NC NC - Fuquay Varina, WhtFem 35-45, 474UFNC, burned alive, may be Canadian, bifocals, Apr'68

CRIME HUNTER: Canadian Jane Doe slain in 1968 remains a mystery | Toronto Sun
Robert Reagan was a local tobacco picker who had done the back-breaking work in Canada as well.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Cosmetics/Hygiene items to include:
  • Skin Dew crème for dry skin, overnight medicated cream ($1.25)
  • Silk Fashion liquid makeup ($1.75, introduced in 1967) - all manufactured by Helena Rubenstein, NY, NY;
  • A glass top with "_ilk of _ntimate" - manufactured by Revlon, which is believed to be Silk of Intimate perfume.
  • Some metal tubes or containers which could have been used for lipstick/eyeliner.
  • Hair clips and a possible greenish-blue hair net.
  • A wire frame for standing make-up mirror and some glass remnants of mirror
Sounds like this guy was a "migrant farm worker"

All of these cosmetics just don't seem to go with someone who would follow a migrant farm worker all the way from Canada!
And they think this because locals didn't recognize her??? She could have been from Raleigh??

Those are not "cheap cosmetics"
Sounds like she was someone who was with the "wrong guy" for whatever reason, but I don't think she met this guy in Canada!

Canadian eh??
Name
Robert A Reagan
Sex Male
Age 74y
Death Date Apr 1992
Death Place Raleigh, Wake, North Carolina
Marital Status Widowed
Occupation Carpenter,Home Construct.
Race White
Ethnicity American
Birth Year 1917
Burial Place Fuquay Varina, N. C. (Died where he was born!!)
Cemetery Wake Chapel
Residence Place Apex, Wake, N. C.
Address: Ten Ten Road (Sounds like he didn't go very far at all!!)
Birth Date 1917
Birthplace Person Co., N. C.

(Removed a few details, such as street number and birthdate)

Last edited:
Horvat ey?sounds like the Hungarian surname Horvath which was the 4th most common surname in hungary.I don't know if it still is.it means Croatian in Hungary(hrvatska/hrvat).so I hope the surname narrows down some genealogical rabbit holes

Jane Doe's glasses remind me of this woman's glasses. I can also see some physical resemblance.

4232DFIL - Bette Marie Horvat

Everyone had glasses like that!!! Everyone!!!
My grandmother and a relative at my parents wedding. (1955)
My grandmother never gave up her "cat's eye glasses"..LOL
40 years after their wedding, my grandmother was buried with them..LOL

Attachments

• BW Image 51 (13).jpg
    BW Image 51 (13).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 13
  • BW Image 51 (14).jpg
    BW Image 51 (14).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Image (68) - Copy - Copy.jpg
    Image (68) - Copy - Copy.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Everyone had glasses like that!!! Everyone!!!
My grandmother and a relative at my parents wedding. (1955)
My grandmother never gave up her "cat's eye glasses"..LOL
40 years after their wedding, my grandmother was buried with them..LOL
Great pics, thanks for sharing them- now i want a pair of those glasses!

"Cats eye" glasses were basically the only glasses available for women back then.
However, her glasses were unique in that they were decorative and had "wings"
I wish they had taken note of the specific frames. (brand etc, where they were purchased etc)
It could have provided another clue.
I think those decorative winged type were fairly rare
(Dark frames with light colored "wings"..wings are not flush with frame)

This is the closest I can find:
Vintage 50s Black Cat Eye Glasses Sunglasses Eyeglasses Pointy | Etsy

il_794xN.3853010623_5lvy.jpg

• She was killed on a Saturday
  • Suspect was married (married from 1938-1981)
  • She may have been killed on the suspect's property

Maybe she was visiting the suspect and his wife was expected home?

Was she carrying a tote with her?
Did the suspect take the cosmetics from his home and burn them?
If she was staying with the suspect, where were the rest of her clothes?

Attaching screenshot of glasses because these sales sites often disappear:

Attachments

• Vintage 50s Black Cat Eye Glasses Sunglasses Eyeglasses Pointy _ Etsy (1).png
    Vintage 50s Black Cat Eye Glasses Sunglasses Eyeglasses Pointy _ Etsy (1).png
    462.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Was Bessie Linder mentioned previously in this thread? I searched the name and didn’t locate anything.

She walked away from a hospital in Feb/March 1968 in NY. Ironically, the picture below resembles a polka dot pattern. Her age was 58, so a bit high for what is estimated. Either this was an old picture of her at the time or she looked quite young for her age.

upload_2022-4-29_14-28-58.jpeg

Was Bessie Linder mentioned previously in this thread? I searched the name and didn’t locate anything.

She walked away from a hospital in Feb/March 1968 in NY. Ironically, the picture below resembles a polka dot pattern. Her age was 58, so a bit high for what is estimated. Either this was an old picture of her at the time or she looked quite young for her age.

View attachment 341921
There is a WS thread for her here. There seems to be conflicting info on whether she was last seen in 1968 or if it was a decade later.
NY - NY - Bessie Linder, 70, West Brentwood, Feb or Mar 1968

ETA Searching WS for cases is sometimes tricky. Starting from /forums helps. If all else fails, try using a search engine outside WS and include "websleuths" as a search term.

Last edited:

View attachment 341921

They don't look like the same person.

Bessie was born in 1910!

Picture of Bessie is from 1943

I get the impression Fuquay Varina Jane Doe was fairly stylish.

I see a census record from 1920 and 1930: There is a Bessie Binder in NYC who was born in Russia.

Last edited:
Horvat ey?sounds like the Hungarian surname Horvath which was the 4th most common surname in hungary.I don't know if it still is.it means Croatian in Hungary(hrvatska/hrvat).so I hope the surname narrows down some genealogical rabbit holes

It's common throughout the region (Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary etc.) and fairly common in the US/Canada where people from those countries migrated to. One of my Bohemian great-aunts married a guy named Hornet(h) but I'm not sure how he spelled it.

Last edited:
It's common throughout the region (Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary etc.) and fairly common in the US/Canada where people from those countries migrated to. One of my Bohemian great-aunts married a guy named Hornet(h) but I'm not sure how he spelled it.
I'm from the North Albania/South Montenegro border region so I have a limited knowledge exposure of Slavic surnames and culture in general due to the collective slavophobia in that community.all I know is there was a migration of croats and other South Slavs to what is modern day Hungary especially during the ottoman wars.Horvath being a common name is supposed to mean many Croats went to Hungary and became magyarized and that surname is a subtle reminder of their past Croat origins

so Bette Horvat's husband might be one of those stereotypically cold shoulder giving not so romantic type of Slavic guys.meaning her husband might know someone who did it but never confronted or whatever reasons may be.maybe he is a culprit in her disappearance but lied about info but it's been decades so speculation is all we have

I'm from the North Albania/South Montenegro border region so I have a limited knowledge exposure of Slavic surnames and culture in general due to the collective slavophobia in that community.all I know is there was a migration of croats and other South Slavs to what is modern day Hungary especially during the ottoman wars.Horvath being a common name is supposed to mean many Croats went to Hungary and became magyarized and that surname is a subtle reminder of their past Croat origins

so Bette Horvat's husband might be one of those stereotypically cold shoulder giving not so romantic type of Slavic guys.meaning her husband might know someone who did it but never confronted or whatever reasons may be.maybe he is a culprit in her disappearance but lied about info but it's been decades so speculation is all we have

I'm just saying there are quite a few other countries the Croats went to and took the Hornet(h) name with them.

This may help narrow your time frame some, this article is from The Charlotte Observer, 13 May 68, pg 6. At the date of the article, the article indicates a picture was taken and is being distributed to the media. If I find a specific article with the photo, I will post it.

View attachment 340824
There may be one in the News & Observer.

One thing I wasn't sure had been discussed much was the pen. Unipeco was a trademark of the Union Pen & Pencil Co. which was in Mt. Vernon NY. UNIPECO Trademark of Union Pen & Pencil Co. - Serial Number 73388383 - Alter They seem to have made promotional items, so the pen doesn't likely indicate any connection of the Fuquay Varina Doe to NY. I found a Unipeco pen for sale on EBay. Their name and address are engraved on the clip part of the pen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda
Back