Found Deceased TX - Michael Chambers, 70, Hunt County, 10 March 2017 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a thought, perhaps a phone expert can weigh in here.

I know dispatch can "track" a phone that is calling 911 (relatively accurately, although not always). But how quickly/easily can they do it with a phone that is not online with them?

RM states in his facebook live interview that the dispatcher pinged MC's phone right when they got the 911 call he was missing and it was in the vicinity of the 2 mile bridge. He pretty much stated it as fact, so we are all wondering why he didn't go immediately in that area and search. That is the stuff the Sheriff is throwing out that is not making good sense to anyone with half a brain. Why search around the house if the dispatcher pinged his phone close to 2 mile bridge?

I know dispatch can "track" a phone that is calling 911 (relatively accurately, although not always). But how quickly/easily can they do it with a phone that is not online with them?

That has been confusing me also. Like you said, they can track a phone that called them, but one that has supposedly already been thrown into the lake hours before? I didn’t realize they could do that. I’ll see what I can find online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another note on the phone activity....I have read on some of these threads that if an adult is missing because they want to be missing, that is their prerogative.

If your adult child is "missing", as a parent I don't think you have the "right" to ask LE to find them by pinging their phone.

Does LE have the "right" to try to find an adult just because their spouse calls and says they cannot find them?

I understand the need to do that, but is it legal to do that just because a spouse says you are missing?

Just looking at the legal aspect of this tidbit of info.

Another note on the phone activity....I have read on some of these threads that if an adult is missing because they want to be missing, that is their prerogative.

If your adult child is "missing", as a parent I don't think you have the "right" to ask LE to find them by pinging their phone.

Does LE have the "right" to try to find an adult just because their spouse calls and says they cannot find them?

I understand the need to do that, but is it legal to do that just because a spouse says you are missing?

I wouldn’t think it would be legal to ping anyone’s phone unless there was a reason to believe they were in danger. I mean, you can’t get records from most carriers without a warrant or subpoena, so why would a dispatcher be able to do it just because? And I’m extremely skeptical of them having the ability to do that, especially a smaller agency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wouldn’t think it would be legal to ping anyone’s phone unless there was a reason to believe they were in danger. I mean, you can’t get records from most carriers without a warrant or subpoena, so why would a dispatcher be able to do it just because? And I’m extremely skeptical of them having the ability to do that, especially a smaller agency.

Mee too and I cannot get passed this statement RM made. I just want to prove him wrong so badly!

Mee too and I cannot get passed this statement RM made. I just want to prove him wrong so badly!

I mean, why would even some of the larger agencies reach out to the feds or TXDPS for help with phone information if the random dispatcher could do it?

I sure would like to know more info from the people who extracted this info 8 months after the phone quit.

Did they get a subpoena? Did they just request records? How did they do it?

I sure would like to know more info from the people who extracted this info 8 months after the phone quit.

Did they get a subpoena? Did they just request records? How did they do it?

It’s my understanding that they’ve had it the whole time. But that they sat on it for 8 months. That part is a bit confusing for me.

I mean, why would even some of the larger agencies reach out to the feds or TXDPS for help with phone information if the random dispatcher could do it?

It is done through their 911 system. All it took with MC was for his wife to call 911 and report him missing, then LE came to the residence and found blood and saw he really was missing. They began to search the 10 acres and I imagine at that time they used their dispatch to locate him. May have even called his carrier.
This article is interesting because it describes how they cannot get accurate information if someone is on a body of water.
https://www.ems1.com/technology/art...atchers-know-where-you-are-when-you-dial-911/
What I wonder about is the time it takes to ping off different towers, the process they use to pinpoint the location (without GPS information which does take a little time coming from the carrier). Here is a good graphic for what it means to triangulate for someone who might not know.
attachment.php

They can tell the distance from the tower by the speed the signal moves.
So if they pinged his phone from one tower, and then another, I'm not sure but assume those are 2 different calls. The VI early comment about them only getting 2 towers and while they were in the process, I think she meant before they could get the 3rd it went dead or was turned off. I wonder if someone saw HCSO on caller ID during this process and disposed of the phone before they could complete.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180416-083725.jpg
    Screenshot_20180416-083725.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 154
It’s my understanding that they’ve had it the whole time. But that they sat on it for 8 months. That part is a bit confusing for me.

Meeks states they didn't get this info for 6-8 months. He got it from the original PI the family hired early on. (A retired LE PI at that! LOL) ;)When asked if there had been any cameras that spotted him, he said "by the time we got this info too much time had passed and the store video footage was gone".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-holds/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.51ff99d77088

Trying to do some research into the emergency phone ping laws, but much of it is over my head. Here's one that at least mentions it. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for that interesting article! Even the police have to ask for that information and show extenuating reasons.

I can just see what would happen otherwise...."Hey my friend the dispatcher Sally! My husband isn't home yet.....can you ping his phone and tell me where he's at? Sure! Oh....he's down at Harry's Bar!"

Fight ensues later that night, cops are called and it's all Sally the dispatcher's fault! I'm not buying the dispatcher can do this.

So the garage was built right before
he retired in 2008. What do you suppose the $180,000 was for? A refinance maybe? A consolidation of debts? It looked like a 15 year loan.
What are your thoughts?

The house and shop were built at around the same time. The shop has a half bathroom. Meaning stand up shower, sink and toilet.

Thanks, cchambers18, appreciate the information. So glad you joined us again...

The house and shop were built at around the same time. The shop has a half bathroom. Meaning stand up shower, sink and toilet.

Happy to see you again cchambers! We are working hard to figure out what happened to Papaw! Think about your family all the time.

I think the blood made them suspect foul play. All the early reports said they feared he may have been harmed. That would give them the right to ping.

It is the same process. They just need the phone number. When someone calls 911 their number is on the screen and the dispatcher is pinging the number back to get its location. When looking for a phone they just have to know the number and then they do the same thing.

Thank you. I remain a tad confused though. Is the loan that they are currently carrying for the house and
the shop? Did the home or shop have air conditioners or central air?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

RM states in his facebook live interview that the dispatcher pinged MC's phone right when they got the 911 call he was missing and it was in the vicinity of the 2 mile bridge. He pretty much stated it as fact, so we are all wondering why he didn't go immediately in that area and search. That is the stuff the Sheriff is throwing out that is not making good sense to anyone with half a brain. Why search around the house if the dispatcher pinged his phone close to 2 mile bridge?
I don't remember if it was stated in the interview or by VI, I think the latter said that they could only get 2 towers before it went off. They need 3 towers to locate so they said the results were inconclusive.
What I just thought about, the expert said the phone left his home at 2:30 and traveled between 4.5 -4.8 mph with one stop for about 17.5 miles. So, depending on how long it stopped at the top of the hill it would have arrived at the bridge in about 4 hrs or at 6:30. BC came home and called 911 at 6:55 to report him missing. If LE pinged his phone at that time it should have been at the bridge for a few minutes. But no one had come to the house so she called Suzy and others at 7:20 I think and she told her to call again. HCSO showed up shortly after the 2nd call, not sure what time but I guess 7:30, saw the blood and considered him missing at that point. It seems like that is when they would have pinged, at the same time they started to search for him. So the phone would have been at the bridge for an hr or more at that time but it was still functional until it was pinged a couple of times and then it went off. That adds an odd hour or more unexplained into the timeline of Meeks suicide theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa