Australia Australia - Paddy Moriarty, 70, & his dog Kellie, Larrimah, NT, 16 Dec 2017

Did they ever find this van?

No cookies | NT News
Not that I know of. I actually don’t remember reading about it before now, even though the article was published a year ago. Police have recently stated that some of their POIs were from outside Larrimah. That could tie in with the van.

Last edited:
I cannot help but think if someone knocked on his door he was not fond of he would have not stepped out, or at least not with the dog. I put myself in his shoes and what would make me step out when my food is on the table and my dogs food is in the zapper. Perhaps the dog had to go potty and he took her out, or was his toilet in the house? Did you see a bathroom, if he had to step out to pee himself and something happened then. I do think the dog plays into this, why take the dog too? Perhaps someone had it out for him and the dog, and that makes me think of the dog issues he had with one gentleman living in that town. I wonder where that gentleman moved too after the pie lady evicted him? IMHO

Not that I know of. I actually don’t remember reading about it before now, even though the article was published a year ago. Police have recently stated that some of their POIs were from outside Larrimah. That could tie in with the van.
Perhaps the van belongs to the tourist who gave Paddy the chicken. Police would have wanted to talk to those who saw him last.

I can’t locate the article now but the local bogan humour is that Paddy went into a batch of meat pies.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
The lost man of Larrimah
BY Russell Marks

Very little is known about Owen Laurie by anyone else. Most of the locals – all 10 of them – have never met him.

He is the last witness to give evidence. Three of Paddy’s closest mates, sitting in silent hope that the inquest will deliver some answers after six baffling months, lean forward in their seats.

Laurie tells the court that, within hours of them meeting, Hodgetts had told him all about her nuisance neighbour, Paddy Moriarty. “Fran likes to talk,” he says. He’s heard stories of Paddy “over and over and over and over again, ad infinitum”.

The lost man of Larrimah | Russell Marks

Interesting.... I hadn’t read that article before...

“Following Moriarty’s disappearance, police had seized Laurie’s desktop. “See,” Currie tells him, “your computer remained logged on from 16 December through to 18 December.” December 16 was the evening Moriarty vanished. “The only time it wasn’t logged off?” Currie adds. Was something about Laurie’s routine different for those couple of days? “Could be,” Laurie says.

The following day, the inquest heard her companion, Owen Laurie, got into an argument with Mr Moriarty over their dogs.
"I told him 'don't do anything stupid'," Ms Hodgetts told the inquest.
"Yeah he was angry, because of the things that have happened in the past."
She told the court Mr Laurie had said "there's going to be trouble" on the day of the argument about the dogs.
"And I said, 'don't do anything stupid … I don't want to come back and see you in jail'," she said.

'Don't do anything stupid': Paddy Moriarty inquest told of argument days before disappearance

“I don’t want to come back and see you in jail”
Where did she go and for how long? Surely she wasn’t just ducking down the street to buy some milk.
Way out there....’up the road’ can be 500+ klms.

The following day, the inquest heard her companion, Owen Laurie, got into an argument with Mr Moriarty over their dogs.
"I told him 'don't do anything stupid'," Ms Hodgetts told the inquest.
"Yeah he was angry, because of the things that have happened in the past."
She told the court Mr Laurie had said "there's going to be trouble" on the day of the argument about the dogs.
"And I said, 'don't do anything stupid … I don't want to come back and see you in jail'," she said.

'Don't do anything stupid': Paddy Moriarty inquest told of argument days before disappearance

“I don’t want to come back and see you in jail”
Where did she go and for how long? Surely she wasn’t just ducking down the street to buy some milk.
Way out there....’up the road’ can be 500+ klms.
I don’t remember which article it was but she said she was going shopping in Darwin. Not sure how far that is from Larrimah

This comment tells me she was gone for at least a day. “I don't want to come back and see you in jail'," so I think you are right about a Darwin trip.

Mataranka is the next closest town, 50 minutes away

It stands to reason she’d have to get Bulk wholesale supplies for her business. I did a google walk through Mataranka & it looks like a one horse town until the horse died. :D
Population 350, a copshop, a pub, motel...blink and you’ll miss it.

Last edited:
This comment tells me she was gone for at least a day. “I don't want to come back and see you in jail'," so I think you are right about a Darwin trip.

Mataranka is the next closest town, 50 minutes away

It stands to reason she’d have to get Bulk wholesale supplies for her business. I did a google walk through Mataranka & it looks like a one horse town until the horse died. :D
Population 350, a copshop, a pub, motel...blink and you’ll miss it.

Just found it :

“She says she also remembers telling Laurie: “Don’t do anything stupid, because I’m going to Darwin and I don’t want to come back and bail you out of jail.”

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grammy 4