NC NC - Fuquay Varina, WhtFem 35-45, 474UFNC, burned alive, may be Canadian, bifocals, Apr'68

I like the resemblance and the glasses sure look the same. she even has the scar. The question would be where was she for the two years but it cant hurt suggesting her.

I was just about to suggest Leatherwood. She's the right age -- hair color (black with gray mixed in), the glasses, all match. Bifocals would suggest someone in the upper end of the age range listed (35-45). Did anyone ever hear back about this potential match?

I was just about to suggest Leatherwood. She's the right age -- hair color (black with gray mixed in), the glasses, all match. Bifocals would suggest someone in the upper end of the age range listed (35-45). Did anyone ever hear back about this potential match?

I e-mailed LE both from where Mrs. Leatherwood went missing and where the UID was found back last April and both agencies were looking into it, but I never heard back if she was a match or not.

Did anybody else notice that in that photo, she's holding a man's hand?

I noticed that, too. I thought that it was probably her husband. According to the Charley Project, she had, in the past, left her husband several times and then they would later reconcile.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/leatherwood_anna.html

I didn't realize this at the time that I e-mailed LE about a possible match between Anna Leatherwood and the UID, but [according to her Charley Project page] her husband was abusive and authorities believe that he murdered her. I am still going to follow up to see if there are any updates, because it is still possible that she could have left him and been murdered by someone else in North Carolina.

I noticed that, too. I thought that it was probably her husband. According to the Charley Project, she had, in the past, left her husband several times and then they would later reconcile.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/leatherwood_anna.html

I didn't realize this at the time that I e-mailed LE about a possible match between Anna Leatherwood and the UID, but [according to her Charley Project page] her husband was abusive and authorities believe that he murdered her. I am still going to follow up to see if there are any updates, because it is still possible that she could have left him and been murdered by someone else in North Carolina.

Another fairly plausible scenario: She left him, found another man and moved to Canada with him. Man got job in NC, she followed, abusive ex-husband caught up with her and killed her.

It isn't uncommon for women in abusive relationships (especially those who return to their abuser) to get in subsequent abusive relationships. If they are the same person, perhaps that explains two violent relationships? Sieversville, TN and Wake, NC are around 6 hours apart by car.

I e-mailed the investigators in charge of both cases and asked if there were any updates about Anna Leatherwood and the unidentified woman from Wake County. It sounds like they are still working on it. Amy Dobbs from the Knox County Sheriff's office response was --
I did look into the potential match and have not been able to rule her out. I have been working with the LE agency in NC that has the unidentified female to see if DNA could be sent off for a profile to be developed. Unfortunately, we have been at a stand still with trying to find a sample to be sent to the lab. Since the case has age on it, many of the items from the unidentified have not been located. Hopefully, sometime soon the will find the items needed to have a DNA profile developed and we can have a comparison requested.

Hopefully, they will be able to find the DNA.

Websleuths Link: UID (Possible) Immigrants/Migrants/Other

Unidentified White Female
The victim was discovered: April 28, 1968
Location: in McCullers community, southern Wake County, North Carolina
Estimated Date of Death: April 27, 1968

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 35-45 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2-5'4; 130 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: There is a very slight possibility of Native American mixture.
Small ears.
Hair Colour: Black hair with some dark brown and occasional gray. It would be casually viewed to be black.
She had a surgical scar below the left side of her naval.

Accessories: She wore a pair of bifocals, gold and brown smoke colored.
Clothing: Green & white polka dot dress or blouse w/zipper
- Women's all-weather coat, greenish-blue in color, with lining of gray fibers - remnants of what appeared to undergarments and pantyhose.
Shoes: size 7 1/2 brown italian loafer style shoe ~ manufacturer not determined, appeared to be cheaper brand in the range of $4-$10;

Other Items Found:
- A more expensive transistor battery, probably for a radio
- 2 metallic buttons
- the top of a ballpoint pen with the inscription, "Unipeco Mt. Vernon N.Y. U.S.A";
- "Skin Dew" crème for "Dry Skin", manufactured by Helena Rubenstein, NY, NY;
- some type of overnight medicated cream, manufactured by Helena Rubenstein, NY, NY - $1.25;
- "Silk Fashion" liquid makeup, manufactured by Helena Rubenstein, NY, NY - $1.75 (introduced in 1967);
- glass top with "_ilk of _ntimate"; manufactured by Revlon;
- some metal tubes or containers which could have been used for lipstick/eyeliner;
- hair clips and possible greenish-blue hair net;
- wire frame for standing make-up mirror and some glass remnants of mirror; - a "Thin Gillette" blade in wrapper;
- a pair of tweezers with "Permo TWEEZ" imprinted thereon.

Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Blood card and hair samples available.
Blood Type: A positive

Case History
On April 27, 1968, a woman in a green and white polka dot dress was seen walking down Ten Ten Road in McCullars community, near Fuquay-Varina, in southern Wake County, North Carolina.
A witness says her mother and sister saw her as they drove toward a church up the road. When they came back 15 minutes later, she was gone. When they came back, they didn't see the woman. They saw a fire burning in the field.
The women believed a farmer was burning something until the next day when the woman's body was discovered in that spot.

Additional:
A suspect in the case died in 1992. The suspect planted tobacco in Canada. Because this woman was a stranger to neighbors, investigators think it is possible that the woman came down from Canada to meet with the suspect. Investigators interviewed the suspect in 1968. He admitted that he and a friend drove up the road to get a look at the woman, but told detectives she had vanished when they got there.
The whereabouts of the victim's remains are unknown, but investigators have hair and blood samples from the original investigation.

474UFNC.jpg
474UFNC1.jpg

Left: Reconstruction as it appeared in May 1968 paper
Right: Photo taken at coroner's office after plastic surgeons reconstruction, May 1968.

I saw this missing Person Profile and wondered if this could be a possible match.
Thoughts? Submission?

Unidentified Details in Black
Missing Person details in Blue

NamUs MP # 12580

First name: Johanna
Middle name; Atalia Gersina
Last name; de Haas
Nickname/Alias: Jopie

UID discovered: April 28, 1968 -
MP Last seen: February 08, 1960

UID Located: in McCullers community, southern Wake County, North Carolina
A suspect in the case died in 1992. The suspect planted tobacco in Canada. Because this woman was a stranger to neighbors, investigators think it is possible that the woman came down from Canada to meet with the suspect. Investigators interviewed the suspect in 1968. He admitted that he and a friend drove up the road to get a look at the woman, but told detectives she had vanished when they got there.
The whereabouts of the victim's remains are unknown, but investigators have hair and blood samples from the original investigation.

MP travels: (from NAMUS)
In the 1950s Jopie de Haas was allegedly working in the red-light district in Amsterdam in The Netherlands.
In 1957 Ms. de Haas gave birth to a daughter named Roos. Six weeks later she gave up the child.
In 1960, Ms. de Haas went to Hemer in Germany.
Afterward she likely traveled to the United States or possibly Calgary, Canada.
Ms. De Haas is not a Delaware, USA case, per se. Case entry was permitted by NamUs, whereas Ms. De Haas could have been in the US and could perhaps be an active unidentified remains case here.

Vital Statistics
UID Estimated age in 1968: 35-45 years old
MP Estimated age in 1968 - 31-34 years old

UID Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2-5'4; 130 lbs.
MP Approximate Height: Height: 64.0 inches (5 foot 3 inches)

UID Hair Colour: Black hair with some dark brown and occasional gray. It would be casually viewed to be black.
MP Hair colour: Black

-----
The connection for me here beyond the statistics with both the UID and Johanna de Haas is the circmstances regarding the POI and the reference to Canada - and possibly not being from the USA.

Comparison:
picture.php

I wonder if this lady, if indeed Canadian, would have been recognized by the Indigenous community - I only say that because it says "very slight possibility of Native admixture." Many mixed Caucasian/Native Americans look predominantly white, but there are some tell-tale features; for example, in regards to this case, the woman's very dark hair...

I wonder if this lady, if indeed Canadian, would have been recognized by the Indigenous community - I only say that because it says "very slight possibility of Native admixture." Many mixed Caucasian/Native Americans look predominantly white, but there are some tell-tale features; for example, in regards to this case, the woman's very dark hair...
Or a deep-rooted local. Historically, North Carolina had a large native population. Eight or nine tribes at one time, I think.

It's really sad that we still have John/Jane Doe cases from the 50s and 60s. These people have gone way too long without a name. It may be too late to catch her killer, but she can still be identified. I hope the right person sees her case and gives this woman her name back.

Wake County Sheriff's Office would have to submit information.

Wake County Sheriff's Office would have to submit information.

Actually, you can create an account and fill in a profile and NamUS will seek permission from the investigating agency to publish it. I created a profile for Joan Risch (unfortunately, someone has to take ownership of the case in order for NamUS to publish it, and apparently, no agency considers itself responsible for investigating her disappearance).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back