WA WA - Anne Marie Burr, 8, Tacoma, 31 Aug 1962

Unfortunately, I think we have a very good idea who did it. We may never know for "certain", but .... it's compelling. I do wish at a minimum that the parents knew where her body was, and what happened.

Ann Marie, didn't deserve any of it. It's a shame they didn't look closely at him back then.

I hope they eventually find some useable DNA from their evidence.

Police response team will focus on kidnapping

Ann Marie Burr. Carla Wright. Jennifer Bastian. Michella Welch. Teekah Lewis. Zina Linnik.

They are among children abducted in Tacoma over the years. Some were found slain. Others are still missing.

Many of their cases remain open.

[snip]

Child abductions are unlike many other investigations detectives handle. For one thing they often start with a missing-person report and no witnesses.

To try to learn what happened, patrol officers and detectives interview family members and friends to see whether the missing child has run away, failed to return home when he or she was supposed to, or could be the victim of foul play, Wade said.

For instance, Ann Marie Burr, 8, vanished from her parents’ house in the middle of the night in 1961.

Read more here: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/201...-police-response-team-will.html#storylink=cpy

There is also another SK from Tacoma named Rasmussen. He lived directly behind Angela Meekers house too.

In regards to the 3 mile distance, I don't find it the least bit unlikely that TB could have traveled to her home, it just makes me wonder where he took her as far as committing the crime and hiding her body. He would have been on a bike or on foot. I wonder what the topography of the area looked like then and how far it may have been to an isolated area.

I am currently reading Rebecca Morris's book "Ted and Ann" in regard to Ted Bundy being Ann's potential abductor. She makes a good case for him. Although I don't remain 100% convinced, I think he is the best suspect as far as known killers. Traveling 3 miles to her neighborhood would be no distance at all to a teen boy, whether on foot or riding a bicycle. In the book it states that Ted's mother denies he had anything to do with Ann's disappearance, stating she would have known if anything wrong was going on, but this is Ted Bundy we are talking about. He lived with a woman on and off for years who didn't suspect until very late in his killing career. Besides, as a teen I often snuck out the bedroom window during the night so my best friend and I could ride around with our boyfriends. Nobody ever knew, even though we didn't sneak back in the window until almost dawn. I think Ted could easily have slipped out of the house and night without his mom ever knowing. As for his mom's comments about him being too small at 14, he didn't really need to overpower an 8-year-old girl to get her to leave the house if she knew him and wasn't afraid of him. He liked to strike women in the head or strangle them, either of which wouldn't take too much streangth when assaulting a child. Any thoughts from those of you who have read the book? And if Ted Bundy had never lived in the general area where Ann Marie Burr went missing, who would be our next most likely suspect?

I was reading a sort of obituary article for Ann's mom and wanted to share some stuff from it. The article was written by a reporter that had befriended Ann's mom and they would frequently discuss the case. Her mom in my eyes is 100% not a suspect after reading this article:

"Bev's memory began to fade. I acquired a copy of the 1961 police report, all 479 smudged microfilm pages. Then I could answer questions that had haunted Bev. She thought their dog Barney hadn't barked the night that Ann was taken, but the police report says Bev and Don did hear Barney.

Bev feared that the police might have bungled things the first few days of the investigation. "I always thought they should have set up a roadblock instead of asking questions, so many questions," she said. I told her about the hundreds of homes that were searched, attic to basement; the dozens of men who were given lie-detector tests; and the hundreds of leads pursued over the years."

http://seattletimes.com/html/obituaries/2008190709_bevburrobit210.html

I recently attended a lecture given by Robert Keppel (expert investigator/detective and very experienced, from Seattle, worked on the Bundy cases, GRK, etc and also extensively interviewed Bundy) and he talked a bit about TB. Keppel is a very smart and experienced man - really had a HUGE career because two of the most notorious SKs in the NW (also a huge personal/emotional toll I bet). He said that he believes that Anne Marie was probably Teds first victim even though he never confessed to it but many serial killers want to deny killing children if that wasn't their ("normal" victim type).

It would be really nice to somehow have this case officially closed for Anne Marie's family it's just been so long......50 years.

It's so sad because if the case was thoroughly investigated and if Ted was sent to a youth prison there would be so many family's and future victims spared.

Remember, when Ted Bundy was caught, charged, found guilty and executed in Florida....... one of the cases he was found guilty of was killing a 12 yr old girl.

Ted Bundy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
12-year-old Kimberly Diane Leach was summoned to her homeroom by a teacher to retrieve a forgotten purse; she never returned to class. Seven weeks later, after an intensive search, her partially mummified remains were found in a pig farrowing shed near Suwannee River State Park, 35 miles (56 km) northwest of Lake City.[187][188]

Florida's often forgotten 2nd trial :

Six months later a second trial took place in Orlando for the abduction and murder of Kimberly Leach.[209] Bundy was again found guilty after less than eight hours' deliberation, principally due to the testimony of an eyewitness who saw him leading Leach from the schoolyard to his van.[210] Other important evidence included clothing fibers with an unusual manufacturing error, found in the stolen van and on Leach's body, which matched fibers from the jacket Bundy was wearing when he was arrested.[211]

My Note : Bundy kept denying he killed her, until he was near to the point of being executed and he thought it could buy him more time if he admitted to some of the "other" things he had done. He did confess at that point and gave them information only the murderer would have known, He admitted, that he didn't want to "admit" to it, because of her age. So @ 32 yrs old, he killed a 12 yr old girl. He also admitted that at 14, the age he was when Ann was killed, was when he admitted he had uncontrollable urges to kill and to have sex with a dead female (necrophilia).

Portrait of Kimberly Leach : http://image1.findagrave.com/photos250/photos/2009/38/6664667_123409282091.jpg

I think Bundy is extremely likely to have been the one who took Anne Marie. He probably killed more young girls if the truth were known. Guys like Bundy didn't like to admit to killing girls under 15/16 because they felt it changed their status of "famous serial killer of beautiful women" into "pedophilic child-killing freak". (As if serial killers aren't already freaks.) In some of his prison interviews there were things he refused to discuss whenever Anne Marie or the question of younger girls came up. I think that even in his own mind it was such a forbidden horrible thing he didn't want to dwell on it and definitely didn't want to admit it. In the book by Rebecca Morris she states that Anne Marie's dad spotted Ted Bundy in the neighborhood the next morning while they were searching for her. So the family certainly knew who Ted Bundy was and that means Anne Marie would have known him and maybe trusted him enough to go outside with him.

Wow that obituary of Beverly Ann Burr has some really interesting info in it. If nothing else to give you more of an idea of Ann's life.

I'm less convinced now that Bundy was responsible... He didn't drive at 14, and there was no sign ever of a body.

I just don't think that Ted at 14 would have been able to carry out this crime so neatly, leaving no trace.

I'm less convinced now that Bundy was responsible... He didn't drive at 14, and there was no sign ever of a body.

I just don't think that Ted at 14 would have been able to carry out this crime so neatly, leaving no trace.

Yes they can. I worked ONLY the very violent , bizzare or crazy cases.. involving murder, etc. I also tracked them down and caught them. I have solved ... unsolved murders, although wasn't intending to at the time.... in each of them, in trying to catch someone else..... someone said "well, I know who killed this guy" . Weird how you can get things some times. I have dealt with evil, people who murdered multiple times, and the psychopaths who could murder people, chop them off, then sit down and eat lunch with no feelings or hesitation at all about it. I've had some of them try to get me..... obviously they failed.

Point is, I've worked a few juvenile cases of murder.... and ironically.... they were 14 yrs old. Believe me, they are quite capable and are smart .... much more so than most people would think. In fact, they can dream up things that adults would never think of. One, killed his mother by bashing her head in 20 times with a baseball bat , stabbed her 28 times, then when she was still breathing..... strangled her.... but she came back to so he put her in a bathtub and drowned her. Then he hid her body. Mother reported as missing, and they couldn't find her.... and although there were some signs something may have occurred, no immediate proof, etc....... She was "found" because an officer went into his bedroom to ask him some unimportant question.... and saw a small spot of blood next to the kids bed, and bent over to look at it closer to see if it was really blood. "Mom's body " ... was under his bed wrapped up in plastic. He had a shovel, method to move her, and they were digging a new pond with bulldozers ....... and he planned to bury her the next night into the section where they were going to move dirt to start creating the dam ....... and if he had, she would have never been found.... she'ld been buried at the bottom of a pond dam at least 40 ft deep.

Bundy , for all his faults and disorders, was a very intelligent person..... there's no reason to think he wasn't when he was 14 yrs old either. I guess with him admitting all the things he was doing when he was 14 (sneaking out, *advertiser censored*, window peeking, wanting to have sex with a dead female, etc. and so on ) ...... that I would be totally amazed if he didn't act on those thoughts. I don't think he had enough self-control to think that he could have NOT done something evil. Bundy even admits, his brain and thoughts were already pretty well warped by 14 yrs old and he sure seems to have spent a lot of time and effort, as well as thinking / dwelling on those things during that time frame.

Was reading this (link above ) : http://www.nwcn.com/news/washington?fId=131145443&fPath=/home&fDomain=10212

This .... really jumped out at me ...................

The News Tribune reports several pieces of evidence from the unsolved case of 8-year-old Ann Marie Burr were sent to the state crime lab in August to be analyzed, but Tacoma Police say scientists weren’t able to develop a suspect DNA profile.

That implies, they had something they thought could have the suspects DNA on it...... I have not read or seen anything to indicate they had "anything" that could have the DNA of the suspect on it. And it was, or had been, raining that night..... so unlikely something outside, but could be and why they couldn't get good DNA off of it (clothes ? , items ? ), because it had gotten wet. But, as I said, I had not heard anything that would tell me they had anything that they thought they could associate to the suspect ..... to get DNA.....

So, what are they holding out on and never told the public that they have ? That's sure what it implies to me. Says to me, they have items they haven't let be known, and that could say a lot.

That's very interesting about the DNA. It makes one wonder if there had been a sexual assault or physical altercation in the house when the person took Anne Marie. If it isn't something like that, then how would they know the DNA might not belong to Anne Marie? There must be something about it that made them think someone else's bodily fluids were present.

Little girl’s disapperance in 1961 may have been at hands of infamous serial killer

It was a dark and stormy night — a cliche’ often used to begin a story — but in this case, it’s actually true.
National best -selling author, Rebecca Morris wrote about it in her book, “Ted and Ann”, saying ,“There was a storm that night. It was just before Labor Day weekend. It rained very hard for Tacoma and there was a lot of wind, and power went out in certain neighborhoods.”

It was August 31, 1961. Ann Marie Burr and her family were hunkered down for the night. “It was kind of the last hurrah for the children in the family. Ann was the oldest of four. She was eight and a half and a couple of the kids slept in the basement in their fort, but Ann and her little sister stayed in their bedrooms upstairs,” Morris continues.

[snip]

Ann’s mother wrote to Bundy asking if he kidnapped her daughter. Time and time again, he denied it, writing, “I do not know what happened to your daughter and had nothing to do with her disappearance.” But, an interview he gave shortly before his execution cast grave doubts on his claim. “Speaking in the third person hypothetically, he basically told the story about a very early crime where he took a young girl out of a house, sexually assaulted her in the orchard next door. “There was an orchard next to the Burr house, and he said he left her in a deep ditch and watched as the Burr parents and police searched,” Morris says.

Ted Bundy wasn’t known for telling the truth and enjoyed playing games. It’s been a half century since Ann vanished and some believe she may have been dumped in a ditch near her home while construction for the University of Puget Sound was underway. “There was a day when I realized that it was in the police report that Ann’s father had come back from searching the college campus and gone to the police and said, ‘You should look at those ditches up there where they’re building buildings because some are 30 feet deep and covered with water,’ and three days later it’s in the police report they’ve gone up to look at them and they’ve already been filled in and paved over.”

[snip]

Even though Ted Bundy has been a focus of the investigation, police have not ruled out the other suspects they first considered.

If you have any information that can help detectives solve the case, call an anonymous tip into:
CRIME STOPPERS: 1-800-222-TIPS

http://catchwmw.com/2014/11/21/litt...have-been-at-hands-of-infamous-serial-killer/

Bump for Anne Marie. She has now been missing for 54 years.

I am very new to this site. However I am going to just jump in give a possibly match to an unidentified body found in pierce county in 1978. She would of been 25 however the body found was from 15-20 years. It is a possibility that she was not killed right away. "Two fisherman found the skull of this young female adult. Further searching by law enforcement and search teams found additional bones and clothing." Just wanted to put the possibility out there and get your thoughts. Not sure how this all works.
Link to unidentified page:
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5706

I am very new to this site. However I am going to just jump in give a possibly match to an unidentified body found in pierce county in 1978. She would of been 25 however the body found was from 15-20 years. It is a possibility that she was not killed right away. "Two fisherman found the skull of this young female adult. Further searching by law enforcement and search teams found additional bones and clothing." Just wanted to put the possibility out there and get your thoughts. Not sure how this all works.
Link to unidentified page:
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5706

There were some bodies that were never found that were people Bundy admitted to killing. It highly suggests this may be one of them.

I'm convinced (1) Bundy killed her -- his first victim, (2) she ended up in the footings of the building work they were doing for the Univ @ Puget Sound. Construction sites were always dumping grounds by some, as they would end up buried in cement. They should have checked that area much sooner, and / or stopped construction until it was searched well. The 30 ft deep holes / ditches filled with water, makes sense as suspect and looks like another murder unsolved due to shoddy police work / investigation. I think they were looking for who took her, more then realizing they may be looking for a body..... which would have given them info on who killed her.

Meaning, until that is dug up ... they'll never find her. The only good thing would be if they found some evidence (DNA, etc) that proved Bundy did it.... and at least that would put that aspect to rest.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back