ME Case #2010-05997
60-70 years old,
Brown Hair,
5' 5", estimated
98 lbs, estimated
Postmortem interval: Weeks
Body found at 1000 N. Main Street, Los Angeles, CA - Recycling Center
Body was wrapped in sheets and plastic

Unknown if DNA or dentals are available, due to Namus public access change.

bjnunezuid.jpg BJ Nunez 5.jpg

Side by side of Barbara Jean Nunez Missing Person Case and this UID# 8269 Unidentified Person Case
UID - Brown hair MP - Brown hair
UID - 5' 5" MP - 5' 2" to 5' 5"
UID - 98 lbs MP - 105 to 112 lbs

Dental/fingerprints are available for Barbara Jean Nunez, but Namus doesn't show any information regarding DNA/Dentals/Fingerprints for the Unidentified Female.

So, if anyone can tell me whether it's worth submitting as a possible match, please let me know.

View attachment 139428 View attachment 139429

Side by side of Barbara Jean Nunez Missing Person Case and this UID# 8269 Unidentified Person Case
UID - Brown hair MP - Brown hair
UID - 5' 5" MP - 5' 2" to 5' 5"
UID - 98 lbs MP - 105 to 112 lbs

Dental/fingerprints are available for Barbara Jean Nunez, but Namus doesn't show any information regarding DNA/Dentals/Fingerprints for the Unidentified Female.

So, if anyone can tell me whether it's worth submitting as a possible match, please let me know.

Facials yes, MP would be approx. 53 in 2010 (body found) a little younger that the estimated age UID 60-70. BTW Barbara had a C-section scar (gave birth?)

Last edited:
Facials yes, MP would be approx. 53 in 2010 (body found) a little younger that the estimated age UID 60-70. BTW Barbara had a C-section scar (gave birth?)

I agree, there is that 7 year difference between 53 (B.Nunez) and 60-70 (UID). Could be too big a difference in age.

I believe that Barbara had at least one son. In fact, her son posted a thank you to Websleuthers who are keeping her case alive. Unfortunately, it was immediately removed by a Moderator, because it was posted in a "non-discussion thread".

Hard to decide whether to submit anymore. Get the feeling that Namus just wants to be a data bank for LE, and are not as welcoming of public submissions.

I usually get the most polite responses from the unidentified person's medical examiner, when I can find out who that is.

I've been told off the record that all the missing/unidentified sites are swamped by suggestions for the same people who have been ruled out years ago but submitters just don't believe it or "maybe you should just double check."

Thank you to the Mod who merged this thread. Did a search before I posted, but never saw the original thread.:confused::(

@carbuff Thank you for letting me know that the missing/unidentified sites are swamped. I haven't made a suggestion in quite a long time, but I knew something was up.

Reading through the previous posts from the time this UID was found, it seems initially there was a lot of confusion about the age of this unidentified lady. Makes me wonder how concrete is the estimated age range...
Also, having read the previous posts, they may have fingerprints from the deceased. And as was posted, Barbara Jean Nunez did have fingerprints on file. Perhaps they've already cross checked the fingerprints?

Anyone have a friend at the LA County Coroners office or something like that?...;)

Last edited:
Pulling up this article again, because there is a lot of interesting info about this UID.

Jane Doe 52's Secret Could Have Been Unlocked, But the Authorities Incinerated Her - LA Weekly

• She was found on a recycling hub on the outskirts of Chinatown.
  • She was wrapped in a sheet and trash bags, she was accompanied only by a metal socket, an inexpensive silver ring and a piece of hominy — or popcorn, according to the coroner’s report — stuck in her hair.
  • Jane Doe 52 was “released” for cremation on May 9, 2011 Unknown to LAPD, her skull and the rest of her body were cremated by the L.A. Coroner’s Office within two years of her discovery, a government official confirms to L.A. Weekly. Before a 3D recon could be made the body was gone from the evidence room.
  • A few fingerprints collected from Jane Doe 52’s decomposed hands didn’t match anything in LAPD’s databases.
  • She was so drastically decomposed that it’s difficult to determine even her race or ethnicity. It’s known only that she was not black.
  • She was discovered wrapped in multiple layers of plastic, and could have been stored, possibly in a fridge or freezer, before being dumped, her insides were “mush and her hair was sliding off her head.
  • “We couldn’t determine her eye color,” he says, although the Coroner's Office ultimately selected brown for its online report. <Namus: n/a, medical examiner file: brown eyes, brown hair.>
  • She probably wasn’t extremely poor. Her fingernails and toenails were well-manicured, her hair was dyed <brown listed, she could have had white or gray(ing) hair> and she recently had had some “high-end” dental work.
  • The autopsy “revealed no definite evidence of antemortem trauma,” meaning there were no clear-cut signs of injury before death. (Broken bones and ribs where antemortum, due to recycling truck’s compactor)
  • Someone may have panicked when she died naturally. Maybe they decided to capitalize on it somehow — for example, by getting rid of her body and collecting Social Security checks she may have been receiving.
  • Experts estimate her age between 40 and 70, most likely on the older end. She appeared to be overweight, was missing her gallbladder and spleen and had suffered from atherosclerosis. <Namus states 60 -70 yrs>
  • She may have been in a hospital or care center, as her body was wrapped in Angelica sheets, linens often used by health care facilities. Investigators canvassed such locations along the recycle route, but the Angelica brand is ubiquitous, Putnam says.“It’s basically like saying you had white, whatever Target brand, white bedsheets,” < IMO brand is a dead end>
  • There was hominy, a silver ring and a socket from a tool set found wrapped up with her. They may have been swept up in her wrapping when she was jostled in transit or dumped onto the recycling conveyor belt. < Namus doesn't state the ring was on the body....it's hard for me to think this ring didn't belong to her>
  • Even where she was placed along the 22-mile recycling route the truck may have traveled is unknown. The route (running through diverse L.A. neighborhoods, including Koreatown and Griffith Park) was searched (flyers, dogs) LE concluded that even if they found the exact dumping place it wouldn't necessary lead to something, anybody could have put the body in the trash bin.
Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner Why is the recon not up??

Last edited:
I heard back from Mr. Machian and they ruled out Katherine on dentals.

Webrocket posted this in 2015, so despite the remains are cremated (after May 2011?), the dental records must still be there.

Last edited:
Missing her gallbladder and spleen could mean she had Hereditary spherocytosis and had a combined operation (just speculation) Namus, nor the medical examiner file mentions a or two scars, probably no longer visible due to decomp. Of course she could have had both operations on separate occasions too.

This is the most common red blood cell membrane disorder and often is associated with hemolytic crisis and premature cholelithiasis. Splenectomy is the only effective therapy for this disorder and often it is performed in combination with cholecystectomy. Conventional surgery requires a wide upper abdominal incision for correct exposure of the gallbladder and spleen. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy and splenectomy have been performed safely worldwide. We report our experience with seven patients (one male and six female, average age 12 years) who underwent combined laparoscopic splenectomy and cholecystectomy for hereditary spherocytosis.

Combined laparoscopic splenectomy and cholecystectomy for the treatment of hereditary spherocytosis: is it safe and effective? - PubMed.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back