Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why she would even consider locking him up. He seems to be withdrawn and introverted, and did not like leaving home. She may not have needed to lock him in at all. Maybe she just skyped or called him and kept in close contact. She probably had an emergency contact for him in case of anything immediate, but he was pretty high functioning.
bbm
I am not so sure that he was high functioning all the time.

He (Richard Novia) recalled meeting with school guidance counselors, administrators and with the boy's mother, Nancy Lanza, to understand his problems and find ways to ensure his safety. But there were others crises only a mother could solve.
"He would have an episode, and she'd have to return or come to the high school and deal with it," Novia said, describing how the young man would sometimes withdraw completely "from whatever he was supposed to be doing," whether it was sitting in class or reading a book.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/15/adam-lanza-pain-loner-teacher_n_2308641.html

Parents of children with Asperger’s syndrome fear stigma of Adam Lanza

Published: Friday, December 21, 2012

By Kurtis Lee
Digital First Media
@MorningJournal

WATERFORD, Conn. — For Julie Shafer and her 10-year-old son, Caleb, a meticulous routine helps them maneuver through each day.

Wake up at 6 a.m. Leave for school exactly 95 minutes later. Spaghetti for dinner on Mondays. Hot dogs on Tuesdays.

The consistency comforts Caleb, who was diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome in March.

“The need for structure is huge in our lives,” Shafer, a single mother, said Wednesday. “He moves by his own clock and it helps him stay focused and at ease.”

In the days since the Dec. 14 deadly mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Asperger’s has been thrust to the forefront because of reports about the 20-year-old gunman’s diagnosis with the autism spectrum disorder...

Read more: http://www.morningjournal.com/artic...50d3ecbfb4c18762257152.txt?viewmode=fullstory

:what: No widows either? Totally underground only one way out?

There are windows, but they are at the very top of the walls. They are pretty small too, but I think big enough to get one's body out. You would need to stand on a chair or table though. But yeah, it's just one door into the first level. I went into homes built in 2011/2012 on open house tours and they are still all like this.

There are windows, but they are at the very top of the walls. They are pretty small too, but I think big enough to get one's body out. You would need to stand on a chair or table though. But yeah, it's just one door into the first level. I went into homes built in 2011/2012 on open house tours and they are still all like this.

OK. Then it would pass as an "egress".
Thanks!

I think the idea of guns at schools is crazy. Whats next, allowing kids to be armed to protect themselves!!!!!! Yup, that will go over real well.

I understand what you're saying. But it took about 9 minutes[ or more] for LE to arrive. What about rural schools that are 30 minutes out?

I think having one locked cabinet in case of emergencies is something to consider. I wish that janitor or that school nurse had access to a gun that day. They might have been able to bring him down before he got to the classroom, imo.

I wonder if NL had purchased the hollow points. I see no reason for using them in target shooting.

The range that my husband goes to allows hollow point due to you don't get the frags that you do with a full metal jacket type ammo. Matter of fact if you get caught with FMJ ammo you get kicked off of the range.

Also concerning the ammo going thru the walls and then piercing the car doors, in my hubby's opinion a hollow point bullet would only achieve this if the rounds went thru the glass and not the brick and mortar wall.

JMO

Mel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It is weird to me because I hear so much criticism of teachers...I hope the people who say teacher don't care about their students or grades because they have tenure and the protection of a union aren't the same people who want them to be armed.

MOO, regarding theories that NL may have been planning to institutionalize the killer? You can't just commit a person to a mental hospital forever, its quite illegal. Has been since the 60's I think. Short term hospitalization is about as good as it gets unless a crime has been committed and the person is so ordered by the courts. Even then they get out eventually if they can prove they could live on their own. They transition to group homes. The killer obviously needed some kind of help but I'm not sure he was commitable. The biggie is danger to self or others. My opinion about danger is different than the psychiatrists and mental health courts. I'm not defending the killer believe me. Its a civil rights issue. He could have qualified for a group home though where he could have round the clock supervision. Another beef I have is that mental illness is not a crime in itself. You cannot prevent a person from entering college for a mental health diagnosis. They can even go to Nursing school and medical school. They may not pass licensing requirements however. Smarter persons can fool MMPI, etc. By the way I'm not a psychiatrist but I was married to one for many years and assisted him through school.

I understand what you're saying. But it took about 9 minutes[ or more] for LE to arrive. What about rural schools that are 30 minutes out?

I think having one locked cabinet in case of emergencies is something to consider. I wish that janitor or that school nurse had access to a gun that day. They might have been able to bring him down before he got to the classroom, imo.

Before the depression/resession and the housing crisis and all that other horrible stuff the past few years due to tax cuts, we did have our onsite school LE, all day and longer if needed. The reason they were needed before was due to violence from the kids and protection of the other students. Now we need a way at least out here, to get them back to protect the school & the children. I'd feel better about a trained & armed LE watching over again. Heck we most likely need more than one on a large campus jmo Better safe than sorry.

I can see us here discussing a future case of a child who broke into the schools locked gun cabinet and went on a shooting ramage at school. Putting more guns into the picture is not the answer JMO.

About the basement, he may have shut his own self in down there, and not wanted his mother coming down yet wanted her in the house. Some of his other behavior seems the same. Wanting people around but it had to be his way when shaking a hand, dancing, during sickness. Her traveling could have really upset his control and been just one piece in the puzzle.

NL has been protrayed as a loving mother. However, she has also been reported to saying that she felt like she was losing her son. Why was he depressed? Why would you leave your son to go on vacation when you felt this way about him?

I think she may have had conflicted feelings about how serious the situation had become. I think a part of her knew that she needed to take drastic action (possibly following increasingly violent outbursts and/or increasingly severe withdrawals on AL's part) and was seeking to have him committed, and I think she also may have been trying to convince herself that it wasn't as bad as it was. I think she may have been torn & confused.

Perhaps she was taking her mini-vacations in an effort to begin to not only reclaim her own life, but to hopefully demonstrate to her son that he could be okay without her? IMO, she was living in deep denial about the seriousness of the situation.

And before anyone gets on my case about the "possible increasingly violent outbursts" statement above:

“He would start yelling and stuff like that,” the friend said. “He would never hit her. He would just act like a child when he got mad. That’s what she told me.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/exclusive-mind-newtown-killer-article-1.1223612

I don't believe for a New York minute that AL's outbursts were limited to "yelling". No one goes from merely "yelling", to then shooting their own mother in the face 4 times, and then gunning down 20 helpless babies and 6 unarmed adults. Nope - believe you me - he did more than "yelling" at his mother in the days and months (if not years) leading up to this massacre.

Before the depression/resession and the housing crisis and all that other horrible stuff the past few years due to tax cuts, we did have our onsite school LE, all day and longer if needed. The reason they were needed before was due to violence from the kids and protection of the other students. Now we need a way at least out here, to get them back to protect the school & the children. I'd feel better about a trained & armed LE watching over again. Heck we most likely need more than one on a large campus jmo Better safe than sorry.

We have always had an armed officer on our high school campus for most of the day. They are called Resource officers and deal with kids caught with drugs etc.

But they can get to the middle school or elementary schools really quickly if need be. I hope we can keep them in the high schools.

Remembering by remembering what they loved.

Services Friday, December 21, 2012:

Olivia Rose Engel, 6

As Olivia continued to grow, she developed a love and affinity for math and reading, arts and crafts, and her parish. Participating in her church’s CCD program and leading the family’s Grace each evening were sources of great pride for Olivia, as was being a big sister. Ever patient, Olivia took joy in helping her three-year-old brother Brayden explore the world she’d grown to love. This smart, bubbly NY Yankee fan and Daisy Girl Scout would instantly light up a room with her humor, charm, and wit.

In lieu of flowers, contributions in Olivia’s honor can be directed to the Newtown Park and Bark at newtownparkandbark.org .

Dylan Christopher Jack Hockley, 6

He loved to cuddle, play tag every morning at the bus stop with our neighbors, bounce on the trampoline, play computer games, watch movies, the color purple, seeing the moon and eating his favorite foods, especially chocolate. He was learning to read and was so proud when he read us a new book every day. He adored his big brother Jake, his best friend and role model.

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/...Marie-Murphy-s-arms-4122828.php#ixzz2FfXt7MqC

Memorial contributions may be made to the Dylan Hockley Memorial Fund, 34 Charter Ridge Road, Sandy Hook CT, 06482.

Grace Audrey McDonnell, 7

A beautiful and artistic soul, Grace was truly a gift from God and represented all that is good in this world. She was passionate about painting, and she loved the beach. Grace’s dream was to become a painter and live on Martha’s Vineyard.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that you consider making a donation to the Grace Memorial Fund at the Fairfield County Community Foundation. If you choose to do so, please make your check payable to “Grace McDonnell Memorial Fund at FCCF” and mail it to Fairfield County Community Foundation, 383 Main Avenue, Norwalk CT 06851.

Rachel Davino, 29

She had the greatest sense of humor. She found humor in almost anything. She was almost like an actress and she loved dressing up when she was younger. She was a hoot.

She loved her dogs, but she also loved frogs, snakes and mice

http://www.courant.com/news/connect...wn-victims-1217-20121216,0,3266180,full.story

Mary J. Greene Sherlach, 56

She started her career working in psychiatric facilities in New York. Her work as a school psychologist began in North Haven and Redding. In 1994 she started her work at Sandy Hook Elementary School, doing what she termed “God's work” by helping children who needed her the most.

Ms Sherlach is remembered as a loving wife and mother, and a caring soul who was always there to lend an ear or a shoulder to someone in need.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Fairfield County Community Foundation, Fund for Health and Wellness, 383 Main Avenue, Norwalk CT 06851 to continue her work with children and mental health.

Services Thursday, December 20, 2012:

Allison Wyatt, 6

Allison loved drawing and wanted to be an artist, often turning parts of the house into an “art studio” with rows of pictures taped to the walls. She loved to laugh and was developing her own wonderful sense of humor that ranged from just being a silly six-year old to coming up with observations that more than once had her family crying with laughter.

To honor Allison's memory or to assist her sister, please consider donations to either the Allison Wyatt Memorial Fund, Steve DeMartino, c/o TransAct Technology Inc, One Hamden Center, 2319 Whitney Avenue, Suite 3B, Hamden CT 06518 or a check payable to Ben Wyatt as Custodian, same address.

Catherine Violet Hubbard, 6

She will be remembered for her passion of animals and constant smile. Her family prays that she, all the students of Sandy Hook Elementary, and all those affected by this brutal event find peace in their hearts.

In lieu of flowers the family is requesting donations be made to the Newtown Animal Center, PO Box 475, Newtown CT 06470.

Benjamin Andrew Wheeler, 6

He was a devoted fan of his older brother, Nate, and the two of them together filled the house with the noise of four children. He loved the local soccer program, often running across the field long after it was actually necessary, but always smiling and laughing as he moved the ball, nearly always at full tilt. He was becoming a strong swimmer and loved his lessons.

Earlier in December, Ben performed at his piano recital, and sitting still long enough to play one piece was an accomplishment he reveled in. He loved The Beatles, lighthouses, and the number 7 train to Sunnyside, Queens.

It is suggested that memorial donations be made to the Benjamin Wheeler Fund, c/o Trinity Episcopal Church, 36 Main Street, Newtown CT 06470.

Jesse McCord Lewis, 6

Jesse left an indelible mark on the hearts of all he met. The picture that remains etched in family’s souls is one of him in his boots, no socks, ripped jeans, and a t-shirt, an army helmet strapped to his head, a smudge of dirt on his cheek, tromping through the pasture on his way from one adventure to another.

In lieu of flowers, please make donations to Voice for Joanie Inc, 5 Glenwood Road, New Milford CT 06776 or at voiceforjoanie.org .

Lauren Gabrielle Rousseau, 30

She is also mourned by Anthony Lusardi III of Cortlandt Manor, N.Y., the love of her life.

Ms Rousseau was known for her exuberance for life, love of family, her friendliness, kindness, and loyalty, and her ever-present smile.

She was a kindergartner at Hayestown Avenue School, then attended Roberts Avenue School, Broadview Middle School, and Danbury High School, where her greatest joys were singing and dancing in the yearly musical and teaching in the school-based nursery school.

Anne Marie Murphy, 52

She will be remembered for her love of the arts, walks in the outdoors, and most importantly: her family.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to Autism Speaks, 1060 State Road, 2nd Floor, Princeton NJ 08540, or at www.autismspeaks.org .

Nancy Champion Lanza, 52

Services Wednesday, December 19, 2012:

Charlotte Helen Bacon, 6

Charlotte never met an animal she didn’t love, and since the age of 2 wanted to be a veterinarian. She also enjoyed practicing Tae Kwon Do weekly with her dad and brother, where she relished kicking and throwing punches.

In lieu of flowers, contributions in her memory may be sent to Christ the King Lutheran Church, 85 Mt Pleasant Road, Newtown CT 06470.

Daniel Gerard Barden, 7

He loved spending time with his family, both immediate and extended, riding waves at the beach, playing the drums in a band with his brother James and sister Natalie, foosball, reading, and making s’mores around the bonfire with his cousins at his “Papa’s” house in Smallwood, N.Y. Daniel was on the Newtown soccer team and the Newtown Torpedoes swim team.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Daniel’s name to the Sandy Hook School Support Fund, c/o Newtown Savings Bank, 39 Main Street, Newtown CT 06470, or checks may be dropped off at any Newtown Savings Bank branch location. To donate on-line, go to http://newtown.uwwesternct.org .

Caroline Phoebe Previdi, 6

She was a first grade student at the school and a lifetime resident of Sandy Hook. Caroline was a member of St Rose of Lima Church in Newtown. Caroline loved to draw and dance. Her smile brought happiness to everyone she touched.

Contributions in Caroline's memory may be made to The Toy Chest, c/o St Rose of Lima Church, 46 Church Hill Road, Newtown CT 06470.

Chase Michael Anthony Kowalski, 7

Joining the Cub Scouts was just one of his many interests. He could often be found in the yard playing ball, riding his bike or quad. Chase was always excited to attend the kids work shop at the Trumbull Home Depot.

In lieu of flowers please make a donation to the Chase Kowalski Scholarship Fund, c/o Peoples Bank, 470 Monroe Turnpike, Monroe CT 06468.

Victoria “Vicki” Leigh Soto, 27

Some of her favorite things include flamingoes, of which you can never have too many (whenever we saw one, her family thought of her), the New York Yankees #11, and, most importantly, Christmas, as she was the only one allowed to pick out the tree and put up the lights.

Her friends were also such a big part of her life, especially her best friend and confidant Rachel Schiavone, whom she loved dearly. Ms Soto also leaves behind her loving dog, Roxie, who waited for her to come home everyday, and is still waiting, lost without her.

The family has requested in lieu of flowers that donations be made to the Victoria L. Soto Memorial Fund for Education, through the Funeral home.

Dawn Lafferty Hochsprung, 47

Beloved daughter, mother, wife, grandmother, and friend, she was a dedicated teacher who inspired her students to reach their fullest potential by instilling in them the importance of life-long learning. A fierce leader and educational activist, Ms Hochsprung was admired by her colleagues, students, and parents, particularly for her caring and nurturing nature. She often referred to her students as her “children” and wanted school to be a positive place and a safe haven.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Dawn Lafferty – Hochsprung Memorial Fund, Waterbury Connecticut Federal Teacher’s Union, PO Box 2121, Waterbury, CT 06722.

Services Tuesday, December 18, 2012:

Jessica Adrienne Rekos, 6

Jessica loved horseback riding, learning about orcas, writing, and playing with her little brothers.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Newtown Rotary Sandy Hook School Fund, PO Box 263, Newtown CT 06482.

James Radley Mattioli, 6 ¾

James loved to dive off the diving board at the Treadwell Pool, swim like a fish in both of his grandparents’ pools and ride his bike, proudly without training wheels. He often said, “I need to go outside Mom, I need fresh air.” He spent endless hours playing hockey with his best bud and cousin, George.

James was born four weeks early at Bridgeport Hospital. It was an ongoing quip that James came into the world early because he was hungry. He loved hamburgers with ketchup, his Dad’s egg omelets with bacon, and his Mom’s French toast. He often asked to stop at Subway for dinner for a ham sandwich, and wanted to know how old he needed to be to order a footlong sandwich.

In lieu of flowers, a donation may be made in James’ memory to the James R. Mattioli Memorial Fund, c/o Newtown Savings Bank, 39 Main Street, Newtown CT 06470.

Services Monday, December 17, 2012:

Jack Armistead Pinto, 6

Jack was an avid participant in a wide variety of activities including flag football, baseball, basketball, wrestling, and snow skiing. Jack was an incredibly loving and vivacious young boy, appreciated by all who knew him for his lively and giving spirit and steely determination.

[Jack loved NY Giants receiver Victor Cruz.]

Noah Samuel Pozner, 6

[Noah loved tacos.]

Memorial contributions may be directed to the planting of trees in Israel.

These are only small glimpses mostly taken from the obituaries at http://newtownbee.com/

I will be adding for the services to come.

I think she may have had conflicted feelings about how serious the situation had become. I think a part of her knew that she needed to take drastic action (possibly following increasingly violent outbursts and/or increasingly severe withdrawals on AL's part) and was seeking to have him committed, and I think she also may have been trying to convince herself that it wasn't as bad as it was. I think she may have been torn & confused.

Perhaps she was taking her mini-vacations in an effort to begin to not only reclaim her own life, but to hopefully demonstrate to her son that he could be okay without her? IMO, she was living in deep denial about the seriousness of the situation.

And before anyone gets on my case about the "possible increasingly violent outbursts" statement above:

“He would start yelling and stuff like that,” the friend said. “He would never hit her. He would just act like a child when he got mad. That’s what she told me.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/exclusive-mind-newtown-killer-article-1.1223612

I don't believe for a New York minute that AL's outbursts were limited to "yelling". No one goes from merely "yelling", to then shooting their own mother in the face 4 times, and then gunning down 20 helpless babies and 6 unarmed adults. Nope - believe you me - he did more than "yelling" at his mother in the days and months (if not years) leading up to this massacre.

I have to agree.

I am glad that Nancy has been laid to rest without incident. Although I may question many things, she is one of his victims. Although she will never be in the same sentences as his other victims, she deserved a incident free burial as did her family.

I am glad that Nancy has been laid to rest without incident. Although I may question many things, she is one of his victims. Although she will never be in the same sentences as his other victims, she deserved a incident free burial as did her family.

I don't know that she's been laid to rest yet, though. I think there has only been a memorial service for her.

Briggs refuted reports that Nancy Lanza was buried yesterday in Kingston. He said it has not been determined if she would be buried in town.

http://www.eagletribune.com/newhampshire/x1524998214/Nancy-Lanza-remembered-at-Kingston-service

You might have been a meningococcal carrier and killed many on campus without knowing it. ;)

This made me burst out laughing very loudly...hahahha!...and no offense, jjenny..just typical Pens humor that makes me truly LOL..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500