Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Thanks, it’s bugging me to death, there was another similar case where the defendant said he blacked out and I can’t seem to remember it for the life of me. )

ETA: I’m looking at Diana’s case, and noticing the perp admitted to smoking meth. I wonder if this perp smokes meth as well?
IMO probably some drugs involved. Not for any reason other than I don’t feel he has the “qualities” of a true stalker/killer. JMO

I get the feeling there is a lot more to this story. First, I don't believe a word of his fake jogging/blacking out lie. Second, I wouldn't be surprised if he put her in the trunk still alive and took her to some home and others violated her. He didn't simply take her straight to the field. moo He's leaving a lot out.

That day he didn't simply see Mollie and decide to prey on her. He's preyed on women before. Seems he's just fine circling women in his car. There is much more to this story and I'm sure a shady past.

Exactly.

He won't come up with $5 million, but if he did, there are other conditions for a release - and he won't make those conditions. I'm not worried about the bond thing in the slightest.

jmo

It’s cash only. It’s miney in his name. No one will give this guy $5,000,000.00 to get out of jail. No one. That’s why the judge set the terms as she did.

I don't think I could support a loved one who led LE to a dead body - I just don't know if I could be in the courtroom.

Maybe the attendees were there to find out the truth. Maybe the accused has been lying to friends/family. We don't know.

Ugh. I don't like that a child was brought to court.

What was that lawyer thinking with that tie?

CR looks stoic.

I'm curious as to how much/how good his English is. I would guess it's pretty good. He's been here long enough.

I like the judge.

I didn't see Mollie's parents there...did I just miss them? Not that I blame them a bit for not being there. Just wondering.

To be clear, LE does NOT have any video of him attacking Mollie, what they do have is video of him in his car following and circling around her several times correct?

Otto, it may sound terribly cruel, but I hope her heart stopped on 385th Ave. Remember the search at the pig farm happened on the same day LE received the data from the fitbit. My worst fear is data showed she was alive when left in the corn. :(

Yes, I have worried this all along. That she was hit by a car and dragged off the road and left because they thought she was dead. Depending on her injuries she could have been unable to get help. IMO.

I hope she was out of it as soon as he attacked her and just never woke up.

Does anyone know if any of those present in the courtroom were either family or friends of Mollie? Appears a few may have been especially in the first row. Important she have someone in every proceeding although I completely understand how her immediate family and the Jack family would not be present at this time give the raw emotion. I do not know how one could control themselves given the situation.

I thought possibly an uncle and a cousin. Probably more, just not immediate family.

He may speak English, but not proficiently. Rivera needs to understand his rights, the charges against him, the process, etc. Nobody wants a do-over.

Or a mistrial. If the prosecution commits misconduct, he could get a mistrial. If evidence is not allowed because of some problem, he could be found not guilty, and the government would have no recourse to retry him.

I can’t believe that this guy murdered Mollie because he was afraid of being deported. That is ridiculous, IMO. That “fear” would have taken place prior to the situation escalating to the point that it did. It makes no sense to go murder someone if one is afraid of being deported.

If I’m afraid to go to jail because I might get caught shoplifting from the grocery store, would it make sense to go ahead and stage a full fledged armed robbery? No!

Pulling up along side a girl and catcalling isn’t illegal. Flirting isn’t illegal. Saying something crude most likely isn’t either. If she had called the cops, he could have turned his vehicle around and driven away if he was so afraid. They wouldn’t have gone looking for him for catcalling or saying something crude. That would have been the end of it. That SHOULD HAVE been the end of it.

This guy killed Mollie and it has nothing to do with his immigration status. Blaming it on a fear of being deported seems, IMO, to be trying to make his crime seem understandable. Like it’s hard to blame him; he just didn’t want to get deported for flirting with or harassing a pretty girl because he wants to be here for his own child. That is wrong though.

He is a predator. He killed her simply because he wanted to. Nothing more, nothing less. If he was a citizen, he would have killed someone. If he were here visiting family on a valid Visa, or living here on a green card, he would have killed someone. If he were vacationing in Canada, he would have killed someone. If he were in his country of origin he would have killed someone. Why? Because this is who he is, it’s what makes him tick, and this is what he wanted to do.

Your entitled to your opinion; it's not ridiculous at all; it's only ridiculous because you don't agree with it.

A key question now is whether she was alive when he placed her in the trunk. She could not be abducted if she were deceased. If they believe she was alive, then more charges will follow. There are other charges such as abuse of a deceased person or tampering with evidence, etc. that could cover his crimes if she were not alive at the time. Those questions will be answered hopefully by forensics and the post mortem.
True. It will be interesting to find out if she was transported alive in the trunk to the place where the crime was committed or did he use the trunk to carry and then dispose the body where it was found. There was a road leading to the cornfield. How far by foot would he have had to walk? I thought I read that it was about 50 yards in but not sure.

Can you elaborate? Not turning up the sound on my work PC
The client was talking to the lawyer and you hear the lawyer tell the interpreter,”tell him no, it gets the ball rolling quicker,” in reference to client waiving right to prelim trial. With this many interpreters, I can’t imagine client lawyer privilege can be maintained if media is allowed.

Here is what I am wondering:
How many other crimes he has forgotten

How he did not know what he just did when "his statement" arrest warrant pg 4
Was after he harassed Mollie the Next thing he remembered was being at a intersection where he promptly made a U turn and headed for the corn--not the earbud first then corn.

He admitted to harassing Mollie because he was on vid. How it went down I am not sure but I do not think Mollie would allow a 5'3" punk like to sweep her off her feet without a Major fight.

I have heard so many answers to this question: When did LE first receive the tape. I have heard a few days after her abduction to Friday of last week.
Just to be clear IMOO IF the tape was only given to LE last week --I sure as hell hope they do not qualify for the reward money--after all that is probably why the waited THAT LONG--guess the $400,000 wasn't good enough and this would not look good for them How do you sit on a tape that could have solved this case a month ago?

…...and yes this will be a star making case for an attorney ….but I do not think it be the case if you want a Supreme Court seat in Iowa.

Do we actually know more about his exact immigration status? I heard on the radio (CNN HLN) that his employer claims that he came back cleared in whatever database they check for work? Which could be a lie for self-defense of course. Or actually true. Dreamer?

“Rivera is an undocumented immigrant from Mexico, and it is unclear how he passed the background check. E-Verify is an online system through which the government checks job applicants' backgrounds for employers.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/6abc.c...thian-rivera-passed-background-check/4028143/

That's called dotting the i's and crossing the t's, to minimize his chance of a "no hablas" defense or appeal of a conviction. There can be NO confusion as to whether or not he understood his rights, or due process. I'm certain that he will have the very best of attorneys. The state will want to make sure that a successful prosecution sticks for the rest of this guy`s life.
I heard her say he had the right to bond but in some cases here in TN bond is denied? I guess because we have the death penalty, capital murder?

$1,000,000,000 CASH bond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member