Found Deceased PA - Dakota James, 23, Pittsburgh, 25 Jan 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what's possible in regards to the "self-driving" Ubers or when they operate, but what are the chances that one of the many contraptions on one of the cars caught a glimpse of Dakota? I know LE has said they've reviewed footage from all security cameras, but I was wondering if they considered the Uber's cameras. They've been in Pittsburgh for a while now gathering data. This is a quote from the Uber website. "The Uber ATC car comes outfitted with a variety of sensors including radars, laser scanners, and high resolution cameras to map details of the environment."

https://newsroom.uber.com/us-pennsylvania/new-wheels/

It sounded to me like they have footage of him at the end of Scott, and that is where it ends. They said once he got to where it intersects with FDB it ends there. But after what the mom said, who knows anymore.

I read that too. It also said something to the effect that the video becomes blurry because the camera is too far away. It does not show if he went left or right at the end of the alley near FDB. The next camera that would have picked him up was not working. It was full of water.

I took the press conference to mean that there is no visual evidence of him crossing any of the bridges. However, I wonder if all of the bridge cameras are functioning.

I don't understand why the police don't obtain a warrant for Grindr, and subpoena their records and then interview whomever it was that he was talking to if he was using Grindr....that would help to provide some answers too, maybe.

That is really strange. I will admit that when I was much younger I could drink a lot and did party with friends frequently, (drinking). I have never been unable to remember afterwards even when drinking way beyond what I should have. For someone to not remember much indicates that they had been drinking a heavy amount or the co-worker is not being completely truthful about things. (?)

I had read or heard somewhere that the Uber driver did not have much to say.

That is really strange. I will admit that when I was much younger I could drink a lot and did party with friends frequently, (drinking). I have never been unable to remember afterwards even when drinking way beyond what I should have. For someone to not remember much indicates that they had been drinking a heavy amount or the co-worker is not being completely truthful about things. (?)
In situations like this (missing person), is it typical for the employer and school administrators to not make a statement about the general standing of the employee/student? Or would that be a privacy breech?

Is it typical for the last person to have spent time with him (i.e., the Uber co-worker) to not come forward and offer a statement?

Apologies if these are newbie questions, but I've never followed a missing person case before. Being from the area, it's difficult to not get drawn into things.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Some more thoughts/questions based on the press conference:

1. I believe Pittsburgh police were just trying to show the public they are actively working the case since they are tired of getting a bad rap from people.

2. Why would police say DJ texted his father if that was incorrect and it was in fact a "butt dial" ? They are two completely different things. A text may contain useful information.

3. To have a better idea of what could have happened to him next as he approached the end of Scott Place/ near FDB, we need to know who/what he was texting prior to putting his phone in his pocket. It would also be helpful to know his activity on Grindr or whatever app he used prior to 11:46 pm.

4. If he was meeting someone and possibly being picked up in a car on FDB, wouldn't his phone show evidence of that?

5. If no evidence exists that he was trying to meet someone, I think that leads us back to accidental death or unplanned foul play.

1. I believe Pittsburgh police were just trying to show the public they are actively working the case since they are tired of getting a bad rap from people.

IMO, it seems like the police were damned if they did and damned if they didn't. Earlier, some people criticized them for not being vocal. Then when they did speak up, some people accused them of just doing a CYA.

Isn't their a bar/club near Katz Place? Wouldn't that be a place DJ might have went?

Yes, there is a bar with a door in the direction DJ is walking, but you can't tell from still frame if he went there or not. There are a few bars in that block I believe. However, he was seen on the parking garage camera putting his phone away. So, he likely did not enter any of them.

Isn't their a bar/club near Katz Place? Wouldn't that be a place DJ might have went?

Even if DJ did make it to FDB, he still could have entered Encore on 7th apartments on FDB.

IMO, it seems like the police were damned if they did and damned if they didn't. Earlier, some people criticized them for not being vocal. Then when they did speak up, some people accused them of just doing a CYA.

I agree. I think this presser was in response to social media chatter.
And I think LE has proved they have not been sitting on their hands.

Central Pennsylvania

From the press conference, it's clear that LE thinks Dakota is in the river and will be found at some point.

Occam's Razor, I guess.

Am I remembering correctly that it was stated in PC that they have no footage of him on or near the bridge on both sides?

Central Pennsylvania

Going back to previous posts about the parking garage entrance/exit. Here's a view of that area. The red says "DJ likely seen near this spot putting his phone in his pocket." Past the brick wall separating the garage entrance and the pass through, he's probably out of the camera's field of vision.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 173
- Where did the whole Grindr thing come into play? As in how there so much focus is on that app vs other cell phone activity. Seems as though there has been so much hype about it and I missed what happened or what was revealed to make that a main focus.

- I could see something coming across as a "butt dial" in the moment. But...perhaps maybe, there was more to the butt dial; something going on in the background that wasn't being picked up on because at that time it didn't seem like anything more than that. I know not everyone sits and listens to the whole thing bc it doesn't seem like anything but a mistake

-Out of curiosity I'm wondering if anyone knows...you know how you read about a car accident and people say it can be tracked through the phone company that someone was screwing with their phone whether texting, talking, fidgeting with other apps? Is that a real thing that can be tracked or just something that is exaggerated?

2. Why would police say DJ texted his father if that was incorrect and it was in fact a "butt dial" ? They are two completely different things. A text may contain useful information.

3. To have a better idea of what could have happened to him next as he approached the end of Scott Place/ near FDB, we need to know who/what he was texting prior to putting his phone in his pocket. It would also be helpful to know his activity on Grindr or whatever app he used prior to 11:46 pm.

https://www.grindr.com/privacy-policy/

Grindr Privacy Policy

• Other Disclosures. Regardless of any choices you make regarding your Personal Data (as described below), Grindr may disclose Personal Data in response to subpoenas, warrants, or court orders, or in connection with any legal process, or to comply with relevant laws; to establish or exercise our rights to defend against legal claims; if we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, safety of person or property, violation of our policies, or as otherwise required by law.

If LE had "probable cause" or "reasonable expectation" that DJ's disappearance was in some way related to his use of Grindr they likely would be able to obtain necessary subpoenas or warrants.

The fact that DJ is missing and that he used Grindr (I'm assuming Grindr is the app in question because of comments found on SM) might not meet criteria necessary to obtain those legal devices.

That DJ's mother has seemingly accused Grindr of holding back information without providing proof seems a result of her continuing frustration with not knowing what happened to her son. What information is it that she believes they held back? On what is she basing her accusation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ameesqt