IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find it online so if someone can do that awesome. But my son has an iPhone and just tried to upload a picture to the cloud. You cannot do this unless you are connected to Wi-Fi. I am pretty sure there is no Wi-Fi on the bridge. I don't know about android but I suspect it is the same. It's too much data to upload over regular phone connection.

Things to ponder when the subject of where the pictures and video were found.

Moo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Android doesn't matter. I'm able to set it to WiFi only or data.

sorry all for saying the phone was found on her... Thought I read that somewhere legitimate. I guess rumors and facts get confused when you see something repeated so many times. :truce:

Because it was not stated by LE and was only stated by one media outlet who has make other mistakes or misstatements in the past we have sort of set it aside and not built theories on it too much since it's not a sure thing. It is a very interesting statement. I wish other news reporters had said that!

I can't find it online so if someone can do that awesome. But my son has an iPhone and just tried to upload a picture to the cloud. You cannot do this unless you are connected to Wi-Fi. I am pretty sure there is no Wi-Fi on the bridge. I don't know about android but I suspect it is the same. It's too much data to upload over regular phone connection.

Things to ponder when the subject of where the pictures and video were found.

Moo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
There are also other programs that backup these things, such as Amazon, Dropbox, and Google. It depends on the settings. I imagine some parents have these clouds set-up. I know I would. I might not even tell my kid.

I don't know whether it's been confirmed that Libby has an iPhone (maybe I missed it), but I agree about the wifi connection being required to automatically backup to the cloud.

That said my Android is set up to automatically back up to a third party app (in my case, Dropbox). My friend has her iPhone set to do the same - I think she uses Dropbox, too. This can be done over network or wifi. Not saying Libby's phone automatically backs up to a third party app, necessarily.
I may be way off base but if I'm not mistaken, Snapchat requires wifi. Just thinking about my granddaughter's usage of it. She uses my old phone that is no longer connected to any network. Isn't that what was used to post Abby's picture? If so, wifi must be available at the bridge, or close to, even if only intermittently. Just my 2 cents........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I may be way off base but if I'm not mistaken, Snapchat requires wifi. Just thinking about my granddaughter's usage of it. She uses my old phone that is no longer connected to any network. Isn't that what was used to post Abby's picture? If so, wifi must be available at the bridge, or close to, even if only intermittently. Just my 2 cents........

Absolutely false. I use snapchat and you don't need Wifi

Your old phone most likely doesn't have a service plan tied to it. That's why snapchat only works with wifi. Snapchat does not require wifi:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not necessary to have wifi if you have a cell connection. You are saying your granddaughter's phone does not have cell service, so it would need to be in wifi to connect to Snapchat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://mic.com/articles/165081/how-to-use-snapchat-without-wi-fi-or-data#.6wIr7ti0d

Not necessary to have wifi if you have a cell connection. You are saying your granddaughter's phone does not have cell service, so it would need to be in wifi to connect to Snapchat.

y'all are confusing me here. Isn't cell service the same as wifi?

No, it doesn't. I'm using now without WiFi

When a search party is formed how do they decide where to search?

Your old phone most likely doesn't have a service plan tied to it. That's why snapchat only works with wifi. Snapchat does not require wifi:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duh. Thanks! That was what I was trying to say. I was trying to figure out the cloud piece but I have an Android and have it set to automatically save there. The other phone (Android too) I think does the same just because I find all my granddaughter's stuff is there too, lol.

Cell service means a connection that would allow you to make calls or access the internet (through a provider like T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, etc.). Wifi is a connection to a local network that can (and usually does), in turn, allow you to connect to the internet. If you don't have cell service, you can still connect through wifi, if there is a wifi connection available where you are. Conversely, if you are out of range of a wifi connection, you can still access the internet if you have cell service where you are.

Nope, different things. Wifi is a wireless internet connection to your home internet or a public wireless network. Cell service for smartphones includes a data connection such as 4G or LTE that's part of your cellular plan. Wifi is generally used at home or at places that provide hotspots, like Target and Starbucks.

ETA: someone already answered more succinctly!

No, it is not considered the same, though it effectively provides the same outcome; Connection to the Internet.

One connects to a cellular network via cellular towers. The term Wi-Fi is generally describes being connected to a wireless internet connection via a router.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member