Identified! AZ - Superstition Mtns, Remains found in crevice, Nov'12 - Jesse Capen

Very interesting Disappeared segment if anyone can catch it.
He was quite secretive and his family had no idea how much he was obsessed with the legendary Superstition Mts and gold treasure said to be hidden there.

Interesting that sometimes, our closest relatives are so secretive this way. He was a Bell Hop in Denver, and this is what he did with his spare time. Studied and researched practically 24-7 on the subject itself.

R.I.P. Jesse

I found it interesting his remains were found so close to the Disappeared show airing on Discovery ID.

I haven't seen an update indicating there has been official word on an ID, but it sounds like this is probably Jesse. Keeping his family, friends and all who searched in my prayers during this wait for an official id. :praying:

Snipped from [URL="http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/29/body-found-in-arizona-superstition-mountains-believed-to-that-missing-treasure/]here[/URL]:

While the remains have yet to be positively identified, Cooper said he’s “confident” the remains are that of Capen based on where the body was found, clothing found nearby and other identifying characteristics. The body, Cooper said, was found in a crevice roughly 35 feet up a cliff face in the southern portion of the Superstition Mountains, near the 4,892-foot Tortilla Mountain.

“We had been out there searching nearly every weekend for three years and this particular time we were scouring an area where a small daypack was located and had a few articles in it and we started scouring the cliffs,” Cooper told FoxNews.com. “And then we were able to spot a boot in a crevasse 35 feet off the floor, making it nearly impossible to see from any direction. He was in a tight spot and that’s why it took so long to find this young man.”

[URL="http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/29/body-found-in-arizona-superstition-mountains-believed-to-that-missing-treasure/]Source[/URL]

Snipped from another recent article here:

The discovery was made in a spot about 60 miles east of Phoenix, according to Maricopa County sheriff's spokesman Brandon Jones.

Rescuers had spotted a boot sticking out from the ledge, that was almost impossible to notice.

The remains have been sent to the coroner's office for identification but are believed to belong to Mr Capen.

An autopsy took place on Tuesday but results are not expected to be conclusive for several weeks.

Source

Two pictures from the above link

qHeWG.jpg

Peak of adventure: The 'Lost Dutchman's Mine' is believed to be buried deep in Arizona's Superstition Mountains

IfOBX.jpg

X marks the spot: Mr Capen went missing in the mountains three years ago after going in search of the buried treasure

Source

:bump:

Has anyone heard any more news on these remains? I can't find any updated articles; however, I guess it is expected that it might take awhile for tests to be done.

lo9BS.gif

(((trying not to be so impatient)))

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...esert-confirmed-denver-gold-seeker?source=rss

POSTED: 01/23/2013 02:36:44 PM MST
UPDATED: 01/23/2013 11:45:18 PM MST
By Kirk Mitchell
The Denver Post

Arizona officials confirmed Wednesday that skeletal remains of a man found beneath a sheer cliff in the Superstition Mountains were that of a Denver adventurer who died seeking the fabled Lost Dutchman gold mine.

Jesse Capen, 35, was last heard from in the winter of 2009; his parents believe he accidentally fell on the same day he began a month-long search.

I can see the Supers (as we call them) from my front window and this rugged mountain or series of mountains some say is the southernmost tip of the Rockies, is about as rugged as they get.

They are beautiful and alluring but they do claim a lot of lives. Mostly gold hunters for the legendary Apache Gold known as the Lost Dutchman's hidden mine. One article in the Republic not long ago spoke of the many who disappeared in just recent times there, and Jesse among them.
The writer mentioned that the proximity to the growing metropolis of people around them, makes them appear less dangerous and a nearby fascinating outting, which of course they are dangerous once one gets off the official trails, they can easily get turned around and lost.Often without the necessary supplies or water.

People quite often tend to do this too.

Over the centuries, the lure brings them looking from all over the world.

Those in the mountains (the old timers) often stake a claim on their area, and that can be dangerous too, to one's health I'd think.

I'm glad at least that his parents have the answer of what happened to their son.

Very interesting Disappeared segment if anyone can catch it.
He was quite secretive and his family had no idea how much he was obsessed with the legendary Superstition Mts and gold treasure said to be hidden there.

Interesting that sometimes, our closest relatives are so secretive this way. He was a Bell Hop in Denver, and this is what he did with his spare time. Studied and researched practically 24-7 on the subject itself.

R.I.P. Jesse

I watched this about a week ago. Goes to show that family members are not always as informed as they believe they are, as to everything about their relative's habits, what they would and would not do, and so forth. We like to believe we know people so well, but many people are private and don't reveal all to their loved ones.

Although his death was very unfortunate, I'm relieved for this family to find closure and at least be able to know that their son likely died by accident and wasn't murdered.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back