Found Deceased GUATEMALA - Catherine Shaw, 23, British backpacker, 4 March 2019

Could the lacerations and bruising be from a fall? Could the lack of clothes mean that Cat wanted to be one with nature as the sun rose? I feel really sad about this one, I hoped she was just having an episode of some sort and would be found alive. I can't bear to think that someone so chilled might have ended her days in fear.
I'd like to see her as a free spirit as well, discarding her clothing along the hike up and sitting atop a lookout watching and welcoming a splendid sunrise. Since LE is calling it a homicide though, seems there must be some evidence for that. Plus, again, the puppy being abandoned on top of the lookout is a red flag for me that something unexpected happened to her. If she basically just fell, is it possible to land in a cavern? I honestly expected them to find her in the lake because of just that...a fall. JMO

An earlier post says that her nude body was found in a cave with numerous lacerations.

A big difference with Grace Millane is that Grace met a man online and went to his hotel room with him. Catherine went hiking alone in the dark on rough terrain to watch the sunrise.

The photo of Cat from one of the Guatemalan news sources, dead and nude, did not show her in a cave. The news source has since taken the photo down.

Having lived in Guatemala the past 26 years I am shocked by how young tourists think they are in a version of Disneyland here. Guatemala has at least 65 women murdered every month, very few cases are prosecuted and it has one of the highest rates of femicide in the world. Tourists are generally safe here if taking precautions. Guatemalans, especially women are the targets. This country has a very long history of violence starting over 500 years ago. Poverty, violence, corruption are rampant. Human life is cheap and human rights don't exist.

I visited Guatamala and Honduras in 2011 for six weeks and got a similar impression. I found a feeling of unease despite seeing nothing happen while was there I just never felt comfortable anywhere I went there. I am male and was 27 at the time.

I agree, you simply cannot afford not to take the necessary precautions regarding safety visiting that part of the world.

Regarding post 152 @Hjp - please do not victim blame.

I'm not blaming anyone Bugurl, I'm just pointing out that women wandering off in the dark alone are taking a very real risk of being attacked. As a 23 year old woman I think she should have known better and made a naive decision.

Of course its not her fault in terms of what happened to her.

Yes, I too saw it. Wish I hadn’t. She was murdered. MOO

OK, well if the family was there and witnessed their daughter being exploited in this vulgar manner it may explain why they wanted their daughter's body removed immediately. It sounds like they may have been trying to protect her dignity. I can't image what they are going through right now. It is a different world over there. MOO

I feel soulless that my greatest concern is for this little baby dog :( we adopted our last at close to this age and she was skiddish her whole entire life based on trauma she experienced as a wee pup. Cat very clearly loved the puppy, to carry them along to see the sunrise. What a sad set of circumstances.

Last edited:
OK, well if the family was there and witnessed their daughter being exploited in this vulgar manner it may explain why they wanted their daughter's body removed immediately. It sounds like they may have been trying to protect her dignity. I can't image what they are going through right now. It is a different world over there. MOO

I have no doubt that there were many taking photos. I totally agree that if that were my child I would move them myself. The Ministerio Publico should have been there anyway.

I'm shocked ... but not surprised .... the world is a hell hole sometimes. Poor Cat. She had a beating, loving heart. I hope someone adopts her puppy. That should be the least one can do for her now.

Cops believe Brit backpacker was murdered on Guatemala volcano

BRIT backpacker Catherine Shaw, 23, may have been murdered on a Guatemala volcano hiking trail notorious for gun-wielding bandits, cops say.

[...]

Local police officer Felix Cruz, who is based in San Pedro, said shortly before the discovery of the remains that cops had identified a number of potential suspects.

He said attacks in the area around the mountains in the vicinity of Indian Nose and near Volcano de San Pedro occurred, but foreigners were never victims of violence.

[...]

The telegraph reports that she left the hotel at 1:37am in the middle of the night then came back approximately 2 hours later at 3:19am. What was she doing I wonder at that time in the morning?. She eventually left again at 5:37 so would have still been dark at that time, by the time she reached the summit it would have been twilight or near sunrise.

Secondly she had a friend with her so why did she choose to go the trail by herself? Even if her friend didn't want to go up with her she could have easily asked someone else.

Thirdly, why did she go up barefoot? and why didn't she take her phone with her in case of an accident?.

I'm thinking she may well have met someone when she left the hotel the first time and planned to either meet them at the top or along the trail later but had to go back to the hotel for some reason, but I am just speculating on that.

Questions were asked why Cat's friend Elena left the hotel and then ended up coming back to see if Cat was there.

I think this may give some insight into that:

"The Austrian owner of Mayachik hotel, who did not want to be named, claimed the backpacker and a pal had handed out cookies with cannabis in them.

She said: “They checked in and came back and put a box of cookies in reception. My colleague asked what was in the cookies and they didn’t say.

“They offered them to my colleague and other guests and everyone ate the cookies.

“I came down and also ate three cookies.

“An hour later and suddenly I felt completely spaced out, everything was spinning. We smelled one and it smelled like hash.

“I felt like I was dying.”

The hotel owner said he had asked her to leave last Monday, following the incident"

Monday was the 4th - the last time Cat was seen MOO

Marijuana is illegal in Guatemala
Legal status of marijuana in Guatemala - Cannabis.info

Last edited:
Questions were asked why Cat's friend Elena left the hotel and then ended up coming back to see if Cat was there.

I think this may give some insight into that:

"The Austrian owner of Mayachik hotel, who did not want to be named, claimed the backpacker and a pal had handed out cookies with cannabis in them.

She said: “They checked in and came back and put a box of cookies in reception. My colleague asked what was in the cookies and they didn’t say.

“They offered them to my colleague and other guests and everyone ate the cookies.

“I came down and also ate three cookies.

“An hour later and suddenly I felt completely spaced out, everything was spinning. We smelled one and it smelled like hash.

“I felt like I was dying.”

The hotel owner said he had asked her to leave last Monday, following the incident"

Monday was the 4th - the last time Cat was seen MOO

Marijuana is illegal in Guatemala
Legal status of marijuana in Guatemala - Cannabis.info

Marijuana is HIGHLY illegal in Guatemala. It truly is considered an evil drug. Pot is so far from becoming legalized here, it just won't happen.

Last edited:
I read her parents were on their way to Guatemala, have they arrived? Are they there yet, I've no idea how difficult a place it is to reach from the UK. TIA

This was posted 3 hours ago.

"Her father Tarquin Shaw, who issued a heartfelt video appeal alongside Ms Shaw's mother Ann, has already travelled to the Central American country and is due to meet with British Embassy officials."

Body found in search for missing woman

"Her father, Tarquin, was last night due to arrive in the Central American country. "

Guatemalan search party find jacket belonging to missing British backpacker two miles from hostel | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
I read her parents were on their way to Guatemala, have they arrived? Are they there yet, I've no idea how difficult a place it is to reach from the UK. TIA

There is no direct flights from the UK to Guatemala to my knowledge however it is common for people travelling to central America to stop over in Miami for a quick transit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back