Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
He also mentioned they are investigating "everyone who was in that area the night of July 18th". This could refer to sexual offenders or convicts who worked at the fair.

I wondered earlier about family members home for the summer who were sexual offenders.

It can be surprising how many people do come and go and not everyone notices them, even in a small town. Usually because they are relatives of neighbors.

I basically think they feel there's no good reason for the public to be sleuthing this and they got it. Whether they have the exact answers, obviously not but they know more than we do any day. We can try to glean a direction from his answers but his whole point is to communicate neutrality on the subject. If he hesitated weird it's because the answers to those questions can be wrangled so poorly and I think he did a great job not giving away any info. While I personally think regardless of what they say or anyone says the likelihood of her being abducted vs willingly leaving is high. She could be anywhere taken by anyone and none of her behaviour would lead to any clues as to who took her. I feel like it could be a complete stranger and she's long gone but that is so soul crushing. Makes me dislike men, no offense. Well because it's most likely some deranged sicko ahole man who felt entitled to ruin a completely innocent person's life because of his sick perversions. Ugh rant

Ugh I pulled up that HLN link and the first thing on the screen was a slide saying that police say she was doing homework on her computer that night, which also hasn't been confirmed anywhere else. Talking head TV is the worst.

The emphasis on "getting to know Mollie" - anyone else wondering if that is because this was done by someone she was close to?

This line of discussion was the only thing I've seen that would make me think she possibly left on her own. As though they wanted to understand her motivations because they could help understand her actions.

Is it likely that LE has done digital forensics on the devices of others who are close to her?

And is there any sort of a database held by any agency (or company) that in some weird Big Brother way keeps track of who (or what devices) are in specific locations at any given time? Kind of like the reverse of identifying, "Cell Phone A was at the following locations at the following times," a method to identify, "These were the devices pinging in the 900 block of Elm Street at 7:00 p.m. on Sunday?"

Apologies for any typos, some words/names are foreign to me!

Kevin Waker
Director of Operations for Public Safety

Tom Kriegle
Sheriff

Special Investigator In Charge
Randy Theisy

Hearts go out to Tibbetts family & Brooklyn community. We've appreciated their cooperation during a very difficult time.

TK
July 19 2018 20 yrs old MT was reported missing
Last seen July 18th at 19:30
Dark running shorts, sports top, running shoes

LE & volunteers have searched tirelessly-30-40 investigators, 200 leads, canines, ground, air
Working case aggressively
Contact established tiplines with any info
Dedicated tipline 800 452 1111 515 223 1400
tips@poweshiekcosheriff.com
£2,000 reward total
Thanks to media for getting the word out

RT
Very proud of law enforcement bro & sis - interviewing skills, tech skills, come together like been together 20 years
Amount of resources spent today & future, very proud.

KW
View the media as a partner, appreciate everything you're doing, sees her face on the news when he gets home.
LE countless hours to investigate.
Every available deputy.
DCI many agents & analysts dedicated across the state
FBI has dedicated agents
12+ agencies have dedicated time as have Fire & EMS & community members
Constant outpouring by community to feed & hydrate investigators

Leads come in, prioritise, follow up on.
Appreciate assistance.
Every investigative resource that team has asked for has been provided.
Not giving up on any leads

We do not plan to provide leads or findings to public at this time.
If we find something that will lead to Mollie we will follow up

Reported missing 19th Jul when not at work

Not identified reason for disappearance

Not ruled out any reason

If we do not confirm or deny anything = this does not mean that you can infer anything.

Public - use phone number/email address
Support the Tibbetts family.
Anything you can do in the community to help us find Mollie

Friday August 3rd - next press conference.

Media wants to talk to LE, but LE keeping investigators on investigation so will do regular briefings every few days.

Questions:
1. Timeline, how important is that?
We have a timeline we're confident in. It's important to us. Important for us to get to know Mollie, what's normal & what isn't. Understanding who was in the area of Brooklyn is important.

2. Where did she disappear from? On or after run?
We're not going to discuss this detail today. Is it something LE need to share with media or for investigative team to deal with? I'll leave it at that.

3. Status of data from FitBit?
Not discussing findings or conclusions. WE're looking at all tech as it relates to Mollie

4. Do you suspect an abduction?
We don't know where Mollie's at right now & not going to draw any conclusions. Not consistent with her past.

5. [unheard]

6. Snapchat. Sent at 10pm or opened at 10pm?
All findings, not talking about them. Best kept with investigative team. Respect that people want to know but our investigators know what's best for Mollie.

7. Any persons of interest?
Pursuing every lead available.

8. [unheard]
We don't have a / we can't tell you why Mollie is missing. Encourage everybody to take standard precautions. Everyone needs to be cognisant of surroundings. If you see something, say something. LE will go to sus activity calls, noises at night. It's what they're paid to do. Vested interested in people of Iowa.

9. Running down every lead. Bodies of water searched? Leads outside county or state>
Running down ALL leads. Kept at investigative team level.

10. Almost 2 weeks -are you still getting new leads/tops
Yes

11. Are you working off searches or tips?
Searches are prioritised as they come in. Investigators prioritising & re=prioritising leads as they come in

AWESOME summary! I had an outpatient procedure today under anesthesia and my brain is muddled. I watched the presser but muddled brain did not retain everything. Appreciate the summary VERY much!

No, it was discussed on HLN Live, the channel I watched. After the PC with the investigator who was on the show following. I did not get his name. He mentioned the guy in the car taking pictures then said they have a person of interest but did not talk about it at the PC. Also, it may be someone she knows.

Was this an investigator who is working the case or just one of the guests on the show giving his opinion?

It’s always more interesting in what they don’t say and how the react when they do speak . My take on it ... the digital footprint through them for a loop... I believe they found something that helped the case, that it did occur that evening ( no mention of a red shirt) , taken by someone she was familiar with but wasn’t local or suppose to be in the area that night. They don’t want to provide a timeline.. no need to. They are trying to flush him out. She may have left willingly however under false pre tenses .

Maybe it's something like the Ying Ying Zhang case. They knew who had abducted her within days of her disappearance but the public wasn't notified until weeks later (they even used their resources to post billboards!). In the mean-time, they had wired up an informant who was feeding them information directly from the perp (he was bragging about his crimes basically). This could all be staged, they could be onto the person, and this whole thing is smoke and mirrors.

I’m going with B. I noticed the hesitation too when asked if the public is at risk, he deflected from mollies case at that point and seemed to give some sort of general safety precaution tips that everyone should follow in their daily lives.

They sound frustrated.

Either:

A) They think she's missing willingly after they've wasted so many investigative hours searching for her
B) They literally have no solid leads whatsoever.

Interesting how he really hesitated when they asked if the public is at risk, though.

I would like to know if the house was all locked up and if she had keys to this house are they also missing.
Hopefully more will be released as of Friday.
Don't expect anything more on Friday. I think they made it clear, they are not going to answer any questions. I think the media should boycott their future press conferences. They are pointless.

Snipped for focus:
I feel like it could be a complete stranger and she's long gone but that is so soul crushing. Makes me dislike men, no offense. Well because it's most likely some deranged sicko ahole man who felt entitled to ruin a completely innocent person's life because of his sick perversions. Ugh rant

I struggle with this as well. Of course women can, and do, commit heinous crimes. But it feels like 95% of the sexual assaults, violent crimes, murders, etc. are committed by men. And it's hard not to feel like men themselves kind of ARE the problem, you know?

It’s always more interesting in what they don’t say and how the react when they do speak . My take on it ... the digital footprint through them for a loop... I believe they found something that helped the case, that it did occur that evening ( no mention of a red shirt) , taken by someone she was familiar with but wasn’t local or suppose to be in the area that night. They don’t want to provide a timeline.. no need to. They are trying to flush him out. She may have left willingly however under false pre tenses .

BBM--I'm starting to think this is a more likely scenario than anything else at this time...

Interesting. Every time I see a press conference like this I always think back to Charlottesville PD Chief, Timothy Longo, and his press conferences. He showed videos they had, provided a timeline and almost berated the public for not providing enough info in the Hannah Graham case. They had the killer tracked down in short order. Then we have this.

Per the Fox News reporter, LE is not stating to the press if she made it home from her run or the condition of the home where she was staying (i.e., signs of break-in, no signs of break-in, presence or absence of signs of a struggle).
He was dreamy.

Oops...I guess that's OT.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads