Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they don't give her the DP, when they see the interviews from last night I believe they will regret it.

How can they say they're unable to reach a verdict after this short period of time debating?????????? I feel like throwing up.

Hopefully the Judge will continue to give them options, like appointing a new foreperson and trying again, or possibly asking for a juror to be removed. They all took an oath that THEY COULD BRING DEATH UPON ANOTHER. IF they are now refusing then they are refusing to deliberate; which calls for the jurors to ask for that person to be removed. If this is the case. I hope these jurors know this.

I don't understand what just happened. Did the jury say they were deadlocked?

Why would they say this after only 3 hours of deliberation? Is this a long time for deliberations in this phase?

Disappointing but NOT surprising

Life or death is COMPLETELY different than the guilt phase

100% this.

It's a whole different thing sentencing someone to death. A few may have the thought process that she's young and it's a greater penalty for her to serve the rest of her long life ahead in solitude.

This jury has been in this so long, worked so hard. How can they possibly let it all go down the drain?

The DP phase would have to continue all over again with a new jury. This would be the most painful thing for the TA family. It's absolutely a Fail by this jury.
Let's hope in the next few hours they can resolve this.

IF someone is refusing to render death; they should ask for an alt to replace them asap. EVEN if it's the FOREPERSON.

that's not going to happen. this is the jury we have----if they can't decide, we'll get a whole new jury, or the state can just give up and agree to LWOP. i hope they do that, quite frankly.

At least some of them want her to die right .. it could be worse, it could have been unanimous LWOP .. here's hoping it's just one or two and they break him/her down ..

:seeya: So happy to be here with you all today!

I have tried to mentally prepare myself for whatever sentence this jury gives her... Deep down, I know they will make the right decision, and justice for our dear Travis and his family will be delivered.

I know I am not alone in feeling that any "brownie points" CMja might have made at the very beginning of her allocution were completely canceled out when she pulled out that "Survivor" t-shirt. I believe CMja sealed her fate when she chose that moment to throw more mud on Travis. Totally.Despicable.

She needs to spend the rest of her life with as little interaction with other humans as possible, and her pathetic life needs to end ASAP. I know that's what Travis' family and friends want. And I want them to get what they want.

:scared::scared::scared:
OH, NO!!! As I was wrapping up this post, I heard on HLN that the jury is unable to reach a unanimous decision at this point! Come on, jurors... You've come this far... You can do this... :please::please::please:

I am very surprized at how short a time they deliberated before wanting to come and tell the court. What follows is theory only..... I hope it's not true, but could one of the jurors just flat out said, "I'll never go for DP, no matter what, ever"?

They didn't deliberate very long before saying they were hung. This suggests to me that it's one or two jurors holding out for one or the other against the majority, and maybe so tired they aren't deliberating, but standing firm.

This is not good. It could now mean months until there's a new penalty phase.

I suspect it all goes back to the historical reluctance of juries to vote DP for women. So sexist and so unfair.

(Gotta run off and grab some lunch. Judge has called a recess, so even if they suddenly get a verdict, we wouldn't hear until 1:30 I hope. I need food badly.)

Here is a little gift. The look Jodi shot to Travis' family after it was announced and his poor sisters started to sob. I'll leave it as a link as to not slow anything down on the site.

http://i39.tinypic.com/6jevte.jpg

I think they are just not used to disagreeing. Weren't sure how to proceed. I can't imagine coming this far and not seeing it to the end.

JSS cannot be trusted for one second! No doubt in my mind she would give the murderess LWP! She is pro-defense and most likely anti-death penalty. The jury has a real dilemma - none of them want JA to ever see the outside of a prison wall, but may not all agree on the DP. I''m sooooo worried!

Sherry Stephens was an AZ prosecutor for 20+ years. She is not pro-defense. Not a chance.

I really hope that they come back with some questions or something like JSS suggested. I would love to know exactly what points they are hung up on.

I just do not understand this. I feel so bad for Travis' family. They have been through so much and now this jury is going to really say she doesn't deserve the dp????

Do they realize it's a distinct possibility that she could get out if there's no dp?!?!? How would the members of the jury who don't want the dp feel if she got out and was their neighbor, or wanted to date their son/grandson/nephew/brother???

I'm just in a total state of disbelief. I'm sure she's just absolutely thrilled to pieces-yuck.

This is torture for the Alexanders.. I can't stand seeing them go through so much pain over and over.

The jury needs to end it now. Premeditated. Cruel. CMJA has manipulated everyone. They can end it. They need to. It's not about her family, it's about her paying for what she did. She did this and she brought this on. They agreed they could sentence someone to death. What more do they need?

I feel turned inside out :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member