Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Juan didn't have to because he knew that Stephen Alexander had it in is statement to the jury :)

Thanks to Cmja's delays that was over a week ago... Juan could have reminded the jury of the Alexander's impact statements... To take the focus back to where it needed to be...away from cmja.

I feel for the Alexander family and for the jury. I can't imagine making a decision like this- even though they are a death qualified jury. How does one ever (rhetorically speaking) ever become qualified to choose to end a life? It's so weird. I heard about this case, like a year or so ago randomly and immediately thought death penalty but now it's like it needs to be all over and ended either way- LWOP or DP so Travis Alexander and his family and loved ones can rest in peace and move on. Jodi Arias needs to just go to her cell and realize the world will move on. There's going to be another case, another media blitz, and she's just going to get older and no one will continue to care. Everyone will forget her. Do I blame Juan? No. If he were in FL I know of a woman who'd be in prison and a man who might be up for first degree murder and not second degree murder, but I digress. He did a good job and should be proud- my opinion is that I couldn't make this decision. In the beginning of this trial, I thought I could. But now? I don't know. It's too much weight.

Thank you for caring. It actually means a lot to me.

Hi Nan, the law of attraction was around a long time ago when I was a youngster. From what my friends told me and from my experience.... if you want a boyfriend don't hang your head and miss what you don't have. Enjoy your life and good things will come to you as you are shining and happy with who you are. Good thing I was happy with myself as would be boyfriends came out from now where. I don't know what you are struggling with but it comes back to being comfortable with who you are and what you have to offer... don't pay someone for their advice as it comes from within.

Moo

I saw the video on AZcentral of jurors getting on the bus. And even though I had read it in the courtroom watchers' descriptions, I was just struck by how many older people there were. Middle-aged and older. I only saw about 3 younger ones...the two guys in the back and the girl in the middle with the blue jeans on.

I really think age played a factor in this. Think about it...some of these jurors probably have kids Jodi's age. And they know how long life can be...they thought Jodi still has a long life ahead of her, even if it is in prison. I really really feel in my gut this played a big part in the death phase. Yes, it's true that that also means that Travis' death would strike them even harder b/c he was young...but for once I agree with the THs who said they might have formed some connection with Jodi after spending 5 months with her in the courtroom. So sad, makes me think was the defense trying to drag this out on purpose? was Nurmi talking so slowly on purpse? I now think it was done on purpose in the hopes of this "connection" with Jodi, even if she was lying the whole time. Guess lying doesn't mean anything anymore, even if it about a little thing like slaughtering another human being.

Looking at the jurors filing in on the buses, I kind of see why there were 4 holdouts. They've probably never in their whole lives encountered someone like CMJA before, so sweet and innocent-looking, yet evil. They just couldn't wrap their minds around that, I believe. I will be very interested in seeing who these holdouts were and what there ages were.

BBM.
Very interesting observations. The thing is though; these observations have nothing to do with the instructions JSS read to them prior to their deliberations. It's time for a change in our "system". Long overdue IMO.

Did anyone get shocked like I did when the sentence was read. The wording made it sound like she was about to be sentenced to death because the lady paused right at the point she said it. I dont know what the actual wording was, but It went something like this....

"We the jury sentence her to" PAUSE "not unanamous verdict" or something really weird like that.

It floored me. I thought they were fixing to say "sentence her to DEATH"

It took me a few seconds to comprehend what the woman had just said! I've never heard it put that way!

And why is it in these high profile cases that the person reading the verdict always stumbles at bit while announcing the verdict?

Her interviews will come in this time so that will crucify her w her poor attitude. But any advantage she got from them seeing her every day for 5 months will not be there this time (at least as much, I imagine she will testify but it will be shorter(

She was smug and arrogant and thought she was just SOO adorable during her interviews way back in 2008 (or was it 2009?). That was 5 years ago and it was still relatively early in the process. People might cut her some slack about not wanting to get caught (who WOULD want to get caught) and lying early on. She's older now, it's 5 years later and she STILL refuses to take any responsibility for what she did. She's been gaming the system all this time. She gave interviews right after being convicted and WHILE the jury was deliberating, still full of herself, still vain, still smug, still bashing the victim, and still refusing to say she's sorry for anything other than that she got caught. That is NOT going to help her. Did she cook her own goose with all those interviews? That remains to be seen.

There's a message from one of the alternate jurors J17 on the State vs FB page. They talk about how hard it was being an alternate, how hard it must have been for the jury to make the decision they did and to remember everyone is human. http://www.facebook.com/Justice4Travis?ref=stream&hc_location=timeline

Here's the rose coloured glasses for those still looking

[video=youtube;YJTBLd-72fg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJTBLd-72fg[/video]

ETA that ticking noise in the background is eery. I like the idea of the "program for one" though.

I'm a liberal, and I would vote for the DP in a heartbeat.

Me too. [video=youtube;F-rLVbLWZgI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-rLVbLWZgI[/video]

I could post 6000+ videos just like this one. Why, in a world where innocent children suffer and die in pain, does Jodi deserve to live? :facepalm:

Sheriff Joe says at his jail he had to provide cable because of some federal law (which is totally ridiculous)...but at his jail - they only broadcast The Disney Channel and The Weather Channel I think.

HEH! That brought to mind one of the scenarios in one of The Addams Family movies. The kids got sent to camp. They would not conform to the uber-happy atmosphere of the camp and were forced to stay in a cute cottage and watch things like Disney movies until their attitude changed.

There's a message from one of the alternate jurors J17 on the State vs FB page. They talk about how hard it was being an alternate, how hard it must have been for the jury to make the decision they did and to remember everyone is human. http://www.facebook.com/Justice4Travis?ref=stream&hc_location=timeline

Here's the rose coloured glasses for those still looking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJTBLd-72fg

ETA that ticking noise in the background is eery. I like the idea of the "program for one" though.
I couldn't figure out what that ticking noise was. Maybe a ceiling fan going 'round and 'round? It was driving me crazy as well.

Sheriff Joe says at his jail he had to provide cable because of some federal law (which is totally ridiculous)...but at his jail - they only broadcast The Disney Channel and The Weather Channel I think.

Yes! I heard that from Sheriff Joe and that made me smile :)

Not surprised that it's a *federal* law that requires cable in the prisons :/
I don't even have it at home!

I almost feel like stations like HLN go overboard in trying not only to show all that goes on in court (even though cameras are allowed) but the way they go about things. Every single show from afternoon to evening were about this trial. And to create another show for the cmja reality show is just overboard. It is bad when they even have showbiz tonight reporting on these real life cases! :twocents:

And still why wasn't cmja wearing prison stripes?

Hi Nan, the law of attraction was around a long time ago when I was a youngster. From what my friends told me and from my experience.... if you want a boyfriend don't hang your head and miss what you don't have. Enjoy your life and good things will come to you as you are shining and happy with who you are. Good thing I was happy with myself as would be boyfriends came out from now where. I don't know what you are struggling with but it comes back to being comfortable with who you are and what you have to offer... don't pay someone for their advice as it comes from within.

Moo

Thanks, Flinders. I've just watched "The Secret" and it is just as you describe the Law of Attraction. I'm going to read some books about "mindfulness" because I just think I've gotten away from who I really am, deep down.

I think this trial has struck me a blow and I feel somehow as though my moral compass is not pointing to true north. Hard to explain but I don't know how someone as good as Travis was could be cut down so young. I don't even understand how someone like Jodi could do such an about-face in her life to end up where she is. This trial has left me seeing down as up and dark as light. So much pain for everyone who is touched by it and for nothing. I guess I need a break from this nightmare trial.

Well, I've got to hit the hay. 'Night everyone! I've appreciated being able to decompress with you all after today's verdict.

Jodi had makeup on in court. Looks like she waxed or severely tweezed the brows, too. She never had makeup on before the makeup demands for the media tour.

Several of the reporters have said Jodi demanded they give her base, powder, shadow and waterproof mascara; not film her putting it on; not film the prison stripes and cuffs.

Now, what I want to know is why she was allowed to keep this stuff in her cell. No pencils or fungus cream, but makeup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean