Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something just slammed me in the head. I was off on another site trying to order a comforter set and boom....

If you listen to the reading of the "verdict" it sounds like the foreman put the information in the wrong paper all together. The first time they were dead locked they informed the Judge properly on the proper piece of paper. This time what the court thought was a question turned into a Verdict but the woman reading it stumbled all over herself, like the paperwork was not meant to be read like that.

I think the Jury decided they were done with this, in a rush or maybe just exhaustion, put the dead lock in the verdict paper instead of the paper to inform the judge that once again they are dead locked. That is why everything is weird. We were told it was a question, then it turned into a verdict, it was chaos, then the Verdict was read like a child had scribbled in what should not be there.

I don't know maybe I am mumbling, don't mind me. It just didn't sound right all around.

While it was happening I thought the same thing. It sounded odd, but then I don't know the formality on what a hung jury does. I see what you are saying. I was confused because it was being reported as a question. I was at my daughters softball game coaching 3rd base and my Twitter was going nuts. Every last tweet was "The jury has a question" then I would get one saying "Jodi is crying" I was having a total moment of confusion. I'm thinking why is she crying over a question?

Agreed. I've thought about this a lot the last few days. Just because you are able to render a DP in a case does not automatically mean you think it's suitable in THIS case, regardless of her eligibility for it. If it was automatic for this crime, why even have the penalty phase with jurors? ( not to you specifically GoAskAllie)

I was thinking about it like this. Say you're a strong supporter of DP , but you can only deliver it once and you've got 2 defendants. One is JA and one is some person who's killed 10 children and buried them in the yard. Obviously ONE outweighs the other in terms of which one is more ' deserving ' of the death penalty. It could be these jurors had in their mind that because of one or two items, or lack thereof , they didn't feel it was fitting. Some may have thought death is too good for her and a torturous life in prison would be more suitable and cause her more SUFFERING. Who knows? I know this, the next jury will not mess around no matter the outcome, they will know the state expects a verdict and I bet there are folks right now all over AZ hoping for a jury summons in their mailbox tomorrow !
If I was a juror, I would not reflect on another case from a different time and place. It does not apply.

I am pizzed that the media is showing video of the jurors. They chose not to do a press conference and their privacy should be protected the same way it has been during trial! I would be furious!

Just jumping in here tonite...CMA absolutely maligned and controlled at least some of these jurors. I wonder if she will be able to control the next set?

See, ponytail could have taken this bus and went home with out being "bothered" by the media. I still don't get why he walked right out, right by the media then of all things, bought a bus pass and waited for the bus.

This jury has me stumped the more this goes on.

Maybe he's a free spirit? Maybe he had had enough of his fellow jurors and didn't want to ride the bus with them? Maybe he didn't really think it through or realize that the media would be pouncing on him? Who knows. I don't feel sorry for him. He made the choice to walk out on his own and get his own bus. He should know by now that the media are like vultures and would be after him.

While it was happening I thought the same thing. It sounded odd, but then I don't know the formality on what a hung jury does. I see what you are saying. I was confused because it was being reported as a question. I was at my daughters softball game coaching 3rd base and my Twitter was going nuts. Every last tweet was "The jury has a question" then I would get one saying "Jodi is crying" I was having a total moment of confusion. I'm thinking why is she crying over a question?

No, it's just odd because Arizona puts all three options on the verdict form.

Speculating is so eff'ing worthless, unless one is really ruminating over objective facts and the speculation is one that can be proven true or not. It's utterly pointless in connection with this jury. The fact is that up to four, reportedly, could not embrace the DP in this case. I am beyond sick and tired of the vilification of the jurors...and the holdouts. Seriously! Attacking them is no better than the two-bit talking heads who contribute to the 3-ring circus. This is the time for somber reflection that will allow for the State to improve on their case. Jodi is not the run-of-the-mill criminal. She is a satanic snake in the grass that is much more difficult to snare. We.KNEW.this! Jodi talked about second chances in her most recent interview, right? She.totally.believes.in.them! Guess what, Jodi. So do I. So.DO.I. We get a second chance with a new jury.

I wish HLN would research the statistics on what 2nd round jury's have done in AZ before they start running their mouths about what the prosecution is going to do or not do. I so need to turn the channel.

When the civil suit was first discussed, one of the lawyers (AZlawyer, iirc) explained that the statute of limitations on the civil suit (2 yrs) has long since run. I asked a trial lawyer I know, too, and he agreed. I also did a little research myself and discovered the some states have passed legislation tolling the SOL in homicide cases, but I don't think AZ is among them.

Nope, I looked up the statute a while back (like weeks ago) and posted it. 2 years after the murder OR 1 year after sentence. I don't know if it was "Verdict" or "Sentence"...........egads.......hold and I'll look again.......http://www.azleg.gov/search/oop/qfullhit.asp?CiWebHitsFile=/ars/12/00511.htm&CiRestriction=12-542
F. This section applies to all cases in which the victim files a civil action within one year after the final disposition of the defendant's criminal proceedings, regardless of when the defendant committed the criminal conduct.
http://www.azleg.gov/search/oop/qfullhit.asp?CiWebHitsFile=/ars/13/04401.htm&CiRestriction=13-4401
10. "Final disposition" means the ultimate termination of the criminal prosecution of a defendant by a trial court, including dismissal, acquittal or imposition of a sentence.

I really wish I could comprehend how they could all vote in the aggravation phase to proceed with the death penalty then not able to vote on it?
Why not stop there?

Just jumping in here tonite...CMA absolutely maligned and controlled at least some of these jurors. I wonder if she will be able to control the next set?

They convicted her of 1st degree murder, she didn't control any of them. :banghead:

Good evening everyone...
:seeya:

HLN with Vinnie reporting the jury vote was 8-4 for the DP.

As good as Juan was, will he really be able to pull it off the second time around, assuming a jury can be seated?

At this moment I wonder if it's worth the try.

:truce:

I agree with you. I've never been in the Alexander's situation nor do I ever want to be, however, what if there is a hung jury again? (Like you mentioned 8/4 split this time.)

Would like JA to go away - locked up for life never to be remembered again.

:twocents:

Kudo's to the 8 jurors who voted for DP !

As to the 4 jurors who voted for life : either they lied about being able to vote for the DP -- or -- they "bought" Jodi's "dog and powerpoint show" ...

These 4 obviously bought into her lies, and may have been influenced by her family members who were brought into the courtroom as her "props" ...

Telling that the convicted murderer's famliy was no where around today ... :doh: they were no longer needed ...

Despicable ...

:banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members