Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a link last page that says the searches were "around" his house, and focused on a gully about 10 feet from the road. If you look on a Google Earth, there is a gully just north of the house location, still on the same property. If I add "searches around the house", "taped off gully" and " We found it", I get that something was found in the gully near the house. If I then add in the reports that several phones were found during that day's search, I get that it was most likely a phone found in the gully near the house. If I add in that Alexis' phone has been confirmed as found, and that LE is not releasing anything else, I get that it was Alexis' phone found in that gully near the house.

My addition is my opinion only. Anyone else's addition miles may vary.

Thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense to me! :)

Do we know exactly where the searches were that 'found it' day? Rt 29 is a long road so it may or may not be near his house. Anyone local see them searching in the gully/ditches?

Was the found it day this day? Aug 31

"The water teams searched Rockfish River and along secondary roads like Wheelers Cove, Stage Bridge, and Pine Trail. Investigators say they searched 10 different locations"

?

http://www.wsls.com/story/23309090/...-29-where-abduction-suspect-may-have-traveled

At any rate, it's good to
Recap the areas searched :)

Why would he toss it near his stomping ground? I haven't a clue.
But Imo there is no way she just up and threw her phone away. Imoo

If he were going to dispose of her phone, I would think he could come up with somewhere better than a gully to throw it. Imoo The phone is a needle in the haystack of this case - if he can hide a victim (or 2) without the remains being found, then the phone was a very unlikely miracle to recover indeed.

This makes me more concerned about the possible methods used to dispose of this poor girl IF she has been murdered. :(

Why would he want it tossed near his stomping grounds? Makes no sense. If anything I think he threw it out later, thinking no one would be searching. JMO

Or it was in a pocket and fell out while he was carrying her body and he had no clue it was there.

I think we can rightly assume that Alexis' cell phone was found on RAT's son's grandmother's property because on that day that the cell phones (plural) were discovered, they had brought in dogs that have been trained to find cell phones. They walked the dogs around the property (pictures in media) where RAT lived (pictures of yellow tape), on Hwy 29. They were found in a gulley and media quoted the handler as saying "found it".

So we do not have LE stating definitively the phone was found on that property during the search, but 1+1 usually equals 2.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/2150555-12/defense-missing-teen-alexis-murphy-was-in-suspects.html

Federal, state and local authorities returned Wednesday to the Lovingston plot where Taylor lived in the blue-and-white camper authorities hauled off on a flatbed truck earlier in the week. Crews from the FBI, Virginia State Police and Nelson County Sheriff’s Office arrived at the residence with canine units and ATVs.

Barking dogs echoed throughout the woods surrounding the dilapidated home off U.S. 29, about 2 miles north of Lovingston.

A wooded gully about 10 feet from U.S. 29 was bordered with crime scene tape Wednesday afternoon. Investigators focused on the area for hours, entering the woods with gloves, evidence tags and cameras.

Searching through the gully, one canine handler shouted, “We found it!”

Investigator Billy Mays, of the Nelson County Sheriff’s Office, said no information will be released on Wednesday’s search.

He noted, however, crews have shifted from a missing person search to a criminal investigation.

FBI spokeswoman Dennette Rybiski would not say what investigators found on the property. She declined to comment on Hallahan’s claim about another man with Murphy.

“Law enforcement was back out conducting follow-up searches,” Rybiski wrote in an e mail. “We’re currently reviewing all evidence collected by the FBI and the [Virginia State Police] in connection to Alexis’ investigation and are not releasing details of items collected thus far.”

I think we can rightly assume that Alexis' cell phone was found on RAT's son's grandmother's property because on that day that the cell phones (plural) were discovered, they had brought in dogs that have been trained to find cell phones. They walked the dogs around the property (pictures in media) where RAT lived (pictures of yellow tape), on Hwy 29. They were found in a gulley and media quoted the handler as saying "found it".

So we do not have LE stating definitively the phone was found on that property during the search, but 1+1 usually equals 2.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/2150555-12/defense-missing-teen-alexis-murphy-was-in-suspects.html

Thank you for noticing the doggies! They are always a good tip as to what is going on in an investigation and where. :)

Wow, it's been less than 24 hours since I refreshed this thread & I came back to 7 pages to catch up on. It's been a while since that has happened on these threads!

So, so glad that one of those phones belonged to Alexis. I'm really betting that it will bring some type of clue...I truly hope it does.

I also hope that the FBI saying no further information will be released means they know a lot more than us. I understand them doing this, as to not interfere with their investigation, give a fair trial, etc., etc.

Crossing my fingers and toes they find something big out soon!
Alexis and her family are on my mind constantly :rose: :please:

Why would he toss it near his stomping ground? I haven't a clue.
But Imo there is no way she just up and threw her phone away. Imoo

I doubt the phone(s) were just lying in the gulley. More likely buried or covered with debris. They did use the specially trained dogs to find the phones.

I doubt the phone(s) were just lying in the gulley. More likely buried or covered with debris. They did use the specially trained dogs to find the phones.

I didn't say the phone was " just lying in the gulley".
I'm quite aware the dogs were used.

I think her phone being found is a bad sign...not a hopeful one. JMO

Why would he want it tossed near his stomping grounds? Makes no sense. If anything I think he threw it out later, thinking no one would be searching. JMO

When you get down to it, it makes no sense for a young lady to become missing either.

I think her phone being found is a bad sign...not a hopeful one. JMO

It's hopeful in terms of evidence. Bad in terms of the victim's chance of survival. There was nowhere she went that her phone wasn't with her. She even would walk around the house with the phone plugged into an extra long extension cord I remember reading.

It's hopeful in terms of evidence. Bad in terms of the victim's chance of survival. There was nowhere she went that her phone wasn't with her. She even would walk around the house with the phone plugged into an extra long extension cord I remember reading.

This is all very true, but we also know that she is believed to have been abducted and we all know an abductor wouldn't let you keep you phone regardless so I never expected a phone call from her, looking at it from that point of view I would say finding her phone is more hopeful than bad because at least now there's more physical proof she was with RAT.

From Twitter:

Parker Slaybaugh ‏@ParkerABC13
I HAVE CONFIRMED THAT ALEXIS MURPHY'S CELL PHONE WAS NOT FOUND THIS PAST SATURDAY.

Parker's tweet is kinda funny....

PHONE NOT FOUND SATURDAY....

:giggle:

JMO

It is a good sign if she is found.imoo
Her loved ones need some kind of closure in any case.

Of course, but if she was in the vicinity of the phone, she should have been found by now IMO. Seems like they would have searched and double-searched the area where they found the phone. JMO

Ok, the phone could have been found by anyone really. They had asked the public to look for it, and at this point, all we know is that it was found.

I want to know if there is indeed a camera at that stop light. IIRC there is. And if so, then FBI already know which direction she went when leaving Liberty and if anything happened at the stop light, like someone got in the vehicle with her there, etc.

I do find it interesting that I don't recall FBI, LE, etc. to ask local residents to check their property. Now they might have, but I don't recall it. They say the believe Alexis to be alive, but the type searches they were doing, looks to me like a recovery mode. I just hope and pray this family knows one way or another SOON!

Anyone else watching JVM? They had a snippet of Nelson LE talking.

*edit: that I don't recall seeing anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member