SIDEBAR #15- Arias/Alexander forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the movie We Need To Talk About Kevin this afternoon, which led me to look the movie up on Google, which led me to the book (haven't read it, but ordered it), which led me to the psychology of the concept of "The Bad Seed". I found an article that I thought might be of interest to WSers. It kind of reminded me of what JA might have been when she was young. Here's a passage from the article:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psychologist Robert Hare is devoted to the study of psychopathy. His research may upset a lot of people because until the psychopath came into focus, it was possible to believe that bad people were just good people with bad parents or childhood trauma. But Hare’s research suggested that some people behaved badly even when there had been no early trauma nor bad parenting. Moreover, since psychopaths’ brains are in fundamental ways different from ours, talking them into being like us might not be easy. Indeed, to this day, no one has found a way to do so (more information at hare.org).

For to many people the very idea of psychopathy in childhood is inconceivable. [...] Many people feel uncomfortable applying the term psychopath to children. They cite ethical and practical problems with pinning what amounts to a pejorative label on a youngster. But clinical experience and empirical research clearly indicate that the raw materials of the disorder can and do exist in children. Psychopathy does not suddenly spring, unannounced, into existence into adulthood. [...]

Clinical and anecdotal evidence indicates that most parents of children later diagnosed as psychopaths were painfully aware that something was seriously wrong even before the child started school. Although all children begin their development unrestrained by social boundaries, certain children remain stubbornly immune to socializing pressures. They are inexplicably “different” from normal children – more difficult, willful, aggressive, and deceitful; harder to “relate to” or get close to; less she puts on her sweet and contrite act we’re generally tormented by her behavior. She’s truant, sexually active, and always trying to steal money from my purse.” – Robert Hare, Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us.

http://www.health-matrix.net/2010/07/18/good-parents-may-plant-bad-seeds/
- more good articles:
http://greenheritagenews.com/the-“bad-seed’’-diagnosis-and-the-casey-anthony-case/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...mon-think--spot-danger-signs-young-three.html

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/criminal_mind/psychology/psychopath/1.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BBM The words "generally tormented by her behavior" seems what Travis' friends may have sensed in JA. I think, because, to me, Travis was sort of naive about JA and more emotionally involved than his friends, it took him more time to realize what JA really was- a psychopath. That was such a mistake for him. But, maybe, he was trying to help her?
I find the concept of The Bad Seed very compelling and so scary. I, kind of, feel sorry for JA's parents. It must be very hard to accept that your child might be/is a psychopath. Who would want to believe that in your own child and imagine all the guilt. Her parents should've gotten her help, tho'- I would have tried- even if it seems as if it wouldn't have helped anyway because they were born a "bad seed".
I'm going to look into more of the concept of the "bad seed". It's very interesting.
Has anyone read We Need To Talk About Kevin ? Was it good? I thought the movie was very good. The movie The Bad Seed was a great movie, also- with Pattie McCormick playing a stellar Rhoda.

PCL-R psychopath test by Robert Hare
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This test has incredible power in the American criminal justice system. It's used to make decisions such as what kind of sentence a criminal gets and whether an inmate is released on parole. It has even been used to help decide whether someone should be put to death....

Ultimately, this work led Hare to theorize that people with psychopathic personalities were essentially emotionally deaf. They simply did not have the capacity to feel, in a firsthand way, emotions like empathy and love and remorse.

"It's sort of like trying to explain to a colorblind person what the color red is," Hare says. "Can we teach a colorblind person how to see red, what red is? You can have all the dictionary definitions you want, but the person will never quite get it.".....

Canada's National Parole Board. It wanted the test:
"They said quite literally, 'What we want to do is give everybody this test, and then have the test score written in big red numbers on the front of the file. No parole board should be able to make a decision without having some knowledge of whether or not somebody is psychopathic!' "......

Use of the PCL-R continues to spread; it's now mandated by statute in several states....

And the test has helped cause a shift in our ideas about where crime comes from as well.

The idea that criminal behavior is primarily a product of poor environments has much less power today, in part because Hare's work seemed to teach us that crime resides inside the person. Inborn personality traits, like empathy, can influence whether people participate in crime...

Those who had low scores on the PCL-R, about 20 to 25 percent would be re-convicted within four or five years," says Hare. "In the high group, it was about 80 percent."

So a parolee who scored high had an 80 percent chance of committing another offense within the next five years. Low scorers had just a 20 percent chance of recidivism....

When you think about criminals this way — as people who are almost genetically predisposed to crime — you are much less likely to invest in their rehabilitation than if you saw their acts as the product of unfortunate environmental circumstances.....

After all, once someone is labeled as a psychopath, what can you do with him?

Nothing but lock him away.

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/26/136619689/can-a-test-really-tell-whos-a-psychopath

I wonder if they gave JA this test???

I watched the movie We Need To Talk About Kevin this afternoon, which led me to look the movie up on Google, which led me to the book (haven't read it, but ordered it), which led me to the psychology of the concept of "The Bad Seed". I found an article that I thought might be of interest to WSers. It kind of reminded me of what JA might have been when she was young. Here's a passage from the article:
Psychologist Robert Hare is devoted to the study of psychopathy. His research may upset a lot of people because until the psychopath came into focus, it was possible to believe that bad people were just good people with bad parents or childhood trauma. But Hare’s research suggested that some people behaved badly even when there had been no early trauma nor bad parenting. Moreover, since psychopaths’ brains are in fundamental ways different from ours, talking them into being like us might not be easy. Indeed, to this day, no one has found a way to do so (more information at hare.org).

For to many people the very idea of psychopathy in childhood is inconceivable. [...] Many people feel uncomfortable applying the term psychopath to children. They cite ethical and practical problems with pinning what amounts to a pejorative label on a youngster. But clinical experience and empirical research clearly indicate that the raw materials of the disorder can and do exist in children. Psychopathy does not suddenly spring, unannounced, into existence into adulthood. [...]

Clinical and anecdotal evidence indicates that most parents of children later diagnosed as psychopaths were painfully aware that something was seriously wrong even before the child started school. Although all children begin their development unrestrained by social boundaries, certain children remain stubbornly immune to socializing pressures. They are inexplicably “different” from normal children – more difficult, willful, aggressive, and deceitful; harder to “relate to” or get close to; less she puts on her sweet and contrite act we’re generally tormented by her behavior. She’s truant, sexually active, and always trying to steal money from my purse.” – Robert Hare, Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us.

http://www.health-matrix.net/2010/07/18/good-parents-may-plant-bad-seeds/
- more good articles:
http://greenheritagenews.com/the-“bad-seed’’-diagnosis-and-the-casey-anthony-case/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...mon-think--spot-danger-signs-young-three.html

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/criminal_mind/psychology/psychopath/1.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BBM The words "generally tormented by her behavior" seems what Travis' friends may have sensed in JA. I think, because, to me, Travis was sort of naive about JA and more emotionally involved than his friends, it took him more time to realize what JA really was- a psychopath. That was such a mistake for him. But, maybe, he was trying to help her?
I find the concept of The Bad Seed very compelling and so scary. I, kind of, feel sorry for JA's parents. It must be very hard to accept that your child might be/is a psychopath. Who would want to believe that in your own child and imagine all the guilt. Her parents should've gotten her help, tho'- I would have tried- even if it seems as if it wouldn't have helped anyway because they were born a "bad seed".
I'm going to look into more of the concept of the "bad seed". It's very interesting.
Has anyone read We Need To Talk About Kevin ? Was it good? I thought the movie was very good. The movie The Bad Seed was a great movie, also- with Pattie McCormick playing a stellar Rhoda.

I haven't read We Need to Talk About Kevin, but...
I have read Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of Psychopaths Among Us. I highly recommend this book. I always have 2 copies on hand, one for me (which I often consult) and another to give whenever I meet someone who could benefit from the info therein. It was reading Dr. Hare's book that finally led to my understanding the ex's pshyco madness my children and I lived through after escaping with (only) our lives, thus enabling me to provide them with logical reasoning as to why "papa was strange in his head". That was the year it was first published so he gave lots of local and national radio/tv interviews which expanded on the book. Very insightful and well researched, written in layman's terms.
He also validates what the victims are put through - a rare thing in my experience.
I ♥ Dr. Hare :blushing: and I read all his material I can get my hands on.

Can someone please Ytube the song- Dreaming of You by Selena for me. Such a good song by a great singer- RIP. Thanks.

PCL-R psychopath test by Robert Hare
This test has incredible power in the American criminal justice system. It's used to make decisions such as what kind of sentence a criminal gets and whether an inmate is released on parole. It has even been used to help decide whether someone should be put to death....

Ultimately, this work led Hare to theorize that people with psychopathic personalities were essentially emotionally deaf. They simply did not have the capacity to feel, in a firsthand way, emotions like empathy and love and remorse.

"It's sort of like trying to explain to a colorblind person what the color red is," Hare says. "Can we teach a colorblind person how to see red, what red is? You can have all the dictionary definitions you want, but the person will never quite get it.".....

Canada's National Parole Board. It wanted the test:
"They said quite literally, 'What we want to do is give everybody this test, and then have the test score written in big red numbers on the front of the file. No parole board should be able to make a decision without having some knowledge of whether or not somebody is psychopathic!' "......

Use of the PCL-R continues to spread; it's now mandated by statute in several states....

And the test has helped cause a shift in our ideas about where crime comes from as well.

The idea that criminal behavior is primarily a product of poor environments has much less power today, in part because Hare's work seemed to teach us that crime resides inside the person. Inborn personality traits, like empathy, can influence whether people participate in crime...

Those who had low scores on the PCL-R, about 20 to 25 percent would be re-convicted within four or five years," says Hare. "In the high group, it was about 80 percent."

So a parolee who scored high had an 80 percent chance of committing another offense within the next five years. Low scorers had just a 20 percent chance of recidivism....

When you think about criminals this way — as people who are almost genetically predisposed to crime — you are much less likely to invest in their rehabilitation than if you saw their acts as the product of unfortunate environmental circumstances.....

After all, once someone is labeled as a psychopath, what can you do with him?

Nothing but lock him away.

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/26/136619689/can-a-test-really-tell-whos-a-psychopath

I wonder if they gave JA this test???

BBM
What if someday, a genetic marker for psychopathy is found and a prenatal test for that marker (or whatever it is called) is developed? It might lead to elective abortions if a person thinks that their child will be a psychopath. (I have no problems with other people's decisions.)

I was just having this conversation with my husband. His belief is that some people are bad seeds and we got talking about genetic prenatal tests. It would not surprise me if researchers were looking at a genetic component. I really have not read much about psychopathy but your info about Robert Hare is interesting.

I loved The Bad Seed! Too bad all killers, rapists, child abusers, animal abusers are not hit by lightning. I am going to have to watch the Kevin movie. I ordered it from Netflix and it was a defective disc and never ordered another one. It sounds creepy.

I haven't read We Need to Talk About Kevin, but...
I have read Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of Psychopaths Among Us. I highly recommend this book. I always have 2 copies on hand, one for me (which I often consult) and another to give whenever I meet someone who could benefit from the info therein. It was reading Dr. Hare's book that finally led to my understanding the ex's pshyco madness my children and I lived through after escaping with (only) our lives, thus enabling me to provide them with logical reasoning as to why "papa was strange in his head". That was the year it was first published so he gave lots of local and national radio/tv interviews which expanded on the book. Very insightful and well researched, written in layman's terms.
He also validates what the victims are put through - a rare thing in my experience.
I ♥ Dr. Hare :blushing: and I read all his material I can get my hands on.
Banzai- so sorry about your Ex.
I never heard about Dr. Hare until I researched the "bad seed".
I remember arguing with my philosophy professor about people who had no conscience. I didn't want to believe that such people existed and thought these people could be help in some way- that they were just "sick". She told me that there were people born with no conscience. I still didn't believe her.
Thanks for the title of the book by Dr. Hare. I'll look it up. :seeya:

BBM
What if someday, a genetic marker for psychopathy is found and a prenatal test for that marker (or whatever it is called) is developed? It might lead to elective abortions if a person thinks that their child will be a psychopath. (I have no problems with other people's decisions.)

I was just having this conversation with my husband. His belief is that some people are bad seeds and we got talking about genetic prenatal tests. It would not surprise me if researchers were looking at a genetic component. I really have not read much about psychopathy but your info about Robert Hare is interesting.

I loved The Bad Seed! Too bad all killers, rapists, child abusers, animal abusers are not hit by lightning. I am going to have to watch the Kevin movie. I ordered it from Netflix and it was a defective disc and never ordered another one. It sounds creepy.

BBM
If they ever do find the genetic marker, it could also be a great thing as it could lead to positive treatment, which in turn would decrease the crime rate, and reduce the victimization of everyday people in society at large, not to mention the many suffering families.

BBM

For now, that is the stuff of sci-fi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member