused to others and maybe even a fatality? From what I remember this woman was never incarcerated?? Trying to jog my memory. Louisiana has to be the absolute best state for Drunk Drivers, they go free! For all I know the court gives them a debit card to use at their local bars!

:furious::furious::furious:

But what could she report him for? He offered her a ride, in broad daylight, and she voluntarily climbed into his truck. Then he, according to her, offered her 60 bucks for a sex act. She declined, and he dropped her off safely. What exactly could she have him arrested for?

Just because he said, supposedly, that he liked to drive around to look for pretty girls? I bet lots of men do that, routinely. That is not against the law.

It is against the law to attempt to pay money for sex

What if the perp has two vehicles? If they do I.D. The white truck, can they also check for any other vehicles registered to that person? Just a thought.. I wouldn't think he is going to ride around in his truck... Although he has taken some bold chances already.

How would Charlie have known before today that it wasn't "the" truck? Sounds like LE is sharing info with the family but not the public? If they knew that was the VOI why not say so?

I think it's appropriate that the family be aware of more details than the public. If releasing details would compromise the investigation, they shouldn't release them.

Am I the only one who found the whole Patterson thing to be oddly suspicious since it was never reported to police when it occured and it only came out now? Not saying she is lying, but my reaction when I watched the news story about it when it aired was definitive skepticism. All I know is that if I had experienced something like that, I would have gone to the police (even if not right away, but when Mickey went missing) and I definitely wouldn't have plastered my name and face all over the media with some sort of psycho out there.

A teen would not tell their own parents this out of fear of being punished....let alone LE. Getting in a truck with a total stranger? (She also stated it was a GMC Texas Edition) She stepped up when she saw the white truck involved in MS's disappearance....and prolly got a good scolding from many. I commend her for that...and don't believe she was just trying to just attract attention....unless she was with someone in a white truck around 1:48 AM when MS disappeared. :what:

Good point.

It's quite possible they didn't see anything. If you're not looking for something, that can happen.

Sometimes I'll be riding as a passenger in someone else's vehicle and say "Where did that building come from?" when it had been under construction for weeks just outside of my peripheral vision while driving. When I'm driving, I see less of my total surroundings than when I'm a passenger.

Or they could have been talking or reading a text message or posting to facebook or eating fries out of the bag or looking for the phone charger or checking the nav screen or changing the station...a million things.

Most of us (Chicken Fried excepted) don't get into a vehicle to look for something. We're going to or coming from something else. What happens in the middle is not usually notable.

The reason I wanted to go straight out and look at that vehicle was that it was a darn-good match from the air - the location was close to the abduction - he had several old cars, and a boat. There were two big old Caddys under a tarps. That's the type of person that drives around a big old Olds with Bondo.... and keeps driving it like that for months or years. I figured it was quicker to have a look-see than to call into a tip line inundated with thousands of tips.

I trusted my own eyes to rule it in or out, instantly.

Thanks to paris_paris for the tip! Next time I'll be more discreet :blushing:

I will be more circumspect in the future. Lesson to self, that's regarding doing this on the 'net.

In person, I can be pretty low-key and invisible and blend in. I didn't just go barging around. And had it been the car, I certainly wasn't going to stop and stare or go banging on the door. I would have left and called LE. And I didn't pull into the driveway, 8-track blaring, either.

A casual stroll from a few blocks away slouching with a low cap like the rest of the people and then use the corner of the eye.

Shouldn't have put it on the 'net.

When paris_paris shows up, tell her I'm ready for my spanking.

Well, if I hadn't been snooping around, wouldn't have found the 2 runaways living in the empty house two doors down! Couldn't get through the tip line number that was given with the article about the runaways. 911 took care of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SplendidFerret25