Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes exactly Homeschool Mom. I live in a small town and my dad had a burn barrel. He was always burning in it (trash). He would bury garbage in a pit he dug, but he would burn trash in the burn barrel. But he would burn trash at all times in the day. Normal in a small town and since it happens all the time it is really not suspicious (or pretty much small town people are used to it). He never had to have a permit either Veracity. Not sure if all towns are the same though.

I know this town of Brooklyn looks really small compared to the town I live in and the town I live in is pretty small. We are considered a small hick town. Usually if you live on the outskirts of town you can pretty much do anything on your property (burn, operate machinery late at night, etc.) without anyone fussing.

I am surprised burn barrels are allowed. They are outlawed in MN. Why? Because the stuff people burn is highly toxic with no scrubbing of the particles released including dioxin
which is one of the most toxic substances that exists.

If this crime was
a. pre-meditated {SA, stalking-related, a revenge crime (against whom?)}
b. done by someone within a 20 mile radius, who knew the area pretty well
c. and, some of the times of MT's movements given to us originally were a little off

here's a sequence:

1. perp drives into brooklyn, 5:00 pm, or so
2. drops off his mother/parents/elderly grandmother/a friend/his children, etc. at the CHURCH
3. waits around, gets a car wash, eats, does whatever
4. follows, and eventually, hurts, disables, silences MT;
5. drives to a temporary location nearby <5 miles away. (hunter's cabin, fishing shack,etc) (throws away, destroys her electronics )
6. hides MT there restrained, or worse.
7. retrieves his family-member(s)/friend at the church
8. takes them home
9. returns to temporary location, retrieves MT, much later that night, or whenever.

DancingMuse, I still keep wondering if this POI could be a fellow church member. I know Mollie was religious. I wonder if someone that went to the church that she went to (if she went to church) took advantage of her (by lying to her or something). Could even be someone that didn't even go to church that much, but enough for Mollie to know them.

The personal vectors on her life that summer were:

Returning home to Brooklyn in May from college.
Her summer job.
Her election to reside outside her mother's home.
Events and travel for her father's wedding.
Her pending trip to the Dominican Republic.
Any others?

I've never been to Brooklyn or the county or to Iowa. So I will leave it to WS locals to fill in the external events there that could have vectored on her life in July. Sort of looking for projects/events that could have placed people in Brooklyn that might not have been there in April or even May, or that could have caused her to be in contact/exposed with different people. For example, were there any local building or construction projects? Highway paving? Utility work? Water Mains? Sewers? Excavations? that might have used labor from outside Brooklyn. I am familiar with the wind farm construction. I am aware of the fair. My interest in the fair runs more to it attracting out of town visitors. I am aware of the cross-state bike rally days after she disappeared. Due to its size, Brooklyn is not going to be any sort of destination for meetings or expositions, etc. Was there anything else in or around town that week of July 17-18 that was out of the ordinary?

BBM
I personally have a lab/great dane mix pup and I have left food for her in the am and she wont eat it if Im not home. If I feed her early enough in the am, she will finish before I leave for work. If I feed her on my way out, she wont eat it till I get back home after work. Not all dogs will eat what is left out - I have a smaller chi/pug mix and she is the same way - she also wont eat her food if its been in her bowl for a couple hours- she doesnt like stale food.
just adding another anecdote - my sister's dog is good about self-regulating her eating. She likes to take her food to be eaten elsewhere and she also prefers to eat at night when everyone is sleeping. We even sometimes have to put the food in front of her and tell her to eat. So not all dogs are piggies :D My lil 15lbs stinker on the other hand would absolutely 100% eat all the food ever until she exploded. And then keep eating some more :p

Her brother Jake was going to go there to give her the car that night and I believe he texted her. Did he ever go there even tho he never heard back from her. Also wouldn't he have wondered why she didn't call in the morning to get the car?? Why would they have found out she was missing when she didn't show up for work. I would think the mother and brother would have known that when she never got in touch to get the car for work.
He didn't text her until next morning so see if she needed a ride home from work...as I've read earlier. He didn't notice she didn't respond until later...again as I've read earlier.

Last edited:
Remember when the mom said LE asked her if Mollie was in a house at 9:45p.m? I've always thought there was some form of communication at that time. I can't find the link to that anywhere anymore tho.
I've always suspected that the question was asked because Mollie's cell phone stopped pinging at that time, which could indicate that she had entered a building. (The signals that they use these days can carry more data, but the penetration into buildings is very poor compared to the old 2G signals.)
Maybe Mollie's fitbit stopped communicating with the satellite at that time, too.

Hi folks.

I haven’t weighed in yet on my assessment of the PC.

My heart is very heavy and I’m overwhelmed with emotion so am going to keep it brief for now.

I have seen 2 other Press Conferences which were very eerily similar—Jessica Ridgeway’s and, as mentioned, Abby’s and Libby’s.

There is little doubt in my mind that a violent sexual predator is likely suspected/at play here, moo.

While pondering why they are not seeing the reason to warn the community, I think this is because they have turned that town upside down and possibly suspect that this predator might not be from the community.

The profile released is the standard FBI profile which I posted in the early threads (by memory, unfortunately), with the addition of some new points (note to comment on specifically later). They also advised the community to “remain vigilant”, which as I mentioned previously is never good.

I have much more to say about this PC, which imo, is quite revealing. But I’m too upset to go into it right now and can barely post.

Is there a full transcription yet of the PC yet anywhere by any chance? This would make it easier for me to specifically outline some thoughts and interpretations if I can respond to it line by line.

I’m very worried about who could be next. I do think there will be a next victim.

Last edited:
Is there any reason Mollie would need to stop by the high school? I noticed it was near one of the spots on the map. There seems to be a lot of blue on people in photos and press, as well as spirit wear. I sure it is a small town thing (I am far from knowledgeable of small town culture) but even dad has worn a lot of blue . Curious if there might be significance in it.

Hoolovesasu, I was thinking she MIGHT have stopped by the high school too. I would THINK it would be too late. But WHAT IF a fellow student told her he/she needed her help or something and for her to meet them there. And that's when they took the opportunity to kidnap her and put her in their vehicle. It would be a pretty secluded area in the afternoon if no one was around from what I can remember.

Her brother Jake was going to go there to give her the car that night and I believe he texted her. Did he ever go there even tho he never heard back from her. Also wouldn't he have wondered why she didn't call in the morning to get the car?? Why would they have found out she was missing when she didn't show up for work. I would think the mother and brother would have known that when she never got in touch to get the car for work.

What we have seen reported is that Mollie would retrieve the car from her mom's in the evening and that JT texted her in the morning to ask if she needed the car that day.

I heard that too, and I think it's inaccurate. According to another article, her mom didn't know if Mollie had a 3rd red shirt. Additionally, it was later reported that Mollie's mom has seen the red shirt that was found and it wasn't Mollie's.
True, but I have yet to see a source for the last statement.

Mollie lived in Brooklyn for >10 years. She had lots of friends there. Perhaps she stopped off at "a house" to visit someone.
Good possibility, She may have made plans to meet later and there would not be a call log. If this was a relationship they wanted to keep secret they would not want to communicate through phone, computer etc. and leave an electronic trail. The person may live in the area or works in the area or they had planned on meeting in these areas of interest marked on the map. This may support the theory she left willingly initially and things took a bad turn. Le may know this but needs more witnesses and evidence.

I've always suspected that the question was asked because Mollie's cell phone stopped pinging at that time, which could indicate that she had entered a building. (The signals that they use these days can carry more data, but the penetration into buildings is very poor compared to the old 2G signals.)
Maybe Mollie's fitbit stopped communicating with the satellite at that time, too.

Very interesting Ozoner, that would make sense. Then LE would have an approximate location of where Mollie's phone stopped pinging and her Fitbit stopped communicating with the satellite.

As a matter of crossing all T’s and dotting all I’s...was the car that Mollie shares with her brothers searched?
In a missing person case, as with many victim-oriented cases, LE starts with those who know the person best -- spouse, fiance, bf/gf, family, ex'es, anyone working on the property inhabited by the missing one, (repairmen/women, roofers, carpenters, lawn workers, etc.), coworkers, and friends, etc. I am sure that LE did that in this case -- searched the bf's house, her home, vehicles, etc., and verified what the family/friends told them. And they have probably done it more than once. Then they branch out.

How likely does everyone think it is that the perp cleaned his vehicle on the 19th, specifically the interior and/or the trunk? I think vehicle was cleaned immediately, but I think perp most likely cleaned it himself vs. going to a car wash.

Do most car washes have cameras? Assuming they do, I hope LE is reviewing 07/19 footage from all car washes within X miles to see who spent an inordinate amount of time vacuuming/scrubbing their interior/trunk.
A motorcycle could have been involved in some way. Perhaps it was cleaned up, new tire, new parts, and placed for sale recently. In fact, there is a motorcycle with make year more than 3 years ago for sale that is IMO in excellent condition with a new tire.

In a missing person case, as with many victim-oriented cases, LE starts with those who know the person best -- spouse, fiance, bf/gf, family, ex'es, anyone working on the property inhabited by the missing one, (repairmen/women, roofers, carpenters, lawn workers, etc.), coworkers, and friends, etc. I am sure that LE did that in this case -- searched the bf's house, her home, vehicles, etc., and verified what the family/friends told them. And they have probably done it more than once. Then they branch out.
With the caveat that they are all related, known each other for years, etc... that clouds the investigation with local LE. Family dynamics also cloud the investigation. My guess is that early on, a tertiary search of the car was done just trying to find her.

How likely does everyone think it is that the perp cleaned his vehicle on the 19th, specifically the interior and/or the trunk? I think vehicle was cleaned immediately, but I think perp most likely cleaned it himself vs. going to a car wash.

Do most car washes have cameras? Assuming they do, I hope LE is reviewing 07/19 footage from all car washes within X miles to see who spent an inordinate amount of time vacuuming/scrubbing their interior/trunk.
When the car was mentioned, I was specifically reminded of Christina Morris’ case and EA. I would like to take a look back at her case for reference, as far as the exact timeline on the vehicle washing. I would imagine the cleaning would occur during the night/early morning hours or the next day.

Last edited:
I've seen several excellent summaries of the presser in the thread, but for anyone who prefers word-for-word, I've transcribed it in the attached file. My job requires a significant amount of transcription, so I'm confident I've recorded what was said accurately (except where noted as [unintelligible], typically when a reporter is talking). Hope it helps.

Fabulous!Thank you very much!!

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxn...nd-areas-in-and-around-brooklyn-iowa.amp.html

Police added the University of Iowa sophomore was last seen jogging in the Brooklyn area that evening and “there have been no credible sightings of, or communications with, Mollie since that time.”

The other highlighted areas are in the vicinity of Tibbett's boyfriend's home, where she was staying at the time she vanished, and two sparsely-populated tracts of farmland only accessible by dirt roads.

One of the farm areas is right next to Big Bear Creek, a waterway that originates 20 miles northwest of Brooklyn, in Gilman. From Brooklyn, the creek runs another 20 miles Northeast to Marengo, where it empties into the Iowa River.
Uggghhhh...

I had mentioned Big Bear Creek upstream for some reason,looking for post. Curious why I mentioned that.

Last edited:
I've seen several excellent summaries of the presser in the thread, but for anyone who prefers word-for-word, I've transcribed it in the attached file. My job requires a significant amount of transcription, so I'm confident I've recorded what was said accurately (except where noted as [unintelligible], typically when a reporter is talking). Hope it helps.
Fabulous, thank you very, very much. This will be very, very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member