CANADA - Davion, 5, disappeared, found w/life-threatening injuries, Bramptom, July'18 *Arrest*

Court appearance today for man charged after Brampton boy, 5, found critically injured
"According to investigators, Dyon Smart, the ex-boyfriend of the child’s mother, has been charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault, failing to comply with a recognizance, and breach of a probation order.

The Children’s Aid Society has been notified of the incident and Peel Regional Police’s Special Victims Unit is now handling the case.

Smart appeared in court on Thursday afternoon and is expected to return to the Brampton Court of Justice on Friday."

Welcome to Websleuths!! It is very surprising he is not still in jail from that charge. I wonder if the victim refused to cooperate and there was no choice but to plea him out.

Actually, it happens so often anymore it's really not surprising at all. Either drastically reduced charges or a pathetically weak sentence to begin with, or dropped charges all together. It happens way too often. And the criminal goes right back to doing what they do, nearly every single time.
:mad:

Sickening to read a page back a neighbor woke to a bang/thud sound at 2 a.m. Same time "Mother" states she checked in on the little man. Riiight!!!!

What this implies will cause me nightmares for sure.. If Mom is a part of this horror story ( which she very likely is IMO) they disposed of this poor child rather than to call an ambulance for help. And then made up all this BS , using the storyline which so many other have used. (Sleeping, waking up with child gone and front door open, involving the neighbours by giving them a "show" etc. ...)
Jmo....and thinking out loud.

Last edited:
Actually, it happens so often anymore it's really not surprising at all. Either drastically reduced charges or a pathetically weak sentence to begin with, or dropped charges all together. It happens way too often. And the criminal goes right back to doing what they do, nearly every single time.
:mad:

O/T but here is why - an article from yesterday.

Charges have been thrown out against five men in a $13-million fraud case because there was no judge available until January to preside over their 12-week trial in Toronto.

In a decision staying the charges last week, Superior Court Justice Bonnie Croll said there simply aren’t enough judges in a court with a “heavy and challenging caseload” to hear every case in a timely manner.
The ruling comes as the Superior Court of Justice — which handles all civil cases and the most serious criminal cases such as murder — continues to warn that other criminal cases may be dismissed unless the federal justice minister appoints more judges soon.

Charges stayed in $13M fraud case because no judge available for trial | The Star

O/T but here is why - an article from yesterday.

Charges have been thrown out against five men in a $13-million fraud case because there was no judge available until January to preside over their 12-week trial in Toronto.

In a decision staying the charges last week, Superior Court Justice Bonnie Croll said there simply aren’t enough judges in a court with a “heavy and challenging caseload” to hear every case in a timely manner.
The ruling comes as the Superior Court of Justice — which handles all civil cases and the most serious criminal cases such as murder — continues to warn that other criminal cases may be dismissed unless the federal justice minister appoints more judges soon.

Charges stayed in $13M fraud case because no judge available for trial | The Star
Sound like more judges are needed! Do they usually bring the charges back in serious crimes when a judge is available? I mean, do criminals really have anything to fear? Otherwise it's each man for himself!

Sound like more judges are needed! Do they usually bring the charges back in serious crimes when a judge is available? I mean, do criminals really have anything to fear? Otherwise it's each man for himself!

O/T - no and no - the current rules are that a case must be heard in court about 18 months after charges are laid (unless otherwise agreed by both sides). If not - take a walk. Nothing to fear imo.

Thank-you for the update Alice Ramnit - from the same link -

Police say he is now in stable condition.

So glad to hear this youngster is 'in stable condition'. I fear for his quality of life going forward though.

Just listened to CBC Toronto news - a female reporter, in Brampton, confirmed on air that Smart was not suppose to be at that complex due to the charges last September.

Hope to see that in writing on their website soon or somewhere else.

Guessing that Smart was visiting the gf/mom last September and got into an altercation with a neighbor who was then stabbed by Smart. Mom knew this imo - I refuse to go to alternate universe for her and believe otherwise. And if he was at the home of this little boy at 2:00 - 6:00 am the other day, well mom has to come clean on why and accept the consequences. Those consequences will not be nearly as awful as what her son will go through when he comes out of the medically induced coma he's currently in.

Somewhere another child (many children) are in the same dangerous situation as this child due to a parent thinking of themselves rather than the safety of their child/ren.

So he was living with Davion's mother, Miranda and no one called the police to report it.

"Neighbours say that, until Thursday, Smart was hanging around the townhouse complex and bunking with the boy’s mother, Miranda.

Police sources say they have so many people on bail to keep track of, it would have helped if someone had called them to report Smart’s alleged breach of conditions."

WARMINGTON: Accused in attempted murder of boy appears in court

So he was living with Davion's mother, Miranda and no one called the police to report it.

"Neighbours say that, until Thursday, Smart was hanging around the townhouse complex and bunking with the boy’s mother, Miranda.

Police sources say they have so many people on bail to keep track of, it would have helped if someone had called them to report Smart’s alleged breach of conditions."

I understand why people would be reluctant, even fearful, of getting involved with Smart being where he should not be - but there is always Crime Stoppers as a way to do the right thing and stay anonymous.

Maybe it's time for a new campaign about Crime Stoppers to remind people to use it for public safety. Jmo.

Just to highlight the previous bail condition from this link -

And despite what police sources told the Sun were bail conditions to stay away, neighbours say he has been residing in Unit 145, where the boy, Davion, lives with his mother.

“I have seen a lot of him lately,” a woman said of Smart.

I wish young single mothers and fathers would come here and read the unfortunate stories we read. Story after story after story...all with similar characters and beginnings...and every one of them with the same sad ending. It’s unbelievable how often this crap story plays out.
I am a single Mum to 11 year old twins and it’s because of my 22 years spent as a Detective in Law Enforcement AND being a member of WS and reading the posts on here that I will not date or have a BF/a relationship with another man who is not my Children’s father! ( unless I know him of old over many years ). As far as I am concerned, until my twins are at a less vulnerable age ( I’ve been divorced since they were 6), I will place that part of my life on hold because in the grand scheme of life, it’s not for too long and I owe it to my twins to protect them at all cost. Maybe when they reach 14/15 then I will reconsider but until then I will happily stay single. I know there are good step dads out there and I also know that others disagree with me and tell me that I too have a life to live BUT I’m not willing to take the chance. Not because I’m a martyr but purposely to protect my children. And you could say that even if you met a man whom you have known many years in passing and decided to have a relationship with him, he could still turn out to be a child abuser, I concur with that train of thought but at least I would have done the best I can as a mother to protect my children from harm. They are my priority and a few short years of abstinence will do me no harm.
JMO and pls do not take it from this that I am judgemental about other people who choose to do the opposite to me as I’m not and I respect their choices made !

I am a single Mum to 11 year old twins and it’s because of my 22 years spent as a Detective in Law Enforcement AND being a member of WS and reading the posts on here that I will not date or have a BF/a relationship with another man who is not my Children’s father! ( unless I know him of old over many years ). As far as I am concerned, until my twins are at a less vulnerable age ( I’ve been divorced since they were 6), I will place that part of my life on hold because in the grand scheme of life, it’s not for too long and I owe it to my twins to protect them at all cost. Maybe when they reach 14/15 then I will reconsider but until then I will happily stay single. I know there are good step dads out there and I also know that others disagree with me and tell me that I too have a life to live BUT I’m not willing to take the chance. Not because I’m a martyr but purposely to protect my children. And you could say that even if you met a man whom you have known many years in passing and decided to have a relationship with him, he could still turn out to be a child abuser, I concur with that train of thought but at least I would have done the best I can as a mother to protect my children from harm. They are my priority and a few short years of abstinence will do me no harm.
JMO and pls do not take it from this that I am judgemental about other people who choose to do the opposite to me as I’m not and I respect their choices made !

When I was a single mom, I met a man who liked my kids and they liked him.
After a few happy months we moved in together. This man became a tyrant and our lives were turned upside down. Without details, I was shell shocked and got out of there immediately with my children. Sexual abuse, no. Physical and mental abuse, yes. This was short lived and my heart goes out to people that endure abuse for years.

Great step fathers do not move in with, or marry, the mother after knowing her for a few months.

There are plenty of step parents that are stepping up and making a difference. . Some relationships move fast, some slow. There are almost always signs..CPS involment, drugs, past history of violence, or trouble with the law. The important thing is to be viligent and when you see signs to act fast. Sounds like that is exactly what the poster did. I commend you for that! Each person has to make the judgment call for themselves.

What’s sad is when the signs are there and the parent chooses to ignore them and choose the partner over their child.

There are plenty of step parents that are stepping up and making a difference. . Some relationships move fast, some slow. There are almost always signs..CPS involment, drugs, past history of violence, or trouble with the law. The important thing is to be viligent and when you see signs to act fast. Sounds like that is exactly what the poster did. I commend you for that! Each person has to make the judgment call for themselves.

What’s sad is when the signs are there and the parent chooses to ignore them and choose the partner over their child.
Absolutely - you make your point in a very succinct way and I couldn’t agree more!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back