Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
(BBM)
I'm concerned about that, too, and I believe this remote possibility of parole played a big part in hanging this jury. It would have been so much less difficult to get a unanimous LWOP verdict, IMO. I can't breathe. :anguish:

I maintain my theory.

The five jurors who defied the other seven by not finding felony murder were the potential holdouts.

I say it was one or more of those five who hung the others.

If I find out I was wrong, I'll be the first to post it in 7-point font.

I'm disappointed, and so sad for the Alexanders. But really---there will be no closure for them, even with a verdict. They will be struggling with this for years to come and, while I so hoped that THIS aspect would be completed today (and supported them in their wish for the DP), this may well simply represent a speed bump.

I think it's grossly unfair to blame the jury, or to name-call (they are NOT "horrendous"), or compare them to the Pinellas 12. They convicted Jodi Arias of first degree murder. They determined there was sufficient aggravation to warrant consideration of the DP.

They did a good---and tremendously difficult job. They FINISHED their job the best they could. I believe most are leaving with heavy hearts---hearts that will become heavier as they learn the things we know that they do not yet know. (And my heart hurts for them, knowing they will see the murderess's immediate post-verdict interview, as well as the others---and experience a certain sense of betrayal.)

Another jury will be impaneled. The murderess smugly stated that finding an unpoisoned jury would be impossible. I believe she worked HARD to ensure that (and that is was a terrible error to permit media interviews before the penalty phase was complete)---but that there WILL be another jury. And I believe that a jury that has not had the burden of determining guilt will have more energy to focus on the task now at hand: penalty.

The jurors who've completed their job are weary. They worked long and hard. Perhaps viewed through different eyes, the appropriate sentence will be more easily seen.

I cannot imagine ANY scenario in which Jodi Arias will ever be free again. I do not see her being the belle of the ball in prison, where she will be the newcomer among many seasoned and similarly evil and personality-disordered inmates. If she ends up with LWOP, she will not have the resources to appeal. She will vanish. Very likely, she will be a disciplinary case severe enough to wind up in isolation---and for a woman with her constellation of personality disorder, that may be a fate worse than death. (She's not going to be running Oprah's book club and overseeing recycling. She's likely going to be on her own. Forever. Remember what she is capable of; with nothing left to lose, she will quickly become a disciplinary problem.)

Don't give up hope. This is not a loss; it's a postponement that may be far less unfortunate than many are assuming. Clearer eyes may lead to clearer decisions.

I am grateful for the jury's hard work. It must have been grueling for them. My prayers are with them, just as they are with the Alexanders and Travis's wide circle of loved ones.

It's just so sad.

I guarantee you the numbers will pan out like this

1 LWOP
11 Death

or

2 LWOP
10 Death

It will NOT be more or less than that.

Even Kiefer says he never thought the jury would come back and recommend LIFE ..

Wow. I really don't understand all the anger some here feel towards this jury. Disappointment, yes I can understand that, but vitriol? No, I don't understand it at all. These people have spent over 4 months on this case and have sacrificed much. They found her guilty and couldn't come to a unanimous decision. Let them be.

Per HLN, Jodi is headed back to jail and will not be allowed to give any interviews.

Here's Troy Hayden's tweet about family at Grand Canyon today :

@mollymydear1111: @troyhaydenfox10
The Arias Family is visiting the Grand Canyon pic.twitter.com/bw1ZdCNT53” intetesting

Shows just how much love :rolleyes: there is for the convicted murderess in the family unit. They didn't care enough about Jodi to remain close to the courthouse in the event of a verdict. :moo:

I hope that from now until the penalty phase is restarted, CMJA spends every day on Sheriff Joe's chain gang and every night in isolation.

Per reporter on the AZcentral live feed:

Per Sheriff Joe, no media interviews for her will be allowed.
She will be held in closed custody, 23 hours a day.

Does anybody besides me think it would be a good idea to start a thread for support for JUAN? He's going to be under so much pressure to cave and give her LWOP - I want him to come back with both barrels loaded!

It is not Juan's decision. It is the County Attorney's decision.

personally, i have said nothing regarding the jury until this very day. and this is why. you are not truly dedicated or great or even admirable if you do 3/4 of a job and then quit. that's my opinion and i'm stickin' with it.

they failed this family. those siblings NEEDED this to be over. therefore, as far as i'm concerned, shame on this jury. they were cowards and they quit at the most important point in this entire process.

That is an unfair accusation. You don't know what happened. How is it their fault if one or two refused to go along with the DP? How can you blame the other jurors for that and accuse them falsely of QUITTING? I am ashamed of us here that are bashing this jury. They voted UNANIMOUS for a GUILTY VERDICT for AGGRAVATED PREMEDITATED MURDER. They deserve a gold star, and not derision and bashing.

Rather than risk a TO, I'm backing away.

Time to go look at happy pics of Travis and enjoy my family.

Love you all! Surely I'll be back at it tomorrow....

Please tell me JA won't get to testify again...PLEASE!

She's already been convicted of murder 1, w/extreme cruelty ...the only thing left is to decided her sentence.

Why would JA get to testify again other than 'maybe' her "dog and pony, and Jodi" Allocution show??!

If everything has already been decided, will they back track?

i just don't get the shock, disbelief, devastation, condemnation, etc., etc., etc. - first, the monster was convicted of first-degree premeditated murder, it was unanimous, nothing is going to change that, and i don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that it won't hold up during the appeal process. second, an extremely bleak outcome still awaits the monster, whether it's the death penalty, life without the possibility of parole or life with, imo, the slim possibility of parole, many, many moons down the road. further, the monster just got finished looking into the eyes of the jurors, many of whom clearly wanted to see her die - this doesn't strike me as much of a victory for ja and the defense, or much of a loss in terms of the prosecution or the alexander family.

sadly, the alexander family will have to endure a few more months of this and, equally sad, they may have to revisit it yet again, decades from now should ja get life with the possibility of parole. nonetheless, the jury clearly and loudly declared ja a murderer, sided with the alexander family and the prosecution, dismissed ja's lies, and made sure that ja's future will be deservedly miserable.

I agree 100%. I'm kind of puzzled by the hatred some are directing at the jury. Some people are acting as if she were set free today. I understand that the Alexander family needs closure, but she's been convicted of 1st degree murder. I don't think there's a chance that she will ever be free. Furthermore, I don't think this new phase is a done deal. It wouldn't be surprise me if there was a plea offer of LWOP and I think that would not be a win for her. She is convinced that she will be out one day.

What is this "win" talk? LOL.
You can't win after having lost the big one: aka the murder in first degree count.
She LOST and then the jury had to decide by how much she had lost.
She didn't win ****.

Totally BIZZARO that they went to the Grand Canyon while their daughter/sibling was awaiting a sentencing verdict - possibly a DP verdict. Maybe that's harsh of me and I shouldn't criticize. I've never walked in their shoes (thankfully), but I can't imagine going off and enjoying a mini vacation while awaiting such a serious sentence. The more I read about this family, the more dysfunctional it sounds.

I'm reserving judgement until I find out where the parents were, if they were at the Grand Canyon then I will :banghead:

The Jurors did a good job. Bottom line, last phase, its a hard vote, I get it. Wish they knew when they were ripping their hearts out..JA was getting hair and make-up done.

You know who I am proud of?
The ones who refused to lower their decision from Death to Life to get it over with. Those are the ones who will be in my heart as well as the family becuase I can NOT imagine how frustrating and upsetting it must be that they wanted to finish this job for the family with the right verdict and were unable to do so.

I agree, there should be counseling for all Jurors who are involved in any case like this.

I do hope anyone who takes a call for Jury duty takes it serious x100. When asked the question can you put someone on Death Row, when you say yes, please be absolutely sure becuase honestly I have never seen a case more clear for the DP since OJ and punishment for CA.

I could not agree more and I am so glad thejudge allowed Jodi to go on her Media binge because in the end ultimately her desire to be the center of attention will be her downfall. the new jury will get to see the ridiculous demands Jodi made for makeup and hair and no prison stripes and the stark contrast between her demeanor in court and her demeanor under the lights. She has sealed her own fate in my opinion. I can't wait to watch Jodi watch herself be her own worst witness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels