CT - Man kills masked intruder, learns it’s his son, New Fairfield

He was 11 when adopted, maybe absolutely no bonding to aunt and dad.
Maybe he was troubled all along and the teacher dad 'ignored the signs'.
KWIM???

I was keeping an open mind until I learned the age of his adoption. (I'm not opposed to adoptions. My sister is adopting a toddler next week and I couldn't be happier.)

But is it wrong of me to be more suspicious of Tyler's intentions now that I know he was passed around and not finally adopted until he was 11?

I mean I still think it's possible he was waving the knife just to get past his father and avoid detection. But I'm less inclined to believe Tyler's adventure that night was all a practical joke.

Please don't hesitate to tell me if you think I am unfairly prejudiced. That's why I'm asking.

Only slightly off-topic: the Bravo reality show FLIPPING OUT this week showed a scene in which two of the regulars found ski masks at a sporting goods store and decided it would be funny to ride around Hollywood in broad daylight, wearing the masks and asking for directions to a bank (as if they were robbers). As most people in California are rather polite, the pedestrians they stopped kindly pointed out the direction of the nearest banks and liquor stores, without batting an eye.

But at the time, I thought, "What a truly stupid thing to do, wearing ski masks even in daylight on a busy street, no matter how much it amuses you. I can imagine 10 ways this could go horribly wrong."

Tyler's death was NOT one of the ways I imagined.

You know, just thinking out loud but I wonder if he was snooping around with more of a hormonal urge creepy-peepy thing going on? :what:

You know, just thinking out loud but I wonder if he was snooping around with more of a hormonal urge creepy-peepy thing going on? :what:

It's a horrible thought, but the aunt in question was not someone he had known since he was a small child. I can't say with certainty how he saw her.

I was thinking along the lines of the show Scare Tactics.... but the knife just makes it seem more like it was a real thing vs. a lets freak out my aunt type of thing

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scare_Tactics"]Scare Tactics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Scare Tactics is a hidden camera prank show that puts victims into terrifying situations, usually involving movie-style special effects and makeup that recreates horror movie clichés. The victims, generally four per episode, are set up by friends/family in tandem with producers.

The real victims on the show are usually lured to some location, either invited there by people they know (who were in on the act), or reporting for what they thought was a new job. Soon they would experience some kind of terrifying scene — like a strange monster, a terrible accident, or a violent crime being committed – all of which was staged while the victim was secretly being recorded.

There are some instances where the victims are lured into the pranks on the promise of being on a fake reality show called "Fear Antics" which plays off like a show similar to MTV's Jackass but end with dire consequences. In Season 3, one of the contestants was lured into a fake show called "Dog Catchers", which was a parody of Cheaters. One additional fake show used to dupe the Scare Tactics victims is known as "Truthisodes," which is a generic conspiracy theory show that claims "the government is lying to you".

The pranks end when the victim is completely terrified and someone would asks them, "Are you scared?" to which they usually reply in the affirmative. They then get the reply, "You shouldn't be! You're on Scare Tactics!" or "I'll have to/I'm gonna put you on Scare Tactics!" In some instances, the pranks have ended when the victims get violent with the actors pulling the prank, or run out of the controlled environment where the prank is played out.

^^^^I must be getting old. I don't find the idea of "Scare Tactics" even remotely amusing.

"Riddled with bullets"? How many bullets would be required to take someone down and call 911? Good grief...whatever happened to shooting someone in the foot or something, to get them down?

^^^^I must be getting old. I don't find the idea of "Scare Tactics" even remotely amusing.

Neither do I. In fact it sounds incredibly stupid to me. I guess it's all fun and games until somebody actually gets hurt.

IIRC, I read somewhere that the father was just sitting next to the deceased and the still-masked body of the deceased "intruder" when LE took the mask off to reveal it was his son. It was not apparent if the father (a well-liked local school teacher) had already looked under the mask or if he knew right before the reveal.

Such a nightmare for all involved.

Where did you see all that? I know it said the guy was sitting on the lawn and the teen was sprawled in the driveway, but I didn't see anything to indicate the kid was still masked or if the mask was off.

I don't know. Something is off about this story. Either dad lied about the "masked intruder" lunging at him in a threatening manner so he could get away with shooting someone who scared him or kid was up to something horrible and the dad purposefully stopped him or...something else.

Wouldn't this kid, if playing around or even trying to rob his own aunt have said, "Dad, it's me! I'm just fooling around!" Once he saw his father approach with a gun?

Perhaps the teen didn't recognize his father.

Well, I guess the police may have been wrong. Looks like there is more to this kid than they might have thought.

BBM: I would be really curious to know what that "trouble at home" entailed???

Well, she mentions that he was the sweetest little baby and that she had him before he was adopted by his parents in 2008.

"Riddled with bullets"? How many bullets would be required to take someone down and call 911? Good grief...whatever happened to shooting someone in the foot or something, to get them down?

I hear ya' but when people are taught to shoot a gun for protection, they are never taught to merely wound an attacker. They are taught to kill.

Also, I think the average joe in such a situation kind of panics and unloads it all.

Neither do I. In fact it sounds incredibly stupid to me. I guess it's all fun and games until somebody actually gets hurt.

I remember that show. It was on briefly. I never watched it because the commercials showed how stupid it was. I thought it looked like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Maybe that's why it was only on for one, short season.

I don;t even think a kid this age would know about it. He would have been about 7 when it aired.

Where did you see all that? I know it said the guy was sitting on the lawn and the teen was sprawled in the driveway, but I didn't see anything to indicate the kid was still masked or if the mask was off.

It's in every article linked above.

As Gitana1 has said, it is in all of the updated articles regarding this case. Now, most of the articles are now adding that the father didn't know it was his son and had not seen the face before LE pulled the mask off.

So sad and just heartbreaking.....

I was keeping an open mind until I learned the age of his adoption. (I'm not opposed to adoptions. My sister is adopting a toddler next week and I couldn't be happier.)

But is it wrong of me to be more suspicious of Tyler's intentions now that I know he was passed around and not finally adopted until he was 11?

I mean I still think it's possible he was waving the knife just to get past his father and avoid detection. But I'm less inclined to believe Tyler's adventure that night was all a practical joke.

Please don't hesitate to tell me if you think I am unfairly prejudiced. That's why I'm asking.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sandusky by now. I hate to say it, but when a single man adopts a preteen boy, these days I've seen a lot where the single man's intentions weren't as altruistic as some people would want to believe. I'm not saying that's the case here, but I am saying I'm wondering if there are undercurrents of some sort or another here. It's the same way with missing preteens, Steven Stayner, Shawn Hornbeck, Ben Ownsby. People thought these were single dads with preteen or prepubescent boys. They weren't.

This thought just occurred to me. So far, the only witnesses are the brother and sister. Perhaps this didn't happen like it was reported.

It's in every article linked above.

Well, I guess I'll have to go back and read every article above, because I read them all and the words that the father didn't know until LE pulled off the mask wasn't there when I read them. And I just read the articles a few minutes ago. But maybe it's my eyesight.

The adoptive father is not single. He has a wife.
"Tyler was a student at New Fairfield High School and a Civil Air Patrol cadet. Some of those who knew him said he enjoyed spending time with his family and flying gliders and small planes. He was adopted by Giuliano and his wife a few years ago, friends said."
http://www.startribune.com/nation/171770101.html?refer=y

I think your right, at first I thought it might be a teenage prank, but after learning that he wasn't adopted until 11 and he had a knife that he might have used made me think he was up to no good. I'm sure the Dad and Aunt feel guilty, and I have such sadness for them.

This kid had a knife..how scary is that? You don't need a knife to steal things which makes me think this kid was there to do harm. IMOO I would bet the Dad and family have so many questions.

O/T Congrats on the new toddler in the family, Nova!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back