MA MA - Debra Marie ‘Debbie’ Melo, 30, Weymouth, 20 Jun 2000

Thanks, Bodhi! I would imagine that it's Weymouth PD on the Debbie Melo case but I actually don't know. I am not as familiar with her case as I am with some others... just thought I'd post the news here due to the close proximity. Looks like the Brockton PD and the Staties are handling the Brockton investigation.

Oh, good thought, Gardenlady. I was not familiar with that case (only moved to MA in 2007) but Jennifer could be a good possibility too. I emailed a moderator to open a thread for the Brockton case in Unidentified so we should be able to discuss over there soon and not derail Debbie's thread.

Whoever has been found, I wish them and their families peace.

Wow did not see that coming, or some reason I felt certain it would be a woman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Today marks 14 years Debbie has been missing. I hope her family would contact the Taunton PD to contact the tv show Cold Justice. Maybe they would take this case on. I went online, but to it must be the Taunton PD that initiates the investigation. It is amazing what these women can accomplish on cold cases. I think of her ofter, never met her, but live in Taunton, MA. and want justice to be done.

I used to live not far from here years ago.

Depending on age, I'm also wondering if it could be Jennifer Fay, who disappeared from the north side in the 80s.

It's Brockton though, so odds are its a more recent victim. :sigh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoops didn't realize I had mentioned Jennifer in this thread in the past. I have both their threads subscribed though - every time I hear of a body found I think of both/either, depending on area and circumstance.

Today marks 14 years Debbie has been missing. I hope her family would contact the Taunton PD to contact the tv show Cold Justice. Maybe they would take this case on. I went online, but to it must be the Taunton PD that initiates the investigation. It is amazing what these women can accomplish on cold cases. I think of her ofter, never met her, but live in Taunton, MA. and want justice to be done.

I grew up in the area, and most of my fam is in Taunton or Fall River.

I have a pretty dim view of Taunton police - I am so doubtful that they would be willing to reach out to any other jurisdiction or group for help. :sigh: I hope I'm wrong, but this is my impression of local practice/politics in Taunton. :(

One post. Taunting those who care? I would love for this to be solved. At least one person knows.

Did anyone witness her exiting his car in Weymouth? There is the Taunton river at the end of the Baylies Rd where they lived at the time as well as some houses being built around that time across the way. Places to hide a body?

Yes Derrick she was seen walking on rt. 18. She did get out of car.

This is the first I'm hearing of this. According to reports, no one saw her leaving the car or walking in that area.

Hey, 'iknowwheresheis', what do you know about the case and from what sources?

Taunton tragedy? Murder mystery? The confounding case of Debbie Melo

http://raynham.wickedlocal.com/news/20170403/taunton-tragedy-murder-mystery-confounding-case-of-debbie-melo

Behind the treeline along Route 18 in South Weymouth, dozens of posh new apartments and condominiums are taking over the wooded area where police once conducted a massive search for a missing 30-year-old mother from Taunton.

Seventeen years ago, police used officers, dogs and a helicopter to comb the closed 1,400-acre South Weymouth Naval Air Base, now the Union Point development, in search of Debbie Melo. There was no trace of her on the air base or the area around Hartstone florist across the street where her husband told investigators he dropped her off after an argument.

Investigators say the search in June 2000 missed nothing, and there are no plans to repeat that effort as the air base property is developed. Even Melo’s family, who once held vigils along Route 18, say there are likely no answers in Weymouth.

Instead, the family and investigators are left with the same question they had 17 years ago: What happened to Debbie Melo?

Thoughts of her sister are with her constantly, White said. “You’re driving and your constantly thinking ‘Could she be here? Could she be here?’ What happened? How come I don’t know? What has she said to me in the past that I’m not remembering that could help me with finding her?”

Investigators also hope for fresh clues.

“Cases like this one, and this isn’t the only one, are very frustrating. I meet with my state police detectives regularly on unsolved cases, asking what more can be done. I don’t use the term cold case, because they are not cold for the families left behind and they shouldn’t be cold to us,” Norfolk County District Attorney Michael Morrissey said.

DeMoura, who was still married to White when Melo went missing, said he has searched hundreds of locations, trudging through swamps, forests and abandoned properties.

“It was a full-time job during the first three years.” DeMoura, 45, of Taunton said. “We followed up on leads. The police can’t usually follow up on a lead unless they have some kind of evidence. Not just because Joe Schmoe says it’s in your backyard or it’s over behind that house over there. They need search warrants and everything else. We’ll go out at 2 o’clock in the morning, 3 o’clock in the morning just because somebody said something.”

White said the family will never give up the search, a feeling White and DeMoura passed down to their daughter, Olivia, 19, who was 2 when her aunt disappeared.

“Within the community it hasn’t been forgotten. A lot of people ask me if we’ve heard anything about my sister. Any news? Anything? I’ll always say no,” White said. “I want it out worldwide. I want people to know that she isn’t forgotten, because she’s not.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back