ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmmm. Your response prompted me to wander. Or wonder. Take your pick.

Okay, this will have many open ends. Obviously, because we still do not have Serenity.

Serenity ran up the road. She got further than anyone has theorized. She succumbed to the bitterly cold temps. She will be found as they expand their searches.

Serenity ran up the road. She went off into the terrain. She came back towards the road, and was picked up by someone.

Serenity never ran anywhere, she went to a pre-planned vehicle, and was whisked to a happier life.

So many variables, so few solid clues, so many more possibilities IMO.
I hope whisked away for a better life. I’m sure everyone hopes that. I guess they’ve checked to make sure no employees quit before or after she ran away.

Pennington County SO on Twitter (Video)
UPDATE 4-19-19: We have not found Serenity Dennard after another long day of searching with 52 people. Two Colorado dog teams will resume their efforts Saturday. Serenity has been missing since February 3.
6:46 PM - 19 Apr 2019

Search for Serenity continues
[...]

On Friday, 52 searchers from 10 different agencies covered several areas combing the rough terrain for any sign of Serenity.

Officials say they have plotted out several areas she could have gone based on her size, age, the weather, and the terrain. They have officially cleared four of those areas.

"We keep on pushing out further and further from the Children's Home," said Lt. Kraig Wood with the Pennington County Sheriff's Office. "Right now our sections are going out about two miles and we will keep going out if need be, but right now, we want to really work on the most probable areas first."

[...]

The main focus of the search is the area north of the Children's Home. In addition to the search crews, they also brought in two dog teams from Colorado.

[...]
The search doggies are angels with fur IMO :)

Hmmmmm. Your response prompted me to wander. Or wonder. Take your pick.

Okay, this will have many open ends. Obviously, because we still do not have Serenity.

Serenity ran up the road. She got further than anyone has theorized. She succumbed to the bitterly cold temps. She will be found as they expand their searches.

Serenity ran up the road. She went off into the terrain. She came back towards the road, and was picked up by someone.

Serenity never ran anywhere, she went to a pre-planned vehicle, and was whisked to a happier life.

So many variables, so few solid clues, so many more possibilities IMO.
I still think the best hope of finding her is the black snow boots. It’s about the only thing wildlife would leave behind from the remains. If they were pink or purple there would be a higher possibility they’d be noticed. But they’re black, they’ll blend in well with the terrain. They could possibly find the waistband of the pants because the construction of the garment is sturdier.

Thanks for posting that!!

Very interesting that she also feels (like may of us) that Serenity is not going to be found in the woods and that something else happened. Sounds like there's a lot more she's going to be sharing with us.

Good for her for keeping this case alive.
I admire this woman. You don’t see this kind of commitment everyday from State Senators. Making videos etc love her compassion.

I think if people look at where they live and make a mile circle around where they live, they may get an idea of what it would take to search.

Add terrain and hidey holes. Trees. A nightmare.
Factor in that hypothermia would make her hide under or inside of nature’s (or neighbor’s) hidey holes and the possibilities are mind boggling. You nailed it with nightmare. MOO

I used to think that, too, until I read about many cases on here where the dogs missed the person
Over and over again. And, they're not just missed by dogs, but also by SAR teams, drones, etc. I'm sure you remember Christina Morris, don't you, human? Classic example. She was found in a field where LE and volunteers had searched multiple times.

Maddox Ritch was found in an area that had been searched on foot, and by ATV's, kayak teams and drones.

James McGrogan - SAR teams searched for five days and didn't find him. He was found about two weeks later by skiiers in an area (an ice fall) that was previously searched.

Kenny Woodd-Cahusac is another example. LE used a bloodhound but said a snowstorm hindered both the dog and officers. Kenny was found near his home in an area that was previously searched.

Dale Hunter was found in an area that was already searched using K9 teams and air support. He was found in a ravine by a private citizen who continued to search after LE's search was called off.

Etc. Etc. Etc. MOO

Last edited:
Search dogs should excel and finding someone in ornunder nature, tho, even if people don’t. The fact that search dogs have found nothing is curious, IMO
The snowfall hid any directional scent trail. She could be up to a mile or so away in any direction of wilderness (although I believe it will be closer than that.) Dogs searching every nook and cranny in that amount of area is not feasible, so they are trying to predict search areas. I hope she is found soon, however that might happen. MOO

That’s one thing I’ve been thinking-that she may have terminally burrowed. Hopefully they are able to look in places this could have occurred.
I think she is out there somewhere in the wilderness and burrowed from hypothermia. Starting to doubt myself the more time passes, but I really do still think it’s the likeliest answer. So many places she could be out there. MOO

Dogs are a big help and can do some wonderful things, but they aren't infallible, unfortunately.

I hope they go back and revisit that one stretch of hillside where the video showed a dog quartering across a snowfield like there was something he couldn't quite locate.
I was thinking that same thing. When the dogs first started searching that one dog by the creek stopped. I hope they retrace their steps in where they initially had the dogs. It would not surprise me if her remains were found closer to a mountain lion den in a remote area. Trail cameras would be beneficial around the children’s home.

I helped with foundation training on a fema disaster live find dog and they are trained to ignore dead people. Cadaver dogs need some decomposition. I’m not sure what would find a freshly deceased person in sub freezing temps. By now I would expect a cadaver dog to be more successful.

I am so stuck on Serenity hanging outside when it was deadly cold. Imo, when a kid doesn't return when they get cold or hungry, it is a sign that they
Couldn't come back. And in this case, I feel that she would have been cold and miserable very quick, and would have returned to the building asap. Or the cold would have struck her down before she got very far. And yet she hasn't been found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa