FL - Mass Shooting at Pulse Nightclub, Orlando 12 June 2016 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's okay to do here?

Sure. It gives us some insight into what others are thinking and why they react the way they do. OM was an American influenced by terrorists - what were they saying to him that pushed him over the edge? What's going on here and what is perceived is going on here that causes people to turn to terrorism?

Your post about Dutch crime rates didn't reference any other post.

I don't recall any other post talking about Dutch crime rates.

I suggest that if you want to discuss Dutch crime rates, you might want to start a thread about it. This thread is about an Islamic terrorist attack. I fail to see any relevance to Dutch crime rates.

(BBM ^^) Currently, the title of the thread is "FL - Mass Shooting at Pulse Nightclub, Orlando 12 June"

Perhaps it will be changed if it is confirmed, following the current and ongoing investigation, that it was in fact an authentic Islamic terrorist attack?

(BBM ^^) Currently, the title of the thread is "FL - Mass Shooting at Pulse Nightclub, Orlando 12 June"

Perhaps it will be changed if it is confirmed, following the current and ongoing investigation, that it was in fact an authentic Islamic terrorist attack?

The title of the thread on this discussion forum is not correct and should not be taken as fact as it was titled before it was known to be an Islamic terrorist. It should be changed and it should be moved to the rampage killings and terrorist attacks section. jmo idk

Hi Everyone,

I'll be starting a new thread a bit later today. Sorry for the delay.

Tricia

So let me get this straight...

Exploring ALL information/circumstances surrounding this evil murderous person = Islam/Islamic sympathizer

AND

Posting about global views on violence in America = Anti-American/America bashing

Okay...

Why don't we talk about the patriarchal attitudes of Muslims? That would be more relevant to this discussion. And the horrific crimes being committed by radical Muslims in the name of Islam. That would be more relevant to this discussion.

For some reason some posters are dead set on dragging this thread off topic.

It does matter in terms of what brought him to murder. We need to know what to look for in the future. In terms of mental illness, much like the Chattanooga terrorist, did that make him an easy target for ISIS? Did they have contact with him, more than internet connections? Extremely important, imo!

obviouly! mental health extremely important to me as well! No matter what word we put in what order obviously he had mental issues - its the foundation of this horror. To put a blanket on it is IMO naive,bigeted, uneducated, reeks of Hitler and segreation

truly scary you would hope we have moved along and become enlighted

as of now, imo, its a mass shooting/ that has terrorized many --with a bunch of confusing wrong media reports!!

The latest contribution from the NY Times on a comprehensive look at Mateen: ‘Always Agitated. Always Mad’: Omar Mateen, According to Those Who Knew Him

Much more at the link:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/1...shooting.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

Thank you for linking this article.

What a mess. It seems like there were a few flashes of normalcy, but overall start to finish he was unpredictable and dangerous. Irrational.

But then...

Martin Bielicki, a former dean of students at Martin County High School, remembered in an email that this student “had issues with other students, in particular,” and “always would argue back and even defend himself.”

“I remember Omar as a 14-year-old boy,” Mr. Bielicki wrote. “I look at that yearbook picture of him and it brings back memories of an innocent and likable young man.”

Finally, it seems, rage consumed the man. Over what — infidels, gays, society’s failure to grant him proper deference, all of it — remains unclear.

I wonder if he even knew.

Maybe a manifesto will show up.

So let me get this straight...

Exploring ALL information/circumstances surrounding this evil murderous person = Islam/Islamic sympathizer

AND

Posting about global views on violence in America = Anti-American/America bashing

Okay...

this is the key open minded approach to a very complicated mess, imo

Sure. It gives us some insight into what others are thinking and why they react the way they do. OM was an American influenced by terrorists - what were they saying to him that pushed him over the edge? What's going on here and what is perceived is going on here that causes people to turn to terrorism?

And if you look at dads lifestyle very American, monetary, ties etc western

If you look at OM house I did not see one Koran lying around - totally unlike the other ones,

obviouly! mental health extremely important to me as well! No matter what word we put in what order obviously he had mental issues - its the foundation of this horror. To put a blanket on it is IMO naive,bigeted, uneducated, reeks of Hitler and segreation

truly scary you would hope we have moved along and become enlighted

as of now, imo, its a mass shooting/ that has terrorized many --with a bunch of confusing wrong media reports!!

Your comment combined with the NYT article prompted me to look this up. Because I agree he had issues - more than one - but what could have caused him to start so early in life?

Does traumatic brain injury cause violence?

Suppose you are called to testify in the trial of a suspect, abused as a child, who has been charged with aggravated assault. How would you respond to this question:

You would be fully justified to state that traumatic brain injury (TBI) can cause and worsen a wide range of psychiatric symptoms including psychosis, mood symptoms, anxiety, cognitive deficits, and impulsivity. Could you also present sufficient evidence of TBI as a cause of violence?

That could be more difficult. TBI-induced criminality remains a central and controversial area within forensic psychiatry. Behavior resulting from injury has been implicated in violence and crime, especially when coexisting with substance abuse, a violent environment during childhood including abuse, and pre-existing personality disorder. The literature is vast and covers a spectrum of opinions, allowing the forensic psychiatrist to find evidence that would support the prosecution or the defense. Judge for yourself.

Especially interesting, imo, are the references to child abuse.

For the defense: TBI does lead to criminality

In one study by Brooks et al of 42 individuals with severe TBI, threats of violence increased from 15% 1 year after sustaining head injury to 54% 5 years after.4 What’s more, at the 5-year follow-up, 31% of these patients had legal problems and 20% of their relatives had been assaulted by them at least once.

A study by Sarpata et al also supports the argument that TBI leads to criminality.5 They argue that TBI patients should be expected to commit crimes because they have poor cognitive skills, impulsivity, and increased aggression, as well as low tolerance for frustration and poor judgment. In their study of 18 subjects in a community corrections day program in Vigo County, Indiana, they found that a large percentage of offenders (50%) reported head injury.5 In contrast, the prevalence of head injury in the general population is 2%to 5%.

Right.

The title of the thread is not "Dutch crime rates"

For some reason some posters are dead set on dragging this thread off topic.

Yes. Because global views of Americans, murderous toddlers, Catholics & Protestants in Ireland, and Dutch crime rates are so much more relevant to this discussion than Islamic terrorism.

I wonder why they would remove his talk about his allegiance to radical islamic groups, not the first time they have edited things out.

Lynch said the FBI on Monday willl release a partial transcript of Orlando police department hostage negotiators talking to Mateen inside the nightclub. However, much of his talk about allegience to radical Islamic groups has been removed, she said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ts-in-orlando-club-massacre.html?intcmp=hpbt2

bbm

Yes. Because global views of Americans, murderous toddlers, Catholics & Protestants in Ireland, and Dutch crime rates are so much more relevant to this discussion than Islamic terrorism.

I have friends from all over the globe. The continuous hate bashing of Muslims is revolting to me. As it says in the Bible, look at the log in your own eye. Americans have the same patriarchal , killing of children, and whatever heinous things you want to say about Muslims. It is not true of all Americans nor is it true of all Muslims.

I'm certain there are mosques in the United States that allow non Muslims. If you dress modestly and respect their customs you would likely be welcomed to observe.
No, they are not allowed. If female, absolutely not. If male, I would suggest calling ahead and explain why. Which in the atmosphere today, I doubt very seriously they will allow you. Who could blame them....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member