Canada - Laura Babcock, 23, Toronto, 26 June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, SL said that LB took his iPad. On the iPad under settings>privacy there is location services. If that is turned on, SL could use it to find his iPad. There is also an app called Find My iPhone to find any iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Mac that he or LE could use to find his iPad using another iOS device. While finding the iPad does not necessarily mean that is where LB is but it may give a clue to her general location. If someone else has the iPad then perhaps they may have information where she it. I doubt it but it is a possibility.

IIRC, SL loaned LB his iPad, which SL eventually tried to have TPS examine. So SL must have got it back in order to ask TPS to examine it about a month after anyone last heard from LB.

His iPad, her SIM card, so TPS cried foul and would not examine it.

IIRC, SL loaned LB his iPad, which SL eventually tried to have TPS examine. So SL must have got it back in order to ask TPS to examine it about a month after anyone last heard from LB.

His iPad, her SIM card, so TPS cried foul and would not examine it.
Woodland, I'm not sure if you're stating this as an opinion, fact, or both. Do you have a link? TIA.

Here is what appears to be the first post on the iPad on this thread - page 2, post #38.

Are Toronto Police telling the truth?

Check out this NP story on the LB investigation.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...pect-dellen-millard-before-her-disappearance/

The boyfriend confirms that he gave police Dellen Millard's name right from the very beginning! He confirms that he told police about the phone records. I believe him! He was obviously desperate to find LB.

Check out the response from Toronto Police Investigator Sgt Stephen Woodhouse:

"The original investigators tasked with finding Ms. Babcock were never aware of any relationship with Dellen Millard, Sgt. Woodhouse said. The phone records didn’t come to police’s attention at the time either, he said."

Two highlights from the National Post article.

When Shawn Lerner last saw Laura Babcock, he checked her into a Toronto hotel, took her out for dinner and lent her his iPad to look for apartments.

Mr. Lerner said police have recently interviewed him regarding Ms. Babcock’s disappearance, as well as several of Ms. Babcock’s friends. They have also noted the serial number of the iPad Mr. Lerner lent to the woman.

Further to the iPad issue, this is from page 3, post #67.

Personally I think SL has unintentionally made himself a POI in the LB case.

I find it unusual that an ex boyfriend would have access to banking info, phone records, facebook logins and other info that he's not supposed to have.

Also, if her sim card was in his ipad. Couldn't he easily have made the calls.

Looking for a post in between to confirm how her sim card came to be in SL's iPad.

Further to the iPad issue, this is from page 3, post #67.

Looking for a post in between to confirm how her sim card came to be in SL's iPad.

Wait? Is her SIM card still in his IPad and not in her phone? I assumed it was given back to her to put back into her phone.

Thank you!
Seeing it now, makes a lot of these other posts make much more sense.

It is very interesting to read some of the comments on some of the photos of friends. One in particular but am leery to say anything as I am fairly new here and don't want to break the rules.

How do you all know who has been cleared by HPS and who hasn't?

If I'm not mistaken, the only friend LE has publicly cleared is AM, and that was only because a reporter specifically asked about him at a press conference.
OT for this thread, but since the question has been raised, I believe today is the first time we've heard this:
If there is a third suspect, Kavanagh said police do not have any leads on who it might be.

Millard’s girlfriend, whose identity is protected by a court-ordered publication ban, is not believed to be involved, the detective said.

“Millard’s girlfriend has been cleared of that,” he said.
http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...rd_suspect_exists_lead_investigator_says.html

More past discussion on the iPad.
BBM

They may or may not have an iPad to compare it to but what is truly unfortunate and truly inexcusable is that way back in July of last year right after LB disappeared her boyfriend asked Toronto Police to get a subpoena so that Roger's could trace the location and usage of the iPad. Toronto Police did NOTHING with this request! If you read FB account the boyfriend - desperate for help - appealed to any hackers who would know how to trace the iPad.

I don't know how the family of LB feels right now about the response from Toronto Police but if I was them I would be DEMANDING that the inspector involved - Sgt Stephen Woodhouse be fired! In any other line of work anyone who screwed up so horribly in their job would be fired in a second. Of course this will never happen. According to msm reports Sgt Woodhouse is in "another position". Probably got a big promotion for screwing up! That's how it seems to work at TPS! A former head of homicide who was a miserable failure in that position was promoted to deputy Chief!

Wait? Is her SIM card still in his IPad and not in her phone? I assumed it was given back to her to put back into her phone.

Can you link something, or is it just an assumption?

Personally I think SL has unintentionally made himself a POI in the LB case.

I find it unusual that an ex boyfriend would have access to banking info, phone records, facebook logins and other info that he's not supposed to have.

Also, if her sim card was in his ipad. Couldn't he easily have made the calls.

I believe the ipad and sim card were both his, he loaned them to her. He tried to get it tracked as he has the info on them, he is the purchaser. He wanted that done to help find her but he couldn't get it done. Her phone records were not something he had access to, they arrived by snail mail to her parents house. I have not heard of him accessing her banking or Facebook so I have no comment on those.

This article says that phone bills were mailed to her parents house: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...pect-dellen-millard-before-her-disappearance/

This one says that the sim card and ipad were his: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/04/dellen-millard/

Can you link something, or is it just an assumption?
It seems more than one assumption has been made, and we should clear it up right here and now before it goes any further.

LB's aunt mentioned that LB visited a strip club called Treasures in Mississauga prior to her disappearance. The website for the club appears to no longer be active, and another website says Treasures is now called Café Atlantis (which does have a working website).

Also, here is a disturbing article from 2010 about a young woman forced into the sex trade - Treasures just happens to be the club she worked at.

From what I can tell, mention of the SIM card originated with this FB post by SL. He offers to give the SIM card number to another poster who offered to help him track it. Sounds to me it is his SIM card. He likely has it recorded along with the iPad's serial number.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/448222475198966/permalink/449184785102735/

I don't find anything which says he retrieved the iPad or the SIM card. Nor can I locate a statement which says he asked LE to "examine" the iPad. Rather, he wanted them to track it.

The phone records came from the hard copy mailed to the parents' home, as parcheesy pointed out.
In June 2012, Ms. Babcock had just left home and her phone bills were being mailed to her parents’ house. After she went missing, the family started scrutinizing the calls listed on the document.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...pect-dellen-millard-before-her-disappearance/

ETA: Regarding a subpoena to track the iPad, LE would need probable cause to obtain one. This goes back to what I said the other night about LE facing limitations when an able adult goes missing. With no signs of foul play, it's difficult to show probable cause. Once DM became a murder suspect, and because of the numerous calls LB made to his number just prior to her disappearance, LE was able to show probable cause and advance the investigation. JMO

ETA: Regarding a subpoena to track the iPad, LE would need probable cause to obtain one. This goes back to what I said the other night about LE facing limitations when an able adult goes missing. With no signs of foul play, it's difficult to show probable cause. Once DM became a murder suspect, and because of the numerous calls LB made to his number just prior to her disappearance, LE was able to show probable cause and advance the investigation. JMO

I know SL "loaned" the ipad to LB but I wonder if the fact she did not bring it back would have been enough of a probable cause for a subpoena? By basically calling it "stolen". I imagine, as her friend, he would hate to do that though. I have my doubts that would be enough of a reason for them to issue the subpoena anyway but if it was possible, it would have been worth it.

You are right, and even then, LE would still need something to be allowed to search the farm, very likely, her phone was traced to that location at one point just before she went missing.

There are so many holes in this case. These are the questions that I wish were answered by LE.

1) when was the last time LB saw her parents
2) when was the dog dropped off... before or after the last time that she was seen in Toronto
3) was SL aware that she had dropped off the dog
4) was there a note with the dog explaining anything at all - like when she would be back

There is no timeline from the parents... just from SL (which , thank goodness had the guts to pursue her whereabouts).

This was a young, educated girl regardless of what mess she fell into. I believe if she wanted to disappear, she would have but I don't think she would have left her dog. It seemed too important to her.

I don't have an ipad but for anyone that does, maybe you can answer this: We know that the ipad and sim belonged to SL but is it free to use or something? Otherwise, wouldn't he get a bill with details of when used, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2