JLM: What Do We Know About Him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but I just haven't been able to keep up with this case. The last thing I saw was the press conference with the strange police chief. At that time, I was not sure they had any actual evidence against JM. Several posters were talking about the words the police chief used and about it sounding sort of like a preacher's sermon. So, since that time, does everyone believe that JM did in fact kidnap Hannah?

I think LE is proceeding the best they can, working their way outward from Tempo, where Hannah and JM were last seen, asking people to please check their properties for signs of anything unusual. Certain areas that look likely for a body dump have been targeted by search teams, including volunteers who are systematically searching every square foot, square inch, picking up anything that could be relevant.

It would be somewhat helpful to know what time JM was seen again after leaving Temp that Saturday, Sept 13. Hopefully, LE has a fix on that. But maybe not. Hard to remember things like that a week afterwards. He did not make the football meeting that Saturday morning, we know. If he could be placed back in Charlottesville that day, it could limit some distance traveled. If he were not seen all day Saturday, it becomes even more open as to where he could have gone and come back.

I get the distinct feeling, but speculation only, that LE is pretty sure Hannah got into that car, but has no evidence tying JM to the car, since they were able to get a search warrent and seize the car for evidence. I don't think JM had Hannah in that car dead for any length of time or in the trunk, as that would be solid enough evidence to charge him. I think he drove Hannah off to some location, and I don't think it was all that far, and got rid of her there. The car would have evidence of all sorts of things. If Hannah's body were in the trunk, cadaver dogs, and forensic evidence would likely be able to note that.

I wonder when JM's car and JM himself were first seen again after Tempo's on Saturday. that would be helpful.

The car is the best piece of evidence, and for everyone to search private property. It would be wonderful if volunteers could go door to door and ask if property owners have searched thoroughly and ask them to do so if they have not. Believe it or not, there are people in the Charlottesville area who are not aware of the disappearance. Yeah, seems unlikely but yes, it's true. They don't watch news or pay any attention to it. I wish LE could have shut down block upon block, square area upon square area, radiating outwards from Tempos and contacted every single person owning property there as well as searching public areas and other locales that are good possibilities for body dumps.

If JM won't talk, that's all that can be done.

there definitely are lots of people who live "off the grid" these days, and they usually own lots of land. they are just the people we need to have searching their acreage. I have close family that choose to raise their kids on the side of a mountain and homeschool. they have a house etc. and go to the grocery an hour and a half away once a week after Church. they have only channels that they can catch with bunny ears. they do have a computer and the internet, so they aren't completely off the grid, but the computer is mainly used for blogging in order to keep in touch with family out of state. they live in Tennessee, and once I brought up Holly Bobo, and they had never heard of her. They aren't too far from where Holly was found, yet their 25 acres weren't searched. They have creeks and boulders and little cave like areas formed by the boulders. All perfect places to hide a body.

My point is, it would be a great idea for door to door flyers posted on these homes that are in the middle of "no where" with nothing around them but their beautiful land.

Sorry, but I just haven't been able to keep up with this case. The last thing I saw was the press conference with the strange police chief. At that time, I was not sure they had any actual evidence against JM. Several posters were talking about the words the police chief used and about it sounding sort of like a preacher's sermon. So, since that time, does everyone believe that JM did in fact kidnap Hannah?

ABSOLUTELY. Also, they have "forensic evidence" linking Jesse to a rape in Fairfax and Morgan Harrington.

There's no way of knowing where exactly he received his ticket for no plates? Why would anyone take off their lic, plates? One reason could be that you're parked somewhere you don't want to be identified. You get done doing what you've done, but forget to replace the plates. He may have been near somewhere significant and leaving.

JM may have been very confident Hannah Graham wouldn't be found. He didn't run when security cam footage was released. He started scrubbing his facebook page, and making arrangements with his landlord. The police take his car. He even goes to the PO the next day. He could've run off earlier with a better chances but didn't. He found a lawyer at the PO, went home (guessing had a longer conversation with is lawyer), blacked out his facebook page, then made a run for it, ditched his mom somewhere and made it all the way to Gilchrist, Tx. What changed after he spoke to his lawyer? Why didn't he run earlier?

Re the BBM: he changed his Fbook profile picture to a black square around 3pm (Eastern time), Saturday 9/20, shortly after the Daily Mail named him as the "guy with dreadlocks" (as we were referring to him at the time) in the video.

I mentioned at the time (on a general discussion thread), when people were wondering why he didn't just delete his picture, that the black square as profile picture has been used several times on Fbook/other social media for various campaigns for justice and/or awareness.

IMO, it's not an indication of how smart/intelligent or dumb/unintelligent he is, rather a (probably poorly thought out) "statement".

FWIW, & from memory, that afternoon the number of his friends plummeted from nearly 400, down to double digits, then went back up to the high 300s, over the space of a few hours. I DON'T Know what that might mean, & didn't openly speculate on it at the time; I did wonder if he was un- friending people, who then re-friended him. I don't know whether it's relevant or important to the discussion ;)

There's no way of knowing where exactly he received his ticket for no plates? Why would anyone take off their lic, plates? One reason could be that you're parked somewhere you don't want to be identified. You get done doing what you've done, but forget to replace the plates. He may have been near somewhere significant and leaving.

JMO, the no plates ticket *could* be completely innocuous: once upon a time, when I used to drive very junky old cars, I got ticketed for this. Slammed trunk closed on my rust bucket, didn't notice that plate fell off. Drove off & got pulled over in short order. Got ticket, went back to starting point, found plate on the ground.

Dumb? Yep, very. Criminal intent? Nah.

I'm not in anyway defending JM here, just pointing out that sometimes we get hung up on the details ;). IMO, and experience (yes, unfortunately), people with nefarious motives will switch plates (eg stolen ones) on their car, but not drive without a plate.

I feel that he had access to other vehicles and perhaps eve used other people's vehicles to transport evidence & possibly victims. Perhaps he had access to unregistered cars. We know another high profile convict did.

Does anyone who knows JM know if he had access to a white Buick sedan?

Wonder if JM ever dumped items off in the trash of venues he frequented?

Also wondering if any searches have occurred after dark, in order to see/guess what and where a perp might see at night.
Maybe under flashlight in the dark, sparkles on H's top, might be visible..imo.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/03/uva-kidnap-jesse-leroy-matthew_n_5929602.html
"A night owl, Matthew was a fixture in restaurants, bars and clubs along Charlottesville's Downtown Mall. Another club-goer, Kirk Ishitani, says he sometimes ran into Matthew there.

"If I went to Rapture, either he'd be there or he'd show up,"
bbm.

JM may have been very confident Hannah Graham wouldn't be found. He didn't run when security cam footage was released. He started scrubbing his facebook page, and making arrangements with his landlord. The police take his car. He even goes to the PO the next day. He could've run off earlier with a better chances but didn't. He found a lawyer at the PO, went home (guessing had a longer conversation with is lawyer), blacked out his facebook page, then made a run for it, ditched his mom somewhere and made it all the way to Gilchrist, Tx. What changed after he spoke to his lawyer? Why didn't he run earlier?

The move out of the apartment had been scheduled a while back. My guess is that he did not even pay attention to the news as he didn't seem to make a run for it, or do much of anything until LE showed up with a warrent for his car and seized it, his phone and a bunch of other things. He left with his roommates and the enxt day went to LE and demanded an attorney. Left without talking to LE, after talking to a lawyer, no doubt on the advice of the lawyer, and then did his reckless driving thing, no doubt against the advice of any lawyer or reasonable person. Of course, he'd do what he could to his FB page. Whether innocent or guilty, the time of traffic one gets on social media when in the national spotlight makes that advisable. Probably got a bunch of nasty remarks.

If anyone told him to make a run for it, that person gave bad advice. Doubt it was the lawyer. Most likely the lawyer told him to sit tight, not talk to anyone and keep a low profile. Probably sheer impulse, which is what seems to be a driving force with him. That little though went into it is evident in how fast he was caught.

The move out of the apartment had been scheduled a while back. My guess is that he did not even pay attention to the news as he didn't seem to make a run for it, or do much of anything until LE showed up with a warrent for his car and seized it, his phone and a bunch of other things. He left with his roommates and the enxt day went to LE and demanded an attorney. Left without talking to LE, after talking to a lawyer, no doubt on the advice of the lawyer, and then did his reckless driving thing, no doubt against the advice of any lawyer or reasonable person. Of course, he'd do what he could to his FB page. Whether innocent or guilty, the time of traffic one gets on social media when in the national spotlight makes that advisable. Probably got a bunch of nasty remarks.

If anyone told him to make a run for it, that person gave bad advice. Doubt it was the lawyer. Most likely the lawyer told him to sit tight, not talk to anyone and keep a low profile. Probably sheer impulse, which is what seems to be a driving force with him. That little though went into it is evident in how fast he was caught.

BBM:

AFAIK, when you are asked to come into the police department for 'questioning', you can't 'demand' a court appointed lawyer. AFAIK, you are entitled to a court appointed lawyer only once you are arrested, and have requested one due to financial need. But even then, it's through the court system, at your first hearing (like the one we saw on video in TX).

I believe he already has someone as his 'go-to' lawyer. He seemed to have a lawyer prior to his taking off, and waived a court appointed attorney in Texas.

ETA: He may have 'demanded' an attorney once the questioning started, but it would have been demanding to speak to his own attorney.

BBM:

I believe he already has someone as his 'go-to' lawyer. He seemed to have a lawyer prior to his taking off, and waived a court appointed attorney in Texas.

this, i too, believe

BBM:

AFAIK, when you are asked to come into the police department for 'questioning', you can't 'demand' a court appointed lawyer. AFAIK, you are entitled to a court appointed lawyer only once you are arrested, and have requested one due to financial need. But even then, it's through the court system, at your first hearing (like the one we saw on video in TX).

Apparently, JM did demand an attorney when he went into the police station. What happened has been told by Longo and MSM as well as on this forum. You can demand whatever, doesn't mean you will get any of it. LE wanted to talk to him badly enough that they did work with him and got an attorney to consult with him. Which is the attorney who is now representing him. No, he was not entitled to get a court appointed lawyer since he had no charges levied against him.

If he had someone as his "go to lawyer" that was not brought up and the attorney he spoke to when he went to the police station, now his attorney of record did not represent JM previously. He was represented by counsel in his various other infractions of the law, but none of those lawyers are in the picture here.

Though he did not get a court appointed attorney, the lawyer that was called in for him, now his attorney of record for t Hannah Graham related charges, probably gave him a free consultation, not unusual for a first meeting. But no info that JM retained him then. That apparently happened later from news that was released when he had run off and before he was caught in Texas

BBM:

ETA: He may have 'demanded' an attorney once the questioning started, but it would have been demanding to speak to his own attorney.

I'm pretty sure this lawyer was Camblos. I'll have to go dig around here in a second to find the links. But I'm nearly positive that Camblos stated- on the record- that HE was the att'y that JM spoke to when he went to the police station that first time. Before he tore out of town. I'll go search around to find links...

This is meant to be in response to someone asking the question, "why didn't he leave sooner?"

I am wondering if LE is not too invested in LJM at this time, and not pursuing other leads. Or, maybe they are, and the apparent forensic evidence linking to past cases is a plant to ferret out another perp. Who knows. This may be an unpopular thought, but what if this boils down to LJ seeing the writing on the wall...and thinks he's yet another black man that will go down for something he did not do -again. Cruising for chicks one night, the next being called a rapist, kidnapper and murderer? In fact lost his college career over some allegations that were never substantiated to the best of my knowledge(feel free to correct me). I understand that he has a past that is tied to alleged SA, but no convictions. It wouldn't be the first time a black man was unjustly accused. Therefore, let's just say he did try to pick up the girl, thought he had a chance due to her being drunk, smooth talk her, impress her with going to an upscale bar, etc., he was seen on security, he tried to do the right thing by stepping forward (going to police), then decided, wth, I can't deal with this crap, they're gonna frame me, I'm outta here. That's why he drove recklessly (pizzed off), waited to leave, to get away from the perceived BS. Maybe he is talking, but they aren't telling. LE has no obligation to release case sensitive information. Maybe they aren't telling, b/c he really does not know anything other than his failed attempt to "pick up" the girl. Maybe just maybe another person stepped in after Tempo sighting outside. Maybe he is being strong-armed by LE and said screw this, I need to get away and calm my azz down. Meanwhile, the court of public opinion has taken on a life of its own, and just as he suspected, he is being persecuted for this. Just a thought or three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500