TX TX - Samantha Broberg, 33, missing from Carnival cruise ship, 13 May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a member of Pinterest and cannot read anything unless I log in. are you saying there are negative comments being made by Samantha? Do they indicate she was depressed?

You should sign up and read through the posts if you're truly interested; well worth it. IMO, she appeared to post very revealing comments under the memes she pinned. To me, she seems to reference depression in some, great strength and insight in others and, sadly, resignation under a few.

You should sign up and read through the posts if you're truly interested; well worth it. IMO, she appeared to post very revealing comments under the memes she pinned. To me, she seems to reference depression in some, great strength and insight in others and, sadly, resignation under a few.

To be fair, we don't know if it was her who wrote the comments under the pins...sometimes when people pin they don't bother to change the previous pinner's comment.

I am not a member of Pinterest and cannot read anything unless I log in. are you saying there are negative comments being made by Samantha? Do they indicate she was depressed?

There are quite a few Quotes on Pinterest that reflect some sort of falling out with a friend. I need to go back and see when they were posted.

ETA: i believe she followed the board with the quotes, and it is hard to tell whether she made the comments or not. She had other boards too like recipes, ideas for the home, makeup, nails, kid parties etc.

After reading comments from her friends, she seemed like a really nice person, who loved to have fun, and a devoted mom.

My niece is a close friend of Samantha's. I've been following this horrible accident, through my niece's (she has been feeling very sad and helpless) posts on her own FB. I will msg her now, and invite her here. Be nice, please. Remember, there are real people with real feelings, attached to these events.

My niece is a close friend of Samantha's. I've been following this horrible accident, through my niece's (she has been feeling very sad and helpless) posts on her own FB. I will msg her now, and invite her here. Be nice, please. Remember, there are real people with real feelings, attached to these events.

I am so sorry for your niece's loss in such a good friend. She really looked like a hoot and a lot of fun to be around. It must be very distressing to read all the speculation out there. IMO, it looks like a very tragic accident, resulting from a poor choice in the moment. Hugs to your niece as I know this must be hard.

I do call her selfish. I don't need further education about suicide - actually, I know quite a good deal about it. And sometimes people commit suicide for the "attention" as bizarre as that is, since they won't experience it. Although that is usually teenage girls who do that. When one girl in a community kills herself, you have to be extremely vigilant because it's very likely a couple more will follow, who didn't appear to be depressed before that.

Depressed people don't have only one personality type - there are depressed extremely generous people, and depressed extremely selfish self-centered people. There are depressed people who are very smart, and depressed people who have below average intelligence.

To say that a depressed person can't be selfish denies the uniqueness of every individual.

And yes. Committing suicide by jumping off a ship the first night of a cruise is a very self-centered thing to do.

I wanted to chime. As a trained crisis interventionalist (trained in suicidology, dbt, and licensed counselor) its outlandish to assume generalities about the act of suicide. A person who is extremely sad, hopeless, lonely and who cannot experience happiness due to these feelings has no concept of others on a ship. When a person decides to take their life there is a strong pull towards only thinking about releasing pain. This becomes an obsession.

Albeit, the result impeded the party atmosphere for others but the person committing suicide was not selfish. The act itself is. If more people knew the many factors that culminate to make one attempt suicide it would help support them before this occurs. Thoughts that one is selfish after ending the darkest pain and suffering is ridiculous in itself. Selfishness is doing something purposely to gain something from others. How can you gain anything positive when a life is lost?

****Also I am not saying this was a suicide as I do not know but wanted to express my thoughts on this subject.****

Jmo

To be fair, we don't know if it was her who wrote the comments under the pins...sometimes when people pin they don't bother to change the previous pinner's comment.

The comment where she said change the she to he and this has been the last 3 years of my life, was likely her comment.
Additionally, on fb, 2 friends made a comment that she is no longer in pain.
I hope she didn't commit suicide but I think it's a strong possibility. <\3

Deleted my post: Never mind. I also don't want to derail Samantha's thread.

I agree this isnt about that :) lets agree to disagree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure this thread even belongs on Websleuths. She's technically missing, yes, but it seems fairly clear there was no "crime". So people are picking over a (likely dead) woman's social media and occasionally taking thinly veiled shots at those around her, for no real reason.

I wanted to chime. As a trained crisis interventionalist (trained in suicidology, dbt, and licensed counselor) its outlandish to assume generalities about the act of suicide. A person who is extremely sad, hopeless, lonely and who cannot experience happiness due to these feelings has no concept of others on a ship. When a person decides to take their life there is a strong pull towards only thinking about releasing pain. This becomes an obsession.

Albeit, the result impeded the party atmosphere for others but the person committing suicide was not selfish. The act itself is. If more people knew the many factors that culminate to make one attempt suicide it would help support them before this occurs. Thoughts that one is selfish after ending the darkest pain and suffering is ridiculous in itself. Selfishness is doing something purposely to gain something from others. How can you gain anything positive when a life is lost?

****Also I am not saying this was a suicide as I do not know but wanted to express my thoughts on this subject.****

Jmo

Thank you for this. I'm cutting and pasting this post of mine from another thread a while back because I feel it's pertinent here as well. AND because on a different thread tonight, someone has once again used the "permanent solution to a temporary problem" trope. Saying that a suicidal person is "selfish" is another example of the simplistic and cynical narrative that is automatically trotted out whenever suicide is discussed. This has got to stop.

BBM I am not attempting to engage in a philosophical debate regarding depression and suicide. But I have to say, the bolded part of this post is a trope that cannot die off soon enough.(Very bad pun not intended) This has become the de facto response to a very complex, painful and misunderstood aspect of mental illness. To say that suicide is a response to a temporary problem is cruelly dismissive, and for many, patently untrue. Yes, the suicide of a loved one (or even not a particularly loved one) is devastating for those left behind and leaves upheaval, grief, anger, guilt and hell in it's wake. Not always, but often. But, even those consequences pale in comparison to the anguish and all encompassing horror of the prospect of a life with no relief in sight for mental pain and hopelessness. For many, many people, mental illnesses such as depression, are chronic, very long term conditions and are not necessarily treatable. I bristle every time I hear that mantra about permanent solution/temporary problem. It's inaccurate in many instances, and it belittles a tragic act of desperation and attempt to end one's unrelenting and intractable pain.

Jmo

Daysxdesign, When a person is suicidal and they have this obsession to release the pain, what are their thoughts about the small children they are leaving behind.
Surely SB didn't think her girls would be better off without her. Based on the date of her marriage to KB, he was not their biological father.

Thank you for this. I'm cutting and pasting this post of mine from another thread a while back because I feel it's pertinent here as well. AND because on a different thread tonight, someone has once again used the "permanent solution to a temporary problem" trope. Saying that a suicidal person is "selfish" is another example of the simplistic and cynical narrative that is automatically trotted out whenever suicide is discussed. This has got to stop.

BBM I am not attempting to engage in a philosophical debate regarding depression and suicide. But I have to say, the bolded part of this post is a trope that cannot die off soon enough.(Very bad pun not intended) This has become the de facto response to a very complex, painful and misunderstood aspect of mental illness. To say that suicide is a response to a temporary problem is cruelly dismissive, and for many, patently untrue. Yes, the suicide of a loved one (or even not a particularly loved one) is devastating for those left behind and leaves upheaval, grief, anger, guilt and hell in it's wake. Not always, but often. But, even those consequences pale in comparison to the anguish and all encompassing horror of the prospect of a life with no relief in sight for mental pain and hopelessness. For many, many people, mental illnesses such as depression, are chronic, very long term conditions and are not necessarily treatable. I bristle every time I hear that mantra about permanent solution/temporary problem. It's inaccurate in many instances, and it belittles a tragic act of desperation and attempt to end one's unrelenting and intractable pain.

Respectfully, I think it's simplistic to imply that there is only one character type that commits suicide - unselfish people. And that they commit suicide without it occurring to them the damage that will befall others as a result of their death. Certainly, there are those who do that. There are others, who commit "revenge suicide", preferring to die themselves just to hurt someone(s) else.

Jmo

Thank you SO much for chiming in and sharing your professional opinion.

I agree with every single word.

It is far and beyond a :goodpost: in my opinion. The thanks button is not enough!

JMO...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Due to new information in this case, Cruise Bruise Investigates has changed the cause of death to a Suspicious Death. By definition, "Suspicious Deaths - Cautious distrust of someone or something related to the death. There may be suspicious activities in the time line of events leading up the death that give us the impression, something about the death is questionable."

http://www.cruiseshipdeaths.com/Cruise_Ship_Deaths_2016/Samantha_Broberg.html

The stain and the knife - would those be the reason the FBI is involved, or does the FBI get involved in all cruise incidents?

"Due to new information in this case, Cruise Bruise Investigates has changed the cause of death to a Suspicious Death. By definition, "Suspicious Deaths - Cautious distrust of someone or something related to the death. There may be suspicious activities in the time line of events leading up the death that give us the impression, something about the death is questionable."

The stain and the knife - would those be the reason the FBI is involved, or does the FBI get involved in all cruise incidents?

If you go to the part of the site you posted about cruise deaths, there is a section about what happens when somebody dies on a cruise. It said "If the cause of death is not readily known, illegal drugs, excessive alcohol, violence to the body was found, other foul play is possible or the person went overboard, the FBI will be notified and an investigation will begin. The FBI will board the cruise ship, view the location of death, the body, interview family and friends both on the ship and at home, and interview the crew. If foul play is immediately suspected, the FBI may fly a team out to the cruise ship at the next port, board the cruise ship and return to the U.S. with the body, investigating during the rest of the cruise. "

Pretty interesting article but that should answer your question. Also had a link for a man that jumped overboard May 11 from Coral Princess and his body was never recovered.

Thanks. Great find. Intrigued that the article site refers to similarities with the Annette Mizener case where the FBI apparently accused a passenger of being a hit man (featured on websleuths).

In the AM case there was a covered security camera at the time of disappearance which raised suspicion.

Does anyone know if the deck cameras were covered in SB's disappearance? Articles only refer to video apparently only showing SB getting onto and leaving the deck, but nothing prior to that. One would think there'd be cameras covering activity from all areas of the ship.

Thanks. Great find. Intrigued that the article site refers to similarities with the Annette Mizener case where the FBI apparently accused a passenger of being a hit man (featured on websleuths).

In the AM case there was a covered security camera at the time of disappearance which raised suspicion.

Does anyone know if the deck cameras were covered in SB's disappearance? Articles only refer to video apparently only showing SB getting onto and leaving the deck, but nothing prior to that. One would think there'd be cameras covering activity from all areas of the ship.

Interesting.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

There is video of her sitting up on the railing, with her back to the ocean, and falling backwards. No one else is captured on the video, as far as I know.

Well, that's what Cruise Bruise does, right? Their bread and butter is making cruises seem unsafe. (Not that I agree or disagree with their assessment or raison d'etre, but I think that their opinion on this cannot be considered objective).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member