Amanda Knox New Motivation Report RE: Meredith Kercher Murder #1 *new trial ordered*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find me a case where someone has been convicted on very strong DNA and circumstantial evidence (and admitted he raped and killed the woman to0, don't forget that) and AFTER that conviction someone unconnected to the convicted killer was put on trial.

Because if your (snarky) reply was accurate, you shouldn't have any problem finding an actual case.

My reply was in response to your insinuation that wrongful convictions don't happen here in the US. Which we all know is far from the truth.

As it is, I'm not sure what your further point is? Multiple dendents are convicted of murder all the time. So Guede is found guilty - how does that preclude Knox and Sollecito from being guilty as well?

If three people are convicted of murder during two separate trials, is it true that two of the murderers must be innocent because the first murderer has had his conviction confirmed?

If you're trying to imply that this was a "separate trial" situation like we have in the US and the defendants have some sort of relationship and one side or the other requests separate or joined trials..

you're talking apples and rocks and I don't play stupid semantic games

adios

Find me a case where someone has been convicted and later another unrelated person was tried and convicted for the same crime. While the courts admit the first guy in jail, the one with DNA inside the victim, was also guilty. They must abound according to this board.

Did the Italian judge and jury who acquitted her have this mindset?

As long as we're painting with broad strokes, why don't we also say that most people who jump on the "Amanda is guilty" bandwagon do so because of her appearance and because she is American?

*my bolding

At this point, it seems that Knox and Sollecito are guilty because they were found guilty of murder by a court of law (Sollecito's nationality has nothing to do with this conviction). The courts will now hear a new appeal of those convictions. It could go either way during that appeal, but the nationality of the convicted murderers will not factor into the proceedings.

If you're trying to imply that this was a "separate trial" situation like we have in the US and the defendants have some sort of relationship and one side or the other requests separate or joined trials..

you're talking apples and rocks and I don't play stupid semantic games

adios

Find me a case where someone has been convicted and later another unrelated person was tried and convicted for the same crime. While the courts admit the first guy in jail, the one with DNA inside the victim, was also guilty. They must abound according to this board.

Three people were arrested and charged with the murder. Knox and Sollecito were arrested first, Guede was arrested later. Guede opted for a fasttrack trial, Knox and Sollecito opted for the longer, drawn out process. All three were convicted. I'm unsure what you mean when you suggest that Knox and Sollecito should not have been arrested and convicted because Guede was later arrested and convicted during the fasttrack trial.

Find me a case where someone has been convicted on very strong DNA and circumstantial evidence (and admitted he raped and killed the woman to0, don't forget that) and AFTER that conviction someone unconnected to the convicted killer was put on trial.

Because if your (snarky) reply was accurate, you shouldn't have any problem finding an actual case.

I don't believe that Guede gave a statement where he admitted murdering Meredith. In fact, I believe he has said that the other two culprits at the scene committed the murder.

Would you happen to have a link to a statement from Guede where he stated that he murdered Meredith?

Is there a possibility that Sollecito and Knox will have their appeals severed? Does anyone know if this is a legal possibility?

At this point, it seems that Knox and Sollecito are guilty because they were found guilty of murder by a court of law (Sollecito's nationality has nothing to do with this conviction). The courts will now hear a new appeal of those convictions. It could go either way during that appeal, but the nationality of the convicted murderers will not factor into the proceedings.

It would be nice if it didn't factor into the discussion here either. I would like to think that we all discuss this case based on our knowledge of the evidence and other facts, and forget broad generalizations. Personally, I feel that people on either side of the debate are smarter than that and don't base their decision on gender or nationality.

*bolding mine

Did the Italian judge and jury who acquitted her have this mindset?

As long as we're painting with broad strokes, why don't we also say that most people who jump on the "Amanda is guilty" bandwagon do so because of her appearance and because she is American?

*my bolding

I don't know if she's guilty or not. What I do know is there was at least some evidence to convict her the first time. There are also reasons why the appeal is being overturned. A good number of people like to make a judgement primarily on behavior (I don't which is why I'm usually in the minority in a lot of debates on this forum), which is I guess would explain some thinking she's guilty based off her behavior.

I don't judge guilt based on that, hence my first sentence.

TALK ABOUT THE CASE AND NOT EACH OTHER. Don't make your posts personal, please.

Don't start bickering and fighting.

Salem

It would be nice if it didn't factor into the discussion here either. I would like to think that we all discuss this case based on our knowledge of the evidence and other facts, and forget broad generalizations. Personally, I feel that people on either side of the debate are smarter than that and don't base their decision on gender or nationality.

*bolding mine

I think that there has always been a problem with knowing the facts of the case because of the language barriers. Italy has published the facts of the case since November 2007, but few people in the US could understand what was published. One or two Seattle reporters speak Italian, but their information has sometimes been somewhat skewed, depending on whether they believe in the guilt of innocence of the accused.

Knox's family hired a PR firm to manage case information in the US and this had an influence on what information was released to the English speaking public. It's easy to understand that many people in the US have been unable to follow the facts of the case because of the very obvious language barrier.

I don't know if she's guilty or not. What I do know is there was at least some evidence to convict her the first time. There are also reasons why the appeal is being overturned. A good number of people like to make a judgement primarily on behavior (I don't which is why I'm usually in the minority in a lot of debates on this forum), which is I guess would explain some thinking she's guilty based off her behavior.

I don't judge guilt based on that, hence my first sentence.

One of the obvious problems in the appeal is that evidence that was collected at the same time and analyzed by the same labs using the same methods was deemed uncontaminated and valid when applied to the conviction of Rudy Guede, but contaminated and invalid when applied to the other two convictions. That's clearly illogical. Guede's conviction has been confirmed and his trial process is concluded, so it is not possible to now confirm that the evidence was contaminated and invalid during his trial. I think this presents a big problem for Knox and Sollecito.

Based on the forensic evidence, either all three are guilty, or all three are not guilty ... can't have it both ways.

And why didn't RS continue to back Amanda with an alibi?

Simple answer: she did not have one and neither did he

Her behavior throughout the whole thing was just bazaar.

I go back and forth with she's guilty/not guilty

ita - I too go back and forth on this case ....

And why didn't RS continue to back Amanda with an alibi?

Simple answer: she did not have one and neither did he

Her behavior throughout the whole thing was just bazaar.

I go back and forth with she's guilty/not guilty

finally the news I was expecting!

wtg Merediths family!

"Redoing the appeal is more than a formality. The high court has not yet released its reasoning for its reversal, but among the many points of law discussed in closing arguments on Monday were prosecutorial accusations of everything from blatant errors made by the appellate judge and jury to allegations of corruption against the team of independent experts who nullified forensic evidence. More than a few journalists covering the appeal noted at the time that the so-called independent experts were particularly chummy with Sollecito’s very wealthy family. They were seen by many huddling together in coffee bars in Perugia. But the real issue is the fact that these experts were given only a few choice items of forensic evidence to review. That is likely the crux of why this acquittal was reversed. The prosecution argued that they should have reexamined the entire body of evidence, not just what tied the former lovers to the crime.

The prosecution also asked that Knox’s false accusation against Patrick Lumumba, her former boss at a club where she waitressed, as Kercher’s killer be considered as evidence. After all, the same appellate court upheld her conviction of slander for the accusation. Why not consider it a clue to the mystery, it argued. Finally, the prosecution asked the supreme court to examine the truth behind why Knox and Sollecito turned off their cell phones at the same time—for the first time ever—the night Kercher was murdered."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/03/27/why-retrying-amanda-knox-is-important.html

One of the obvious problems in the appeal is that evidence that was collected at the same time and analyzed by the same labs using the same methods was deemed uncontaminated and valid when applied to the conviction of Rudy Guede, but contaminated and invalid when applied to the other two convictions. That's clearly illogical. Guede's conviction has been confirmed and his trial process is concluded, so it is not possible to now confirm that the evidence was contaminated and invalid during his trial. I think this presents a big problem for Knox and Sollecito.

Based on the forensic evidence, either all three are guilty, or all three are not guilty ... can't have it both ways.

You know this is unfair. The biological evidence present in places one would not expect was far more plentiful for Guede than for Knox or Sollecito, and Meredith's DNA on the knife in Sollecito's flat was LCN. You make it seem as if it was all equal. Guede's DNA was found inside Meredith and on her purse, his palmprint in blood in her room, his bloody footprints walking away from her room. He even admitted to being there. There was no DNA of Amanda at all in Meredith's room, where the murder happened. How could she have killed Meredith and left not a speck of DNA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paladeer