CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that law enforcement has spoken to everyone involved and the story about KG freaking out at the party checks out. I just can't see it being just MJ. It may be possible but I have been around people that smoke all my life ( I personally do not) and if anything I have seen MJ have the opposite effect that KG is reported to have displayed. I guess if one consumed enough of it there might be a reverse effect but it doesn't seem plausible.

Is there any definitive information regarding the car and repair shop etc.? I know it has been posted that the car was damaged and was in the repair shop but I have not seen a specific quote in a news story establishing a date.

So many of the discrepancies cited on behalf of the BD and SM can be explained and/or not substantiated.

This case is different. I usually get an idea what I think happened early on ( right or wrong) but with this one, I have no idea. Neither the BM nor SM/BF seems overly believable and there are issues on both sides. The only theory that I have thought of seems to make any sense is:

SM goes to pick up KG. KG is running down the road at night and SM sees her cell phone light as she stated. She accidentally hits KG with the car. If SM was intoxicated she may be afraid to come forward with that bit of info. They bring KG home and think she will be OK but they awake too find that she has passed away. This is just a theory and like all the others has many holes.

This case is different. I usually get an idea what I think happened early on ( right or wrong) but with this one, I have no idea. Neither the BM nor SM/BF seems overly believable and there are issues on both sides. The only theory that I have thought of seems to make any sense is:

SM goes to pick up KG. KG is running down the road at night and SM sees her cell phone light as she stated. She accidentally hits KG with the car. If SM was intoxicated she may be afraid to come forward with that bit of info. They bring KG home and think she will be OK but they awake too find that she has passed away. This is just a theory and like all the others has many holes.

My thoughts exactly.

The only theory that I have thought of seems to make any sense is:

SM goes to pick up KG. KG is running down the road at night and SM sees her cell phone li. She accidentally hits KG with the car. If SM was intoxicated she may be afraid to come forward with that bit of info. They bring KG home and think she will be OK but they awake too find that she has passed away. This is just a theory and like all the others has many holes.
I believe this to be a very possible theory IMO. I was thinking this could have happened as well. And if KG was running up the street when SM was driving to pick her up, people at the party would not have witnessed the accident.

I know it isn’t my business, but I would really like to hear these two audio recordings that SM took.

We can learn a lot of things from the recordings ...

- If SM was possibly intoxicated that night (slurred speech, etc.), thus maybe supporting the car accident theory
- Moreover, Karlie discussing injuries from the possible car accident
- Karlie’s state of mind (we could possibly get a better idea of what specific drug she was experiencing these effects from)
- If Karlie was exhibiting symptoms of a head injury (or any injury, really) or not
- The SM’s attitude toward KG due to what happened that night ... Was she mad? Furious? Comforting and reassuring, just as Dr. Phil noticed and commented on when he listened to part of the recording on the show?

Idk, but I definitely think the audio presented to Dr. Phil was edited by the SM to only include the “good” parts that make her look like a good parent and present her in a positive light. I’m sorry to say this and if it isn’t allowed I apologize. I’m not trying to implicate the SM but the whole audio situation is shady to me, in MY opinion.

JMO IMO

I would not assume anything about what law enforcement may have done. Everyone seems to have history with each other. If the theory above is what happened, when did the SM tape Karlie? And the behavior of SM and dad is more than bizarre if it was an accident. Of course, I doubt there is any proof when or even which date Karlie was taped. May have been a previous occurrence if this was not an accident. It is difficult to weed out proven facts but some are: SM was last to see her, Karlie was heading home after party, Karlie is missing sometime after the party (not necessarily the next morning), SM whisks away kids where they are isolated, SM raises alarm, SM gets damage fixed on car and erases any evidence (likely a clue!), SM changes story multiple times (not the norm). What SM says can not be taken as fact, witnesses are likely unreliable without collaborating evidence.

Also, why did Karlie supposedly say in the car that she was afraid SM was going to kill her? Could most definitely be paranoia caused by whatever she had in her system, but that struck me as very odd. And KG “grabbing the steering wheel” in the car from the back seat? Maybe SM was driving recklessly (possibly intoxicated) and Karlie got spooked and tried to straighten the car out when SM swerved or something? Idk. I’m just thinking out loud and am probably wrong.

JMO IMO MOO

It also explains why the younger children were taken out of the home early in the morning ( they may have already been in bed when KG came home the previous night so would not have witnessed any physical injury).

I certainly would have liked to have seen an independent polygraph examiner do both of them. When Dr Phil asked them if they were polygraphed, only the dad said yes, SM was silent. And they did not state the results showed they were telling the truth. At least on Dr Phil.

I would not assume anything about what law enforcement may have done. Everyone seems to have history with each other. If the theory above is what happened, when did the SM tape Karlie? And the behavior of SM and dad is more than bizarre if it was an accident. Of course, I doubt there is any proof when or even which date Karlie was taped. May have been a previous occurrence if this was not an accident. It is difficult to weed out proven facts but some are: SM was last to see her, Karlie was heading home after party, Karlie is missing sometime after the party (not necessarily the next morning), SM whisks away kids where they are isolated, SM raises alarm, SM gets damage fixed on car and erases any evidence (likely a clue!), SM changes story multiple times (not the norm). What SM says can not be taken as fact, witnesses are likely unreliable without collaborating evidence.

But is the car repair and the timing a fact? I have seen it stated many times about the car repair but have yet to see it definitively stated when the car was taken to the shop etc. Was it the same day? I think changing stories depends on what is changing and why. Most of the discrepancies can be explained I believe.

Also, has there been any mention of phone calls made by KG after she was picked up? I know she left her phone in her room ( I believe that is what I read) but I can only assume that police checked her phone records.

I certainly would have liked to have seen an independent polygraph examiner do both of them. When Dr Phil asked them if they were polygraphed, only the dad said yes, SM was silent. And they did not state the results showed they were telling the truth. At least on Dr Phil.

The whole polygraph thing is kinda shady. Who administered it? What were the official results? Who even took the polygraph if anyone?

Personally, I would not take one. Call it distrust in the technology but I do not think that passing a Polygraph does much in the eyes of the law to dissuade them from focusing on a suspect while failing one most certainly will catch there attention. It seems a no win situation to me. ( I also have family in LE whom have shared the same advice)

It was only dad answering on DP and not clear they both were polygraphed. And its not clear to me the FBI were involved or would have polygraphed. If local law enforcement, I would encourage a more independent one without the conflict of past history. Maybe someone else has info on that. It would be a very big step to properly determine if they both are truthful, at least one of the versions of the story. From what I have read and seen on DP, when I weigh facts to possibilities (walked off, accident, purposeful act), any could occur but the behaviors during and after make the first two possibilities hard to believe in. Who tapes, changes stories, whisks kids away as first step, worries about car at all, "saunters" down the road, and on and on . . . The behaviors make all look so suspicious but facts have not all been properly uncovered.

I wonder the same?! Haven’t heard anything from ANYONE at that party, and I’d be interested in hearing what they have to say. I’m sure LE has spoken to them but it seems they are keeping it close to the vest. :oops: Possibly because of the drug usage involved?! But if it was just MJ, it wouldn’t really matter, as isn’t CA a legal recreational state? They were underage, though ... Right?

I agree with you about the meth. Her symptoms match perfectly IMO. If it was laced with anything, my first guess would be that. LSD wouldn’t withstand the heat, like you said.

There are a lot of teens from Bishop talking on various pages about this-- but like I said we can't discuss that.

The boyfriend posts a lot on FB. His posts about missing her are heart breaking to read.

He says that Karlie became paranoid and scared of him and everyone at the party. He said they all smoked the same pot and everyone else was fine.

IMO someone gave her LSD and she took it at the party. I think people are too focused on the marijuana they smoked. She could have taken something totally separate from the marijuana. BM says that Karlie asked her what LSD was like. So she was obviously thinking of trying it.

I don't think SM hit her with the car.

My gut says she passed away in the desert. I pray that is wrong. It can be very hard to find a body. I have read so many cases where they end up finding a body right near where they had searched for months. IMO the most simple answer is usually correct. It does bother me that the dogs didn't pick up her sent. But dogs aren't fool proof.

@kaykay543 I think her taking something on top of smoking the MJ is very possible. I actually believe that’s what happened now IMO. Don’t think anything was “laced” anymore. Whatever was in her system I think she ingested orally and I agree that the best bet is LSD (thinking she had a “bad trip”). I’ve been around plenty of people on LSD alone (and LSD + MJ) and they all have exhibited those same symptoms: severe paranoia, inability to calm down and sleep, severe anxiety, constantly thinking something’s wrong, thinking they will die, hallucinating, etc. Especially if they did LSD for the first time. You never know the potency or how you will react to that stuff. It does add up. Good point.

I’ve been following, and I am also now thinking this looks like a bad LSD trip. I also think she could have taken it separately from smoking MJ. Maybe most people at the party didn’t even know—could have been just her and one other person or just her alone. She could have had it and decided this was the day or whatever.
You can have a really bad “panic attack” from getting too high on MJ, but IMO it’s typically from edibles and it usually goes away quicker than that and would NOT keep you up all night.
It’s just such a mystery of what happened to her that morning though. So strange.

I could see LSD being a possibility, if taken separately. Particularly if everyone else smoked the same MJ. I guess I was leaning towards meth as it seems to be more readily available these days.
I can't seem to find any reason, outside of an accident, that SM and BD would harm KG. I am not getting it.
I don't think a drug OD in the home is plausible. If the drugs were consumed at a party that the parents did not even know she was attending, why cover it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhughes0