Mom unable to register daughter because she (mom) did not follow the dress code.

I'm not offended that you have a different opinion from me and others here either. However, our different opinions are not necessarily shaming or bullying. I did want to point that one out.

I haven't seen anyone here using language intended to humiliate (shame) or seek to harm or intimidate (bullying) the mom. People are pointing out certain dress types might not be the most appropriate clothing choice for the occasion (as evidenced by the reaction she got from the school).

I do want to add that I'm really referring to the sleep shirt only. I don't see much wrong with her head scarf.

All MOO/JMO
Thanks JanetElaine. I was largely referring to the school.
Appreciate your nice response. : )

I have no problem with the school's dress code. The school let everyone know, and it is on them to follow the rules, or go elsewhere. I don't know what's so hard. If you don't like the school's rules, don't go there.

I have no problem with the school's dress code. The school let everyone know, and it is on them to follow the rules, or go elsewhere. I don't know what's so hard. If you don't like the school's rules, don't go there.

But how would the Mom know the school rules? She was going to enroll her daughter at the school so she wouldn't have known what rules this particular school had until at she enrolled her daughter and was given information and rules.

I used to teach school, and learned that we learn very subtle "lessons" from our family. One of those lessons is how to dress for various activities.

This Mother never had that "advantage". And now, her daughter won't be around peers that could have helped her learn these unspoken, untaught, subtle cues that give people an advantage in being successful in society. Sad, but true.

I used to teach school, and learned that we learn very subtle "lessons" from our family. One of those lessons is how to dress for various activities.

This Mother never had that "advantage". And now, her daughter won't be around peers that could have helped her learn these unspoken, untaught, subtle cues that give people an advantage in being successful in society. Sad, but true.

If you're referring to the daughter not getting into the school the mom went to enroll her in, she did. Mom went back the next day in different clothes and signed her up.

A disgusting example? The principal, Carlotta Brown, made it clear on April 9 in "A Message to Parents Regarding Dress Code" that the dress code applies to all who want to enter the building and it will be strictly enforced. Most parents want their children attending high schools with very high standards.

The school didn't tell the woman how to dress, they simply didn't allow her inside the school because she wasn't dressed in accordance with school policy. She also wasn't a parent of an existing student but was a complete stranger trying to enter a secured facility. If she had been a male wearing a wife-beater undershirt and sporting gang tattoos should he be allowed to saunter in?

After the incident, the principal posted a notice on the school's website that the dress policy applies to EVERYONE. What a shame that she has to remind people that a high school is a professional environment.

@MadisonHS_HISD

What on earth was this woman wearing that leads one to compare to gang tattoos? Smh.

Sure, but if mom brought a legal case? I'd be curious to see who would win it. That's all I meant.

I find it quite surprising that many people seem to be okay with her wearing what to me looks like a sleep shirt when enrolling her daughter in a new school. For me, there is such a thing as a time and a place, and something about first impressions. I must be getting old.

JMO
I have no doubt if the woman filed a lawsuit she would lose. And, I agree, it appears to be a sleep shirt. I thought she looked like she had just rolled out of bed.

JMO

If you're referring to the daughter not getting into the school the mom went to enroll her in, she did. Mom went back the next day in different clothes and signed her up.

Sorry to quote myself, but I said this because I know I read it somewhere, and was looking for the link, but now I can't find anywhere that actually says this. So I have nothing to back that up with, consider it rumor.

But how would the Mom know the school rules? She was going to enroll her daughter at the school so she wouldn't have known what rules this particular school had until at she enrolled her daughter and was given information and rules.

uh, the dress code is on the school district's website. All she had to do was look. She sure had no problem finding the school board phone number or how to contact the news media.

JMO

Hm. Have people seen what the Khardashian women wear for instance?

What about the pictures of FLOTUS?

What exactly are females supposed to deduce about being successful?

The dress code applies to all who want entry into that school. Has nothing to do with gender. GMAB.

Hm. Have people seen what the Khardashian women wear for instance?

What about the pictures of FLOTUS?

What exactly are females supposed to deduce about being successful?

Valid point. But those women know how to dress for what occasions, based on subtle cues they learned from their families or friends who are in not only a higher socioeconomic class, but also raised in environments that provided social cues on appropriate attire for social occasions.

I should write a book on this. I used to interview prospective teachers, teaching assistants, and student teachers. Some interviewees came to the interviews wearing what we consider "normal" business attire. Some very well qualified candidates came dressed, like they were going to a bar, but I realized that they perceived that they were "dressed up" correctly, according to how they perceived dressing up should be. I didn't judge people on their clothing, but we added a substantial portion of our new employee manual on dressing for teaching school, that was peer reviewed, and went to the union as well for review.

We didn't want any new teachers showing up for work in a mini dress nightgown.

In the photo of the woman, the garment doesn’t look sheer or see thru. It may be, and it’s not obvious, unless the sun or lighting is shining directly on it. It could be a knit T-shirt fabric that is heavier than a sheer nightgown. Manufacturers will design for a low end and a high end market. It’s possible to see what appears to be the same garment made cheaply and another made better. One being sold at the discount store and one at the trendy mall store.

What occurred to me was, the length of the garment in the back may not provide full coverage. I wonder if that was why it was noticed.

Valid point. But those women know how to dress for what occasions, based on subtle cues they learned from their families or friends who are in not only a higher socioeconomic class, but also raised in environments that provided social cues on appropriate attire for social occasions.

I should write a book on this. I used to interview prospective teachers, teaching assistants, and student teachers. Some interviewees came to the interviews wearing what we consider "normal" business attire. Some very well qualified candidates came dressed, like they were going to a bar, but I realized that they perceived that they were "dressed up" correctly, according to how they perceived dressing up should be. I didn't judge people on their clothing, but we added a substantial portion of our new employee manual on dressing for teaching school, that was peer reviewed, and went to the union as well for review.

We didn't want any new teachers showing up for work in a mini dress nightgown.

Wearing little to nothing showing all body parts apparently is acceptable nowadays.

Wearing clothing that covers those parts is a big step, to me, nowadays,

It used to be that topless was big on the beach where I live, but now it is thong bikini bottoms. They are so tiny that I wonder why they bother . These are rich people. Some men wear them as well

Where I live, the population is religious and they find it offensive, But these well to do people who can afford cruises that may cost $30,000 pp do not care.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back