**GRAPHIC**- Luka Rocco Magnotta:1st deg murder: ***DISCUSSION OF THE VIDEO ONLY***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to believe that it's not a heart rate monitor but it makes sense in a sick way that it is and is very much what it sounds like in every way. At this point I'm guessing that Luka sliced the throat initially in order to deaden Jun's vocal cords so he couldn't cry out (neighbors would hear), but didn't kill him right away. And that he had this heart rate monitor hooked up somehow in order to monitor how scared Jun was and that he was still alive. Perhaps he laid the audio down over the video so that the time sequences don't match up. Hence, when Jun is still alive in the audio, he's already dead in the video. But I haven't watched the video footage so I might be very lost here in my interpretation.

Let me just say that I am not well informed on the topic of the audio. Additionally I am not really wanting to go back and listen to these sounds. So I'm trying to just let others sleuth this aspect of the evidence since I'm too wimpy to look/listen and don't have much to offer about the technical inquiries.

I did read Scientific's above theory and was horrified... I get frustrated when I don't think I can be more grossed out by this case, only to read another perspective that makes me wonder about new possibilities and I get sick to my stomach (nothing meant against Scientific or other posters who are hypothesizing the possibilities). I don't know if Scientific's theory is accurate, but the shear sadistic aspect of that possibility would underscore a whole new level of depravity IMO. I guess all along I've been hoping that LM didn't really "get off" on the killing of JL...choosing to want to believe that he at some point quickly slit JL's throat, leaving him to bleed out and die rather fast. Choosing to believe that it was always the fame the killing video would give LM. If something involving torture or prolonged sadistic cruelty is eventually shown & proven it would evidence even higher levels of pathology then I was considering. Mind you, I believe its well within LM's capabilities...to be sadistic....the kitten murders alone are highly sadistic. I need to go take some Prevacid....

Thank you for posting this. I've been having a pretty disturbed evening, considering such things, and will be happy to forget about this case soon. Every day I tell myself not to come back and read about it anymore. I think that because I've had traumatic experiences with antisocial people in the past, I'm drawn to understand this kind of crime. Your reaction is exactly like mine was. I wouldn't have been brave enough to listen to the audio if people hadn't already described it on here as consisting of basic sounds like a dog bark. The video footage would be way too much for me.

At this point I'm convinced that Luka is sadistic (not just narcissistic) regardless of how the audio can be interpreted. It's hard to find any empathy for him whatsoever. But at first it's confusing weeding through sock puppets and such, to figure out what his motivations were. He seems to have had this long-term plan to be a serial killer and I suspect he has harmed human beings for years, maybe building to the point where he could film it.

Let me just say that I am not well informed on the topic of the audio. Additionally I am not really wanting to go back and listen to these sounds. So I'm trying to just let others sleuth this aspect of the evidence since I'm too wimpy to look/listen and don't have much to offer about the technical inquiries.

I did read Scientific's above theory and was horrified... I get frustrated when I don't think I can be more grossed out by this case, only to read another perspective that makes me wonder about new possibilities and I get sick to my stomach (nothing meant against Scientific or other posters who are hypothesizing the possibilities). I don't know if Scientific's theory is accurate, but the shear sadistic aspect of that possibility would underscore a whole new level of depravity IMO. I guess all along I've been hoping that LM didn't really "get off" on the killing of JL...choosing to want to believe that he at some point quickly slit JL's throat, leaving him to bleed out and die rather fast. Choosing to believe that it was always the fame the killing video would give LM. If something involving torture or prolonged sadistic cruelty is eventually shown & proven it would evidence even higher levels of pathology then I was considering. Mind you, I believe its well within LM's capabilities...to be sadistic....the kitten murders alone are highly sadistic. I need to go take some Prevacid....

...but then again if he actually used a heart monitor that would put an incredibly,shocking twist to his little movie just by judging our reactions so I'm sure he would have wanted to film that part to share it with us.He's not that creative ,everything he did was done before IMO .Plus where would he get it,would he have knowledge how to use it etc?

Personally, I don't need an official to tell me what a puppy bark sounds like or what a puppy looks like.

The problem is that not everyone in the world watched the murder video and heard the audio with the dog barking.... I'm one of those people that didn't have the guts to see images/screenshots of the video and no way I'm going to watch or listen to the audio, so that is why I was hoping to hear something official. Because I've read conflicting opinions in different websites so it is all so confusing. Hope you understand my reasons...

...but then again if he actually used a heart monitor that would put an incredibly,shocking twist to his little movie just by judging our reactions so I'm sure he would have wanted to film that part to share it with us.He's not that creative ,everything he did was done before IMO .Plus where would he get it,would he have knowledge how to use it etc?

I agree. If he had a machine he would probably film it.
Maybe it is just a sound effect he added while editing the audio of the video, there are free samples with sounds of 'Heart Monitor Beep Sound Effect ' "cardiac arrest ecg' that you can mix in the tracks etc.
Could it be some alarm watch sound? I hope some forensic audio tech here will be able to solve this mystery.

@Donyale, Im 99,9% sure its a dog. It really sounds like a dog. I dont know of any other animal that would sound like this. Its definitely not a cat or a rabbit...

Could something like this be causing the beeping? Not sure since I have never heard of this, and not sure if it would beep so consistantly for so long.

http://ask.metafilter.com/76175/stupid-beeping-noise

I would put my bet on something like this.

Having now listened to the audio a few times, at first, I thought the beeping (when it first appeared) sounded like a microwave beeping.

But the beeping is irregular and generally continues throughout the video. It's even there at the start (as Amandes points out). I think it's just a kind of noise feedback from one of many possible sources. You've probably got a computer, GSM smartphone, camera, power appliances (angle grinder), a microphone, and stereo speakers all operating within a small distance from each other. You're going to get some low level auditory interference and feedback as a result.

Mozzmo and Scientific. As much as I think LRM is a sadistic psychopath, I just don't think the heart rate monitor makes sense in the circumstances if only for the timeline. Very early on in the video, Jun Lin is clearly dead (by the time of the ice pick stabbing) so there would be no more heart rate changes causing the changing rate of beeping for the final third of the video.

I think much more likely, is it's just some feedback on the microphone. When I have music playing on my laptop, plus stereo speakers, plus a phone, plus a mic going, there is almost always feedback if they are brought closer together.

ALSO: it doesn't fit our theory of LRM's psychology. We know how much we aimed to shock everyone with the brutality of this crime. I think if he had taken all the trouble to hook up a heart monitor, he would have shown it in the video. Because it would add to the shock and sadism.

The beeping noise sounds like some technical interference. Could it come from having the mic open at full volume while editing? It really becomes noticeble when he fades out the loud New Order version at around 5:45. I also think that the soft New Order version starts around 1:26 and probably was there first. Its out of beat with the loud version...

Its like he did his best to mix the two versions in sync. You can hear him knock (with his fist?) to the beat on a table or something around 0:57. To me its sounds like the loud version was recorded directly from the computer on the the tape, not via speaker sound. So I dont get why the mic was open. You can hear him breathing..

The different soundlayers make it confusing...

Okay, having listened to the audio again, not for the beeping, but to understand if the external noises provide us with a sense of what time of day it is.

Here are a few thoughts:

Two Versions of Song Used to Mask Time Slices and Dismemberment Sounds
We know that "True Faith" is actually playing on the video in two ways: first, LRM is playing it while he is doing the deed; but then he also has edited the track onto the video, as a background song. LRM probably blasted music to disguise any unusual sounds from his killing/dismemberment. He then edited the song onto the video itself, in order to mask time slices that would have been apparent from the song playing in the background (as he did the crime).

Fiddling With the Camera = LRM Stops the Recording
I think sometimes when we hear "fiddling with camera / mic" in the video, is when LRM has actually stopped or paused the camera from recording. That fiddling sound, is exactly the sound my digital camera (with mic) makes when I go to turn it off, or pause it. In other words, there is a timeslice-- things happen that we do not see, because LRM is not recording it. This is apparent from the video itself, as often the fiddling coincides with a change in the angle or subject matter of the video.

There is a lot more fiddling with the camera/mic near the beginning of the video. This makes sense, as that is when he would have to pause the video to do the killing (throat slit) and then dismemberment (with angle grinder). So there would be a lot of time slices.

External Sounds in the Video Help Indicate the Time of Day
I think in terms of the time of day, the video beings late evening. 10 or 11pm. LRM would be blasting his music, so no neighbours could hear the angle grinder too clearly.

We can't hear any cars or any noise from outside, likely due to the music at this point.

However, later in the video, the music is gone, and it's mainly quiet. However, eventually that quiet is broken by external sounds. First, by birds chirping (possibly). Then a car drives by. Then there are more cars driving by. Then some people outside talking.

I think those sounds suggests, we've reached morning. The first sounds of people going to work. It is still quite early, possibly 6 or 7am or so.

This makes sense given LRM's overall timeline for the crime and video recording. I believe he probably started the night before (perhaps the night of May 24th) and then continued all night until the morning of May 25th, which is the morning sounds we hear on the video.

Then, after cleaning up some, maybe even disposing of some of the body parts or preparing them to be mailed, LRM gets to work on the Internet angle of his crime. Uploading the video to BestGore and, as he loved to do, writing about himself online (hence the May 25 RipOff Reprots and Scam Information posts)...

I posted this weeks ago on the old general discussion thread..i thought I would bring it over here since it's all about the video and is pertinent to what we are talking about...

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - ARRESTED- Luka Rocco Magnotta:1st deg murder charge #8

I have some details I noticed from the killvid and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were..

1) There has been some discussion about what LM filmed the kill vid on..I can say that I saw a hand strap several times in the video when he was obviously holding the camera. I have a Kodak http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...ctID.221644600 easy cam ...very inexpensive (around $100-$150ish) and all of those type of easy cams have hand straps like the one dangling in the corner of the video..I too have video where you can see the hand strap. This is to let those who were wondering if he used his phone or his laptop..it appears he used neither.

2)Also in the beginning ..he appears to be "stroking" JL in an almost loving way (the same way he does at first to the animals he kills) after he gets off JLs chest he reaches behind the pillow and pulls something out. I suspect it could be the murder weapon. This would make one think that he "hid" it there...which tells me MAYBE JL did get into bed and tied up willingly..why else would he have the weapons hidden. A few times after that you see him bending down and "stashing" what looks like some sort of black small case or something rolled up in black or dark cloth. The theory of the CL movie ad is sticking with me...this would make sense based on what we see in this part of the vid. I am IN NO WAY saying JL wanted this...just that the "how he got into the situation" issue may be answered with that. I say this because I too have hidden things from my hubby under the pillow that I broke out in the throws of passion (no not anything like ice picks or knives...but I am not gonna say there hasn't been fuzzy handcuffs ..or something even more risky under there)

3)The stabber stabs JL 100 times in the edited video. One thing I notice is that the figure who is stabbing JL seems heavier than LM. He even has a peek of a muffin top jiggling while he "stabs"...only in this scene does it appear to maybe be someone other than LM...BUT it's a BIG maybe...it's hard to tell..if anyone else has thoughts on this please share...

4)He also focuses the camera on the casablanca poster for a few interrupted seconds...letting us know he REALLY wants us to see the poster.

5) I noticed when the vid starts it is a lot of artificial light...meaning it is night time..I am sensitive to this because I am a photographer and I much prefer to work with natural light and am disturbed by brash night time artificial light...4 minutes or more into the video i see bright morning light. At this point JL was dead and LM started to dismember him. He waited until the morning to do all of the hard work. He played at night and when the morning came he got to work. By the time JL has no extremities left (no arms, legs or head) it is (or appears to be) dusk ..this gives us an indication of a time line and how long it may have taken LM to do this deed.

6) I completely agree now that it is a dog..although I still see some odd dog movements...however there is a dog bark at 6:14 and 6:16 in the video. A puppy bark at that.

7) There is a male who sneezes two times at 9:03 and 9:06.. definitely male IMO although it's noted that some have suspected it may be female..

8) 9:29 and for many seconds after you get a clear visual of LMs gold middle finger ring.

Also note that the still pictures at the end show parts of JLs body in the bathroom...they seem to have been carried there via a blanket that is dark blue or black. that same material can be seen in both the bathroom stills and under JL when he is in the bed.

If anyone has any other facts or theories on some of these things I have noted in the video please express them. I know there are those of us who have seen and those who have not seen the killvid. I tried not to be graphic and included some facts that I though people who have not seen might be interested in hearing.

As a few of you have stated before ..we all seem to have our own reasons for being drawn to this case. I started tuning into LM when he did the kitten vids but there is more of a connection for me than just that. I am happy to see so many people sharing intimate details of their life as to why they are drawn to the case. I too have a very close personal connection that I feel to this case and although I am not comfortable discussing it just yet...I assure you when I do, this thread will be the first to hear it and I am sure I will receive the same understanding that I have seen given to all those who have been sharing. I really do appreciate the respect everyone shows in this thread...its nice to see that even though we don't always agree..there is respect given.

I look forward to hearing thoughts on the above

Since someone posted about the possibility of the beeping being the sound of a heart rate monitor, I listened to the audio clip again. I can't tell for sure whether it is indeed a heart rate monitor that can be heard but listening did prompt some considerations. Was Jun dead before the end of the audio? Does the audio definitely correspond to the film footage or could it be audio made earlier while Jun may have been alive and hooked up to a machine? Did Luka lay a second audio track down over the first in order to create the impression of someone else being in the room? Was he trying to create such a confusing picture that it would be impossible to prove who was the murderer, who is in the video, whether there was an accomplice, and when Jun was still alive?

...At this point I am having a hard time not hating Luka and wanting him to suffer a terrible death. I'm a pacifist and generally a kind person, I like to think. But this case has made me reconsider my personal beliefs. Maybe sometimes people really do deserve to be put to death. Maybe it's even a great evil not to put certain people to death. In any case, I don't know but that's what has been going through my head.

^^^ This. I think it's definitely possible LM thought he was being very clever by trying to confuse people. I also think he purposefully edited the video in a haphazard way to keep people talking/speculating.

<snip> Also note that the still pictures at the end show parts of JLs body in the bathroom...they seem to have been carried there via a blanket that is dark blue or black. that same material can be seen in both the bathroom stills and under JL when he is in the bed.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why LM only included photographs of the body parts in the tub and not video? Based on his need for shock value, I find it surprising he wouldn't film this. And from what I've heard (I haven't watched the video), the photos are very quick glimpses?

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why LM only included photographs of the body parts in the tub and not video? Based on his need for shock value, I find it surprising he wouldn't film this. And from what I've heard (I haven't watched the video), the photos are very quick glimpses?

Yes they are quick stills of it...not sure why he didn't film it.

Further notes on the beeping noise throughout the video...I think it's some sort of electronic static or interference. I noticed something similar when I was filming my dog in a seemingly quiet room...but had computers and tvs on in other rooms...it still ended up with almost a heart monitor sounding beeping..wasn't consistent sounding...like the beeping in the killvid...JMO

^^^ This. I think it's definitely possible LM thought he was being very clever by trying to confuse people. I also think he purposefully edited the video in a haphazard way to keep people talking/speculating.

I agree...it was VERY haphazard and a few things appear to be out of sequence as well...odd...but not really for LM

Jujercu, maby you can enlighten me about something. With my technologically challenged computer I cant see the video anymore. I saw the kill video when my laptop was still alive and there is something I would like to know.

When I saw the video I was sure that it was the dog that sneezed. Not LM bec in my recollection he didnt move during the sneezes, so I assumed it must have been the puppy. When I listen to the audio though Im certain its human sneezes. Did you see him make a sneezing move? Its minimal but should be there... Otherwise its not the authentic audio but an other layer of sound...

I could be completely wrong bec its been a while since I saw the video...

Jujercu, maby you can enlighten me about something. With my technologically challenged computer I cant see the video anymore. I saw the kill video when my laptop was still alive and there is something I would like to know.

When I saw the video I was sure that it was the dog that sneezed. Not LM bec in my recollection he didnt move during the sneezes, so I assumed it must have been the puppy. When I listen to the audio though Im certain its human sneezes. Did you see him make a sneezing move? Its minimal but should be there... Otherwise its not the authentic audio but an other layer of sound...

You make an excellent point..I was talking about this with another poster (ItalianWSfan)who brought up the same point a few pages back..I have been thinking about it..and watched it for that spot..the camera doesn't move when he sneezes..at all. Which is a great catch...because I didn't notice it before.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - **GRAPHIC**- Luka Rocco Magnotta:1st deg murder: ***DISCUSSION OF THE VIDEO ONLY***

But then I started thinking about camera and video technology. I filmed a video of me running with my dogs on the beach..when I uploaded it the software had a tool in it ..that noted automatically my film job was jumpy..and asked me if I wanted to to smooth it out for me...and it did. Its like glass. I could have sneezed as well and the camera wouldn't show it. The software I used came with the camera...so it was something LM could have easily had as well. Not ruling out the third person theory that is lurking within that oddity...but know that LM used tripods for sure..IMO. They are also cheap on ebay...so he had access to all of that inexpensive equipment.

The layers of sound don't really seem to match up though..you're right with that.

I posted this weeks ago on the old general discussion thread..i thought I would bring it over here since it's all about the video and is pertinent to what we are talking about...

[Snipped by thedissent ]

I look forward to hearing thoughts on the above

Thanks for this, Jujercu.

A few thoughts corresponding to your points:

(2) I agree with you that it's possible he hid weapons (very clearly early in the video he is holding some kind of power appliance, most likely an angle grinder in his right hand, as he touches Jun Lin's covered face). I also think that LRM may have lured Jun Lin to his apartment, and yes, possibly with a Craiglist ad. If Jun Lin was, as reported, lonely, it's wouldn't be surprising if he spent a lot of time trying to meet people via Craigslist ads. The "personal movie" ad on Craigslist for May 24, 2012 certainly is suspicious. Also, I have yet to see any credible evidence (other than early and sensational and probably sloppy reporting) that Jun Lin and LRM had any kind of relationship before May 24.

I suspect police, however, would already know whether there was a relationship between Jun Lin and LRM-- they would simply ask Jun Lin's friends about it. Presumably they would know.

(3) I don't think the stabber looks necessarily heavier than LRM. He's wearing a big oversized sweatshirt. His arms and body could easily be thinner, like LRM, just masked under the sweater. I didn't see any obvious muffin top. I just saw parts of the sweater that could have just been "puffed out". In fact, his waist (which is shown from the back during the stabbing scene) looks pretty thin, just like LRM.

(4) Agree. Definitely consistent with LRM wanted this video to be linked to him.

(5) I agree with your lighting observations, but I feel like he would have worked all night at the crime. The brighter lighting in the video coincides with external audio sounds, that sound like it's now morning, with cars driving to work and people talking. However, I believe he started the night before, and continued work-- including videotaping-- all the way until the next morning. He was on a tight timeline. He was flying out on the 26th. He still had to package and mail body parts, scrawl that plagiarized Manson quote on the wall, take out the garbage (including some body parts), take some body parts to that Park up the street, fully edit and splice in the video, upload the video to BestGore, do some more Internet trolling, and get ready for his flight on the 26th. In fact, I'm sure the reason why he "smelled bad" on the flight (according to news reports) was that he probably didn't even have time to shower, etc.

The 2 sneezes are human, presumably LRM. I've listened to it very closely, it's him. At times, he has the camera just mounted on its own on the table that was sitting on the end of the bed. He moved the camera to focus on the dog who was on the bed at the time and he took a step or two back and thats when he sneezed, twice.

I watched again and listened closely, and you are right, there are in fact very often footsteps when LM is not moving.
My theory:
When editing a video, most programmes have an "audioline" in it, positioned on top or at the bottom of the "video line". That audioline shows also the time and it can be moved back and forth. When adding a song to the video editing programme, the initial audioline often moves back.
I dont know how to explain- I hope you can understand what I mean.
The audio of the background noises (the sneeze, the footsteps, etc.) could simply have moved but still be real. Just out sync.
That would explain the footsteps and the sneeze (cam not moving).
We would have to carefully note everything we see and everything we hear with time stamps - and then check if audio and video match at some point.

BTW: A post on here made me laugh ("I can hear an angle grinder! My neighbour must be dismembering someone!"), but then I felt bad instantly for laughing, considering the crime. Anyways, thanks! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53