BSL - Evidentiary Hearing, Friday, Aug 17, 2012, 10:00 A.M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary B said that BSL thought quite highly of himself - like he was a gift to women.

also, i'm thinking that he put the knife down to drive. how scary those 40 minutes "playing possum" must have been for Mickey.

so he went back to Pinseclair approx 24 hours after the kidnapping? if he was at ochsner at 11pm then he must have made it back to bury her around 2 or 3??
He was nothing special. He came in, looked straight ahead at the young criminal court clerks in front of me, & then turned. He never turned towards Mickey or Lisa's families. I didn't realize I was on the side he & his attorneys would sit. I just wanted a better vantage point.
I don't know how to measure evil. I once had the distinct displeasure of sitting across a desk from the leader of a Guatemalan death squad. Flat affect. Cold eyes. Nothing remarkable. But a seething undercurrent of evil. I didn't find out what this man was till the next day. Then I ran looking for the idiot who made me talk to him.

As I said before, I don't know what I expected seeing BSL in the flesh. I didn't realize how little & pathetic he was. But that's in a courtroom full of hostile people. He diminished. He's only strong when he's around a woman he thinks he can control.

Thank you, Mickey, mighty you certainly were, ever.

Gary B said that BSL thought quite highly of himself - like he was a gift to women.

also, i'm thinking that he put the knife down to drive. how scary those 40 minutes "playing possum" must have been for Mickey.

so he went back to Pinseclair approx 24 hours after the kidnapping? if he was at ochsner at 11pm then he must have made it back to bury her around 2 or 3??
I can't imagine the horror she must have felt. Her poor family having to read that must have been heartwrenching. How can we ever begin to move on? This has happened so close to home for many of us. The child of our neighbors, people we went to school with, worked with, saw driving around town did this. Can we ever heal and trust again? There are no words that can describe how I feel.

True cc. Just wonder why the docs @ oschner did not insist he be admitted. With pain that great ....... And he was driving back to laf ?

I just want to apologize if anything I've written today that was offensive or insensitive to you all. That was not my intention. I have been reading a lot about Ted Bundy and other serial killers lately & I brought some of my knowledge about what was done to those victims into this discussion. I mean no disrespect to Mickey or Lisa. I was just being frank (too frank) about what happened to some of those victims and hypothesizing the same could have happened to Mickey and Lisa. I was just stuck on how BSL doesn't cop to any sort of sexual wrong-doing for whatever reasons. I'll stop. I went back and edited & deleted some posts (some posts I went to delete had already disappeared, which is fine).

I respect all of my fellow WSers who have given so much time, love, and prayers for Mickey and I am sorry that I upset anyone.

ktgirl, I thought all the same as you have posted. I didn't think of it as an attack on anything about MS but rather historical facts and the point being that the confession while based on fact, we cannot fully trust a murder's words as Gospel. Most confessions by killers are self serving if not all in some aspects. And I too believe that she was passed out via her initial stab wounds, and this is when he put her in the truck. My instinct or gut tells me as he attempted to do something to her (I'll say it) rape, that is when she woke up, felt her hand for the knife and found it. The rest is history.

MS was a hero, she endured what no person should have and she fought hard, that is a fact. The rest we can only go off of prior historic RSO's that kill and their MO to compare and that is all my mind did and yours. It is logical a thinking process. Do not apologize for that. I thank you for your post!

I have noticed...members with Louisiana ties...speak freely, openly, 'tell it like it is'! Then, we do not hesitate to apologize...should we have offended anyone!

I am really praying for a quick closure to any other murders BSL has been involved in. Hopefully, evidence is just going to roll in.

One thing i think is that he was afraid to leave her because of the gunshot wound. He may have thought the bullet could be traced back to him.

What I hope is that Mighty Mickey scared him so badly that he couldn't think rationally.

He was just correcting where Brandon came from. I don't think he meant to disrespect Church Point, just saying that was his home town, not Lafayette.

As far as Brandon's momma, many of us have been praying for her for quite awhile. She didn't ask for or deserve what she has been dragged into. I am a mother of a son who was unjustly accused of a crime, not as serious as this, and my son was eventually proven to have not been involved, but I remember hearing people trash him and wish for evil to befall him. There were days when holding my head up was an impossible task. I was terrified for my son, terrified for his brothers who had to walk out of this house every day when I could hide in here. So I feel for Cynthia, I know how it feels to love your son desperately and to have others hate him.

She is blessed to still have her son living. Two other families aren't so lucky. I am not one calling for public hangings or wishing that Brandon will be abused or murdered by other prisoners. But I understand that emotions are running really high right now, because of our love for Mickey.
I don't know what he/she meant. I know what you and others are telling me he/she meant. I admit to being sensitive concerning this event. I'm still shocked at finding out it was one of our own who committed these crimes.

Your empathy for Cynthia is consoling to some, I'm sure. I would hope that no other mothers have to feel like Micky, Lisa, and Brandon's mothers felt. Unfortunately, I don't think this is the end.

Cynthia does need support. His entire family does. And even though Micky's parents received support from the local and national community, I'm sure her pain is overwhelming. It's something she will have to live with the rest of her life.

True cc. Just wonder why the docs @ oschner did not insist he be admitted. With pain that great ....... And he was driving back to laf ?
They were only required, by law, to stabilize him. Believe me, I worked there for @ 10 yrs. anything life threatening & he would have stayed. I got sick one Mardi GRAS & woke up in a hospital bed w/ my friends giving me grief. Then I had to go to work downstairs.

A statement from Mickey's mother, posted on the Find Mickey Now, Search Resources Group

"In these past months all three of my beautiful children have never stopped impressing me with their strength.
The child who is able to speak in public stands in front of me and speaks to the press and the public when I cannot speak.
The child who is shy stands behind me and keeps me from falling when I can no longer stand up.
And Mickey.
We started calling her “The Mighty Mick” at a few months old; pretty soon it was always “The Mite” or “The Mick”.
From this day forward, we go back to “The Mighty Mick.”

Rest here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/360477814006959/

Yes, I wondered that too - how did Mickey get hold of the knife a second time? Two possibilities here that I can think of right now: 1. Thinking Mickey was unconscious, he put down the knife beside her as he began to attempt rape - and she was able to grab his knife, or 2. She had her own little knife or box cutter at the ready. JMO

There is another option here which would be that he did not disclose the way things actually went down. This is his version only, some of which cannot be confirmed.

Only Lisa Pate and Mickey Shunick could discount some portions of the version given.

He attacked and killed not one, but two women. Inmates are going to be having lots of fun with him...If they put him in general population.

TRANSLATION: He knew what they found in his trailer and he knew he was good and screwed.

His actions so far look to be self-serving. So, he kills the Shunicks' daughter, then writes the bereaved parents a letter? To what point? Far from wanting "closure for them", I think it was more a "please don't let the world think too badly of my for my monstrous crimes once you hear them" coverup.

For some reason, I get the overwhelming sense that BSL was trying to lessen the heinousness of his crimes not for legal reasons, but for the benefit of those who know him personally. Shallow? Indeed. But considering how a RSO said nothing about sexual motive in the murder of young, pretty women and how he tried to justify going off on Mickey when she fought like a hellion, I'd say his motivations all point towards self-image.

I get loads of solace from knowing he was so badly injured that he had to seek medical care. Only fear of his own death would push him to go to a hospital after committing a murder. Alibis and lies aside, his pain must have been horrific and further heightened once his adrenaline rush wore off.

He moved her body to the cemetery and found his hand wouldn't function. He tried to dig. He covered her with leaves and debris. He tried cleaning out his truck. He threw a bike into a body of water. That's a lot of activity for someone with multiple stab wounds and a badly injured hand. Only desperation would have pushed him so far with blood everywhere, his adrenaline no longer pumping, and his body getting progressively weaker from enormous pain, blood loss and mental exhaustion as he tried desperately to cover up what had simply become too much evidence.

Each imagery of motion brings to me a grim satisfaction that he suffered for much, much longer than the woman he murdered did. Her pain was over relatively quickly. If he sustained nerve damage in his hand, I can almost guarantee that he will be feeling that for the rest of his life...As he should.

My numbers have to do with evidence found in his home. There may be more women from whose demise he did not keep trophies. But three more is the rumble I keep hearing, too, and from more than one corner.

"Life threatening" doesn't seem like a long shot at all, if he was in danger of bleeding to death from his wounds. After all, you can nick the femoral artery, and even though the wound itself isn't too big, you can bleed out like a stuck pig relatively quickly.

For instance, if he grabbed that knife and severed tendons, then it's a good bet he also slashed nerves and veins. I don't know about you, but I'd like to think he was dirtying his drawers as he drove down the road and observed his own life force draining from a hand which was at once on fire (where the nerves were severed) and horrifyingly numb and unresponsive. Let's not forget that he was also stabbed in his neck, his back and his arm (I think). Human blood, because of its opacity, looks a LOT worse in terms of volume, and it's hard to gauge exactly how much you lose.

The chances of BSL being in the general population are almost nil. He's confessed to 2 first degree murders so forget about him being made someone's plaything.
Maybe BSL's attorneys told him to use life threatening because by a legal definition, it seems to fit:
A life-threatening injury is defined as an "injury involving a substantial risk of death; loss or substantial impairment of the function of a bodily member, organ, or mental faculty that is likely to be permanent; or an obvious disfigurement that is likely to be permanent."

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/klfy/LAVERGNE_Plea_of_Guilty.PDF

If this means he has two years to apply for "post conviction relief" I'd think they'll complete all forensics in case of that occurring.

Her dad said today they expect to have her back next week.

You are from CP? Do you know CBL?

I don't know any of the people involved but I can say that my prayers are with BSL's family as much as they are with the Shunicks and Pates. It's a terrible tragedy for all of the family members.

I have noticed...members with Louisiana ties...speak freely, openly, 'tell it like it is'! Then, we do not hesitate to apologize...should we have offended anyone!
That is pretty much how Cajun's are. LOL Very few people are ever left wondering what a Cajun feels when communicating with him. We are also a very warm and caring people. I would say forgiving but obviously it is too soon for many people to even begin that part of the journey, if they ever can.

Of course I'm not speaking for all Cajuns but what I have said appropriately describes the ones I know. And particularly those of my age.

This has been, in my memory, the most horrid of crimes here, committed so many years apart. BSL's family is part of our community which makes it that much more shocking. And the speculation that more victims are to be uncovered is more than we should have to take.

We feel deeply for the victims and their families. That is why it is so painful for so many.

I am still reading to catch up but keep wondering who the witness was that was supposedly to testify today ?? Maybe that was just a rumor ? Can anyone clear that up for me please ? Thanks !

Will LE details come out now, about what, if anything, was found at his home? I am wondering if they actually found anything tying him to Lisa and/or Mickey, or just decided to go ahead with the GJ for Lisa again, based on the similarities.

I am still reading to catch up but keep wondering who the witness was that was supposedly to testify today ?? Maybe that was just a rumor ? Can anyone clear that up for me please ? Thanks !

It was BSL himself; just changing his plea to guilty.

Will LE details come out now, about what, if anything, was found at his home? .

I've been pondering the larger question along these lines for the last couple of hours now.

Will LE disclose what evidence they had? The items they confiscated from his home (as suggested above)? The footage from TDA? The transcripts of witness interviews? Phone records? GPS records? The contents of his cellphone? The details of how he got from the site of the burning truck back to where he was staying in the Houston area? And so on.

Bumping and editing my own post from August 8...

To all of you who joined WS because of Mickey, and especially the locals, who must have felt the pain even moreso than those of us many miles away. Thank you for all of your dedication and love you showed during the past few weeks, doing all that you could to find Mickey and see that her murderer was found and held accountable. Whether you posted many times a day, only a few times, or never at all, just being here shows your heart for this. As we all deal with our many feelings of anger, grief, and even some relief that Mickey has at least been found now, and her murderer has been sentenced, let us not forget that there are many others on these many threads, and sadly, will be many more. I have been following Kelli Bordeaux's case since the beginning some three and a half months ago (she has still not been found and no suspect has been charged). I hope that you will stay and let your devotion continue to be a voice for the missing. I feel honored to have "met" you all.

I was under the impression it was going to be his sister yo testify but cannot say where i read that. Anybody else under that impression or was that just rumor ?

Please everyone, don't leave this board or case until all known involvement of bsl in other cases have been investigated.

This isn't the end.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. My gut tells me there are victims out there that have yet to be found. I certainly hope LE pursues any and all leads...

Blessings to the Shunicks and soar, Angel Mightly Mick... :angel::angel::angel::angel::angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amikman